Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 12:25   #1
BHPian

Hi guys this is my first car review, so feeling excited and nervous. sorry for any mistakes that i might make.

I was a vendor for VW and had been following the Passat for almost 3 yrs now.My sales consultant at Downtown VW Mumbai had informed me in march tht the crdi automatic was gonna make way for petrol & manual tranny. so watever they had ex stock was the last lot of crdis. I did go to the showroom on 4th march to dicuss abt benefits and discounts but next day was informed tht the silver and mocca anthracite ( my desired color ) were sold and they were out of cars. I went to the auto mall exhib. only to discover that they were the same guys ther. My fav color was ther at navi mumbai and vidyut in Pune had silver leaf, my dads fav color. We still wanted the car from downtown so we gave them the booking amt. only to be told tht the cheque would be deposited only if color is available at Auranagabad ( Ckd assembly there ). Color was available, cheque was deposited and then i was informed ther was a miscommunication due to which my complete amt would be refunded. After a no. of meetings with the GM and Consultant I was compelled to book the car from KSM Navi Mumbai and my experience ther was awful. Eventually got the car from them after they troubled me lot for payments and had my car delivered on 1st April. Will divulge details if needed.
Then sent the car to Downtown for accessory fitting & it was redelivered the way a VW should be delivered on 16th april. Car has done 600 kms, FE is 10 ( gross ) but hav to take it to the workshop as centre armrest has some wrinkles.
I was getting 40k off on the insurance from Downtown but Navi Mumbai offered me only 25k disc on ex-showroom and were boasting of many customers wanting to buy my car. it cost me 28.02 lacs. + 69k for accessories ( got frm Downtown Mumbai ). The accessories were 1. V- Kool Sun Film Diamond, 2. Door scuff Plates ( has passat written in chrome plating on all 4 doors ), 3. Bluetooth kit, 4. Mud Flaps, 5. Rubber Mats with Boot, 6. Car Cover ( Du Pont ), 7. Mirror Lock, 8. Anti Scratch all round Protection ( new accesory which covers all possible places of contact or scratches, on the same line as door guards ), 9. 2 imported wax car perfumes ( bought later ).

The car up until nw has been good except for the rear centre armrest which shows some wrinkles on the edges ( gonna take it to the workshop tom ). also the large boot cavity causes noise intrusion in cabin when goin over potholes. auto hold and electronic parking brakes are fabulous features.
Have informed VW about the Dealer's Behaviour

Got a couple of scratches on the grab handle on front passenger side yesterday ( wanted to murder that auto guy ). Workshop guy said polishing should suffice.

Thanks for the reply guys. Great to know that people appreciate my choice. I shall upload Pictures in a day or two ( just settling into my new house ).

My car is a VW Passat 2 L crdi which belts out 140 BHP.

Pros:
- Has a very silent crdi, infact i just love the sound of it when we switch
off the ignition; seems as if a silent jet engine is being powered down! Thank God that the PD clatter is not there.
- Built like a tank. feels solid on opening doors, boot. Feels very secure
when sitting inside. Interior fittings top class.
- VW's rough road package provides a metal covering to the underside which is a very robust protection when goin over bad breakers and bumps.
- Definitely a head turner even in mumbai! ( car with ribbons attracted
more eyes. felt like it was gift wrapped ), a welcome change for people
who have got used to mercs and bmws on the road. Gives a feel of
exclusivity.
-Good legspace ( a 6 footer from our office loves it backseat ). Seats well bolstered and hug you.
- Love its key and press and drive feature.
- Auto Hold and Electronic Parking Brake frees up space near centre console. Auto Hold always on makes it a breeze to drive in traffic.
- DSG! How can I forget the auto tranny. The tranny is meaty and one can slightly feel car changing gears while driving. Paddle shifts also a good feature.
- Dynamic Levelling Lights and Adaptive Cornering lights improve driveability at night ( VW took a feedback from me on this ). Levelling lights adapt according driver seat position and Cornering Lights help lights to turn upto 15 deg. with steering wheel.
- OEM Music System is good ( but not a Dynaudio).
- Electronic Sun Blinds on the rear winshield and manual sunblinds on rear side windows help increase privacy ( coz i work in the car )
- Loads of safety equpiment

Cons: compelled to write!

- Turbo Lag still prevalent to some extent, although not as obvious as in a PD
- Steering starts feeling disconnected with increase in speed.
- Car's dimensions makes it a hassle to manuover in traffic ( My chaffeur is wary of autos and biles ).
- Less space compared to Superb ( some guys have told me that )
- Memory function missing on front Passenger seat
- No USB input in Music System RCD 510 ( a glaring omission ). Also position of aux-in inside front arm rest. No way to control music from back seat either.
- Mud Flaps ( an added accessory ) positioned quite low so hit speed breakers with faulty specs.
- Car underside though protected sends a gulp down the throat when the underside touches
- Huge Boot cavity causes noise intrusion into the cabin when going over bumps.

Car has done 800 kms with a couple of trips to the fuel station. FE ranges from 8 to 10ish in the city. Havent got a chance to go out of town so havent tested its highway manners.( busy with work ) will post some more info in some time but first upload some pics.

Last edited by Dippy : 11th May 2010 at 15:04. Reason: Making it a single post and doing some formatting
Old 7th May 2010, 14:19   #2
BHPian

Congrats on getting the last of the Passat CRDI. I always liked the Passat, it is a great differentiating factor from the Superb and besides, you have contacts at VW Downtown. Wishing you happy mile munching! What sort of a discount did you get?
Old 7th May 2010, 17:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Awesome kimianks
Congrats
Post some pics of the VW .
Also keep us updated about the car.
Njoy
Cheers
Old 11th May 2010, 15:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Passat. Do post some pics and a detailed review.

Enjoy many more miles on your Passat
Old 20th December 2010, 12:04   #5
BHPian

Re: VW Passat arrives

I am so sorry that i have been missing for so long on Team BHP. Was not in town for a long time and then had loads of work when i came Back. Took a trip to Surat in the Passat, must say that I was very impressed by the stability of the car. It was so well planted! However the speedbeakers... ( The govt. needs to look into this issue ) some of them are so huge that even a Captiva had damage on the underside. thanks to VW who have given a rubber shield on the underside which protects the car ( Had it checked at the Service Centre - Must say the guys at Downtown VW Service Centre are EXCEPTIONALLY HELPFUL ). Will post Pics soon. Please forgive me for the Delay :(
Old 26th December 2010, 14:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi kimianks, Nice to see a Passat review on the Forum. Please post some pics and keep updating the with the ownership experience.
Old 26th December 2010, 16:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations ! Snaps please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
- Steering starts feeling disconnected with increase in speed.
Do you still feel this?

I had a similar feeling after a brief drive in the TSi. It would go where I pointed, but as you mentioned, feels a bit disconnected. It may be a bit over-assisted. Very smooth. Excellent in low speeds.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Congratulations ! Snaps please

Do you still feel this?

I had a similar feeling after a brief drive in the TSi. It would go where I pointed, but as you mentioned, feels a bit disconnected. It may be a bit over-assisted. Very smooth. Excellent in low speeds.
Thanks Bro. I meant over assistance but its nt much of a bother to me. Im very happy with the car. Glad not to have got a Beemer or the 3 pointed star. this is more VFM and packs in loads of features. However i ran into a Coolant Low issue. Filled it with water and now monitoring the situation. Seems like the Coolant lasts less than an year. :(
Old 27th December 2010, 22:30   #9
BHPian

Though it has been a long time since you have got the car, still congrats.
And yes, snaps are still awaited.
My bad, but isn't the Passat available in the oil-burner variant now. Really surprising.
Old 28th December 2010, 02:55   #10
BHPian

kimianks - What happened to the snaps?? We are waiting for this from May!!

Please haven them uploaded soon (with interior pics)
Old 28th December 2010, 09:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

OT!

Love the 2011 Passat's looks. Looks like built to last and mean but stealth.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2011-...-In-Depth.html
Old 28th December 2010, 12:17   #12
BHPian

Pics uploaded. Enjoy!! and Really Sorry for the DELAY

The color is Mocha Anthracite with Burr Walnut Interiors

The Pirelli P7s are one of the best 17 inchers that i have come across. The DSG makes it a breeze to drive in Stop go Traffic
Attached Thumbnails
VW Passat arrives-imag0260.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0314.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0315.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0316.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0317.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0318.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0320.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0321.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0323.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0324.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0325.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0327.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0328.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0329.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0330.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0331.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0332.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0333.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0334.jpg  

Last edited by Amartya : 28th December 2010 at 12:58.
Old 28th December 2010, 13:03   #13
BHPian

NO USB and Audio Controls at rear - A Glaring Omission
Attached Thumbnails
VW Passat arrives-imag0335.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0336.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0337.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0339.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0340.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0341.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0342.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0343.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0344.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0345.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0346.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0347.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0348.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0349.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0350.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0352.jpg  

Old 28th December 2010, 13:19   #14
BHPian

Manual Sun Blinds at the Sides and Electronic in the rear
Attached Thumbnails
VW Passat arrives-imag0353.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0354.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0355.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0356.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0357.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0358.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0359.jpg  

VW Passat arrives-imag0360.jpg  

Old 28th December 2010, 14:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice!! Amazing car and brilliant detailed pictures. Hearty congratulations and wishing you unlimited happy and safe miles with your Passat!

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th December 2010 at 17:20. Reason: Please use full and proper English in the posts. Thanks

Most Viewed