Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:05   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
gaurav

From your parents perspective how is the rear seat comfort in terms of seat comfort, travel over the bumps etc at in traffic speeds, ease of ingress and egress and the cooling from the air con for the rear seat especially during afternoons these days.

I am thinking of replacing our Swift zxi with either the Polo or the Figo for use by my parents who need a small hatch to be driven around to places of their interest near our house in a say 10 kms radius hence the focus on everything to do with the rear seat.
the rear seat comfort in Polo is better than the swift, but you cannot call it an upgrade. Swift feels bigger on front seats. Polo feels better then Polo at rear. The rear suspension of polo is also a bit better set up than swift. The AC cools up quickly, despite the fact that I am still to install 3M on Polo. It is also easy to get in and out of the car.

However, an upgrade from swift would only and only be the Jazz. But the car is not at all VFM.

Why do you wish to sell the swift and buy Polo or the Figo. You have the ZXI model with all the features including airbags and ABS and paying 6.4 for Polo highline or even 5 lac for Figo doesnt make sense. I would only recommend change if the swift is not in good condition, which I doubt. For your parents, you may also consider the indigo marina. nothing beats indica or the marina in terms of space and back seat comfort in this segment. Fiats MJD on the car would be the best bet.

But I would highly recommend that you keep the swift for the time being. Selling a top model hatch with good resale and buying the same segment top model hatch with so-so resale means you lose a lot of money in long term.

regards
Gaurav

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 22nd May 2010 at 21:25.
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for the above. The Zxi is registered in MH and I am moving back to Delhi before the end of the year and since the rear seat is not the most comfortable place to be I thought of selling it in MH itself and buy a hatch for my parents in the Capital.

Their Zen is now 200000+ kms young. However of that nearly 1,50,000 kms are to my account. Their Aveo has done 28K since 2006 so MJD etc are out of the equation.

Since they already have the Aveo, so Marina is again not the car to take them to the local club, market, temples etc. A hatch with the best rear seat is what they want since they have been spoiled by the Aveos rear seat which is almost like a sofa.

I could keep the Zxi till the end of the year or untill the Micra, Etios and the Citroen hatchbacks comes out . However knowing myself it is the Blue Streak which will see active highway duty and the Zxi will mostly lie wrapped up in its cover.
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Since they already have the Aveo, so Marina is again not the car to take them to the local club, market, temples etc. A hatch with the best rear seat is what they want since they have been spoiled by the Aveos rear seat which is almost like a sofa.
You could consider the i20 for your parents. It has lots of space at the rear. It's a good family hatch although their are some AC issues with the car.

@Gaurav

The 'Polo' side step garnish is at all 4 door steps or only at the front? And is it Rs.950 for one?
Attached Thumbnails
My horribly unreliable VW Polo! EDIT: Sold!-polo.jpg  

Last edited by theragingbull : 22nd May 2010 at 21:48.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
You could consider the i20 for your parents. It has lots of space at the rear. It's a good family hatch although their are some AC issues with the car.
Yes the i20 is good but is out of reckoning due to the same air con issue.
Old 23rd May 2010, 03:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

@Gaurav

The 'Polo' side step garnish is at all 4 door steps or only at the front? And is it Rs.950 for one?
the sill plates are for all the four doors and costed Rs. 950/- for the set of 4.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:13   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
the sill plates are for all the four doors and costed Rs. 950/- for the set of 4.
Sill Plates look really cool, I too am planning to get them once I get the car, maybe 3-4 months down the line
Old 25th May 2010, 17:37   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Sill Plates look really cool, I too am planning to get them once I get the car, maybe 3-4 months down the line
Yes, even I have planned to get the sill plates. Mine is a Pepper grey HL. 1 month since booking. Hopefully, 2 more to go
Old 7th July 2010, 23:12   #83
Senior - BHPian

A strange thing I noticed today.

Just came back from after a short spin and while I parked my polo, I left the left indicator on by mistake and switched off the ignition. Now in most cars when one switches off the ignition, the indicator switches off automatically. In the polo too the indicator switched off but what I realised after getting out of the car was that the left parking light inside the Headlamp and the parking lamp of the taillight was on (only for left side).

I was surprised, I didnt notice that I left the left indicator on, hence I checked the head lamps switch, it was off, then I switched on the ignition and realised that the left indicator was on and thats when I found that if you leave the indicator of either side on, the parking lamps of the very side will remain on.

I hope thats not the case only with my Polo.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 7th July 2010 at 23:13.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:41   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

I experienced the very same thing with my Polo Trendline Diesel. I am not sure of the rationale behind the design, but it seems to be delibrate.
Old 8th July 2010, 00:47   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was surprised, I didnt notice that I left the left indicator on, hence I checked the head lamps switch, it was off, then I switched on the ignition and realised that the left indicator was on and thats when I found that if you leave the indicator of either side on, the parking lamps of the very side will remain on.

Parking light should not have been activated due to indicator. I think this is a technical glich, it should not have happened at the first place. I dont understand how turn signal & parking are interrelated, both functionality are independent of each other. Bring this to VW's notice.
Old 8th July 2010, 00:58   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Just came back from after a short spin and while I parked my polo, I left the left indicator on by mistake and switched off the ignition. Now in most cars when one switches off the ignition, the indicator switches off automatically. In the polo too the indicator switched off but what I realised after getting out of the car was that the left parking light inside the Headlamp and the parking lamp of the taillight was on (only for left side).

Not a technical glitch at all. There were quite a few posts about this in some thread. I think it happens in most european cars but i dont understand the use of this.
Old 8th July 2010, 02:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wonderful!! all the more reason to sell the Zxi Swift and get a POLO.

This is a feature unique to German automobiles. You use this when parking in a street where you have passing traffic so you can leave the traffic side's parking lights on to make others aware of your car, very useful in a tight and dark road.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:12   #88
BHPian

As everyone said, thats a feature on German cars.
Used for parking in tight streets.

This was discussed in "Hidden Features you have discovered" thread.
Old 8th July 2010, 14:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

@84.monsoon- Thanks.. now I know its not only me.

@SumitBahl,Akshay and Khoj, Thanks guys..I didnt know about this feature being standard on German cars, this is our first german car you know.

OT: You too eager to change Swift Khoj. In between, I still wait more pics of the streak blue.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:15   #90
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, my Polo has just clocked about 5k+ kms, so I went to VW West Delhi, Moti Nagar for a routine checkup. Coincidentally, they had monsoon camp going on and hence checked the complete car for free and reported no issues. I must say that the service person was very generous and helped me in every what way. They checked the ECU settings, checked all fluids, topped up the windscreen fluid and test drove the car to see if there are any minor issues that needs to resolved. But there were no issues as such.

I must say that I am very impressed by the services they provided.

While all this took about an hour and a half. I checked out other vehicles in the center. Although, they only allow the customer to visit the center once to see the car and rest of the time wait in the customer lounge, I talked nicely to the service adviser and since there were not many customers, he allowed me to be in the center. Although, they gave strict instructions not to take any photos, I initially though what could be the reason, butt there was a reason..read on.

While checking out other polos, I saw a white polo which came in for accidental repair and the left two doors needed to be painted. I also saw a silver Polo (UP80) which had accidentally damaged its oil sump, the adviser said that customer reports that he didnt start the vehicle after the hit but they will figure it out once they open the engine. The front bumper, lower beading was also damaged, it may have it the bumper undercover first and then the sump.

Also saw a couple of jettas and passats for accidental repairs and normal service.

While checking the cars, I came across a sedan which was covered and I initially thought it was polo from the front. But a minute later, I realised that it is Vento, Yes, it was the Vento AT. As I tried to take a sneek from under the cover, a service person asked me not to take any pictures, thats when I realized...ahhh. About half an hour later another service official came to move the vento to a different location and yes now I had the opportunity to see the Vento. From the front, it looked same as polo, but as you move toward the rear, you see thee boot nicely added to a polo, it indeed looks like a proper sedan and not like the not soo proportionate dezire and the manza. Once the car was moved a few meters away, there was no service official around and the car was unlocked. I sat inside and the dash was same as polo..with a kiddish arm rest added in the center, it moreover looks long and thin, kinda ugly and out of place, it moved up and down though. It could be opened to keep small stuff.

This one had an AT transmission. I started the car and reversed it, then moved it forward, the engine looked good (atleast sounded) and the AT gear shifter was nice too. Then I shifed the seat way back to its maximum position and moved the rear seat, yes, the rear leg room was more than the polo, the under thing support was too more than the polo and I believe all the complaints have been taken care of. Its almost same as that in a City, Although its not good to be driver driven (IMO, even City's rear leg room isnt the one where you have the luxury to sit as you want, it all starts from Civic, altis and cedia). But I am sure, once cannot complaint about it. The best thing was the rear AC vents, yes they were at the back of the center arm rest and looked good. However, I didnt like the rear arm rest , wide and thin again, pathetic if I compare it to civic or cedia (I dont remember those of city and sx4).

All in all, I liked it, and the car certainly is at par with the C segment sedans. Moreso, the Diesel will be a kick..s

By this time, a service personal came and said, sir please come out of the car, if our seniors see you in the car, we ll be in trouble. By this time I was anyways done, the only thing I missed was a look inside the hood and the boot.

After one and a half hour my car was ready to move out, I asked the service person to clean engine bay. They adviser said, Sir, we can do as much as possible with the air pressure but we cannot wash it. On asking why, he opened the engine bay and showed me the ECU, yes the ECu, it under the hood, right below where the chassis number is mentioned on the wind screen, I was surprised. He said, we normally clean the engine bay with a damp cloth and asked me never to get it washed from outside. So, all Polo owners, please be aware that the ECU is inside the bonnet and never get the engine bay atleast cleaned out side as it may lead to ECU going kaput.

Lastly, I inquired about the extended warranty and the AMC and was told that the extended waarranty is still unknown and AMC will cost 19,500 for 3 services and about 34k for 4 services. 4 services bit will include a pair of brake pads and brake shoes. In between, I was also told that each service individually will cost about 8 to 9 k including wheel alignment and balancing. All the filters need to changed at every service after 15k. All filters is a bit too early at 15k. I have now realized how cheap Mitsubishi's service is (every 10k service costs about 2.5k and every 40k service costs about 8k, damn too cheap mate, even if you figure out synthetic oil, the cost will work out cheaper.)

It was indeed a great experience with the dealership service, the customer lounge was also neat and clean, with an LCD with Tata sky and a good sofa set to relax (so if then dont allow you inside the service center, you can relax in the lounge and see your car getting serviced through a big glass.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th July 2010 at 20:30.

Most Viewed