Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 11:13   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Yesterday I could find some time to fix the Polk db461.

Hey good job on the install, congrats. I know it is a serious pain to get the mounting tray and mouldings off. I took the help of two of my friends just to dismantle the provisions. All in all, a job well done

So how is the SQ now? Dont pump up the volume for next couple hours on them, let them run in. Keep 10hrs as a limit for now.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2010 at 21:33. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:46   #92
BHPian

Quote:
- Low end response and torque has improved. Yet to check the FE.
Good to hear about the successful ECU upgrade.
What is the rpm range that is most positively affected by the ECU upgrade and what was this range before the upgrade?

Now are you experiencing good pulling power in lower as well as higher gears? Do let know the details.

Nikhil
Old 29th August 2010, 21:28   #93
BHPian

Here is some pics of front speaker upgrade: (captured while fixing the same JBL speakers in my friends car)
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27082010079.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27082010080.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27082010078.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27082010076.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27082010077.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27082010087.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27082010088.jpg
Chevrolet Beat LT Cocktail Green: Initial ownership report-27082010086.jpg
Old 18th September 2010, 21:26   #94
BHPian

FE update after ECU re-map

Here is the first FE update after ECU re-map:
Distance: 378km
Fuel qty: 22.9L
FE: 16.5
Driving condition: Mixed (City + Highway)more than 90% with AC
Fuel: IOC Xtrapremium
Old 19th September 2010, 05:39   #95
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase Salbin (though I know it is very lateeeeeeeeeeeee, I bumped in to your thread today only). I was trying to find the boot space part which you have mentioned by adjusting the reat seats, If you think you can post a few pics on that, it would be nice.

Also, the air compressor which you have posted, can it be used with the 12V socket in the car?
Old 19th September 2010, 10:14   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Congrats on your purchase Salbin (though I know it is very lateeeeeeeeeeeee, I bumped in to your thread today only). I was trying to find the boot space part which you have mentioned by adjusting the reat seats, If you think you can post a few pics on that, it would be nice.

Also, the air compressor which you have posted, can it be used with the 12V socket in the car?
Thanks balajird.
I will try to post pics very soon.
The air compressor can be used with the 12V cig lighter socket only.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:59   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the first FE update after ECU re-map:
Distance: 378km
Fuel qty: 22.9L
FE: 16.5
Driving condition: Mixed (City + Highway)more than 90% with AC
Fuel: IOC Xtrapremium
Great FE Salbin. Please share some tips on your driving style. It would be very beneficial for the Beat owners who are getting FE in the range of 10-12 kmpl.
You have also upgraded the speakers. How is the sound quality now and how much did the speakers cost.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:43   #98
BHPian

Wow! Thats some great FE! I reckon its more of highway drives. My Estilo gives 12 to the litre! But that is mostly in bumper to bumper traffic!!

Again, good going!

EDIT: Someone asked about the windshield mount for the 5800 et all. I got it for 400 bucks from a car accessory shop.

Cheers!
Cartman.
Old 21st September 2010, 22:31   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Great FE Salbin. Please share some tips on your driving style. It would be very beneficial for the Beat owners who are getting FE in the range of 10-12 kmpl.
Generally I drive in the lower RPM range - ie up-shift early and try to drive in the 5th gear most of the times. After ECU re-map, I am able to drive in 1000 - 2000 range in most of the times(even picks-up from 40kmph in 5th gear!). Only when required I go to 2000+ rpm in the lower gears (like: overtaking, accelerating in a gradient etc.)
I dont press the accelerator pedal fully, instead press gradually as the vehicle gains speed. My 5th gear driving is having a wide speed range starting from 40~50 to 100+.
Now I am maintaining 35 PSI pressure for the tyres(front). May be the increase in FE is due to the higher pressure(not sure).
Bought a solar powered portable electronic pressure gauge from ebay. So I am able to monitor the tyre pressure closely.
Quote:
You have also upgraded the speakers. How is the sound quality now and how much did the speakers cost.
SQ is very good and I like it. Since I decided not to add a parcel tray, selected Polk 6x4". Otherwise, for the rear, a 6x9" speaker will be a batter option.
Cost:
Polk db461 - Rs.3400/-
JBL GT5-S204 - Rs.1650/-(I could not bargain, because I got it from Reliance Autozone. You may get it even cheaper than this)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Wow! Thats some great FE! I reckon its more of highway drives. My Estilo gives 12 to the litre! But that is mostly in bumper to bumper traffic!!
Again, good going!
This time it was mixed city + highway.
12kmpl in b2b seems to be okay. BTW, what is your highway FE?
Actually I was of the impression that the FE will drop after the ECU remap. But surprisingly it has increased now. May be because my normal driving RPM band has shifted to the lower side after ECU remap.
Now I have to check the consistency.
Quote:
EDIT: Someone asked about the windshield mount for the 5800 et all. I got it for 400 bucks from a car accessory shop.
Thanks for the info.
@KreativeGeek: Please make a note of the holder price..

I was not knowing the price of the holder since I got it free as a navigation pack along with the phone.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:27   #100
BHPian

salbin@ thanks a lot for the information. Did you ever notice engine knocking while ascending a ramp or slope from dead stop in 1st Gear.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:21   #101
BHPian

[quote=salbin;2078591]
Now I am maintaining 35 PSI pressure for the tyres(front). May be the increase in FE is due to the higher pressure(not sure).
Bought a solar powered portable electronic pressure gauge from ebay. So I am able to monitor the tyre pressure closely.

@ Salbin

35PSI?? Did you check the tyre walls whether this pressure is acceptable? your tube can accept this pressure, but your tyre should also help on this. There are safety issues and wear and tear of the vehicle would be more when the tyre pressure is more, so please take care of this. I hope you would not get huge difference in FE with correct tyre pressure. Safety should be the priority while driving.

I am getting a mileage of 15.8kmpl in city with 100% AC on (ECU remapped), not B2B traffic though. I maintain a tyre pressure of 32PSI and the fuel i used last time was IOC XPremium. I have tried reliance this time, will update with the FE in sometime.

Last edited by informmaha : 23rd September 2010 at 14:22.
Old 23rd September 2010, 15:10   #102
BHPian

Quote:
This time it was mixed city + highway.
12kmpl in b2b seems to be okay. BTW, what is your highway FE?
Actually I was of the impression that the FE will drop after the ECU remap.
My car gives 15 kilometers to the litre on highways. The best figures it has posted till date is 16.7 kmpl.

And btw, I spotted a Chevy Beat with smoked tail-lamps and a stupid led strip across the headlamp. The tail lamps looked okay, but the headlamps were .
Old 24th September 2010, 09:34   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Salbin

Got it checked, the tyre can hold a max of 350Kpa which is equivalent to 51 PSI approx (1Kpa = 0.145 PSI). So its safe with 35 PSI.

But there will be less contact between the tyre and the road and there will be irregular tread wear. It has its own share of advantages too which being good steering response and better cornerability. I hope you might be hearing more noise in the interiors than compared to other vehicle with nominal pressure.

Generally there will be an increase in pressure when in highways, so 32PSI would do. This is just an information from my end incase if you had not known the issues of over inflating.

Happy and safe motoring.

Last edited by informmaha : 24th September 2010 at 09:35.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:30   #104
BHPian

Quote:
salbin@ thanks a lot for the information. Did you ever notice engine knocking while ascending a ramp or slope from dead stop in 1st Gear.
Try using higher octane fuel if you get the knock.
Quote:
My car gives 15 kilometers to the litre on highways. The best figures it has posted till date is 16.7 kmpl.
And btw, I spotted a Chevy Beat with smoked tail-lamps and a stupid led strip across the headlamp. The tail lamps looked okay, but the headlamps were .
That is a good FE you are getting.
I thought of changing to smoked tail lamps, but now without seeing it on a vehicle I will not go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Hey Salbin
Got it checked, the tyre can hold a max of 350Kpa which is equivalent to 51 PSI approx (1Kpa = 0.145 PSI). So its safe with 35 PSI.
But there will be less contact between the tyre and the road and there will be irregular tread wear. It has its own share of advantages too which being good steering response and better cornerability. I hope you might be hearing more noise in the interiors than compared to other vehicle with nominal pressure.
Generally there will be an increase in pressure when in highways, so 32PSI would do. This is just an information from my end incase if you had not known the issues of over inflating.
Happy and safe motoring.
Thanks for the knowledge sharing.
I think you have done extensive study on this subject.
In fact, I was doing some experiments with different tyre pressures since I bought a digital pressure gauge. As you said, could not find much difference between 32 and 35psi.
BTW my rims are 1" wider than the OE rim - ie;R14x5.5J and tyres are stock ones.
Old 24th September 2010, 14:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Forget 35 PSI, you wont believe the shock I got, and not to mention the shop guys as well, when I had gone in for a wheel aligning balancing, at a place in Gurgaon.

An alto, had also come in, driven by a young kid, probably in his late teens (punjabi kid), fancy stereo and all, and when the checked the pressure, it showed 63 PSI.

We were all pretty stunned, as to how the wheel never exploded or whatever, and he came in for wheel aligning issues ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks