Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 08:25   #91
BHPian

Congratulations a lot bro! I can understand how you are feeling after waiting so long to find her.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:01   #92
BHPian

@shuvc:You hit the nail on the head bro.

The day I got the strobes installed, I actually met the guy we know as shuvc in the Kolkata circles.A very amiable and charming personality.I recognised him by his pristine silver baleno which had a couple of tbhp stickers.Needless to say, we discussed cars in general and my RS in particular lol.The RS was actually parked at a slanting angle with all the windows up while the strobes were blinking away.That and the fact that the black RS was sprayed with a film of mud as a result of some monsoon driving made it look all the more hooligan-ish.A compliment from someone who owns a sexy white civic is testimony to the head-turning abilities of the RS.I got so carried away, that I actually ended up giving shuvc some unsolicited advice on why I thought that his next ride should be nothing but an Octy vRS.

@mobike008;kutlee;akshay1234:Vids of strobes coming up soon.M a lil weak in the posting pics/vids department as I dont posess the equivalent of an RS in terms of photography equipment LOL.

@raajks:Thanx for the wishes man.Yes those 15 months were a very agonising wait.But its been totally worth it.Jus looking at it parked in the basement brings a smile on my face like this .Its a very rare breed and I FINALLY possess one.FINALLY.

@Johnny:Thanx for the wishes bro.

Last edited by octane1002 : 7th July 2010 at 16:04.
Old 25th September 2011, 23:52   #93
BHPian

Hey octane buddy,
How's your vRS doing?
No update on your thread for a long time..
Yours has been one inspiring story for many ..
Old 26th September 2011, 10:42   #94
BHPian

Re: Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)

Sorry for not having updated the thread in a long time.

The vRS has now done 318xx kms.Its been 1.5 years of pleasureable drives.Highways/late night empty city streets/occasional weekend runs within the city.

One memorable trip that stands out among all this is a drive to Shantiniketan in sometime in Feb. 2011, where the car really displayed what high speed handling was all about.Having started early morning we covered the 197 kms in 2 hrs 20 mins approx. consistently doing 150-160 and touching just short of 210 kmph a couple of times(i even hav a pic of the speedo on my friend's cam.Now before you all start flaming me, let me clarify that I was driving while my friend clicked the pic) as the highway was relatively traffic free.The stability and the amazing steering+handling combo of the car at such high speeds is something to be experienced first hand.Apart from the monstrous power this car puts out, this car is an out and out driver's car for the sheer handling prowess(not as famed as the "150 bhp turbo" engine that everyone keeps raving about) it possesses.

Apart from this, this car is still a head-turner.I mean I've had a guy in a modded civic with FFE/DRLs/Sound systyem and the works, come up to me and ask me about the "vRS" when I was out on a quiet date with my gal sitting inside the car at a drive-in.It was quite amusing.After the guy left, she asks me almost as amused as me "what's so special about this car?" and I just went .Now that is saying something.

For all the "highly expensive to maintain" talk that surrounds Skodas on this forum, I would like to say that I personally beleive that the Octavia(1.9 tdi/vRS) is the most reliable Skoda that the company has made till date.Routine maintenance is all that it has gone in for till date in my 1year 6 months of ownership.

Apart from the Yoko S-Drives(30k), Streetglow strobes(10k), 5 years road tax(28k), I have spend around 17k INR on the two times Ive taken the car for service including oil changes.The car has till date NEVER(touchwood) given me any trouble(including the famed EPC lights glowing up that you hear on most modern Skodas, or the uneven idling or the engine overheating problems that I had almost come to expect from it the day I bought it going by the horror stories on the forum here).I just remember once, when I was out with my gal on a late night, the car had started rattling from somewhere in the engine bay and me, fearing the worst, had parked it by the side of the road for a good 20 minutes thinking it was the Timing belt on its way out.But then, better sense prevailed and I started the car reasoning that such a mild rattle could not be associatiad with the TB.It was later diagnosed as the the throwout bearing which was later adjusted during the routine service.So that 's the vRS for you.I still love it as much as I yearned for it all those 13 months when I was on the lookout for such a pristine car.

P.S.The thought of selling it did come into my mind 4 months back when owing to some financial commitments I had to arrange for funds.To be honest I did get calls from a people including a couple of team bhpians..one of them from Chandigarh of all places.The deal was struck , but thankfully, my cousin who's doing his grads from Bangalore, somehow convinced me not to sell this beauty, as according to him a vRS is a very Rare Sight(pun intended) even in Bangalore and that he would love to take this car to his college campus in Bangalore just for the bragging rights.That was what sealed it right there.For a car that has been so very involving and trouble-free(touchwood) for all the time that it had spent with me, something did'nt feel right inside me.I could'nt part with it.Even thinking of this Dude being driven by someone else was agonising.So as I type this post out, the RS is standing there in my office basement, shoulders above the rest, doing what is does best..bully other lesser(and at times bigger) cars with that sinister snout.

octane.

Last edited by octane1002 : 26th September 2011 at 11:10.
octane1002 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 18:50   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Sorry for not having updated the thread in a long time.

The vRS has now done 318xx kms.Its been 1.5 years of pleasureable drives.Highways/late night empty city streets/occasional weekend runs within the city.

One memorable trip that stands out among all this is a drive to Shantiniketan in sometime in Feb. 2011, where the car really displayed what high speed handling was all about.Having started early morning we covered the 197 kms in 2 hrs 20 mins approx. consistently doing 150-160 and touching just short of 210 kmph a couple of times(i even hav a pic of the speedo on my friend's cam.Now before you all start flaming me, let me clarify that I was driving while my friend clicked the pic) as the highway was relatively traffic free.The stability and the amazing steering+handling combo of the car at such high speeds is something to be experienced first hand.Apart from the monstrous power this car puts out, this car is an out and out driver's car for the sheer handling prowess(not as famed as the "150 bhp turbo" engine that everyone keeps raving about) it possesses.

Apart from this, this car is still a head-turner.I mean I've had a guy in a modded civic with FFE/DRLs/Sound systyem and the works, come up to me and ask me about the "vRS" when I was out on a quiet date with my gal sitting inside the car at a drive-in.It was quite amusing.After the guy left, she asks me almost as amused as me "what's so special about this car?" and I just went .Now that is saying something.
Woah.Please dont make me regret not buying the Laura vRS instead of the Second Civic at home.Pictures would do justice.Please post some.Btw I remember seeing your car in Southern Avenue quite often after 11 at night.
Old 26th September 2011, 23:12   #96
BHPian

Uploading pictures from the shantiniketan trips and some random pics of the monster resting in my basement.

P.S. the famed 200 kmph pic and the beautiful combo of such a modern machine on the red soil of Shantiniketan.

Surprisingly the vRS even with its front bumper skirts manages just fine on the not so good terrain (at times) of Shantiniketan. I am proud to say that as much as it is a corner carver the beefed up suspension is just as game to tackle the rough terrain. Not to forget all those times when it has embarrassed other proud drivers of bigger machines when it has taken them on for flat-out drags and made them look just ordinary..Accords/ Civics/ 320Ds included.

@citivic: to each his own buddy. If i were you, no prices for guessing which one would have graced my stable especially if i already had a civic in the first place..ONE LIFE!

Pics courtsey: my better half and companion on the wild drives.
Attached Thumbnails
Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-290.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-291.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-292.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-293.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-294.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-319840_256424801043951_100000292987973_941553_4101101_n.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-image1703.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-image1716.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-image1738.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-image1822.jpg  

Octavia vRS for Octane1002..Finally;)-image1879.jpg  

octane1002 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 09:28   #97
BHPian

^^

Absolute drive that mate. And happy to see that you are enjoying the black beauty..the way its supposed to be!

Reading your post, for a moment I thought that you sold off the vRS. Phew, that was close.
I think good sense prevailed

Have you got the BOV for your car?
Old 18th October 2011, 12:05   #98
BHPian

@monarocv8:No BOV on my RS.Totally stock.

@cityvic:Yes that's my RS.I do come there for late night drives often.Didnt know you're located on Southern Avenue too.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:19   #99
Senior - BHPian

Well well, after nearly a year of knowing you (and the car) I finally come across your ownership thread. Good to see the detail and the emotion in the thread, and some nice pics. Also must say that its one of the most cleanly maintained RSs I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Has it ever struck you that the car was just meant for you and only you. I mean it was destined for you. I mean it ticked all the boxes of your requirements and that too at that price. May be the car got sold to the principal because some way or the other you were waiting for it. I know I am saying all crazy stuff but I am just amazed to hear such a wonderful story.
I told Octane exactly this when I heard the story for the first time. The car was being scoped by a lot of other Kolkata enthusiasts, but it waited to fall into his hands.

Quote:
Ah, so the constant pestering to take the RS on to the highway, where it belongs, has bourne fruit. Good to see you've enjoyed the speed and stability. Time for a longer drive, maybe?

Just FYI (not meaning to demean anything) 2 hrs 20 mins to Shantiniketan is pretty achievable time. I tend to visit ST (and/or my ancestral village close-by) about thrice a year, and everytime I do it in 2 hrs 30 mins INCLUDING a breakfast stop at Shaktigarh. Of course, given the condition that Panagarh-Ilambazar highway is in, factor in about 1-1.5 hrs more to reach ST.

Quote:
Pics courtsey: my better half and companion on the wild drives
You got MARRIED?
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 16:49   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Well well, after nearly a year of knowing you (and the car) I finally come across your ownership thread. Good to see the detail and the emotion in the thread, and some nice pics. Also must say that its one of the most cleanly maintained RSs I've ever seen.

I told Octane exactly this when I heard the story for the first time. The car was being scoped by a lot of other Kolkata enthusiasts, but it waited to fall into his hands.

Ah, so the constant pestering to take the RS on to the highway, where it belongs, has bourne fruit. Good to see you've enjoyed the speed and stability. Time for a longer drive, maybe?

Just FYI (not meaning to demean anything) 2 hrs 20 mins to Shantiniketan is pretty achievable time. I tend to visit ST (and/or my ancestral village close-by) about thrice a year, and everytime I do it in 2 hrs 30 mins INCLUDING a breakfast stop at Shaktigarh. Of course, given the condition that Panagarh-Ilambazar highway is in, factor in about 1-1.5 hrs more to reach ST.

You got MARRIED?
TO everybody reading this thread,I must add here, i would never have been able to muster up the courage to drive the RS down to Shantiniketan, had it not been for predatorwheels' advice/guidance and at times veiled reprimands for not having taken the RS out on a highway drive after having owned it for so long.Right down to answering my (at times) incessant calls for even the minutest of directions to reach Shantiniketan, he has always been there in a way that would put modern day GPSs to shame.

2 hrs and 20 mins is acheivable sure, I was just very pleasantly surprised with the time taken, as I really started flooring it only in the second half of the drive after the customary tea/(pee) break and that included the 20-25 minute odd crawl at Panagarh to the point where we have to take a right at Darjeeling More.

Better half..erm small mishtake..make that would-be better half.You'll be one of the first ones to know soon.Did you say a longer drive?My RS after your Verna on the longer drive.What say

Last edited by octane1002 : 18th October 2011 at 17:01.
Old 18th October 2011, 21:16   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TO everybody reading this thread,I must add here, i would never have been able to muster up the courage to drive the RS down to Shantiniketan, had it not been for predatorwheels' advice/guidance and at times veiled reprimands for not having taken the RS out on a highway drive after having owned it for so long.Right down to answering my (at times) incessant calls for even the minutest of directions to reach Shantiniketan, he has always been there in a way that would put modern day GPSs to shame
Thanku thanku, thanku for the kind words

Quote:
Better half..erm small mishtake..make that would-be better half.You'll be one of the first ones to know soon.Did you say a longer drive?My RS after your Verna on the longer drive.What say
Yup, that sounds great. But before we fix up a long drive, at least gimme a call dude. We haven't spoken in ages.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:39   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Yup, that sounds great. But before we fix up a long drive, at least gimme a call dude. We haven't spoken in ages.
Sorry for going OT, but couldnt resist this one:We did speak..I thought you were attending to your Boss' call.
Old 4th April 2012, 12:59   #103
Senior - BHPian

?? Why are you selling the car !!

Can we somehow coax you to hang onto it ?
Old 4th April 2012, 13:15   #104
BHPian

No updates from you for a long time.
And today I get to know that you are selling the black beauty !
Are you upgrading?
Old 4th April 2012, 18:22   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
?? Why are you selling the car !!

Can we somehow coax you to hang onto it ?
Thank you for the concern man.I know ,fact is I really do not want to dispose the RS but then its really not possible for us to shelter 2 big cars under the covered parking allotted to us in my complex..We have been a bigger Skoda at home now which is superb in the opinion of the elders in the family

I have been reasoning against logic/trying to convince everyone in my family to retain the car, but fact is after the Superb no one really sees the point.This car was primarily used for weekend drives and the fact is the RS is just way too sporty for elders in the family who are more impressed with the premium feel and the ride comfort the Superb offers rather than the stiff ride and mad power rush of this beast.

For me,THE RS WILL ALWAYS RULE.This is the Original Beast.The Real Deal.Period.

@monaroCV8:Hope this answers you bro.

Last edited by octane1002 : 4th April 2012 at 18:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks