Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 20:47   #361
BHPian

Did a test drive today.

My Observations of the car

1. The car has a lot of vibrations. I guess the 3 pot motors doing its job. Even when idle and AC is running the vibrations can be well felt in the cabin.
2. Good noise damping done. Even when the vibrations are felt, noise was minimal.
3. No USB in the fitted Music System. But you can add it via a special cable, which will hang from the system all the time. I must say a really dumbo was placed in the planning department for this.
4. This car is a city car. With 4 people on board, AC running, the car has almost no power left to push ahead smoothly.
5. Today it was raining like anything when I was taking the test drive. The rear wipers and defogger did a very good job. But again maruti placed a dumbo here also to do the design. Electrically adjustable ORVM is a great boon during rains. But they were not heated. So the result the ORVM became quite unusable due to fog and water droplets in about 5 minutes. Usefullness = ZERO.

Overall I expected more from this car. But I guess it was meant to be a city car specially. I would recommened this car for to n fro city driving only. Highways a strict no and hills a heavy no.

Interior was good Fit n Finish was consistent. Overall positive. The OEM speakers are total crap. You have to change them to get to hear good music(and not loud music).

NJoy
Victor
Old 28th October 2010, 23:56   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuj View Post
The noise levels are distracting yes, but I don't think there's a better equipped CNG vehicle present in the market right now at this price level.
Correct, we recently purchased CNG wagon R and the car is quite practical. We have even taken the car out on highways where it is good enough in CNG mode also. Can cruise at 100-110 with ease even on CNG mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorSinha View Post

1. The car has a lot of vibrations. I guess the 3 pot motors doing its job. Even when idle and AC is running the vibrations can be well felt in the cabin.
4. This car is a city car. With 4 people on board, AC running, the car has almost no power left to push ahead smoothly.

I would recommened this car for to n fro city driving only. Highways a strict no and hills a heavy no.
1) While start up, yes. But later on during the drive and idling vibrations are not felt in our Wagon R CNG. AC is quite good.

4) We have done highway trips in Wagon R CNG in CNG mode and the car is good enough. As mentioned above, can cruise at 100-110 in CNG mode also. 3 People + AC and still one has got overtaking grunt.

The problem here is the weak bottom end of K10B. One has to really keep the engine above 2000 rpm for good build up of speed. Experienced this on highway when approximately 50 in 4th gear and attempting an overtaking is not good. In Baleno, the car would pull due to that torque, but not this car. As the car is new ( and to avoid lugging ), I quickly shifted to 3rd and things improved a lot. That little motor has to be revved to get the job done.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 28th October 2010 at 23:57.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:04   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Correct, we recently purchased CNG wagon R and the car is quite practical. We have even taken the car out on highways where it is good enough in CNG mode also. Can cruise at 100-110 with ease even on CNG mode.

1) While start up, yes. But later on during the drive and idling vibrations are not felt in our Wagon R CNG. AC is quite good.

4) We have done highway trips in Wagon R CNG in CNG mode and the car is good enough. As mentioned above, can cruise at 100-110 in CNG mode also. 3 People + AC and still one has got overtaking grunt.

The problem here is the weak bottom end of K10B. One has to really keep the engine above 2000 rpm for good build up of speed. Experienced this on highway when approximately 50 in 4th gear and attempting an overtaking is not good. In Baleno, the car would pull due to that torque, but not this car. As the car is new ( and to avoid lugging ), I quickly shifted to 3rd and things improved a lot. That little motor has to be revved to get the job done.
what is the fuel efficiency you are getting on CNG?
Old 29th October 2010, 15:37   #364

Ahh, Thanks aaggoswami,
Havent found any review elsewhere. The Problem here in Mumbai is that There is NO dealer here who has a Test Drive model of the CNG version. Its quite unpractical to buy a car without driving it! Now after reading about the higher vibrations, i sure am not buying it without a a Test Drive!!
Can you though put some light on the Mileage you get in CNG? KMPKg.?
Old 29th October 2010, 15:51   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil_b View Post
The Problem here in Mumbai is that There is NO dealer here who has a Test Drive model of the CNG version.
No dealer in Noida/Ghaziabad does either. Apparently they only keep the top end variant for TD purposes. I did TD the VXi variant again though, and found it extremely underpowered, and with a CNG kit it'd literally crawl to its knees... the noise too just got to me, and I can't for the life of me even think about putting my money into something that's not up to the mark.

Last edited by kanuj : 29th October 2010 at 15:52.
Old 30th October 2010, 20:35   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
what is the fuel efficiency you are getting on CNG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil_b View Post
Ahh, Thanks aaggoswami,
Havent found any review elsewhere.
Can you though put some light on the Mileage you get in CNG? KMPKg.?
More than 30 on highways if driven sensibly. The cost of fuel in CNG mode per km. is almost equal to my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuj View Post
No dealer in Noida/Ghaziabad does either. Apparently they only keep the top end variant for TD purposes. I did TD the VXi variant again though, and found it extremely underpowered, and with a CNG kit it'd literally crawl to its knees... the noise too just got to me, and I can't for the life of me even think about putting my money into something that's not up to the mark.
The fact is that Maruti decided to launch the CNG cars in middle trims or lower trims only. We had installed accessories of around Rs. 19K for the music system, etc. Music system would be 7/10, but I am not good in analyzing music systems.

The engine would perform quite well only after certain rpm and after 2K rpm, the engine is quite free revving.
Old 1st November 2010, 10:59   #367
Senior - BHPian

I am in a dilemma of which new car, and my finalized cars are:

1. Spark
2. Wagon R

Pros for Spark:
1. VFM, with offers from GM.
2. Good mileage
3. Beige interiors, gives specious and airy feel

Cons:
1. Seemed bit short for me. I am 5' 8" - 9", and still when I sit upright in rear seat, my head touches the top!
2. No head rest / 60:40 split seats in mid version. These features are in WagonR, and I really like them.
3. Resale. I am not sure whether it will hold good in resale after 3-4 years

I heard some fierce opposition to WagonR, saying that it is too tall, and it will topple on turns at high speed! Although the probability of it is very less, I would like to hear from experts here, how serious is the body roll in wagonR.

Lastly (this should be at first!) the preferences:

1. To be driven by lady, and mostly with small family. So need some decent amount of space.
2. Mileage is important.
3. Comfort
4. ***
5. Resale.

Please advise. Also, should I be looking at A star too?
Old 1st November 2010, 12:31   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

I heard some fierce opposition to WagonR, saying that it is too tall, and it will topple on turns at high speed! Although the probability of it is very less, I would like to hear from experts here, how serious is the body roll in wagonR.

Lastly (this should be at first!) the preferences:

1. To be driven by lady, and mostly with small family. So need some decent amount of space.
2. Mileage is important.
3. Comfort
4. ***
5. Resale.

Please advise. Also, should I be looking at A star too?
1) The Wagon R is taller than earlier generation, but overall the handling has improved, its more safer and predictable than earlier generation. Its not very bad. Of course, A-star and low slung cars can tackle corners better, but for the given height, Wagon R is good. If I were to compare Wagon R with Santro, Estilo, i10 and Wagon R, i10 and Wagon R have better handling than either Santro or Estilo. Its not excessive, but yes, one is always aware of the height. One has to respect the height of Wagon R.

2) Driven by Lady. The visibility is quite good all round in Wagon R. No issues here. My aunt in A'bad is using wagon R since long ( i.e. earlier generation Wagon R ) and I find our new K10 Wagon R better in terms of space, handling and ride.

3) A.S & S. Maruti is the best here with reasonably priced spares, and the car that are successful hold their value too.

4) Other cars : A-star, not very good visibility but if mostly to be driven in city and not for weekend trips, A-star is good enough. Worth a test drive. A-star has got quite good handling and ride for the given dimensions in that segment.
Old 13th November 2010, 13:46   #369
BHPian

Just having a doubt. In the new wagon-r, there is a lot of room left in the engine bay. Does this give a hint of the late entry of K12 engine? Any idea guys?
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2010, 23:32   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Just having a doubt. In the new wagon-r, there is a lot of room left in the engine bay. Does this give a hint of the late entry of K12 engine? Any idea guys?
I dont think so that this K12M is going into Waggie so soon. Waggie is doing very well in the market right now and Maruti has also invested for CNG mods.

Also there is already a lot of overlap in the current small car offerings from Maruti. Ritz will be affected very badly if Waggie is made available with K12M. I dont think this is going to happen this soon.
Old 14th November 2010, 13:47   #371
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I dont think so that this K12M is going into Waggie so soon. Waggie is doing very well in the market right now and Maruti has also invested for CNG mods.

Also there is already a lot of overlap in the current small car offerings from Maruti. Ritz will be affected very badly if Waggie is made available with K12M. I dont think this is going to happen this soon.
Instead of K12, I hope they put the G12 (from Eeco) in WR, and price the base variant at 3.5L ex-showroom, making it one of the chepest car with 1.2L engine. Though the WR K10 base variant is also priced at 3.5L, Maruti may not have much difficulty in pricing the G12 at the same price level because of matters like low royalty for G-series engine.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:58   #372

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)

i purchased a new Wagon R April 2011. Quite agree with many points of the review.
I am a senior citizen, easy of getting in & out were important considerations, mainly due to the tall boy design, front leg room is also very good.
3 pot motor performs as expected.
City Fuel average is about 13kms.
The reviwer probably got a good unit & reported good gear shifting, my own cars Gear shift is not good, NVH issues have not yet surfaced.
It is easy to drive, visibility is good & turning radius is quite small.
The stereo fitted by the dealer simply refuses to work, even after 3 attemps by the dealer, now, they have promised to replace the stereo.
Overall, a good city commuter, especially for the aged & ladies.
Old 16th August 2011, 13:40   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Question?

I have a question,we are planning for a WagonR Vxi with Airbags and ABS.The only sore point is that i dont want the company fitted audio system(HU and speakers) as i intend to put my own choice there.I know it is possible to remove and put other one.What i want to know is that is it possible to put it in writing when i book my car so that the company does not put it during assembly?Suppose i'm not given an option to pre-order the system removal,will i get a discount if i ask the dealer to remove it prior to delivery?
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:07   #374
BHPian

Bone Collector, that VXi will always have the OE Audio system installed. Your dealer can however have it back from you to sell it with lesser Waggie variants.
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:49   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a. kumar View Post
City Fuel average is about 13kms.
The reviwer probably got a good unit & reported good gear shifting, my own cars Gear shift is not good, NVH issues have not yet surfaced.
First full tank-to-full tank FE method return me just 12, AC ON, city driving. The gear shift looks good and slots well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorSinha View Post
3. No USB in the fitted Music System. But you can add it via a special cable, which will hang from the system all the time. I must say a really dumbo was placed in the planning department for this.
The OEM speakers are total crap. You have to change them to get to hear good music(and not loud music).
The dealer said they dont have the USB port at the moment. Am I supposed to buy it later? And yes, the speakers are sub-par

I did try aux-in via a Nokia express music phone, the audio comes through, but quite feeble and not usable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks