Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 21:12   #46
BHPian

Thanks yaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
YES... the important part ..the FE. When we got the car on Sunday, it had minimal fuel and the fuel meter showed empty. We filled up fuel worth Rs.1000. Last evening, we completed 205kms when the fuel meter started showing half of the quarter tank and the fuel light came in. So, even if I say that Rs800 fuel was consumed, the car did 205kms in about 16.7litres of fuel i.e. 12.27km/litre.

Now, these 205kms included, me, my brother, 2 of my cousins test driving the car and we certainly did some spirited driving. I am sure, if driven decently, the car will give about 13-14km per litre. With a light foot, expect it to be over 15.

If you talk only in terms of cars, the Polo according to me is way better. Only thing I can say is better in swift is the engine. This does not mean that Polo's engine isnt good. Polo's engine is excellent, very revv happy but swifts engine is more quiet, has more power (84ps of K series against polo's 75, if I am not wrong). However, Polo's engine is better for city driving, you will require lesser gear change than swift. the engine can very well pull up from under twenty at 3rd, swift wont! Swift performs best in right gears. Cant compare engines more because I have driven K-series only for a short test drive, our swift has the G13 engine which had a 1.3L producing 88ps.

Polo is better than swift in terms of built quality, looks, interiors and ofcourse the brand name. Swift is better than polo because its a Maruti Suzuki, spares and service are very less expensive. Dealership and service network is unbeatable. Resale value is fantastic. However, it looks a bit dated, ver very common, nothing new. Just another car. When it was G13 I recommended people to buy Petrol, but after having driven the K series, I would advise you to seriously consider the Diesel. Its one heck of an engine from Fiat, Damn toooo good.

So if you want a no nonsense every day car, and you do care about the resale, spares and service it will be the swift. But if you want to go an areal route, buy the Polo. Service of VW seems to be good, I had a word with few jetta owners last time I visited the dealership and they all were very happy. I dont think Service will be an issue.

If you plan to go for Figo, I would suggest the top titanium model, safety should never be ignored, especially if you can afford it. However, if you are keen on the lower models, rather buy a swift.

Swift Vxi costing about 4.95 lac here in delhi has almost similar features to that of Polo trendline which costs about 4.87 lacs. So Swift Vxi is not VFM any more. However, the Zxi which costs about 5.76 certainly is with airbags, abs, climate control and much more.

Thanks Vroom, I got the Comfortline and the price was Rs.5.41lac (if you add 13k essential package it will be Rs5.54lac. Essential package includes kenwoods basic music system (no USB), and 2 basic 6 inch speakers. it also includes floor mats and mud flaps. The trend line including essential package costs about 5lacs (4.87 excluding essential package). This is a few thousand cheaper than the Swift Vxi (which has fog lights and rear power windows more than the features on trendline. However, trendline has Steering adjust (rack and reach) which I believe is more important than the foglights).

Thanks Utoion, traffic in Delhi is seriously becoming a chaos. Rest, I too hope it serves us well considering its our first German car. We have always been delighted to own reliable Japanese cars.

Thanks Blackasta, pictures are on their way , will post tomorrow.

Thanks Mate! I think the rear defogger and the wiper are still not an option. But I dont think it should be a problem at an additional cost.
Thanks and congrats once again.
The car looks awesome in red. Best hatchback till date, the previous was palio/punto and zen. well i dont know where to position the swift. Since the polo diesel will be costly for me, but i will try for swift DDIS.

Another help, can you let me know how much your swift has run, and about the rattle/plastic qulity issues. Seriously i once test drove a swift desire and it was having only 22k in ODO, but i thought it was more than 2lakh odo. The plastics looks good, but seemed like as if assembled in roadside. The doorpads, dash were all shaking and jumping when the doors were closed. My 65k run accent still feels sturdy and newer than that.

My daily running has increased to 60kms a day and i have to seriously reconsider.
Old 25th April 2010, 20:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
congrats on a your new car.It's a beautiful machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Now, these 205kms included, me, my brother, 2 of my cousins test driving the car and we certainly did some spirited driving.
I hope you did not exceed the running in speed/rpm considering the car is brand new.

Also does the instrument cluster show the expected FE figures.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
congrats on a your new car.It's a beautiful machine.

I hope you did not exceed the running in speed/rpm considering the car is brand new.

VW Dealer SP says that there is no running in period for Polo, since each engine goes through a through run-in and tuning at the factory once fitted on the car.

Gaurav - Is this true? What did VW dealer team tell you at the time of pre delivery check?
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2010, 12:42   #49
BHPian

Amazing pics Gaurav.she looks really hot in red, the nest colour for Polo IMO.

Liked the interiors too and the rear legroom too appears decent to me for a car of this segment. Lack of insulation though is disappointing and very un-VW type of thing but the again they would do anything to keep costs in check. I'm sure once you get the insulation done the N part will go down significantly.

I really liked the pics in which Polo and Cedia are facing each other.
Old 26th April 2010, 13:17   #50
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. The photos are excellent. I think you will be feeling the quality german engineering.
Old 27th April 2010, 15:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Congrats on the purchase Gaurav! ... I am planning a test drive. I am currently in Greater Noida - any idea where the VW showrooms are, say in Gurgaon?

Do update on how the Polo is faring in the Delhi heat (pickup with A/C, etc.) as I feel the 3 pot engine might be a little underpowered.
Thanks Prateek. You may find a VW showroon in Noida itself. Check on the dealer locator at VW India website.

The car is performing fairly well in Delhi summers. Since, it has a high revving engine, you dont feel the loss of power with AC on. The 1.2L 3 pot of Polo doest feel underpowered compared to the competition (swift, i20, figo). In fact, it drives much better than the Figo Petrol. I drove the two cars back to back and didnt like Figo's petrol engine at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Thanks and congrats once again.
Another help, can you let me know how much your swift has run, and about the rattle/plastic qulity issues. Seriously i once test drove a swift desire and it was having only 22k in ODO, but i thought it was more than 2lakh odo. The plastics looks good, but seemed like as if assembled in roadside. The doorpads, dash were all shaking and jumping when the doors were closed. My 65k run accent still feels sturdy and newer than that.

My daily running has increased to 60kms a day and i have to seriously reconsider.
Thanks Krish. Our Swift has done over 80k kms, clutch had to be changed at 54k kms (damn we changed our 800s clutch at 95k, cedia's clutch is as smooth as new at 47k, so it was definately a quality constraint as far as clutch of swift is concerned). The wheel alignment goes wrong 5 to 7 k kms. I havent got cedia's wheels aligned since I bought it (25k kms, got it checked 4k kms back when I changed the tyres and it was fine.) Our 800s wheels get aligned every alternate service 10k kms when we get it serviced.

Apart from this, the car drives very good, no 80k harshness at all. Its revvs well, still maintains its FE of 13 and we still love to drive it. The clutch of the 22k driven Swift Dezire you drove must be kapult, there were some complaints with swifts clutch with people complaining about them at as early as 5k on the clock. I believe it has been sorted.

Lastly, Please dont talk about rattles in Maruti cars, all of them have it and you cant fix them for once, better have a good music system installed.

My cedia 2 and a half year old cedia rattles only 1% of the swift. I just have a seat belt quirk noise and a small tak tak in the glove box and that too if you go hard over bumps, else the car is much more rattle free. And I do feel the same feel in Plo. This car surely wont rattle for long time. Somehow, its heavy and I can feel the tight fittings and fixtures. Swift is light and interior fittings and fixtures are .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
congrats ....

Thanks sumeet, I believe the engine is pre run in as we were not advised to drive within limits. Most of the cars these days come run in if I am not wrong. More so, I personally believe its better to run in your car's engine at all the rpms rather than with in 3k. Driving within 3k all the time makes a sweet spot for the pistons over which the drive starts to become harsh.

I have been trying to locate it but I dont think the instrument panel shows FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
VW Dealer SP says that there is no running in period for Polo, since each engine goes through a through run-in and tuning at the factory once fitted on the car.
They said the car is all yours and I can drive it the way I want . No, actually they didnt say anything and neither did I ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonwheels View Post
Amazing pics Gaurav.she looks really hot in red, the nest colour for Polo IMO.

Liked the interiors too and the rear legroom too appears decent to me for a car of this segment. Lack of insulation though is disappointing and very un-VW type of thing but the again they would do anything to keep costs in check. I'm sure once you get the insulation done the N part will go down significantly.

I really liked the pics in which Polo and Cedia are facing each other.
Thanks LOW, the legroom certainly is decent for a hatch.

Regarding the insulation, even I think getting the insulation will take care of the N part. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Congrats. The photos are excellent. I think you will be feeling the quality german engineering.
Thanks RGK, I certainly am feeling the quality german engineering. In fact I am loving it. Its a Perfect hatch IMHO.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:35   #52
BHPian

Really nice review. I hope it serves you well and we keep getting your valuable feedback.

It would be interesting to know whether you have driven Jazz and your take on comparison of both these cars.

Last edited by rutvij : 27th April 2010 at 16:37.
Old 27th April 2010, 17:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

FE display is only on the Highline variant.
Old 27th April 2010, 17:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Gaurav: I believe the engine is pre run in as we were not advised to drive within limits
You mean all engines are run on for sometime before being installed on the car?
Old 27th April 2010, 20:33   #55
BHPian

Gaurav,

Congrats on the car, where did you get the sill plates(gaurd)? How much it costs?
Old 27th April 2010, 20:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Gaurav.
Seems you have a new love in your life.

By the way is that Gujranwala Town?
Old 27th April 2010, 20:48   #57
BHPian

BTW there is a VW showroom in gurgaon. It is at MG road. A "sudden" need for another car has arisen (i just bought my SX4 last month) and ill be vistin the showroom tomorrow.

Last edited by Zero Cool : 27th April 2010 at 20:49.
Old 27th April 2010, 23:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Really nice review. I hope it serves you well and we keep getting your valuable feedback.

It would be interesting to know whether you have driven Jazz and your take on comparison of both these cars.
I did take a small test drive of Jazz last year and liked the car. First of all, Honda's sales person was the second best to that of Skoda (we were attended by the sales manager at skoda). The guy knew his job and was very kind and hospitable (Honda has the best sales team among the competition).

Starting with the car, in the first instance it seemed to me as a mini Innova. Its big, infact its huge inside. The cabin space is more than some of the sedans and the car is very very comfortable.

Being on the drivers seat, I loved the steering wheel (same as city and civic). However, I didnt like the chunky knobs on the center console. The space utilisation was again excellent. At the back seat, it felt as if I was sitting in an accord, I mean it was not that luxurious but it certainly had a massive legroom and the soft suspention did an excellent job in providing a comfortable ride.

What disappointed me big time was the price (7.5 lac on road in Delhi), and still features ACC and alloys were missing. Features like Airbag and ABS as standard was a good move especially at this price. When I asked the sales man whats so special about the car that it costs 7.5 lac, he said "its a Honda". Hmmm..not bad. A Honda fan would be flat to hear that but I would love to hear such statement from Mitsubishi sales man rather than Honda. Jokes apart, I wont pay anything over 6.5lac for the Jazz with current features. When we start talking about 7.5, a pre-owned civic would be my best bet.

When I started the car, it was typical Honda, I must say no one knows how to make petrol engines as good as Honda. The 1.2L with 90bhp on such a big car surprised me. Its wasnt very fast but it wasnt sluggish too. It performed well in city especially in bumper to bumper traffic. If you try to revv it, the I-vtec is again rev happy and is a perfect blend between power and economy. The gearshift however was okish, I personally didnt like it.

The car has a soft suspention as usual across almost all hondas. Therefore, the bigger wheel base along with soft suspention does result in considerable amount of body roll. So, I didnt feel confident pushing it hard in and out of the corner. The steering is light and I am sure it wont be very inspiring at high speeds.

Lastly, service schedule of 3 months or 5k kms is pathetic. Today, when more and more brands are insisting of higher service intervals, a brand as reliable as Honda should also try to increase the service interval to boost cutomer confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
You mean all engines are run on for sometime before being installed on the car?
Thats what atleast I have heard. I may be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
Gaurav,

Congrats on the car, where did you get the sill plates(gaurd)? How much it costs?
Thanks mate! I got the sill plates from VW. It is infact the only accessory I bought from the dealership. I got them for Rs. 990/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congrats Gaurav.
Seems you have a new love in your life.

By the way is that Gujranwala Town?
Thanks Abhinav. It seems more like an infatuation. Cedia still remains the love of my life atleast till I get hold of the EVO (truth is always bitter than fiction).

Anyways, the place in the snaps is Mianwali Nagar in paschim Vihar (West Delhi). Wonder where Gujranwala Town is.. never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
BTW there is a VW showroom in gurgaon. It is at MG road. A "sudden" need for another car has arisen (i just bought my SX4 last month) and ill be vistin the showroom tomorrow.
Congratulations for the SX4, a real VFM sedan. Do let us know your experience with the Polo.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th April 2010 at 23:33.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

You must be joking Gaurav!!!

Rs.1650/- for one wheel cover?

Thats sheer stupidity of VW to price so high!!

What will be the ownership cost now?
Old 28th April 2010, 14:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Nope. No insulation on any of the Petrol variants. Only on Diesel.
Read this post of GTO. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1755116 Petrol model also comes with insulation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks