Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 06:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the buy!

upsizing the tyres/rims nullifies the warranty ! seriously?
Old 14th April 2010, 07:48   #17
BHPian

chadhrysan, congrats on the buy and welcome to the Figo TDCi club on T-BHP ! I am sure you would enjoy driving this as I have been doing since 5 Apr. Your observation about seat height adjustment is very true, it is a useless feature which just tilts the seat base. When I lift it, I find the lower back support getting even worse, so now I keep it at a low position. Anyway it does not make much difference in terms of road view.

The alloys look cool, how much you paid for that ? I am so tempted to get alloys for my red baby, and will do as soon as I can manage the extra cost. Black one or high silver, is my dilemma..Black will make the red car look more sporty but silver ones are easy to maintain. Just a wash and silver will always shine like new.

How is the FE so far ? I did about 300 km so far, it remains in the 16 km/ltr range. In the B2B traffic in Bangalore, hoping for more is too much, I guess. May be after first service, it could improve. Are you keeping the revs in check during the run-in ?
Old 19th April 2010, 10:22   #18
BHPian

Initial Ownership Experience

After almost 2 weeks of driving the car and having completed over 500 km, the following is my take on the Fi-go:

Exteriors and Interiors:

Most of this has already been mentioned. Looks are simple, yet elegant and grow up on you. The lines are neat and clean (like Polo and Punto, though I would agree they both are stunners in their own respective way).

The fit and finish is quite decent for its class, though I wish the gap between the bonnet and the lower part should have been finer. The doors close not quite with a solid feel, but much better than the "channi" type feel in some cars.

The seats are good and the fabric used looks and feels nice. I don't have much to compare to, but they are certainly better than Ikon's. The seat height adjustment is all of a gimmick. Nevertheless, I have been able to adjust the seat settings for a comfortable position. Now another issue has arisen. In this seating position the steering wheel obstructs the view of the top of the speedometer; I can’t see the 100 to 160 kph digits.

The driving seat position seems to be higher than the Ikons. The view is simply panoramic. I also like the fact that I can see the tip of the bonnet. Lack of rear power windows may be an issue to some, but not for me.

Driving: - It’s a hoot!

Cold start, the initial "takar-takar" is there but this soon goes away as the engine warms up. Sound insulation of engine noise with the windows rolled up is quite good, though some engine noise does filter in when the revs go up. I find this useful because I generally tend to upshift/downshift using the engine sound as a guide. I find the road/tyre noise above 80-90 kmph to be more of an issue. Whether this has anything to do with the Yoko A Drives that I upgraded to, I don't know. Can't compare the present noise level to that with the stock Apollo GT3's as I barely drove 20 km on those.

Clutch is very light. Gearbox is nice with a short throw, but slightly notchy. I think this will go away once the car is run in. I have some issues with the 1st gear. A couple of times the car just seemed to miss a beat and then lurch forward with a "jhutka" when driving in the 1st gear. I don't know whether this is an issue with me, or the car.

Steering, this is a strong point with Fords. Figo is no exception. The steering is crisp and precise, with good feedback. It inspires confidence because, when you steer, you know exactly where the car is going to be headed.

I am not a rubber scorcher and I rarely drive more than 110-120 kph. The engine is more than peppy enough for me, and if you change your gears at the right time, this car is a pleasure to drive. The engine and the gear ratios are very well sorted out for one to enjoy the drive. Driving on straight roads may be boring, but take the car through some curves and turns and you will be beaming. Body roll is minimal.
What I have noticed is that, for the run in period only, if you shift as per: 1st gear upto 20 kph, 2nd upto 40, 3rd upto 60, 4th upto 80 and 5th above that, you are all set. This shifting keeps you in the advised rev band range. I have not done any panic braking, so cannot comment on the ABS. Otherwise, the brakes seem to do their job well.

Now for some dislikes (the likes and other handy features have already been mentioned in GTO’s and other reviews):
- Bonnet release position: the wrong side.
- AC controls: the On/Off/Blower control should be on the near side, not the far side.
- I don’t like head lamps On/Off switch on the dashboard. Should be on the stalk on the steering wheel column.
- Wiper controls, don’t quite get the logic of these. In a lot of cars, pulling the stalk towards you activates spray cum wipe. Here, doing so activates the rear wipe. Since we have the instinct of pulling the stalk, I think we are going to see a lot of Figo drivers going around merrily with their rear wipers on. Perhaps a better configuration would have been to pull the stalk to activate front spray and wipe and to push the stalk to activate rear wipe. Another thing, the rear wiper does not have a delay function to for stopping. It stops at whatever position you switch it off at - does not go back to zero position.
- When you are giving a fuel indicator meter, why can’t you give temperature gauge meter? If it is cost cutting, then a regular temperature gauge with a digital fuel level indicator (like a cell phone battery indicator) would be more useful and acceptable.
- Placing the water bottle in the door holder as indicated is surely daft. You take out the bottle and it comes out held in your hand with the cap downwards!
- Would have appreciated split rear seats, in the top variant at least.

I am sure more of these likes and don’t likes will surface as I grow more acquainted with the car. Will keep updating.

On other things, sometimes an irritating squeak comes from somewhere behind on the right side when I go over a rough patch on the road. It’s not a rattle, more like a squeaky sound like you hear from a speaker. I have not been able to pinpoint/diagnose it as yet.

The coral dash also grows on you. Now, I don’t mind the colour that much. Mind you, having a white car helps here because IMHO only the white or the black Figo can carry the coral dash colour.

Mileage as per DTE is around 15 Kpl. Will know more at next tank full.

The autolocking feature of the doors is a good one to have, but it autolocks only the first time. It does not re-lock if you unlock the doors subsequently (someone had mentioned in a previous thread that it does so).

Qs. How do you program the key fob to unlock only the driver’s door?

Overall, I am very satisfied with my choice. I drove twice from NOIDA to Pari Chowk, G.Noida, and back, at a go, for no reason other than to ride the car. If someone had asked me earlier whether I would do such a thing, I would have replied “Are you nuts?”. I think I should plan an out of town road trip soon, or I will really go nuts.
Old 19th April 2010, 11:44   #19
BHPian

Thanks to all you guys for your kind wishes. Couldn't reply earlier as I had to go out of town, and then the thread got locked. Just posted my intial onership experience some time back.

Now for an answer to some of your queries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Your observation about seat height adjustment is very true, it is a useless feature which just tilts the seat base. When I lift it, I find the lower back support getting even worse, so now I keep it at a low position. Anyway it does not make much difference in terms of road view.
Issue with me is that in the right seating position the top of the speedo is getting blocked by the steering. Perhaps a tilt steering would have been helpful.

The alloys look cool, how much you paid for that ?
The alloys were for 12500/-.

How is the FE so far ?
I did a tankful yesterday. As per that it came out to 13.8 kpl. A bit dissapointing as of now.

Are you keeping the revs in check during the run-in ?
Yes. I change gears at 20, 40, 60 and 80 kph. Keeps the engine in the power band without going over
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
upsizing the tyres/rims nullifies the warranty! seriously?
Unfortunately yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Wow! Great looking alloys. Really changes the way the car looks. How much sis it cost for the tyres and alloy separately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
Congrats! The alloy looks very good. By the way, how much the alloy cost you.
CLJ
The alloys cost me 12500/-. The upgrade to Yoko A drives was 2200/- net for 4 tyres with exchange for the stock tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Are they white ? I think they are Silver , maybe my eyes playing tricks or maybe they are a combination of both !
Cheers
Ricky, these alloys are a combination of both. The basic alloy is powdercoated in white. They have then machined the surface of the spokes and the circumference of the rim to expose the aluminium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Congrats. With a background like that, I am surprised you even took a look at the other cars.
Actually, you are quite correct. I looked at the other cars only to justify myself that I am not biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
2 Things i want to tell you
1) whenever you mention 'After sales service', Type it as A.S.S. <----- Notice the dots, Otherwise you will always end up with 3 stars like '***' as the meaning gets changed.
Sir ji, thanks and point understood and noted.

2) Can I know your sales person name at south city ford? Did you also interact with the AGM there?
The sales person was one Mr. Deepak Rana, quite a nice fellow. I did not have any interaction with the AGM there
Old 20th April 2010, 12:13   #20
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Congrats chaudhrysan, No doubt white is the best of all colors and as expected looks stunning with Alloys. Happy motoring.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Fi go OH. Looks good with those alloys
Old 20th April 2010, 19:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
The alloys cost me 12500/-. The upgrade to Yoko A drives was 2200/- net for 4 tyres with exchange for the stock tyres.
Could you pls. let me know the outlet or its contact number where you exchanged your tyres? You may PM me if you wish.
Old 20th April 2010, 21:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! Nice color and wheels! I saw this car a few days back in sector 44 and near metro station. The white wheels look hot on the car.
Old 20th April 2010, 22:34   #24
BHPian

Congrats. The white Figo with coral dash looks a stunner.
I endorse your choice and am glad that you went for a detailed analysis of all the vehicles. It will give you greater satisfaction with your car. Even i feel that the i20 crdi and Punto multijet are no match for the Figo in terms of driving feel and maneuverability. Enjoy your drive!
Waiting for you to post some interior pics next!
Old 21st April 2010, 11:40   #25
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2389 View Post
Could you pls. let me know the outlet or its contact number where you exchanged your tyres? You may PM me if you wish.
The tyre outlet was Universal Tyre House. They have a shop in Lajpat Nagar and one in Kailash Colony. Contact: 011-65672122 (lajpat nagar). Just make sure what you want/need beforehand because if they do not have your choice in stock, they desperately try to convince you purchase something else that is in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Even i feel that the i20 crdi and Punto multijet are no match for the Figo in terms of driving feel and maneuverability.
In city, yes, but on highway Punto may be more than a match for Figo.
Old 24th April 2010, 14:54   #26
BHPian

You mentioned that you had spent 12500 for the alloys. So did you exchange the steel rims? How much did you get for them? Just want to get an idea.
Old 24th April 2010, 17:35   #27
BHPian

Awesome car man,Congrats,
Alloys matching perfectly.(which brand?)
Any Car Audio upgrades?
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:30   #28
BHPian

Congratulations, Sanjay.
Which variant of Punto were you considering, and why did you reject the Polo?
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:33   #29
BHPian

very genuine tyre dealer and a huge collection of alloys and tyres of all make.they also quote decent(final) rates.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoo View Post
they also quote decent(final) rates.
True, but you should do your research and know what you wan't to buy beforehand. Else they try to sell you something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen010 View Post
Congratulations, Sanjay.
Which variant of Punto were you considering, and why did you reject the Polo?
I was considering and TD'd the MJD Emotion+ Punto. IMO I found Figo more roomier and airy from inside and better drivability in the city. Polo was out bacause diesel was not on offer till May and I had to finalize purchase of the car before 31st of March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valapad View Post
Awesome car man,Congrats,
Alloys matching perfectly.(which brand?)
Any Car Audio upgrades?
Thanks buddy. The alloys are Prestige. No plans to upgrade the Audio, for my kind of listening the OEM is more than adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
You mentioned that you had spent 12500 for the alloys. So did you exchange the steel rims? How much did you get for them? Just want to get an idea.
I did exchange the steel rims though I don't remember the echange price as I was more concentrating on how much more I have to pay overall. The quote for the steel rims that I got from other dealers was 300/- each.

Well, have completed only 1000 km as yet. No particular issues as such with the car. Mileage I am getting is about 14 kpl, but then all driving has been in the city only, with AC on 100%. Lets see if this improves because I am reading a lot of negatives on FE in the Forum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks