Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2010, 11:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
1) its just that I was expecting something radically different considering an "all new platform".

2) The K-series engine is borrowed from the A-star (as was done for the "new" estilo). The engine runs out of breath @120km/h, although I wonder how safe even that speed would be for a car of this design.

3) The A/C vents look outdated and plain ridiculous, as if lifted from a Santro. There are already reports of the A/C not being as efficient with a 3 cylinder downsized engine having to cool a larger cabin space. But I wonder with so many compromises, might as well leave them alone! For people who don't care if the engine is a 2/3/4 cylinder, I have nothing more to say.
1) It happens. The current generation Honda City is not what was expected by many. The seating position of original Honda City is much better than the current car. This happens almost everytime a new car is launched. Even in case of Figo they could have brought in the 1.4 petrol mill ( I mentioned it somewhere on TBHP IIRC ).

2) The same K10B can power the A-star quite well. Aerodynamics is the word here. The new Wagon R is quite tall and has a boxy yet practical design. The drag increase as the square of speed.

Similarly, even Santro feel out of steam pretty quickly. The best example to explain this is K12M equipped Swift and Ritz. Although the gearing is different ( slightly ), but overall effect of aerodynamics can be felt once you hit expresshighway.

3) About the lack of proper cooling, I blame it on the design of vents. I am sure they are not lifted off Santro, but I am always against the placement of vents to either side of central console. Its for wide cars like LC200, etc., not for smaller and slim cars like Wagon R, i10, i20, etc.

Downsizing the engine will not affect the performance of AC as much as downsizing the compressor. I am not sure about the compressor size of Wagon R, but after the 800, almost all cars from Maruti have fantastic AC. The problem I suspect is design of AC vents.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KameshR View Post

I felt the Dzire's rear sear little short on the knee room this could be because of the seating position.
They are just about short, my dad, who is about 5"6 says its just about comfortable. But when I sit, I feel its a tad cramped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
After shifting to the Dzire, I m really missing my Wagon R.....

You bet, the visibility is amongst the poorest in the segment.

Its much more than that. Now with the dzire I feel that i have come in a bulbous hatchy sedan with a huge butt and is powerful enough to pump some adrenaline on the highways. The huge front seats and the power mid-range is keeping me entertained.

The front's are the most comfortable. Driving in highway is a breeze, especially if its a Diesel you are owning

But after reaching the office i feel that i ve come in a car from wich i ve crawled out and think about the difficult time i had over potholes and some rattles.

The ride is too stiff, agreed. You get thrown around easily.

Quote:
Next came a very surprising question - 'who wrote the review?'

More about this please, what did you tell em?

Congrats on the car, I am about to book one soon.
Old 9th May 2010, 13:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
2) The same K10B can power the A-star quite well. Aerodynamics is the word here. The new Wagon R is quite tall and has a boxy yet practical design. The drag increase as the square of speed.S imilarly, even Santro feel out of steam pretty quickly. The best example to explain this is K12M equipped Swift and Ritz. Although the gearing is different ( slightly ), but overall effect of aerodynamics can be felt once you hit expresshighway.
Thats why it should be mainly regarded as a car for city use, rather than highways. Thats where my old Zen scores over the current crop of more tall & powerful hatches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
3) About the lack of proper cooling, I blame it on the design of vents. I am sure they are not lifted off Santro, but I am always against the placement of vents to either side of central console. Its for wide cars like LC200, etc., not for smaller and slim cars like Wagon R, i10, i20, etc. Downsizing the engine will not affect the performance of AC as much as downsizing the compressor. I am not sure about the compressor size of Wagon R, but after the 800, almost all cars from Maruti have fantastic AC. The problem I suspect is design of AC vents.
The side vents look like they have been taken out of a Santro in a scrapyard. The "split" centre vents are ridiculous. The overall increase in cabin size (compared to A-star/Estilo which have the same engine) and larger glass area puts an extra load on the compressor, which tells on the engine responsiveness.
Old 10th May 2010, 00:21   #49
BHPian

Prev Gen Wagon R

Hello all Bhpian's

Well all to dismay of people around my family, friends discouraged when i made decision to go to old wagon R on Mar 2010.

But i needed practical city car with once in a month highway trip.
When i had pics of new wagon R compared with Previous generation with 4 Cylinder F10D engine. I had fair idea, that new one would come to 3-cylinder.

This 3-cylinder engine configuration was one of the major tipping point for me, to go older wagon R with 4 Cylinder mil.
in fact, older wagon R looks more like MINI-SUV when compared with newer wagon R. I know lot of people would disagree with me for un-polished looks.

But hey,it is very very practical car.
My question is; what difference does it make to your driving skills whether your car looks like a box and curved box.

Making the above statement, does not mean other cars are not down.
I had funny observation.
Yesterday, my neighbor had gone to trip to thirupati, with 4 people. but he was just able to squeeze his luggage like in state transport bus, just for 4 people in Chevy spark.

Well , i know my wagon R can easily take twice the amount of luggauge of my neighbours. Now, this is what i call practicality, which i believe no other indian car can be compared to wagon R.

Regarding body roll in wagon R, certainly it is not built for formula 1 roads like in US or Europe. But you will enjoy body roll at speeds around 60-70 kmph, it is simply fun but within vehicle dynamic capability.

My comments about new K-series wagon R: Design should have been similiar to old wagon R and instead of 3 Cylinder K-series, they should have tweaked 4 Cylinder Mil of F10D Engine, which is simply superb.

Wagon R is ultra-practical box on wheels, which no other indian car is even close.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:04   #50
BHPian

Guys,

Do we have any comparison information between the old 4 Cylinder wagonR engine with the new 3 cylinder K series engine ? This will be more informative, I guess.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:08   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr Kamesh, congrats on your buy. And its intresting to see Maruti going through TBhp reviews to gauge the responses for their product. This from a company which holds more than half of the four wheeler market. Please share if any more details on the Maruti call.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition, I personally do not like the WagonR design but always liked its practicality. A true family hatch, with new K12 engine package got better.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:16   #53
BHPian

Congrats!!
I am late because I just arrived from Goa. Drove a Wagon R. Went via Kolhapur and returned by NH17. I understand when you say it does not feel like you have driven in a car....it is not at all tiring.

The only gripe I have with my 2009 Wagon R is that on ghats, with the longish inclines, it is difficult to overtake. 4th and 5th .. no power and in 3rd, it runs out of breath. Apart from that, my first long trip, and it was a breeze.

Also I did not find too many issue with the Gear. Only for reverse, at times, I have to release the clutch and engage it again. Of course it is not a great as my carb Zen, but it is not as bad as made to sound by some others either .

Wish you many. many happy miles with your blue Eyed boy. (Interesting name for a hatch back..no?)
Old 11th May 2010, 17:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Hello all Bhpian's

Well all to dismay of people around my family, friends discouraged when i made decision to go to old wagon R on Mar 2010.

But i needed practical city car with once in a month highway trip.
When i had pics of new wagon R compared with Previous generation with 4 Cylinder F10D engine. I had fair idea, that new one would come to 3-cylinder.

This 3-cylinder engine configuration was one of the major tipping point for me, to go older wagon R with 4 Cylinder mil.
in fact, older wagon R looks more like MINI-SUV when compared with newer wagon R. I know lot of people would disagree with me for un-polished looks.

But hey,it is very very practical car.
My question is; what difference does it make to your driving skills whether your car looks like a box and curved box.

Making the above statement, does not mean other cars are not down.
I had funny observation.
Yesterday, my neighbor had gone to trip to thirupati, with 4 people. but he was just able to squeeze his luggage like in state transport bus, just for 4 people in Chevy spark.

Well , i know my wagon R can easily take twice the amount of luggauge of my neighbours. Now, this is what i call practicality, which i believe no other indian car can be compared to wagon R.

Regarding body roll in wagon R, certainly it is not built for formula 1 roads like in US or Europe. But you will enjoy body roll at speeds around 60-70 kmph, it is simply fun but within vehicle dynamic capability.

My comments about new K-series wagon R: Design should have been similiar to old wagon R and instead of 3 Cylinder K-series, they should have tweaked 4 Cylinder Mil of F10D Engine, which is simply superb.

Wagon R is ultra-practical box on wheels, which no other indian car is even close.
+1 to the above. I am using a Wagon-R since 3 years and have found it to be an excellent VFM.

Regarding the space for luggage, i have stuffed almost 7-8 medium sized strolleys easily into the boot without having to unfold the seat !!!

Agreed, it does have certain drawbacks, but i feel it scores more brownie points in the practicality area.
Old 11th May 2010, 20:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
More about this please, what did you tell em?
Congrats on the car, I am about to book one soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Mr Kamesh, congrats on your buy. And its intresting to see Maruti going through TBhp reviews to gauge the responses for their product. This from a company which holds more than half of the four wheeler market. Please share if any more details on the Maruti call.
Hi again. I'm unable to quote verbatim the entire conversation with Maruti since I did not answer it personally, but following are the significant details.

Why a Wagon-R?
Ans: For being a practical and value for money city car.
When did you decide to buy?
Ans: 4 months back
Who wrote the review in team-bhp?
Ans: My husband
How was the dealership and buying experience?
Ans: We have been buying cars from Varun Motors from a long time. They are good.
Did they provide all the details about features and offers?
Ans: Yes
How was the delivery experience?
Ans: It was delayed by a day
Overall satisfaction with the car?
Ans: We are loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
Hello all Bhpian's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Regarding the space for luggage, i have stuffed almost 7-8 medium sized strolleys easily into the boot without having to unfold the seat !!!
Hi navrddy and Rajesh KR, we previously owned a DUO and the boot was rarely used. The new Wagon-R has a smaller boot in comparison to the previous one. So I would not be sure if so many pieces of luggage would fit anymore. Do you think Maruti shot itself in the foot or is it really not a huge issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Guys,
Do we have any comparison information between the old 4 Cylinder wagonR engine with the new 3 cylinder K series engine ? This will be more informative, I guess.
Hi theligtening, I did not see any official comparison figures but we once owned a pervious generation Wagon-R and to me the gasping of engine and the need to flog is addressed in the new car. The cylinders issue seems to have been blown out of proportion or am I not able to relate to the problem?

It becomes a huge problem if the drive is sluggish but when that is not the case then is the mind simply unwilling to accept a 3 pot? It would be interesting to hear from an enthusiast's point of view about how big a disadvantage it is to reduce a cylinder in a city car, as non-buffs hardly look beyond interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition, I personally do not like the WagonR design but always liked its practicality. A true family hatch, with new K12 engine package got better.
Thanks Latheesh, I'm sure you meant K10 and instead typed K12. Sorry to be picky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Congrats!!
The only gripe I have with my 2009 Wagon R is that on ghats, with the longish inclines, it is difficult to overtake. 4th and 5th .. no power and in 3rd, it runs out of breath. Apart from that, my first long trip, and it was a breeze.

Wish you many. many happy miles with your blue Eyed boy. (Interesting name for a hatch back..no?)
Thanks Exhaust_Note. I would encourage you to TD the new Wagon-R and feel the difference in the engine and gearbox departments. In fact my parking lot incline test is something you could easily relate to.
Old 12th May 2010, 14:00   #56
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy!
Old 14th May 2010, 17:15   #57
BHPian

Congratulations! BTW, in your last pic, what does the indicator on the left-bottom (the car with a lock) signify?
Old 14th May 2010, 17:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But few minutes into the call, the caller identified as someone from Maruti-Delhi and was inquiring about dealership experience and the car in general. Next came a very surprising question - 'who wrote the review?'

That's when it struck us that Maruti indeed made contact after reading our review at team-bhp.com and it wasn't their regular feedback calls.
At this point I would like to thank the creators of team-bhp.com for giving us this wonderful platform to share views/opinions. proud to be a bhp'ian.
Completely agree!

Did you know that informally major japanese manufacturers in India keep a watchful eye on sites such as these. I am not sure about other manufacturers as I dont have many data points.

I was told that the team-bhp site is a "free" source of market research and market reaction/feedback information for them. Not only that, it is as unbiased as possible.

I was told this by a guy I met on a plane who works for Toyota dealer development. Ditto by one of my friends who is in corporate strategy at MUL. And thirded by a guy I sold my car to - he works for Honda.

The manufacturers with a keen ear for the voice of the customer will always have an advantage over the ones who couldn't care less. More Power to the customer!
Old 14th May 2010, 17:41   #59
SCH
BHPian

Could you also kindly add a picture of the boot area in terms of space availability, i suppose that is the most perminent question of some of the members. Also what is the FE you are getting in the city with AC.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:33   #60
BHPian

Kameshji,

This is a wonderful buy.

I myself owned the old WagonR and loved every moment of owning it. I think design liking or disliking is very personal and I liked the design of WagonR because of its practicality! I remember taking long drives and always loving them.

Enjoy your new car and drive safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks