Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 10:44   #106
BHPian

[quote=informmaha;2080806]
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I am getting a mileage of 15.8kmpl in city with 100% AC on (ECU remapped), not B2B traffic though.
informmaha Great mileage dude, How you are managing 15.8 kmpl in city with 100% AC, please throw some light on your driving style.
Old 27th September 2010, 11:37   #107
BHPian

@Topolino: the quote has come wrongly in your post. 15.8kmpl is quoted by informmaha.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:31   #108
BHPian

Quote:
@Topolino: the quote has come wrongly in your post. 15.8kmpl is quoted by informmaha.
Sorry salbin. By mistake it happened. Did you notice engine knocking while climbing a ramp form dead stop or at higher rpms on uphills when car is fully loaded.
Old 27th September 2010, 15:32   #109
BHPian

[quote=Topolino;2084734]
Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
informmaha Great mileage dude, How you are managing 15.8 kmpl in city with 100% AC, please throw some light on your driving style.
Hey Topo,

Its the normal driving condition, nothing different, just that trying to maintain the RPM not to cross 2000RPM. Other than that its pretty normal driving as normal person does (not like the new user).

Don't know whether you noted my point in my post. Its not purely B2B traffic as the case of bigger cities. But still you get to use brakes a lot coz of 2 wheelers and pedestriants crossing at their will

And yeah using higer octane petrol. This time have tried with reliance, heard that reliance has higher octane rating in petrol just like shell, but the difference between shell and reliance being the price. Reliance is 55.98/l compared to 60/l for shell.

But have tried and tested with shell, have to see the difference with reliance now, will update about this soon.

Sorry could not answer your other question, since its mostly driven by 1, max by 2. This will not be fully loaded at any time for the near future

Last edited by informmaha : 27th September 2010 at 15:36.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:22   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Did you notice engine knocking while climbing a ramp form dead stop or at higher rpms on uphills when car is fully loaded.
No.
Knocking is only at sub 1000rpms (sub 800 to be precise) and I feel it is quite normal and will be there for all the vehicles.
IMHO you should not release the clutch pedal so fast and strain the engine to pull and accelerate full load from sub idling rpm. Release the clutch gradually and smoothly.
BTW which was your previous car?
I think there can be some difference in the clutch engaging pattern from vehicle to vehicle. That may be the reason you are feeling some difference.
This is my view. Without experiencing your problem, it will be difficult to comment on this.
Old 28th September 2010, 15:07   #111
BHPian

Quote:
No.
Without experiencing your problem, it will be difficult to comment on this.
I experienced the knocking problem after ECU remapping. Knocking only occurs at high engine load either when the car is fully loaded and driven on a ramp or on uphills at higher rpms. Also car became slower in achieving speed after 100 kmph (>3000rpm) in 5th gear. I even filled 91 octane BS IV petrol from Ahmedabad as only BS III 91 octane petrol is available in Udaipur, but the knocking existed, so ultimately I revert to the original Regular ECU setting. Now the problem has gone. Though the car doesn't have the pick-up as it had with advanced setting but the knocking problem is totally eliminated. Normally you won't hear knocking inside the cabin, you will have to pay extra attention and will have to keep the windows rolled down. I am asking you this because you have a technical background and you would be able to throw some light on this issue.

Last edited by Topolino : 28th September 2010 at 15:20.
Old 28th September 2010, 22:33   #112
BHPian

Quote:
I experienced the knocking problem after ECU remapping. Knocking only occurs at high engine load either when the car is fully loaded and driven on a ramp or on uphills at higher rpms. Also car became slower in achieving speed after 100 kmph (>3000rpm) in 5th gear. I even filled 91 octane BS IV petrol from Ahmedabad as only BS III 91 octane petrol is available in Udaipur, but the knocking existed, so ultimately I revert to the original Regular ECU setting. Now the problem has gone. Though the car doesn't have the pick-up as it had with advanced setting but the knocking problem is totally eliminated. Normally you won't hear knocking inside the cabin, you will have to pay extra attention and will have to keep the windows rolled down. I am asking you this because you have a technical background and you would be able to throw some light on this issue.
Good to know that you have come out from the issue by reverting to the earlier setting.
As I could understand from one of my friend working in GM is that the re-map change is basically slight advance of timing. The initial setting is tuned for the Korean driving conditions. But when Indians complained about this, they did some study on our driving style, road conditions and arrived on a modified mapping with slight timing advancing(may be in a selected rpm range). They claim that it has no effect on the engine life, FE etc and the same is validated by GM India.
AFAIK knock can occur when timing is advanced beyond a limit as well as when a lower octane fuel is used- correct me if I am wrong. So I assumed that using a higher octane fuel will be better for the new setting. I am yet to try normal petrol. Anyway next month I will be using my Beat almost every day(its my turn in car pooling to office). I will observe further and come back.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:16   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that you have come out from the issue by reverting to the earlier setting.
As I could understand from one of my friend working in GM is that the re-map change is basically slight advance of timing. The initial setting is tuned for the Korean driving conditions. But when Indians complained about this, they did some study on our driving style, road conditions and arrived on a modified mapping with slight timing advancing(may be in a selected rpm range). They claim that it has no effect on the engine life, FE etc and the same is validated by GM India.
AFAIK knock can occur when timing is advanced beyond a limit as well as when a lower octane fuel is used- correct me if I am wrong. So I assumed that using a higher octane fuel will be better for the new setting. I am yet to try normal petrol. Anyway next month I will be using my Beat almost every day(its my turn in car pooling to office). I will observe further and come back.
Salbin Thanks for the feedback. You are right knocking occurs when either timing is advanced beyond a limit or when a lower octane fuel is used. Definitely by using a higher octane petrol knocking can be eliminated but the problem is that we don't get higher octane petrol here in Udaipur. We only get BS III 91 octane petrol and I doubt whether what we are getting is even 91 octane or not. Though befoe filling I always do filter paper test, density test and quantity test but there is no method available to check the octane rating of petrol. So I decided to revert to the original ECU setting which I think is appropriate for the petrol available in Udaipur.
Old 29th September 2010, 17:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys. Interesting read. By the way, I am also a proud owner of a Cocktail Green Beat LT. Basically, it is for my wife. But nonetheless am enjoying it and the attention it gets

I will post a seperate thread later.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:13   #115
BHPian

Quote:
We only get BS III 91 octane petrol and I doubt whether what we are getting is even 91 octane or not. Though befoe filling I always do filter paper test, density test and quantity test but there is no method available to check the octane rating of petrol.
You ate right.
Even I don't know the real octane number of fuel we are getting.
BTW I am curious to know about the filter paper test and density test.
Could you please explain in detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Hey guys. Interesting read. By the way, I am also a proud owner of a Cocktail Green Beat LT. Basically, it is for my wife. But nonetheless am enjoying it and the attention it gets
I will post a seperate thread later.
Welcome thedreamcatcher to the Beat club.

Even me too enjoys the attention it gets while driving. Even now, after 6 months it is a head turner. So I feel like it is another form of pay-back that we get for the money spent.
BTW post your thread soon with pics.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:33   #116
Senior - BHPian

Will definitely do so. They were a few instances where I caught people capturing pics of the car with the mobile cams

LOL
Old 30th September 2010, 12:56   #117
BHPian

Quote:
BTW I am curious to know about the filter paper test and density test.
Could you please explain in detail?
Every customer has the right to check the correctness of quality and quantity of the fuel he/she buy. As per regulations Pump Dealer has to provide the customer all the equipments required for conducting tests.

1. You can check quality of petrol with the filter paper test: Ask the manager of the pump to provide you a white filter paper. Let two to three drops from the nozzle to fall on the filter paper and allow two minutes for the petrol to evaporate. If the petrol evaporates without leaving any stain on the filter paper, the petrol can be considered to be good.

2. You can check density of petrol with the help of hydrometer and thermometer: This is a very simple test and takes approximately 5 minutes. Ask the manager of the pump to provide you fuel in a glass jar, a hydrometer and a thermometer. Immerse the hydrometer in the fuel jar and note the reading. Then, immerse the thermometer in the fuel jar, without touching the walls of the jar, and note the reading. Then, with the help of a conversion chart available with the dealer, convert the density to 15 degree C and compare it with the recorded density/reference density from the density register maintained by the dealer. If the variation between the observed density and recorded/ reference density is within + 0.0030, then the fuel density can be considered to be correct. If the difference is more than + 0.0030, then it indicates possibility of adulteration.

3. You can check the correctness of quantity with the help of Measuring Can: Ask the petrol pump manager to provide the mandatory 5 litre calibrated Measuring Can. This Can is standardized by the state government's weight & measure department and are suppose to hold 5 litres of liquid up to the specified level (the liquid should fill up to the small hole near the neck of the can). The manager should rest the can on a level surface, reset the dispensing machine to zero and then pour petrol in the Can. Ideally, the petrol should fill up to the hole near the neck of the Can when the display shows that five litres has been dispensed. The regulation, allows a variation of +/- 15 ml in every 5 litres owing to the mechanical nature of dispensing. This means reading up to 5.01 or 4.99 would be considered within the specified limits.

If you find adulteration or incorrect quantity you can call and report to the Local Sales Officer of the Oil Company and also District Supply Officer.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:09   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Every customer has the right to check the correctness of quality and quantity of the fuel he/she buy. As per regulations Pump Dealer has to provide the customer all the equipments required for conducting tests.

1. You can check quality of petrol with the filter paper test:
2. You can check density of petrol with the help of hydrometer and thermometer:
3. You can check the correctness of quantity with the help of Measuring Can:
If you find adulteration or incorrect quantity you can call and report to the Local Sales Officer of the Oil Company and also District Supply Officer.
Thanks for sharing the info.
I was not knowing all these things.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:18   #119
BHPian

2nd FE update after ECU remap

Here is the second FE update after ECU re-map:
Distance: 530km
Fuel qty: 33.77L
FE: 15.7
Driving condition: Mixed (City + Highway) and some steep zig-zag up-hill climb (a week end trip to Nandi Hills). Driven almost 100% with AC
Fuel: IOC Xtrapremium.
So post ECU remap FE average is @ 16.02kmpl.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:33   #120
Joy
BHPian

Good mileage.
Myself will most probably get my Cocktail Green Beat LT on Friday. Will definitely ask you veteran owners for tips. Thanks all of you for helping me out.

Most Viewed