Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 12:38   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
mokshe,

As you have driven both the Bimmers and the Audis, can you tell us,

i. Is the Audi A4 as capable as the Bimmers (the 3 and the 5 Series) w.r.t handling, especially on corners?
ii. Which is more controlled in corners, the A4 3.0 TDI or the 530 d ( choose either the E60 or the F10 or both for the comparo)?
Which has the better grip and gives better steering feedback?

I have the feeling that Bimmers are better balanced since their entire weight is 'inside'/'between' the four wheels and that the front engine rear drive arrangement is best for handling.

Your feedabck will be very insightful.

Regards, drive safe
@mokshe >> just to add to what issigonis said, w.r.t grip IF you have driven both viz the Quattros and FWDs as far as Audi is concerned then i am sure the difference would be humongous whether it is grip or handling. Compare both with the Beemers and what we have is a wide category to choose from.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 18th October 2010 at 12:39.
Old 18th October 2010, 19:32   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
If you say it was "available" then it cant be only in Delhi, it has to be at places where ever Audi had its dealerships in 2009 and most DEFINITELY in Mumbai..
From what I remember the car was available in 2009 and for some unknown reasons they had stopped selling it. I have even seen the price list for that year so i am sure. Also Delhi/Bombay should have the same offerings it cannot be different. What could be true would be that before relaunching they gave you the first car.

Quote:
Is the Audi A4 as capable as the Bimmers (the 3 and the 5 Series) w.r.t handling, especially on corners?

There was a time when Audi was known for understated yet brilliant cars. They were very well balanced and had brilliant build quality. With the fight for the top slot in the luxury segment a lot has changed with this brand. When the Q7 was launched critics couldnt understand if this was really an Audi design. Then came the A4 followed with R8, Q5, new TT. The design language for Audi has evolved a lot in the last few years. Though I think the LEDS don't look nice in all the Audi. In the A4 yes, but the new Q7 looks like a car designed for Christmas and the A6 is a stick on. Obviously besides the design language there were lot of changes mechanically too. For instance the previous gen A4 was a well balanced car but the new one had to be a strong contender for the 3 Series, hence stiffer springs.

If you compare the 3 Series with the non quattro A4 I am sure 3 will be ahead. With the quattro there is a clear advantage but with the 3.0TDi engine, it also becomes nose heavy and that does affect the capabilities of the wonderful quattro. I can bet that the 2007 3 Series was one of the best handling cars ever.

If you talk about the E60 then it is one hell of a machine. I think this 5 Series was a perfect balance for handling and comfort. I have pushed this car really hard but honestly there is a lot that the car still had. The F10 is the first ever 5 which is made with comfort as an important part of the car. Even though the new gearbox must be putting better times but the older car will fly in corners. As far as the A4 is concerned I guess it ll be a very tough fight but I think the E60 will be ahead. About the F10 I am not sure as I haven't driven it.

The fact remains that in India a better handling machine is only to boost your ego. There are very few places where you can really push the car to its limit.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:33   #138
BHPian

>>>

mokshe,

Your remarks have made the Munich vs Ingolstadt question even more interesting. Clearly the Bimmers are ahead in the handling department (except for the F10, which you haven't tested yet). I would reckon that the A4 3.0 TDI will run the E60 ( 530d) very very close, even in the handling department, because of the quattro.

I only hope that the next 3 retains its DNA and does not go the F10 way in so far as the steering is concerned. I guess, except for that one (albeit important factor) the F10 is a better car than the E60.

BMW has realised quickly that the new markets where potential drivers/owners have been starved of high end driving machinery for decades (aka India, China, possibly places such as Russia, Brazil) do not value driving dynamics over comfort and looks. Goodbye hydraulic steering, enter electric steering.

Couldn't agree with you more that handling ( or for that matter torque/bhp/top speed) is only an ego thing in our country as we do not have the roads and the traffic conditions for spirited, sustained high speed driving.

Regards, drive safe
Old 24th October 2010, 11:45   #139
Senior - BHPian

Just a small update -
May onwards ,its been exactly 5 months now and today she stands at 11,276km.
She has been going great guns thankfully and that accident with the truck a couple of months ago remains the only thorn.
Yet, i am glad that she came out of servicing as good as new and here is hoping she keeps going beautifully non-stop for many years
( I seriously need to slow down a bit though. Have been churning up the kilometers with her rather quickly )
Old 25th October 2010, 09:55   #140
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I seriously need to slow down a bit though. Have been churning up the kilometers with her rather quickly )
Don't slow down, drive her all you want! German diesels are workhorses that are built to run 24/7. You'll see Audis, BMWs & Mercs regularly clocking 300,000 - 400,000 kms in Germany, and then some.

You've bought the car to drive. Do just that . And while at it, I hope you've been having your share of fun on the highway. The best drives from Bombay are:

Short - Bombay to Nasik. Tight twists, fast corners, long straights et al. The 100 kms from Dhingra Dhaba to outskirts of Nasik is fantastic.

Long - Bombay to Goa. The road's great, the destination even more so. Tough to say whether I go to Goa for the beaches or the drive

Super Long - Bombay to Delhi. I haven't done it personally, yet have heard rave reviews (especially of the roads in Gujarat state).
Old 25th October 2010, 11:39   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't slow down, drive her all you want! German diesels are workhorses that are built to run 24/7. You'll see Audis, BMWs & Mercs regularly clocking 300,000 - 400,000 kms in Germany, and then some.

You've bought the car to drive. Do just that . And while at it, I hope you've been having your share of fun on the highway. The best drives from Bombay are:

Short - Bombay to Nasik. Tight twists, fast corners, long straights et al. The 100 kms from Dhingra Dhaba to outskirts of Nasik is fantastic.

Long - Bombay to Goa. The road's great, the destination even more so. Tough to say whether I go to Goa for the beaches or the drive

Super Long - Bombay to Delhi. I haven't done it personally, yet have heard rave reviews (especially of the roads in Gujarat state).

Oh i sure am driving frequently and enjoying here thoroughly. Though here is something -

You'll see Audis, BMWs & Mercs regularly clocking 300,000 - 400,000 kms in Germany, and then some. - Then again, Germany is home to probably THE best roads in the world and conditions arnt half as harsh for cars as they are in India IMO. Yet,that said, even in Indian road conditions, 2,00,000 is easily achievable on such beautiful monsters.

As far as highway drives are concerned, there is 1 every week to Talegaon (30kms short of Pune) so the expressway run is always there.

Mumbai-Goa IMO is a driver's paradise. Havnt driven to Goa ever since she has arrived and that highway would be the best place to test the capabilities of the Quattro.

Mumbai-Nasik is another 1 I would love to try out. Heard that the road has been/is being resurfaced and is beautiful and a lot more fun than the rather monotonous Mumbai-Pune.

Finally, Mumbai - Delhi. Just like you have heard lots of praise about this route. Along with Gujarat, also about the roads in Rajasthan.

Tell you what, how about a Teutonic Shoot from Mumbai to NCR ???? Would be loads of fun along with having to dig our pockets deep

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 25th October 2010 at 11:42.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:03   #142
BHPian

Quote:

Tell you what, how about a Teutonic Shoot from Mumbai to NCR ???? Would be loads of fun along with having to dig our pockets deep
>>>

I've done Bombay-Nashik, Bombay-Goa, Bombay -Udaipur- MtAbu.
I am sure all these drives in a 3.0 TDI/530d/330i/C220 would be terrific.

Am doing Bombay-Ranikhet-Corbett-Delhi-Bombay in December. Anyone willing to drive along welcome

Regards,drive safe
Old 25th October 2010, 12:30   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

I've done Bombay-Nashik, Bombay-Goa, Bombay -Udaipur- MtAbu.
I am sure all these drives in a 3.0 TDI/530d/330i/C220 would be terrific.

Am doing Bombay-Ranikhet-Corbett-Delhi-Bombay in December. Anyone willing to drive along welcome

Regards,drive safe

Are you doing this with the Jetta or are you inducting another better German in your garage specially for this beauty of a drive ?
Old 25th October 2010, 12:39   #144
BHPian

Hi PlatzdaTurbo,
Bro you have given a really nice ownership review so far and i hope it continues like this for a long time.I want to ask you how will you rate your car on reliability aspects.People say that German cars are not so reliable and niggling issues or frequent dealership visits are always there.
How has been your experience so far and do you need to visit service center for some or the other reason?

Thanks
Old 25th October 2010, 12:56   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
Hi PlatzdaTurbo,
Bro you have given a really nice ownership review so far and i hope it continues like this for a long time.I want to ask you how will you rate your car on reliability aspects.People say that German cars are not so reliable and niggling issues or frequent dealership visits are always there.
How has been your experience so far and do you need to visit service center for some or the other reason?

Thanks
Thanks man.
Reliability - Absolutely flawless. No problems whatsoever.Touchwood. IMO I would be in a better position to answer this question in maybe a year's time or more assuming the frequent usage of the car would continue. Have to admit, reading the report of a brand-new w212 Merc being towed away in Hyderabad (i think) due to electrical problems had raised a few doubts but that is all out of the window now.
11,300kms in 5 months is quite a lot of driving and she has given us no problems atall. All the more reason to adore her to no end. I wonder if she being a CBU has something to do with the better quality. I hope my dream run continues.
Strictly personally - AUDI - RELIABILITY -

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 25th October 2010 at 12:58.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:57   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Are you doing this with the Jetta or are you inducting another better German in your garage specially for this beauty of a drive ?
>>>

Am doing it in my better Teuton - the Jetta.
It will be awhile (awaiting the discovery of oil in my building society!) before I graduate to a high profile German.

The Germans are perfect highway cruisers - very stable at high speeds, even on dicey surfaces.

Regards, drive safe
Old 25th October 2010, 23:48   #147
BHPian

Hi Platzda Turbo,

Well i had a query regarding the daytime running LEDs.I saw the new A8 with LEDs that blink in different manner like strobes and sometimes they just stay on.I guess i also saw this thing on the A4.My question is that is there any system in the car through which you can control the way the LEDs work in different modes.

Thanks in advance
Old 26th October 2010, 10:31   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
Hi Platzda Turbo,

Well i had a query regarding the daytime running LEDs.I saw the new A8 with LEDs that blink in different manner like strobes and sometimes they just stay on.I guess i also saw this thing on the A4.My question is that is there any system in the car through which you can control the way the LEDs work in different modes.

Thanks in advance

I know the feature you are talking about. It might be offered with the new A8 when launched in India.
In the A4's case, have seen it on AVANT version's of the A4 in Germany, but this feature has not come with the A4s in India. In a way i am glad as in India they would have looked like Diwali window lighting on the car blinking away to glory !!
Old 27th October 2010, 16:31   #149

No doubt about the latest obsession of Audi and Mercedes with LEDS. Audi has gone crazy with the new A8 and even the face lifted models have been given lots of LEDS here and there. I guess only the A4 and the R8 looks nice with LEDS (personal opinion).

Mercedes on the other hand was confused with what setup to be used in the headlamps. So came the LED fog lamps.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:13   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokshe View Post
Mercedes on the other hand was confused with what setup to be used in the headlamps. So came the LED fog lamps.
+1 and I seriously feel, Merc has the pathetic implementation of LEDs. In front of A4, the E class LEDs looks seriously out of place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks