Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 16:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

Surprised at the quality - honestly so was I !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am simply amazed at how those 18 year old headlamps look near new! Fantastic rejuvenation. It speaks volumes of the quality control at Mercedes (that once was??).

Normally don't like after-market wheels on Mercs...will make an exception for your car. They look fab.

Ya, the condition of the headlamps, to say the least, was surprising.

As for the after market rims..sigh !! I wish I could keep them - but the owner refused to part with them, even as an exchange with my OE Merc alloys. But never mind, the 15's that I have look brand new & shall definately be better for the ride quality (consoling myself) LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
^^ I think the rims in the pic are temporary. Ricky's got his OE rims painted and are shod with yoko's
You are absolutely right Manoj !

Adding some pictures from today.

Car was on a lift getting brake lines bled & oils checked & changed. The wing mirrors are also in place, side fender indicators will be changed as they appear to be "not in perfect condition". New set of OE mudflaps fitted. The A.C gas recharging was still to be done.

I was trying to capture the shine on the car, and mind you this is pre-polishing.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes E 250d W124-final-fitting-lubes-etc-001.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-final-fitting-lubes-etc-002.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-final-fitting-lubes-etc-003.jpg  

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 21st May 2010 at 16:49.
Old 21st May 2010, 21:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

Ricky, congrats on such a wonderful restoration project. Ricky, since the car is 18 years old for how long can it continue with DL registration? Is it till the time it's fit as per Delhi RTO norms?

Rainbow speaker, is Gunbir Veerji undertaking the ICE job?
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

Had somehow missed out on this thread. This is fantastic. The car looks spanking new.
Just one question about the headlights. In one of the pictures, where both the left and right side headlamps are visible nearly straight on, the left headlamp (left from the driver's seat) looks "yellower" than the one on the right.

Is this because of the picture itself or is that the case in real?
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:29   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Ricky, congrats on such a wonderful restoration project. Ricky, since the car is 18 years old for how long can it continue with DL registration? Is it till the time it's fit as per Delhi RTO norms?

Rainbow speaker, is Gunbir Veerji undertaking the ICE job?

Hi, the car has a fitness certification every five years after the initial registration validity. If the fitness is there which is not a problem for a maintained car, the registration remains current.

Yes BBW Distributors would be doing the audio, nothing fancy just very basic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Had somehow missed out on this thread. This is fantastic. The car looks spanking new.
Just one question about the headlights. In one of the pictures, where both the left and right side headlamps are visible nearly straight on, the left headlamp (left from the driver's seat) looks "yellower" than the one on the right.

Is this because of the picture itself or is that the case in real?

Thanks, yes the car looks pretty good. As for the headlights, there is no mismatch or any such thing. It is possibly the picture or the lighting !

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:32   #95
BHPian

I have thought of taking this path of buying and restoring a W124 so many times, but just don't have the guts to do so, good to see Ricky_63 going down that path, would really like the know the total cost involved at the very end of this beautiful restoration. The car is coming out really well, I must say.
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply Ricky. By the way are you Ricky Mehandru and own a White ANHC with Mugen grille?
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:12   #97
BHPian

Amazing Ricky, Am restoring an E220 myself. Your posts has put a big smile on my face and am waiting to see more.
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:43   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I have thought of taking this path of buying and restoring a W124 so many times, but just don't have the guts to do so, good to see Ricky_63 going down that path, would really like the know the total cost involved at the very end of this beautiful restoration. The car is coming out really well, I must say.

Thanks for your kind words. It is nice to know that other like minded people have appreciated the effort !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Thanks for the reply Ricky. By the way are you Ricky Mehandru and own a White ANHC with Mugen grille?

Sorry, I think you got me confused with someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Amazing Ricky, Am restoring an E220 myself. Your posts has put a big smile on my face and am waiting to see more.

That is nice to know. So when do we see your thread / pics ??

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

#Center caps of the alloys need to be replaced, as the clamps were broken / damaged
#A.C. gas to be charged & tested for atleast 2 days. Cannot be driving in a Steaming hot car !!
#Front discs & pads being replaced with OE stuff, as we realized that though the braking was fine, the thickness of the brake discs was lower by 3mm over recommended level.
#Audio install delayed by a week - the rainbows ordered especially from Germany are taking longer than anticipated to come.
#Headlights upgraded to 90/100 Philips Halogens

The engine idle was brilliant, the sound dampner (replacement) on the bonnet needs to come in for fitment.

All izzz well

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 22nd May 2010 at 21:28.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:36   #100
BHPian

Love the rejunuvation thread, bringing a classic to life... Congratulations and all the best be with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
UPDATE

#Center caps of the alloys need to be replaced, as the clamps were broken / damaged
#A.C. gas to be charged & tested for atleast 2 days. Cannot be driving in a Steaming hot car !!
#Front discs & pads being replaced with OE stuff, as we realized that though the braking was fine, the thickness of the brake discs was lower by 3mm over recommended level.
#Audio install delayed by a week - the rainbows ordered especially from Germany are taking longer than anticipated to come.
#Headlights upgraded to 90/100 Philips Halogens

The engine idle was brilliant, the sound dampner (replacement) on the bonnet needs to come in for fitment.

All izzz well

Cheers
Old 24th May 2010, 16:13   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Love the rejunuvation thread, bringing a classic to life... Congratulations and all the best be with you!

Thank you for your wishes. Appreciate it

Cheers
Old 24th May 2010, 16:30   #102
Senior - BHPian

Some More Pics with the OE Alloys !!

So finally here are some pictures of the car sitting on it's (new) 18 year old Alloys & Brand new Yokos V550 decibel series, 195/65/15's..

Glaring into the camera, are the 18 year young headlamps with 90/100's Philips Halogens.

Indicator lenses for the side fenders are not available as yet, order has been placed for the OE orange ones, so we'll make do with the older ones for now !

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes E 250d W124-oe-alloys-001.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-oe-alloys-002.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-oe-alloys-003.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-oe-alloys-004.jpg  

Old 24th May 2010, 16:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new car . It looks awesome . Need moar and big pictures .
Old 24th May 2010, 16:53   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Indicator lenses for the side fenders are not available as yet, order has been placed for the OE orange ones, so we'll make do with the older ones for now !
Cheers
The OE still available to order???
Old 24th May 2010, 17:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Ok here goes, I have deliberately not shot the insides yet as the interior has yet to be drycleaned.

As you can tell from the door panel, it needs some drycleaning urgently.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes E 250d W124-kids-124-005.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-kids-124-006.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-kids-124-007.jpg  

Mercedes E 250d W124-kids-124-008.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks