Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 00:05   #391
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrupadh View Post
I recently purchased WagonR VXI and spent some time understanding all its features. USB Button is provided but to use it you need to purchase a separate USB adapter which seems silly not to include given the proliferation of USB devices as portable storage for media.

The Music system supports 18 FM channels. When you press the FM button, you get the first 6 channels on the buttons numbers 1 to 6. To get the next six channels, press the FM button again and it says FM 2 which means its the second set of 6 FM channels. 7th channel will be available on the button numbered 1 and so on.

I am surprised that you got a separate manual for the music system because I didnt. I had to do a lot of RnD myself to understand even how to set up the time .

Also, here is a question to all WagonR owners and test drivers, do you feel that the gap between the second and third gear is a little too wide? Since my waggie is still in its running-in period, I avoid going above 2500 or 3000 RPM. And sometimes when I shift from 2nd to 3rd between 2k and 2.5k, i feel lack in response to the accelerator until it crossed 2K. I feel that there is a general lack of power below 2K in most of the gears.
+1. I too had to fiddle with the music system to find out how it works and what all can be done in it. I still have not purchased an USB cable.

And regarding the gap, the motor never pulls well under 2k RPM. So its obvious that when you upshift from 2nd to 3rd between 2k to 2.5k RPM, the revs would fall under 2k RPM in 3rd. I've definitely felt the same thing but on level roads, it doesn't bother me much if I'm driving sedately. Or else I'l have to upshift at 3k RPM. The car struggles to pull on any gear under 2k RPM. I've tried putting my foot down on the gas pedal a couple of times and the motor never reacts under 2k RPM, but there's a sudden surge from 2k RPM onward, something like a turbo lag!
Old 28th February 2012, 20:08   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrupadh View Post
I recently purchased WagonR VXI and spent some time understanding all its features. USB Button is provided but to use it you need to purchase a separate USB adapter which seems silly not to include given the proliferation of USB devices as portable storage for media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I too had to fiddle with the music system to find out how it works and what all can be done in it. I still have not purchased an USB cable.
Whenever you guys buy a USB device to connect to WagonR's system,please share here.I intend to change the system if i dont come across a USB connector device.
Old 16th March 2012, 10:39   #393
Senior - BHPian

Hello Experts,

I am in a confusion over buying a pre-owned WagonR & would invite your opinion on the same.

I had 2007 WagonR Vxi which met with a accident & we had to go for total loss. We are supposed to get Rs. 2.4 lacs from insurance company for the same.

Now we are looking for another per-owned (used) car we have the following options:

1. 2008 Maruti Wagon R Vxi (December 2008 registered)
ODO: 38000 kms
Doctor owned
Condition sctachless (Used car dealer has done good job of denting & painting)
Price Rs. 2.51 lacs
Insurance valid till December 2012

Is this car the frount Windshield glass has been replaced & also the right side headside is replaced.

2. 2010 Maruti WagonR 1.0 (K10) ( October 2010 registered)
ODO: 18000 kms
Condition good (there are minor scratches, which dealer has agreed to do the painting job)
Insurance valid till October 2012
Price Rs. 3.10 lacs

We are in a confusion & please help us in the decision.

Can I assume that as in the 2008 car the Front Windshield & right side head light are replaced, it could be a accident car which the dealer has repaired?

Thanks,
Old 16th March 2012, 11:09   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post

We are in a confusion & please help us in the decision.

Can I assume that as in the 2008 car the Front Windshield & right side head light are replaced, it could be a accident car which the dealer has repaired?

Thanks,
Generally, the windshields are not replaced so quickly in a car's life. Sure something might have gone wrong. But at the same time it can be other things also that something might have fallen on the windscreen or something like that.
Were the right headlamp AND windscreen replaced at the same time ?

I would recommend you the new Wagon R 1.0 as its a bit better in case of handling as compared to earlier Wagon R. Also there is more rear seat space, though the boot is less. The K10 is overall a good motor, but you will miss the instant response of earlier Wagon R.

The new Wagon R has better ride, reasonably more stable and overall a better engine. Would recommend you that.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 11:26   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Generally, the windshields are not replaced so quickly in a car's life. Sure something might have gone wrong. But at the same time it can be other things also that something might have fallen on the windscreen or something like that.
Were the right headlamp AND windscreen replaced at the same time ?
Hello Aaggoswami,

Thank you for your quick response.

When was the headlight & Windshield replaced? well I dont know that because the car is at the dealer's place & they will not disclose such information.

But it seems that the Windshield & Headlight are recently replaced, probably by the dealer.

Also the 2008 car (which has done 38000 kms on ODO) is absolutely spotless & scratchless. Now if you consider a Doctor's car (which would mostly be driven in city for 38000 kms) which is scratchless is highly impossible. On asking this to Dealer he accepted that he has done minor Denting & painting job in his workshop as purchasing the car from the previous owner. Now how much "minor" was that denting & painting job? well we can only do guesswork.

Yes, our inclination too is towards the new WagonR itself. Will keep you posted on our decision.

Thanks,
Old 16th March 2012, 14:52   #396
BHPian

i HAVE had front windshield of my indiac repalced when a coconut fell on it , there are many instances of a missile ( stone ) flying off a wheel of a passing vehicle damaging front windshield. do not need to read too much into that replacement. you can always have the body around the windshield and a pillars checked for any accident repair job ( should be visible to naked eye ).
front headlamps also shouldnt be a problem , you can easily ascertain if the car has had a front shunt ( get the service history ) . My wife's wagonr ( 1.0 ) banged into a scorpio who had an emergency stop because of a signal walker.
Both seal beams broken ( front and even the brackets totally intact ). i still have them in garage.
My point is you need to check cars for accident jobs of nature which may impact the suspension geometry which in long run may mean headache.
and there are some denting jobs or replacement which have no correlation with chassis or wouldnt affect alignment of mechanicals in any manner.
you can safely by such a car.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 15:01   #397
BHPian

as far ur dilemma about which version to buy. we have the k series version.
though maruti claims many improvements, the build quality has actually regressed. as far as stiffer setup is concerned the vehicle is just not taut enough to handle the imprved suspension. the earlier cushy suspension was better in my opinion.
as far as space and FE is concerned , the new wagon r betters most other hatchbacks.
another concern is the seat quality is very poor for front seats in the new car. instead of under thigh support the seat ends actually slope down. absolutely third class. just negates all the the advantage of the superb ingress and high seating position. i get backache after a 15 /20 km drive. bad seats and bouncy supension not very good combination
Old 16th March 2012, 19:07   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
though maruti claims many improvements, the build quality has actually regressed.
I too think the build quality has quite deteriorated in recent Marutis, not just the WagonR.

I have a 1.1 L 2004 model WagonR. You would be surprised to know that even today there is no rattle from the body (only suspension noise when going over speedbreakers, but this car has done 65k kms).
Old 16th March 2012, 19:22   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I too think the build quality has quite deteriorated in recent Marutis, not just the WagonR.

I have a 1.1 L 2004 model WagonR. You would be surprised to know that even today there is no rattle from the body (only suspension noise when going over speedbreakers, but this car has done 65k kms).
No doubt about that at all. I have a 2006 Model and done 163,000 on the Odometer as on today and no rattles at all. In fact, the periodic noise I get to hear is from the front wheels due to the typical problem associated with caliper pins. I grease them and and wrap some teflon tape and it settles well after that.

This model had too much of plastics everywhere but if you open that and try to match the quality of it with today's Maruti (specially the door pads), you can gauge the difference.

I am not letting mine go away since I dont have any complaints even today nor I have any other reason. This one shall always remain one of those reliable and practical hatches that MSIL ever produced.

The K10 is refined but the F10D with its 4 cylinder engine does produce that much needed torque required at lower RPMs. We have a K10 in the family as well but I realized a remarkable difference in taking off over speedbreakers with the AC on in 2nd gear. It is almost impossible with the F10D does it with ease.

However,the K10 definitely scores in the rear legroom department as well as a sturdy ride.
Old 17th March 2012, 19:05   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
No doubt about that at all. I have a 2006 Model and done 163,000 on the Odometer as on today and no rattles at all. In fact, the periodic noise I get to hear is from the front wheels due to the typical problem associated with caliper pins. I grease them and and wrap some teflon tape and it settles well after that.
However,the K10 definitely scores in the rear legroom department as well as a sturdy ride.
Hello Parag,

Can you please provide a suggestion to my post # 393 above. I am in a delimma over selecting 2008 WagonR Vxi & 2010 Wagon R K10.

You would probably be the best person to advice me on wagonR.

Thanks,
Old 17th March 2012, 21:56   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

our wagon r has done just 13000km , wife drives sedately. the vehicle is taken care of. but already i get this 'looooose' feeling when i drive it. my blood boils at the fact that maruti is dishing out inferior stuff for a premium.
left front strut collapsed in just about 5k , replaced under warranty.
Just open the hood of ur car and a new wagon r. check the area above the apron , its just a thin side skirt joined to the apron by a 4 or 5 " bracket. this doesnt even have a fold like in cars like micra for additional strength.
i can deform the skirt by sheer strength by hand if i so wish to as i can hold it between my thumb and fingers. big space in between for god knows what.
how do u suppose its gonna hold in case of a front shunt as that member will collapse first on account of not having enough rigidity?
Giving better Fe by means of weight reduction at the cost of integrity of the vehicle is something u can trust maruti to do.
In my experience with tata , hyundai even renault , i have faced different issues, but poor build quality and this kind of 'chindhigiri' only maruti can manage. if u may excuse my choice of words.
Hyundai , nissan gives decent FE too , but not by taking the easiest way out. all the good things they do with the engine and drivetrain is lost because of this and till indians keep on lapping every damn thing they put together , they 'll continue to do this.
Ritz on the other hand is decently built.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 17th March 2012 at 21:59.
Old 17th March 2012, 22:09   #402
BHPian

@ parag ,
also the 3 pot motor vibrates a little too much on idle , when i complained during the first service at automotive , the service advisor took me to the shop floor and states that vibration is chracteristic with the k series motor.
at the signal, my front passenger seat vibrates considerably on idle.Now i just try to ignore these things.\
The earlier 4 pot motor was not bad at all , the gear shift was lousy. the new wagor r gear shift is slicker. but the grunt is just not there and at times the vehicle on ac with 2/3 passengers simply labours for a while before pulling away.
Behaves like the naturally aspirated indica diesel if u know what i mean.
then once in motion at higher revves it is spirited and would have felt like an extremely agile car if it had more stiffness to the body even in spite of the extra height.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:46   #403
Senior - BHPian

Hello Aaggoswami & Highnoon,

Thank you for your advice & suggestions.

We have opted for the New WagonR K10 & have paid the booking (Token) amount. We are going to take the delivery on Friday, 23rd march 2012.

I will keep the forum updated with pictures & my experiences with driving this new car.

Thanks,
Old 19th March 2012, 13:33   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
In my experience with tata , hyundai even renault , i have faced different issues, but poor build quality and this kind of 'chindhigiri' only maruti can manage. if u may excuse my choice of words.

Ritz on the other hand is decently built.
Yes,you are quite correct in saying this.Whenever i used to drive our Alto after driving our Santro,i used to feel more vulnerable and on flimsy ground.And yes,Ritz is another thing altogether.Its better built than other hatchbacks from Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Aaggoswami & Highnoon,

Thank you for your advice & suggestions.

We have opted for the New WagonR K10 & have paid the booking (Token) amount. We are going to take the delivery on Friday, 23rd march 2012.

I will keep the forum updated with pictures & my experiences with driving this new car.

Thanks,
Great choice.I also have recently(15 days back) got delivery of my WagonR.Its a good car and if you drive it in 1500rpm plus range,there are no issues whatsoever.Happy driving.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 14:39   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Great choice.I also have recently(15 days back) got delivery of my WagonR.Its a good car and if you drive it in 1500rpm plus range,there are no issues whatsoever.Happy driving.
Hello BoneCollector,

Thank you.

Yes the car looks good from outside when compared with old WagonR. Even the interior & specially the Dash Board apprearence is well done via-s-via the old waonR.

The loss is in Boot Size & probably in Engine performance. I just spoke to a person driving wagonR K10 since last 1.5 years (12000 kms) & he was of opinion that the loss of power is clearly experienced while driving at low speeds.

But for me as long as I get good mileage (given the fact that Petrol is getting dearer day by day) I am not much concerned about little drop in Engine performance. Also given the city driving conditions, if feel little drop in performance & pick-up will not matter. I will have to adjust to the WagonR K10 driving style.

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks