Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:11   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I think they may have messed with the winning formula a little bit by not offering the gas option at launch. I am not sure how many of the current 10K odd units are duo, but nearly every single new Wagon R I have spotted in the last several months has been a duo.
This is Maruti . You think they'd not offer a hatch / variant that there is a good market for, or that they had an existing customer base for?

If the LPG variant made up a strong portion of WagonR sales (after recent price hikes), I'm willing to bet the Duo is coming soon.
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:26   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Excellent report, Eddy!

Check out,
Maruti Wagonar

Excellent job with the website design
They have got the page title wrong, reads "Wagonar".
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is Maruti . You think they'd not offer a hatch / variant that there is a good market for, or that they had an existing customer base for?

If the LPG variant made up a strong portion of WagonR sales (after recent price hikes), I'm willing to bet the Duo is coming soon.
Most likely they will come out with CNG this time. I heard from someone saying Maruti's future car plans include all CNG lineup.

I have my reservation on Design of this car. From Exterior...except that Blue eyed headlamps..... there nothing much to write home about.

The real improvement is under the Hood and interiors. but i have doubts whether Maruti would be able to hold its fort for long against cars like i10, Beat, Figo and pretty soon coming micra. IMO they should have gone for a Japanese market WagonR and should have given a little more whackier design to keep it trendy enough.
Like this one
File:2008 Suzuki Wagon R Stingray 01.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2002 when it came out it in India WagonR was trendy and whacky enough. Now this resembles more of a boring and has hardly any Novelty value attached to it. I m disappointed with maruti for sure.

Last edited by anu21v : 23rd April 2010 at 19:41.
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:44   #64
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2010 at 20:06.
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:44   #65
BHPian

I'm quite surprized the interiors have been changed to such an extent cause the previous car had a lot of nice pockets & spaces integrated into the dash. They were actually quite handy from personal experience of being driven around in my friend's car. The new dash though looks good, takes away some functionality. The cup holders don't look like they'll last to the first service!

Full marks to MSIL for reacting quickly to the competition. The WagonR has long served as India's bread & butter in this segment; MS has tinkered with the car just enough to make it a "better" buy, but not take away its prime qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I would have preferred an 'under-seat' box that slides to the front. My co-passengers generally do not like getting out of the car to lift the seat base and access the box.
Thought the same thing, very similar to the one offered on the Manza. Though i doubt you can pick up & walk away with the Manza's box, but who would?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Eddy, nice review. Good to know the gear shift quality has improved. But boot space becoming smaller is not good news.
Had to once drive my friend's WagonR for just some 5kms cause she'd bucked her ankle; I was abusing all the way along. The shift was just horrid, way too mobile even when slotted, huge throws. Parking made me feel stupid cause twice i slotted into 4th instead of reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Fortunately or unfortunately, no rubbing your co-passenger
1st to 2nd gear, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I just showed my mom these W-R pics and this was her reaction:

"10 years ago, Hyundai's designs were quirky and exaggerated and Maruti's were simple, clean, plain jane. Today, though its exactly the opposite. The Jap model looks a zillion times better than this one."

She even said later," This new W-R looks like a giant rodent , say a cross between an alligator and a lizard. They should call it a blue eyed godzilla, not a blue eyed boy. Girls will run away from this boy."

No offenses meant, just my mom's POV. And I cannot control my laughter even while typing this.

@ Eddy: It seems the size of the windows have reduced noticeably in the new car. Did you find it weird or does the large rear glass area compensate for that?

Last edited by Musicmaker23 : 23rd April 2010 at 19:49.
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
"10 years ago, Hyundai's designs were quirky and exaggerated and Maruti's were simple, clean, plain jane. Today, though its exactly the opposite. The Jap model looks a zillion times better than this one."

No offenses meant, just my mom's POV. And I cannot control my laughter even while typing this.
Exactly echoes my thoughts. A few months ago, another bhpian said that "maruti takes the cake for making the worst-looking cars over the recent past'. He was referring to the Dzire, Estillo, Ritz, etc.

But the review by Eddy is marvellous. It is good to know that they have brought back the 'airline' seat feature of making a bed out of the front and rear seat. This, along with the boot space was the USP why I favoured the WagonR in 2001.

But alas, they've reduced the boot space. At least they could have provided a rail to facilitate sliding the rear seat front or back to generate more knee room or more boot space, depending on need.

Last edited by vnabhi : 23rd April 2010 at 19:53.
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:18   #67
BHPian

That was fast Eddy. Superb review.

I have the 2004 model, and I simply love it. This model would be perfect for my wife.
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Short & crisp review , covered all aspects of the car ovell great job

I feel that the gear shift, stiff chassis & suspension setup are the real improvement on this car.

Major -ves
  • Truncated boot space just 180 lts, this will be taken seriously by customers.
  • Engine performance is not the best in class, higher (NVH)
  • Removing LPG option (I hope Maruti will realize there mistake soon)
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:28   #69
BHPian

Excellent review Eddy. Crisp and to the point, like others have mentioned. My uncle has a WagonR, and it is a practical car, above all else.

The new model comes at an opportune moment for MSIL. So I'm also interested to know this: which is a better buy at 3.5-3.7L OTR? Chevy Spark LS or WagonR Lxi?

Last edited by quadmaniac : 23rd April 2010 at 20:44.
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:28   #70
BHPian

The new WagonR sure looks better than the old one. But how is maruti able to offer multiple options in similar price range (WagonR, Ritz, Swift,Astar) and still manage to clock decent numbers for each car. Talk about Co-Opetition!

On the flip side, I feel this sure would eat into A-Star sales bigtime. Not that AStar and wagonr are posititioned for the same segment, but the largely unattractive A-Star will push customers to consider the new WagonR.
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:35   #71
BHPian

Good work Eddy

Great work Eddy. One more facet of yours to the fore. If excellence is in the details, your post is excellent!
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:04   #72
BHPian

Great Review Eddy!; Its tough to reach the level of detail of GTO but still a great review with all those little nuances in there.

Also I read there is no center (midnight) lamp , how could they miss this small but important feature? Is it really missing? OR they expect us to put an after market one with batteries and mess with it.

Also they need to provide a LXI with ABS/airbags option so that the end user can customize it to the max atleast with the ICE

OT: The website is neatly done and if you go into the accessorizer section; you can actually see what will be a neat fit for your car. Kudos for maruti/(website design team) for that feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
[*]Removing LPG option (I hope Maruti will realize there mistake soon)[/list]
As Far as the website goes the BS3 LPG option is still available, which would run parallel to the new WagonR
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:05   #73
Team-BHP Support

A quick features list comparo, from the prices posted by sidindica-

Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-wagonr.jpg
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:05   #74
BANNED

Good Review. We need more pictures of every nuke and corners of the car Eddy Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)-137416.jpg
What is the control which is marked in the picture. Is it ORVM Controls? if so whether is electrically fold too ?
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:09   #75
BHPian

USB in the ICE. Good feature. Hope they will include it in ICE given in Dzire

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks