Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 18:50   #151
BHPian

Raining in Chennai too. Yes, the wipers work very well and I need to adjust their speed too.

In fact, since the blades are new, I just pour some water liberally on the windshield and engage the wipers to clean the windshield in the morning.
Windshield is pucca clean. Then I wipe the excess water off with a cloth.

If I can get some Colin/Pril, then I'd dilute it with some water and can use it on the windshield too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
These days, Bangalore get a lot of evening rains. Very happy with rain driving, especially at night in my Figo ! The great overall view that Figo provides, is a big boon in rain driving at night. And the front wipers do a good job. My only issue is that the speed 1 on the wiper itself is a bit faster for me in drizzling conditions. I think the speed can be programmed, read it in the manual. Anyone tried that yet ? Generally I am not very good in doing these kind of things, especially reading the manual and following all those instructions. ( like click this button twice, that button thrice, wait for some time blah blah).
Old 20th May 2010, 18:59   #152
BHPian

Brix - Have you tried cleaning your wind shield with newspaper ? Try that, it make it so clean ! Pour water, do all your washing etc. Then take a newspaper, just put on the wind screen. It will blot all the excess water and then you can wipe it very clean with same paper. Same thing you do with a cloth, it always leaves some wipe marks, you will never be 100% happy ! Try with paper and you will be amazed how clean it looks.
Old 20th May 2010, 19:53   #153
BHPian

I've used newspapers - but I'm unhappy with them. They leave those little paper fibers, like cloth lint.

Could you specify the exact newspaper? I used Deccan Chronicle and some tamil newspaper.

But nothing beats a Microfiber cloth. The glass simply gleams.
I'm still experimenting with different types of wiping materials.

One more thing - for hard to remove spots, read that ordinary Colgate toothpaste is the best. <Need to check that out>

The Figo windshield has a tendency to pick up dirt a lot.

Quote:
Brix - Have you tried cleaning your wind shield with newspaper ? Try that, it make it so clean ! Pour water, do all your washing etc. Then take a newspaper, just put on the wind screen. It will blot all the excess water and then you can wipe it very clean with same paper. Same thing you do with a cloth, it always leaves some wipe marks, you will never be 100% happy ! Try with paper and you will be amazed how clean it looks.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:24   #154
BHPian

Quote:
I think the speed can be programmed, read it in the manual. Anyone tried that yet ?
Not sure about Figo, but in Fiesta, on the wiper stalk, you just need to rotate the circular ring/knob and select the speed (avlbl from 1 to 6)..I guess, since Figo interiors is a copy/paste job from Fiesta, it should be the same;-}

Quote:
Same thing you do with a cloth, it always leaves some wipe marks, you will never be 100% happy ! Try with paper and you will be amazed how clean it looks.
Post wiping with a wet cloth, leave the windshield to dry and then buff it off with an absolutely dry micro-fibre cloth or the old-fashioned yellow cloth..that way all wipe marks will vanish, and the surface will be smooth, which will also prevent dust particles from sticking.

Particulalry in rains, the trick is to have the glass smooth..if it is squeaky clean, the wiper blade will start shuddering becos of the extra resistance. Water droplets will tend to stick and create a film over the glass, which wipers cannot remove.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:52   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
I've used newspapers - but I'm unhappy with them. They leave those little paper fibers, like cloth lint.

Could you specify the exact newspaper? I used Deccan Chronicle and some tamil newspaper.
For best results use any newspaper with a raw look.
i.e it should not have a polished look like Hindu and most importantly a B&W newspaper.

If you travel by OMNI bus you can watch them clean the windshields at the place they stop for eating., in case you want to learn the right technique.

This technique also works best in cleaning any kind of mirrors in combination with a soft talcum powder like cuticura.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:57   #156
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Tamilpaper Daily thanthi is the best. Need to fold like a 40page notebook and wipe. Will be Excellent. To remove spots Amway car wash (even sachets are now available) works very well. Never use any detergent powder or soap.
Old 21st May 2010, 13:09   #157
BHPian

Wow ! Great discussion on what newspaper is best for cleaning wind shield :-)

My trial was only with "Mathrubhoomi", a Malayalam daily and the result was good. It will leave some small lint like bits if it is too wet. So better use a new sheet after blotting out the water by paper.

@Brix - Yes, the wind shield is accumulating dirt pretty fast.

There is another age old technique used by truck and taxi drivers, especially in rainy season. Using tobacco to clean wind shield. Guess it is effective in preventing water droplets sticking to the glass. It must be working as it is so popular ! Not sure if it has any negative impact for the glass.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:07   #158
BHPian

Quote:

There is another age old technique used by truck and taxi drivers, especially in rainy season. Using tobacco to clean wind shield. Guess it is effective in preventing water droplets sticking to the glass. It must be working as it is so popular ! Not sure if it has any negative impact for the glass.
My dad used to remind me that it is not the tobacco they sell in packets (flavoured with menthol etc), but uncut tobacco
Old 21st May 2010, 18:17   #159
BHPian

Jeez - beer is a superb conditioner. And tobacco is a superb windshield cleaner.

I'll pass.

I'm going to buy Colin/Pril and use them. And the Amway satchets too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
My dad used to remind me that it is not the tobacco they sell in packets (flavoured with menthol etc), but uncut tobacco
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:25   #160
BHPian

Looks like my FE is gradually increasing..Yesterday, when DTE was showing 75, I did a refill for Rs 500. That translates into about 12.5 liters of Diesel in Bangalore. After that DTE was showing 287. So for the addition of 12.5 liters, as per DTE, I would get 212 km which means 16.96 or I can say 17. Isn't it good for now ?

The route I take is extremely slow with 3 fly over constructions on the way. Lot of crawling and start stop driving. To cover a distance of 13 km, I take about 1 hour. So no point in blaming Figo for less mileage ! Yesterday I was watching the DTE figure while driving back home. From Agara junction to Outer ring road - Sarjapur road junction, it is under 1 km. It was crawling which took about 10 minutes and I could see the DTE figure coming down by 3 km while I covered less than 1 km distance.
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:55   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Tamilpaper Daily thanthi is the best. Need to fold like a 40page notebook and wipe. Will be Excellent. To remove spots Amway car wash (even sachets are now available) works very well. Never use any detergent powder or soap.
Its simply amazing - the kind of facts we pick up on Team BHP!
Old 24th May 2010, 18:26   #162
BHPian

My first service will be due very soon. Most likely by early next week. Keeping my fingers crossed on how the experience will be at Lathangi Ford. Will they do the minor paint work during service ? I have some scratches under the left tail lamp. Then, the left ORVM too has minor scratches, thanks to the 2 wheeler buddies and cycle wallahs who have a penchant for those mirrors !

I hope my red hot baby will get smoother after the first service. Has anyone noticed significant improvement in gear shifting after 1st service ? I still feel it is very coarse..
Old 24th May 2010, 22:12   #163
BHPian

Wow! Don't worry your Figo service will be a smooth one.

BTW, have you received your NFP (extended warranty) from Ford ? Am yet to hear about anybody who brought from Lathangi who has received one. How do you think any warranty replacements will happen during first servcie without NFP ?

and secondly they haven't given boot mats for folks whom they have charged 1700+ on essentials(including me) till now.
Old 24th May 2010, 22:45   #164
BHPian

Quote:
My first service will be due very soon. Most likely by early next week. Keeping my fingers crossed on how the experience will be at Lathangi Ford. Will they do the minor paint work during service ? I have some scratches under the left tail lamp. Then, the left ORVM too has minor scratches, thanks to the 2 wheeler buddies and cycle wallahs who have a penchant for those mirrors !
I doubt if a paint job is part of the deal on a routine service. Are the conditions laid out in the manual ? ( my Figo is yet to arrive ).
Old 25th May 2010, 18:17   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Wow! Don't worry your Figo service will be a smooth one.

BTW, have you received your NFP (extended warranty) from Ford ? Am yet to hear about anybody who brought from Lathangi who has received one. How do you think any warranty replacements will happen during first servcie without NFP ?

and secondly they haven't given boot mats for folks whom they have charged 1700+ on essentials(including me) till now.
No warranty received yet..I took delivery on 5 Apr. At that time, dealers told that "Ford will send the extended warranty directly to you". Still waiting !

@ Indizen - I know they won't do any paint job as part of regular service. I will have to pay for it anyway. Of course, I would be more than happy if they do it as compliment or at nominal cost, as it is very minor.

Last edited by Revy : 25th May 2010 at 18:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks