Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 19:02   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti WagonR (2010)

Yes, you want to attempt cornering in a Tallboy. So please tell us the numbers of accidents that have taken place due to cornering in a Tallboy!

There is huge difference between a Practical car and a performance or good handling car.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/04/car...est-car-india/

Quoting the entire artcle:

Quote:
The Maruti Wagon R is an unsafe car in India because of its unsound dimensions that make its dynamics not very sound.

The Maruti Wagon R as we all know is one of the largest selling vehicles in our country, in fact it is amongst the top 5 selling cars in India. These aforementioned aspects make it quite an important car in our market and at the same time responsible too. What I mean by responsible is, that a car which averages around 13,000 units of sales every month should be a physically safe and sound car. No, I’m not talking about ABS, airbags, structural strength and the likes here but about the way this tallboy is designed by the carmaker.

The Wagon R is the only hatchback in its segment which is taller than it is wider that makes it unsound for stability. It measures 1670 mm in height and 1475 mm in width, which makes it 195 mm taller than it’s wider. Its direct rival, the Hyundai i10 looks like a proper tallboy and yet it has safe dimensions being 1550 mm tall and 1595 mm wide. Even their own Maruti Ritz has got sensible dimensions of 1620 mm height and 1680 mm width.

Cornering hard in the Wagon R is risky because you never know when those two wheels lift up getting out of control and topple the car. One can already feel the top heavy design of the Wagon R while turning at normal speeds, pronounced body roll is very much there. The sarcasm of Wagon R’s body roll goes like “even if you turn the steering while standing still, it rolls!”. It is amongst the oldest body types in Maruti Suzuki’s lineup which hasn’t changed at all with every passing generation and update of the Wagon R. The carmaker needs to address this issue before releasing the next generation Wagon R in India.

Since most Wagon R car buyers don’t drive fast, there haven’t been many issues reported yet. The vehicle sells largely for offering more space in a compact body due to the tall boy dimensions while the CNG version makes it very cheap to run. That said, India’s largest car manufacturer should focus on safety as almost every second car sold in the country is a Maruti. The Indo-Japanese automaker offers a lot of value in their cars, now if they offer safety too, it would be a nice touch.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 19:25   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Yes, you want to attempt cornering in a Tallboy. So please tell us the numbers of accidents that have taken place due to cornering in a Tallboy!

There is huge difference between a Practical car and a performance or good handling car.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/04/car...est-car-india/

Didn't get a clue as to what exactly the article wanted to convey. Is it that Indian manufacturers don't stress on safety? Or what? I don't know what value it adds other than the ratio of width:height. He himself has mentioned the reason why people buy this car. I think almost any layman would know that Wagon R is unsafe around corners and that's no rocket size and people don't buy this car in india for cornering either!

Guess they ran out of articles

Thanks for the share!
Old 14th April 2015, 19:45   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

According to this, they would claim that the Volvo buses too are unsafe ! width =2.55m and height 3.60m or 3.70m.

That article absolutely adds no informative value !

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Guess they ran out of articles
Yes, looks like that way.
Old 15th April 2015, 13:03   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti may bring idling-stop tech in India - Innovative stop-start system for better fuel efficiency, likely to be seen first on the Wagon R.
Could come in the face lift/AMT model.

This feature is available in Suzuki offerings internationally.

Quote:
The inclusion of this feature will result in a fuel-efficiency gain of approximately 2-3kpl in standard driving conditions. This system cuts off the engine once the vehicle has come to a complete stop and restarts it once the driver presses the clutch. This means, along with the engine, the AC shuts down as well. However, to keep the cabin cool while the car is shut, the idling-stop system will come with a new feature known as Eco Cool.
The Eco Cool system keeps cool air flowing even when the car is idling by using a type of cooling storage device included in the air conditioner unit to chill air.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-394473.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th April 2015 at 13:06.
Old 16th April 2015, 11:38   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, any idea how much the tail lamp cluster costs for Wagon-R? My father's Wagon-R was hit by a two-wheeler from behind last night and the tail lamp now sports multiple cracks. The bulbs are working fine but I guess the outer casing needs to be replaced..
I know it is too late to reply but the tail lamp cluster costs Rs.9xx without the bulbs. I had changed mine about a year back due to a similar crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Has anyone installed a fender mirror (like that on the Fortuner) on your WagonR. Judging the left side is a bit tricky thanks to the short sloping bonnet. On my M800, I knew where every square inch of the car stood. Not so with the Waggy.
How about installing a flag holder (brass piece with provision to insert a flag) on the on the LHS of the front bumper? I have got one on my car and it does help a lot in tight spaces. Even we migrated from a M800 and I know that feeling of compactness.

I have been wondering about the start-stop systems available on cars. Do they exert extra pressure on the starter motor and the battery and as a result reduce their life? Just imagine a stop-go bumper to bumper traffic situation during peak office hours and how many times would the starter motor have to work, battery might discharge completely since there would hardly any scope of charging on such a day. I have experienced the Micro-Hybrid system when it was first launched on the Scorpio and I was irritated.
Also how effective will the Eco-Cool system of WagonR be in a typical jam situation where you might have to wait for at least 5 mins at each junction?

Last edited by ashis89 : 16th April 2015 at 11:48. Reason: Some queries added
Old 16th April 2015, 14:15   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I know it is too late to reply but the tail lamp cluster costs Rs.9xx without the bulbs. I had changed mine about a year back due to a similar crack.
Thanks for the reply.. We have changed the tail lamp cluster at MASS and it costed a little under thousand bucks.
Old 16th April 2015, 14:25   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Thanks for the reply.. We have changed the tail lamp cluster at MASS and it costed a little under thousand bucks.
Does tail light cluster mean both the sides or is it just one light?
Does it also include the lamps?
Old 16th April 2015, 14:54   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I guess it is just for the one side without the bulbs.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 20:45   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti WagonR : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

It means for one side and it comes packed without any bulbs. Bulbs have to be bought separately.

Last edited by ashis89 : 16th April 2015 at 20:47.
Old 16th April 2015, 23:05   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How about installing a flag holder (brass piece with provision to insert a flag) on the on the LHS of the front bumper? I have got one on my car and it does help a lot in tight spaces. Even we migrated from a M800 and I know that feeling of compactness.
I somehow am not comfortable with the idea of a flag holder. Its sharp pointed top can be a safety hazard. There is no dearth of morons on Chennai roads - majority of them on two wheels. I don't want someone's shirt sleeve/saree/shawl/dupatta getting entangled on it. The bigger vehicle is almost always at fault you see. Moreover the fender mirror, if it can be installed properly does enhance the look of the vehicle.

Last edited by longhorn : 16th April 2015 at 23:07.
Old 11th May 2015, 13:55   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone replaced the suspension lower arm in their WagonR as early as 22k kms? The lower arm bush of my wagonR is cut which the mechanic recommended to replace. Though it doesn't cost much, I am wondering how the part can wear out so soon.
Old 12th May 2015, 23:02   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Has anyone replaced the suspension lower arm in their WagonR as early as 22k kms? The lower arm bush of my wagonR is cut which the mechanic recommended to replace. Though it doesn't cost much, I am wondering how the part can wear out so soon.
The front suspension bush set wont cost much. Why are you replacing the lower arm ?
The replacement could vary on multiple factors, but to the best of my knowledge, only bush set is available and replacing just that may help.

My Wagon R's ( K10 factory fitted CNG ) lower arm were OK till 48K kms. This was after repeated drives on bad roads to our village.
Old 12th May 2015, 23:27   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The front suspension bush set wont cost much. Why are you replacing the lower arm ?
The replacement could vary on multiple factors, but to the best of my knowledge, only bush set is available and replacing just that may help.

My Wagon R's ( K10 factory fitted CNG ) lower arm were OK till 48K kms. This was after repeated drives on bad roads to our village.
According to the mechanic, the suspension bushes are worn out already. And regarding the lower arm, the linkage was cut and I saw the part only after replacement. It did not look like serious damage to me and I shall post a picture of the same. Initially I had refused any replacements but later agreed to replace the lower arm as it was only 900 odd and I didnt want to risk a breakdown if the link came off. The bush apparently is not replaceable and hence changed the whole lower arm. Now the suspension bushes are supposedly needing replacement. As of now there is zero indication of worn out bushes. I shall carry out an inspection when I can spare time and then decide whether to replace or not.
Old 13th May 2015, 07:08   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The lower arm on my Wagon R has been replaced twice, once for both sides and once for only RHS. First time it was replaced around 12K KMS which I claimed under extended warranty. Second time, it was at 14K KMS!
Yes, it was replaced so early on and I had even shot off a mail to MSIL to which they said that its a regular wear and tear part so nothing can be said about durability! I feel Maruti parts are not as well made as they were earlier. My 3 year old Wagon R has got multiple items changed, most importantly the strut mountings, the steering assembly (manufacturing defect?) and lower arms. Ya, roads are bad but not that bad that it will damage the parts. The car is not at all rashly driven.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 13th May 2015 at 07:11.
Old 15th May 2015, 19:54   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The lower arm on my Wagon R has been replaced twice, once for both sides and once for only RHS. First time it was replaced around 12K KMS which I claimed under extended warranty. Second time, it was at 14K KMS!
I feel Maruti parts are not as well made as they were earlier. My 3 year old Wagon R has got multiple items changed, most importantly the strut mountings, the steering assembly (manufacturing defect?) and lower arms. Ya, roads are bad but not that bad that it will damage the parts. The car is not at all rashly driven.
Same here. Mine is 5 years old and has recently completed the 5th year(50k) service at 22K KMs. The service adviser told me that my 'RHS lower arm boot' is broken. He added that the lower arm can only be replaced as a whole unit which can cost about 1.5K and the 'boot' part cant be replaced separately. He suggested me not to replace it for just a broken boot and assured me that no major issue will arise due to this. Any suggestions?

And as BoneCollector has pointed out, i too think that the quality of Maruti parts has gone down. In a span of five years i had to replace my Steering assembly(manufacturing defect!), starter motor, front LHS suspension(all under warranty under warranty) and silencer of my car. I wonder what kind of 'quality checks' are being done by Maruti.

Most Viewed