Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 14:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Great review there Rehaan well done.
Thanks for clearing the confusion, I was under the impression the coupe was actually based on the E-class.

Like you mentioned this is a replacement for the CLK and I could never wrap my head around it.

Cheers
Old 28th April 2010, 15:58   #17
BHPian

Thats one comprehensive review! The E coupe should do about the same numbers as the CLS 350 managed. After all this is India. Everything sells
Old 28th April 2010, 22:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For a CBU, I think the car is terrifically priced. It's only a 5 lakh rupee premium over the locally-assembled sedan.
IF the E350 sedan is assembled in India, then this makes it (the sedan) a total rip-off.
Old 29th April 2010, 03:01   #19
BHPian

A Great Review of a great car!!

This car looks delicious, now only if I could afford one.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review.

One more dream car ... I wish i could afford it some day. Need to work more than i am currently doing
Old 30th April 2010, 10:45   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
However, can this compete with the BMW Z4 and the Audi TT?
The E Coupe is targetted at those looking at a "relaxed" drive; I see it as a great alternative for the self-driving CEO who can take it to work, the club on weekends, and then on driving holidays. The TT & Z4 are more sporty and really won't offer the kind of luxury that the E Coupe has. I see a lot of rich wives driving the E Coupe too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Only if they launch a diesel (with a manual?
Now that would be a long-distance cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSooSeriouss View Post
The E coupe should do about the same numbers as the CLS 350 managed.
Don't know about that. The CLS was priced higher and nearly on par with the S-Class' $$$. Also, the CLS is based on the E Class.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2010 at 10:46.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:40   #22
BHPian

Wonderful review guys. As mentioned earlier, since this car is not really a drivers car, a diesel engine would compliment its GT image.
The front seat belt lower anchorage doesnt belong to a Merc. Looks like the one from the M800.
Old 30th April 2010, 19:16   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Like you mentioned this is a replacement for the CLK and I could never wrap my head around it...
Mercedes' badging is confusing/misleading enough! i.e. the number on the badge being a very rough estimate of the engine size in certain cases.

To add to that confusion they went and did this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
IF the E350 sedan is assembled in India, then this makes it (the sedan) a total rip-off.
I'm not going to spculate on it too much, but given that the E350 sedan and E350 Coupe sell for virtually the same price in other markets, and the coupe is on the C platform, chances are their profit margins might be higher for that car. This probably lets Merc adjust the Coupe's price to bear some of the brunt of the additional CBU duty here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
...a diesel engine would compliment its GT image...
The "diesel" is still largely an image thing in India (as well as in other countries). Merc probably chose not to bring in the oil burner on the coupe for this very reason. This car is not going to be doing high volumes, and has a very select group of takers.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th April 2010 at 19:18.
Old 1st May 2010, 01:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Wonderful review guys. As mentioned earlier, since this car is not really a drivers car, a diesel engine would compliment its GT image.
The front seat belt lower anchorage doesnt belong to a Merc. Looks like the one from the M800.
The Maruti 800 was a FANTASTIC car. Ours was solidly built with VERY GOOD interior quality including the plastics. Compared to that, I have seen mercs and VWs and Audis that we have owned in the family fall apart with ease, including my 335.

To put things in perspective, when we got an S430 in 2003, the wiper blade flew off the car when it was 2 weeks old! Also, this car shuddered at 80mph, and it went into the shop like 5 times and no one figured out what was wrong!

I love the 800 and will always cherish the memories, but as they say, they don't build em like they used to!!
Old 1st May 2010, 01:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92335 View Post
To put things in perspective, when we got an S430 in 2003, the wiper blade flew off the car when it was 2 weeks old! Also, this car shuddered at 80mph, and it went into the shop like 5 times and no one figured out what was wrong!

I love the 800 and will always cherish the memories, but as they say, they don't build em like they used to!!
Is this just an issue for MB in India? I've not heard such issues here in the US. I agree regarding 800. I used to go everywhere in that car and it never let me down and never had any problems with build quality.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:28   #26
BHPian

Saw the car yesterday with a friend of mine who is planning to buy it. He is actually thinking of getting it as he doesnt care about the price he drives a S-Class at present. The car looks and feels awesome and does feel like its got the the oomph to be competing with the likes of the 6 series on paper but dont know how it is on the road.

Overall I think its a good package if only they can get the pricing a bit right.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The E Coupe is targetted at those looking at a "relaxed" drive; I see it as a great alternative for the self-driving CEO who can take it to work, the club on weekends, and then on driving holidays. The TT & Z4 are more sporty and really won't offer the kind of luxury that the E Coupe has. I see a lot of rich wives driving the E Coupe too
Rich wives driving the E coupe. Beetle and 500 would have more snob value in that department IMO.
However the self driving CEO could be the targeted buyer.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:25   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Review Rehaan. I love the the detailed Team-BHP reviews which cover everything. I have read the E-Coupe TD reports in several Auto Magazines, none of them were match to this one.
Old 27th October 2010, 19:57   #29

true muscle car

I remember in one of the top gear episodes Richard Hammond does a beautiful comparison between an american and a german muscle car. I think you got it.
In other words chevy camaro (remember bumblebee!) vs merc E.
I never ever thought that new merc E is a muscle car! Like me many of you are thinking the same right?
Hammond clarified all my doubts.If possible try to watch that episode Its really good as it was done by Hammond!! and not Jeremy! (jeremy fans please excuse me)
After contessa we can see a true muscle car on Indian roads. Thanks to Mercedes.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:37   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind.dk View Post
I never ever thought that new merc E is a muscle car! Like me many of you are thinking the same right?
Hammond clarified all my doubts.
I'm not sure i agree with this "muscle car" comparison at all, arvind.dk.

Are you sure you aren't confusing this with some proper //AMG car that was reviewed by Hammond?

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks