Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2010, 13:22   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report

Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report

After lot of research and comparison I booked Beat LT green on 5th Feb from Kropex Bangalore. At the end of long waiting and follow-up, my car reached me on 31st March. In fact I never thought of going for a new vehicle. I was always inclined towards used cars only. Still somehow Beat styling attracted me and I decided to sell my 2001 Santro. Took 2 test drives and made a couple of more visits to the showroom before booking. Eventhough red is my favourite, the launch colour "Cocktail Green" grabed my attention. My wife also liked it very much. Red is very common, so decided on the flashy odd green colour . When I booked the car, it was told by the dealer that the waiting period is 3 to 4 weeks. Suddenly they increased it to 5 weeks. Since there is a price increase due to hike in Karnataka Road Tax and VAT after Apr 01, I started chasing the dealer continuously. I also told them that I dont require the vehicle if delivered after Mar 31st. Meanwhile I also started searching for some good used sedans in the same price range as an alternate in case if the delivery keeps on getting extended. Finally on 26th, I got the info regarding the vehicle leaving the factory. The vehicle reached the dealer on 30th and I took the delivery on 31st - almost 2 months from the date of booking. Since it was the last working day of the FY and the price increase from next day, there was huge rush for registration. I went early to the showroom on the day of delivery and observed the PDI activities and ensured that everything is fine. The car was handed-over to me by ~8.45pm. The odo showed 4.3km. The vehicle was clean. They also did polishing of both interiors and exteriors(it was a guy with 3M uniform doing this job). Got 5+ lit petrol. Got the regn number on the next day but yet to receive the RC Smart Card. As of now I am happy with the dealer, eventhough there was delay in delivering the vehicle. More over the dealer is only 0.5km away from my apartment - another added advantage for me!

Driving experience: Decided to go for a 500km (one side) long trip to my native making use of the Good Friday & Easter holiday. The entire stretch was driven by me only and I was driving with care and ensured the engine speed doesn't go beyond 2000RPM. So kept the speed @ 80kmph. The drive was very good. There were 4 adults and one child. Eventhough the boot is small compared to other cars in the segment, we were able to load all our luggage(2 avg sized air bags, 3 back packs and 2 more shopping bags). The bottle holders on the doors are really big and I could push one Horlicks bottle in it. All of us were very confortable with the drive. The Climate Control is too good (the feature I liked the most!). The seating posture is good- I did not get back pain. The rear leg room is also good because the rear seats are pushed maximum backwards compromising the boot space. The headroom at the rear is low, but front it is okay. I used ACC for the entire stretch. Checked the mileage (full tank to full tank method) and it was 15.8kmpl. Return was after 2 days. We were only 2 while returning and the route was different- slightly longer and through mountains and jungle! I enjoyed both the trips. Around 1200kms were covered during the trip. I got better mileage during return - 17.8kmpl (may be because there were only 2 persons including me). Actually I was expecting less mileage due to the hair pin curves and steep inclined roads, but got more than my expectation! Regarding engine performance, I know very well that it cannot match the K-series. So the expectations were less. The lower end torque is less compared to the competition resulting in more gear changes. GM could have done something on the gear ratios to improve this. The idling is extremely smooth and silent. I will be able comment on the high speed performance only after running-in. The in-built stereo is good at lower volumes. I use only USB & FM in low volume. I am connecting my memory card using a cable and adaptor. The file check is fast and it starts playing from where it was stopped previously. The blue illumination in the dash board is too good and everyone liked it. I liked the stylish speedo needle and the console very much. There was no rattling even in bad roads.

Got a set of alloy wheels after this trip. As of now retained the stock tyres.
With alloys the car looks stunnig. Now the Wow factor increased

Now the odo is @ 1300 in just 7 days and just got it serviced. It is only a general check-up and cleaning of filters. Oil change is only during next service.

Accessories:
Llumar sunfilms VLT-20% for sides(dark sunfilms go well with green colour)
Floor Mat
14" Alloy wheels

So far I am happy with the car.
I wish the stereo had bluetooth, driver seat had height adjustment and the mirrors were electric.

Here comes some of the photos:

Just before delivery.
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-01.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-02.jpg

On the way to Kerala:
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-03.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-04.jpg

Dash board reflection is less compared to my earlier santro.
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-05.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-13.jpg

Some more pics taken during my Kerala trip:
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-06.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-07.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-08.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-09.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-10.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-11.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-12.jpg

Roof rail
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-14.jpg

3 Barrel head lights - The smallest one is just a dummy to improve the looks. Parking light is in the main dome itself.
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-15.jpg

20% VLT dark Llumar film goes well with the Cocktail Green.
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-16.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-17.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-18.jpg

"I love my Chevy" soft toy - gifted with all GM cars.
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-19.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-23.jpg

Dash board
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-20.jpg

Under seat pull-out tray - Very useful feature (I think GTO missed this one in his review)
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-21.jpg

I use my MicroSD card along with an adaptor and a mini USB cable (comes with some of the mobiles/cameras/mp3 players - I am having 2-3 with me. The cable and adaptor gets hidden in the cubby hole under the ACC controls.
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-22.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-33.jpg

Doors open:
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-24.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-25.jpg

Rear view:
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-26.jpg

Under body is neat even after 600kms. The silencer is slightly above - doesn't get hit on rough roads/humps.
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-28.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-29.jpg
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2010, 13:33   #2
BHPian

Awesome pics Salbin! And a very good choice too. Had test-driven an LT in green just like yours' and fell in love instantly. I wish you many years and thousands of miles of happiness.

Please do post pictures of the car with the alloys.

P.S. The chevy bear seems to be thinking, "Ah, a decision well made..."
Old 11th April 2010, 13:48   #3
BHPian

Congratulations!
Nice report and even better pictures!
Old 11th April 2010, 14:31   #4
BHPian

Salbin,
I remember discussing with you when we were both booking our cars

Congrats on the green LT, its the hottest thing on the roads this moment! Be sure to show us pics of your alloys, and how much they costed etc etc.

Even though I got my car way back, youve clocked way more in a short time (I've just clocked 200km)

Congratulations once again and drive safe. I surely will have some questions for you as I'm a noob driver.
Old 11th April 2010, 17:10   #5
BHPian

Stunning car,cool colour

Congrats Salbin, on your purchase .Great pics and a nice detailed review.Thanks.IMO the car looks the best in Green.Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to click those under body pics? Did you click them from a pit?
How would you compare the BEAT with the Santro with respect to handling, refinement,and Seat comfort?
Old 11th April 2010, 18:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! The car looks amazing in green with those dark black films. You said your car has 14" alloys. But i can't see them in pictures.
Old 11th April 2010, 19:41   #7
BHPian

Thanks to all of you - Pyrotek, Aman9393, Quadmaniac & Auto-one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to click those under body pics? Did you click them from a pit?
How would you compare the BEAT with the Santro with respect to handling, refinement,and Seat comfort?
I just clicked those pics just by holding the camera close to the ground - not a pit.
My Santro was a 9year old one(1000cc) without power steering and and clocked 125000kms. So it is no-way nearby to compare
Front seat comfort is very good as the sides of the backrest is curved to hug the driver. Thigh support may be less, but I did not feel it during my trip. The entire trip of 1200km was driven by me only and I did not felt any dis-comfort or back pain. I had back pain when I was using Zen. I generally drive sitting upright.
Rear leg room is more than I expected - especially when compared with Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Please do post pictures of the car with the alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Salbin,
Be sure to show us pics of your alloys, and how much they costed etc etc.
I surely will have some questions for you as I'm a noob driver.
These pics were clicked one week back. I will post more pics with alloys soon. I was busy with work after returning from my native.
The alloys are Plati model#764
14" x 5.5
This is the one - A Lenso Samurai look alike
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-plat0764.jpg
I got set of 4 for Rs.12800
Since the resale value was too less, I decided to keep the OE rims with me.

@quadmaniac: You are most welcome for any questions either here or PM me.
Old 11th April 2010, 23:23   #8
BHPian

Salbin, excellent report, excellent photos, good colour and a good choice.
Drive safe and enjoy her to the tilt.
Old 11th April 2010, 23:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great Review. And some real good pics. I just loved that steering wheel and the seating position and cool dash. I too had booked this car and waited. But the wait got too long and i went and bought the Figo.

Congrats. Drive Safe.
Old 12th April 2010, 01:24   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase... the colour is outstanding! and sure will attract a lot of oogles!
How effective is the a/c in the city traffic? Does it drag too much when a/c is on?
Old 12th April 2010, 09:03   #11
BANNED

Congrats!! fab pictures!! some creative angles! great choice of colours! wish you happy motoring!! I heard a lot of bad things about the stereo performance.. what is you take on it?
Old 12th April 2010, 09:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation on the car. I loved the green one but I have booked Black for me. Expecting it to be delivered by this month end.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on ur latest acquisition Salbin.
Waiting to see your ride with new set of footwear. Please post the pics asap.
Keep Rollin'
Old 12th April 2010, 14:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

nice review, good pictures.

Quite dark tints you have there, but I guess its still allowed in Bangalore.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:48   #15
BHPian

Salbin, a question regarding the alloys. What happens if later you plan a tyre upgrade? I understand people recommend wider tyres for the Beat. In that case, can you still use your alloys? Or would you have to trade them in for a new pair?

Most Viewed