Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:59   #46
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the praise guys. Its not me alone, the mod team has helped compile this report
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:05   #47
BANNED

Very good review Eddy, what is the size of tyres ?
Quote:
anyway, it was unbiased and unbalanced, and refreshing.
Sidindica, did you really mean unbalanced review ?
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
i10 1.1 Magna was indeed the top end variant before the launch of kappa engine.

But after kappa engine was introduced in i10, 1.1 Magna was discontinued and 1.2 Magna became the entry level variant for i10 1.2 kappa followed by Sportz and Asta (Top end variant).
Rohan, the Magna is still the top end for 1.1, My father bought one 2 months back

The only difference being that the older Magna sported rear washer wiper which the new ones doesnt as this a few more features were mover to the 1.2 Sportz.

So the Wagon R Vxi would be pitched directly against the i10 1.1 Magna.

The Magna has everything except for rear wash/wiper, stereo & fog lamps.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd April 2010 at 17:57.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:18   #49
BHPian

Nice detailed Review Eddy. Good pictures too, do you have a picture which gives full view of dash board ?
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:28   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Eddy,

Short, sweet and straight to the point. Excellent review...rated 5 stars.

Coming to the car, Maruti wanted to play it safe & have so obviously adopted an evolutionary approach. When your car is selling 10,000 a month, why mess with a winning formula? The new WagonR eliminates key weakness of the older car, especially by making rear bench legroom more acceptable, and improvises in other areas (gearshift quality for instance). You are getting an improved car for about the same price, so that's another plus for the 2010 WagonR.

I only wish they had a proper 4 cylinder under the hood...but the market will stay happy as long as they get FE + acceptable power. That's the key requirement and Maruti knows it better than anyone else. Product to product though, the i10 1.1 has it beat in my books.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2010 at 17:34.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Eddy, nice review. Good to know the gear shift quality has improved. But boot space becoming smaller is not good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When your car is selling 10,000 a month, why mess with a winning formula?
I think they may have messed with the winning formula a little bit by not offering the gas option at launch. I am not sure how many of the current 10K odd units are duo, but nearly every single new Wagon R I have spotted in the last several months has been a duo.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Eddy, nice review. Good to know the gear shift quality has improved. But boot space becoming smaller is not good news.

I think they may have messed with the winning formula a little bit by not offering the gas option at launch. I am not sure how many of the current 10K odd units are duo, but nearly every single new Wagon R I have spotted in the last several months has been a duo.

+1 to that Gilead. As I mentioned in my previous post, the Duos have done well in the market and Maruti had done well by incorporating a compact gas tank in the spare tyre area. Though the tyre made its way to the boot, there was still decent space left. Eddy has commented that there are no plans for the gas version soon, I'm sure that will change.

Sticking to the topic of gas, I see quite a few Spark LPGs on the road nowadays.

Last edited by Dippy : 23rd April 2010 at 17:43.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:43   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Excellent Review. Voted 5 star.

Now considering the pricing of new WagonR, is Chevy Spark still the most VFM car?

Thank,
Nitesh
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:03   #54
BHPian

Excellent review, Eddy. Thank God, they have worked on the gearshift. The older one's gearbox is a pain. The car looks quite airy as well. Why are all the manufacturers letting go of analog fuel and temperature gauges? The new Alto and WagonR both are devoid of the same.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
But after kappa engine was introduced in i10, 1.1 Magna was discontinued and 1.2 Magna became the entry level variant for i10 1.2 kappa followed by Sportz and Asta (Top end variant).
Yes 1.1 Magna was dicontinued when Kappa was introduced.
But it was back due to popular demand and now you get 1.1 in Magna variant also.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
These are the full prices of Delhi
The OTR has not included the road tax. ?
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

I wasn't really interested in TDing this car, but I now have to do so.
I still think that my Santro, which clearly has far better low end torque, will smoke this new wagon-r.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Nice thorough review, Eddy!
The new WR sure looks like a very promising city car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I still think that my Santro, which clearly has far better low end torque, will smoke this new wagon-r.
It might, it might not. But how many people buy city cars for "smoking" (as you put) other cars on the road any way? And there is no comparison or competition of this car with the outdated Santro - its more with the i10 , Beat, Figo and the likes.

Last edited by DCEite : 23rd April 2010 at 18:47.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:57   #59
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Eddy.
But the interior plastic - on the door especially, and the keyfob speaks of cost cutting. Electrically adjustable mirrors are nice. Really like that feature.
The main 'push sell' point of this model would be FE IMO.
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

I just showed my mom these W-R pics and this was her reaction:

"10 years ago, Hyundai's designs were quirky and exaggerated and Maruti's were simple, clean, plain jane. Today, though its exactly the opposite. The Jap model looks a zillion times better than this one."

She even said later," This new W-R looks like a giant rodent , say a cross between an alligator and a lizard. They should call it a blue eyed godzilla, not a blue eyed boy. Girls will run away from this boy."

No offenses meant, just my mom's POV. And I cannot control my laughter even while typing this.

Most Viewed