Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 18:27   #166

Re: "Vorsprung Durch Technik" - Audi A4 3.0 TDI

The fact remains that with very strong petrol engines you need good fuel. Whereas diesels don't really depend on octane value. I have driven the A4 3.2 and I have to agree that the exhaust note with that refinement of that petrol is killer and you cannot get it in the diesel. Yes the diesel is very refined but we all love the redlining sound of the petrols. But another fact is that it is slower than the diesel 3.0 sibling. The new engine in the A6 which is the 3.0 TFSI is one hell of an engine and I am not being able to understand why is Audi not replacing the 3.2 with the new 3.0 TFSI in the A4 too. That will probably give the petrol edge to the current 3.0Tdi.

@dkb007: Well I ended up picking the A4 3.0Tdi. As far as the volumes of the 3.0 is concerned it is obviously very less but in Delhi I have come across a couple of them mostly whites. As far as the review is concerned need some time to add to the already well covered and explained review from plazadturbo.

Happy Motoring
Old 25th December 2010, 20:10   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokshe View Post
The fact remains that with very strong petrol engines you need good fuel. Whereas diesels don't really depend on octane value. I have driven the A4 3.2 and I have to agree that the exhaust note with that refinement of that petrol is killer and you cannot get it in the diesel. Yes the diesel is very refined but we all love the redlining sound of the petrols. But another fact is that it is slower than the diesel 3.0 sibling. The new engine in the A6 which is the 3.0 TFSI is one hell of an engine and I am not being able to understand why is Audi not replacing the 3.2 with the new 3.0 TFSI in the A4 too. That will probably give the petrol edge to the current 3.0Tdi.

The S4 uses the 3.0t. Maybe they dont want to use the same engine for the normal A4.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:33   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokshe View Post
@dkb007: Well I ended up picking the A4 3.0Tdi. As far as the volumes of the 3.0 is concerned it is obviously very less but in Delhi I have come across a couple of them mostly whites. As far as the review is concerned need some time to add to the already well covered and explained review from plazadturbo.

Happy Motoring
Congratulations for an awesome Pick . Which color have you bought your Hot & Sizzling Babe in? Do you reside in Malviya Nagar because today itself i have seen a brand new A4 3.0 Tdi in Black there.

You can start a new thread for your experiences and pictures .

Rightly said about plazadturbo as it is a very comprehensive thread. Full marks to Plazadturbo. Keep up the good work buddy as you are impressing and motivating perspective buyers like mokshe and many others.
Old 28th December 2010, 01:02   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb007 View Post
Congratulations for an awesome Pick . Which color have you bought your Hot & Sizzling Babe in? Do you reside in Malviya Nagar because today itself i have seen a brand new A4 3.0 Tdi in Black there.

You can start a new thread for your experiences and pictures .

Rightly said about plazadturbo as it is a very comprehensive thread. Full marks to Plazadturbo. Keep up the good work buddy as you are impressing and motivating perspective buyers like mokshe and many others.

Thanks
I would really be proud of myself if i can manage to motivate people to buy cars like the 3.0tdi as they are not practical buys by any means. Meant to be bought by half crazy car fanatics like yours truly
Congrats mokshe. Welcome to the club!
Old 29th December 2010, 15:01   #170
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2011 at 19:29.
DMehta is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st December 2010, 15:32   #171
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Last edited by Dippy : 31st December 2010 at 17:00. Reason: See the note in your post
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:26   #172
Senior - BHPian

Update @ 14,400kms-
She had a flat en-route to talegaon last afternoon with my dad at the driver's seat ( i wasnt there)
Luckily she got a flat , NOT on the expressway but just 1.5 kms away from talegaon. The car was jacked up and repeated attempts to get the rim out were futile.It had jammed. The car had to be slowly driven to the nearest garage over cobbled roads where the guy used a hammer to pull out the rim. The tyre is history and will have to be replaced.
The entire return journey (130km) from Talegaon to Mumbai was done with the spare which is half the width of the normal rims and also a size down. (16inch)
The spare screams out speed limits of 80kph with warnings imprinted at various places on the spare in such a way that they cannot be missed.
List of the car's niggles after 8months & 14,400kms -
-Rear left tyre replacement with a new 1.Other tyres too will be thoroughly checked after this incident.
-Car has soiled extensively in the bottom sections (around the tyres and axle) with lots of mud,slurry,dust accumulation after extensive usage in the monsoon will have to be thoroughly cleaned
-Extensive and meticulous cleaning and polishing is almost mandatory. Oil and grease lining ,spots, patches around some parts of the body have persisted despite me breaking my back behind them multiple times. Only thorough polish treatment would see the end of them
- Something wrong with the windscreen wiper water-jets. Despite filling up the tank repeatedly, no water jetting out of the spouts.
-Excruciating squeak sounds from the front breaks at times
-Front left headlamp washer does not retract at times. Only after spraying the headlamps TWICE with water does it go in.
- & of course the usual service procedure apart all this like oil change etc.
Have booked an appointment for the 6th of January
So she would finally go in for her first pampering (well deserved at that) after a marathon 14,400km

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 3rd January 2011 at 10:29.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:57   #173
BHPian

Sad to hear about the tyre. I don't understand why the spare tyre is provided with different configuration? How much will be the new tyre for? Can we ask the spare tyre of the same configuration while the purchase or it has to be changed after the purchase? What are the approximate charges if gone for the spare tyre of same configuration?
Too many questions i suppose .
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:06   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb007 View Post
Sad to hear about the tyre. I don't understand why the spare tyre is provided with different configuration? How much will be the new tyre for? Can we ask the spare tyre of the same configuration while the purchase or it has to be changed after the purchase? What are the approximate charges if gone for the spare tyre of same configuration?
Too many questions i suppose .

I can only answer most of your questions after Thursday.
Why is the spare of a different configuration ?? > cost saving i presume ? I dont see any other logical reason.
& yes i think we can ask for a spare tyre at the time of purchase but it wont be feasible as the slot in the boot is only big enough to accommodate the space saver. Found out just yesterday. The car is currently on the space saver and the flat tyre is in the boot. It didn't go into the slot as it is only big enough to take in the space saver.
Old 9th January 2011, 11:19   #175
Senior - BHPian

1st Service Update - Through with all the small niggles. She has been cleaned and polished thoroughly and the tar marks on the body have finally all vanished. Relief
Bad news - Its still running on the ridiculously thin space saver. The Bridgestone Potenza 225/50 with the specific tread pattern that we need is not traceable anywhere. Asked at 2 to 3 known places yet no one has them in stock. All of them said they would get back to me later and even after multiple phone calls to them, it hasn't borne fruit. Still scouting for it and keeping my fingers crossed.
If nothing prevails, the wait could go on for as long as 3 odd weeks
Asked Audi for the spare. Here is what they had to say (this is going to be good ) - "Sir we dont have the tyre in stock, we will have to get it down from Aurangabad, and our rate is fixed .....Rs.55,000/- "
& yes IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST A WEEK TO COME.
So basically we pay them this ridiculous amount for a god damn tyre and end up waiting for months ! ( For the record , 1 day in Audi India's calender is 10 days in the rest of the world's calender)
Con-men of the first order! (At the risk of being reported i will still say it)>>> Showed them the middle finger & on the look out ever since !I would rather wait for a month than pay up to those you-know-whats !
Seriously, the space saver is nothing but an irritant ! A strict speed limit of not above 80kph is to be followed. Really hope i find the tyre soon
Old 11th January 2011, 07:27   #176
Senior - BHPian

With no Bridgestones sourced no matter where i looked, I had finally lost heart after scrolling through 4 to 5 more tyre shops across lamington road. On my return journey i got a call from Premji,Mahim. He had a 225/50 94V (as against the Y i was looking for)
& it was a Michelin.
Had a talk with dad, gave it some thought - "Ah what the heck ! this is my best and probably ONLY chance for god knows how many days now.I am taking the plunge"
No one had any idea when the Bridgestones would be available ANYWHERE and i wasnt willing to wait for months, especially with that sick space saver on the car.
Made the approval call, got it done within no time from Premji (meticulous work ,I must say) & walla !...she now flies like a Peregrine Falcon again !
Only thing to keep in mind being, the 'V' in 94V means a speed limit of 240kph as against a limit of 270 on the other 3 Bridgestones. ( They are 94Y)
Then again, how many times in my life am i even going to hit 200 ?? forget 240 !
So it isnt a botheration.
Glad that's through. Sigh of relief !
Old 11th January 2011, 11:18   #177
BANNED

Hey nice u got the specific tyre for your car..

what's your car's 0-100? ever calculated?
Old 11th January 2011, 11:23   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
Hey nice u got the specific tyre for your car..

what's your car's 0-100? ever calculated?

6.2secs to 100kph. they are official figures
Old 11th January 2011, 11:25   #179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
6.2secs to 100kph. they are official figures
Thats pretty awesome..

mine poor does in 7.5. deserves this
Old 11th January 2011, 11:29   #180
Senior - BHPian

Happy to hear that you solved the issue.

Is there any difference in tread pattern compared to Bridgestones?

What about noise?

Finally, how much it cost your pocket for that Michelin?

Regards

Vinu

Most Viewed