Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 16:57   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My silver steed is here -- Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_driver View Post
My car is a feb 2010 model. How do I check this detail from the VIN as you say. It is really such a pity else the car is a beaut otherwise. Skoda and VW really need to do something fast, I haven't gone around bashing Skoda, but post this have at least 3 potential superb customers who are now seriously thinking a Skoda / superb purchase.
You can decode Skoda/VW VIN details here VW/Audi/Seat/
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 12:02   #92
BHPian

Some good news but it needs to be checked out independently. Jitender, the senior engineer, at the dealership told me today that the mechatronics that will now be installed in the car is a "vastly improved" version of the previous one. He claimed since this had been incorporated, there have not been any complaints. He also hinted that if this problem was to occur again, even after the warranty period but within the 2+2 period, Skoda would replace it free of cost even if I don't have the 2+2 warranty. This, he said, was to keep a "friendly approach" towards customers I can't believe this is true If so, Skoda has surely "hit a boundary" as it were.

The part was despatched by Skoda on Tuesday and is expected to reach the dealer on Saturday and, thereafter, the car will be handed over to me within 24 working hours.
ivar1951 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 13:03   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951
Some good news but it needs to be checked out independently. Jitender, the senior engineer, at the dealership told me today that the mechatronics that will now be installed in the car is a "vastly improved" version of the previous one. He claimed since this had been incorporated, there have not been any complaints. He also hinted that if this problem was to occur again, even after the warranty period but within the 2+2 period, Skoda would replace it free of cost even if I don't have the 2+2 warranty. This, he said, was to keep a "friendly approach" towards customers I can't believe this is true If so, Skoda has surely "hit a boundary" as it were.

The part was despatched by Skoda on Tuesday and is expected to reach the dealer on Saturday and, thereafter, the car will be handed over to me within 24 working hours.
This is definitely good news.
Quick question would one be able to get this "vastly improved" part beforehand or one has to wait for the car to develop fault?
Old 1st September 2011, 13:39   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post

Did he say when they started shipping the pieces with this new part? My skoda purchase is on the back burney mainly because of that. I never really found value in any other car at the price point. Many thanks for that nice piece of news.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:43   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
This is definitely good news.
Quick question would one be able to get this "vastly improved" part beforehand or one has to wait for the car to develop fault?
A good question. I'll ask the local dealer. As a good company they should actually recall all cars with older version of the mechatronics, because of its repeat failures, and replace it free of cost.
ivar1951 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 14:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Did he say when they started shipping the pieces with this new part? My skoda purchase is on the back burney mainly because of that. I never really found value in any other car at the price point. Many thanks for that nice piece of news.
I'll ask him. Probably in 2011? Yes, a lovely car with an excellent engine and features let down by the mechatronics. Maybe, this may turn out as a blessing in disguise that I get the new version during the warranty period.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:57   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I'll ask him. Probably in 2011? Yes, a lovely car with an excellent engine and features let down by the mechatronics. Maybe, this may turn out as a blessing in disguise that I get the new version during the warranty period.
Yeah looks like you are lucky. I was reading about a Jan 2011 Toureag in Europe, so probably end 2010 make. May be in the first half of 2011. Then they didn't have time to test the new unit yet on long term use. But then VW is providing them with the new passat, which makes me believe that they did something to the DSG box to make it worthy for passat. You have got another 3 years atleast for the new mechanotronics. Indeed it looks like they have become more customer friendly, which they should have been at the first place. Thanks for that news again. Looks like I will be picking up an L&K soon
Old 1st September 2011, 15:00   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah looks like you are lucky. I was reading about a Jan 2011 Toureag in Europe, so probably end 2010 make. May be in the first half of 2011. Then they didn't have time to test the new unit yet on long term use. But then VW is providing them with the new passat, which makes me believe that they did something to the DSG box to make it worthy for passat. You have got another 3 years atleast for the new mechanotronics. Indeed it looks like they have become more customer friendly, which they should have been at the first place. Thanks for that news again. Looks like I will be picking up an L&K soon
You do know the Petrol Superb and the L&K/Passat have a different gearbox right? The former is a dry clutch 7 speed while the latter is a wet clutch 6 speed. Though they claim to have made improvements on the 6 speed too.
Old 1st September 2011, 15:00   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah looks like you are lucky. I was reading about a Jan 2011 Toureag in Europe, so probably end 2010 make. May be in the first half of 2011. Then they didn't have time to test the new unit yet on long term use. But then VW is providing them with the new passat, which makes me believe that they did something to the DSG box to make it worthy for passat. You have got another 3 years at least for the new mechanotronics. Indeed it looks like they have become more customer friendly, which they should have been at the first place. Thanks for that news again. Looks like I will be picking up an L&K soon
Lets keep our fingers crossed. I'll be able to post more on this when I meet engineer Jitender on Saturday or Monday.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:15   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You do know the Petrol Superb and the L&K/Passat have a different gearbox right? The former is a dry clutch 7 speed while the latter is a wet clutch 6 speed. Though they claim to have made improvements on the 6 speed too.
Good point. And if I am correct, the 6 speed is the one doing duty in the diesels (e.g.; New Jetta 2.0 CR), and also on the high performance petrols in the international markets - Golf GTI, Octavia RS etc.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:18   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good point. And if I am correct, the 6 speed is the one doing duty in the diesels (e.g.; New Jetta 2.0 CR), and also on the high performance petrols in the international markets - Golf GTI, Octavia RS etc.
Thats right. Because the smaller 7 speed which VW and Skoda use cannot take more than 250nm of torque. There is a 7 speed DSG which can take more, which is on the Q5 etc, but Skoda and VW don't use it yet.
Old 1st September 2011, 17:19   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thats right. Because the smaller 7 speed which VW and Skoda use cannot take more than 250nm of torque. There is a 7 speed DSG which can take more, which is on the Q5 etc, but Skoda and VW don't use it yet.
Hi akshay, yes I do know that. The 6 speed was the slightly modified original brog-warner design. It had innumerable problems. The VW came up with the "improved" 7 speed, with dry clutch, but still have problems. All cases, it was the mechanotronics failing. So I was hoping a improvement is an improvement for all
Old 1st September 2011, 22:51   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some good news but it needs to be checked out independently. Jitender, the senior engineer, at the dealership told me today that the mechatronics that will now be installed in the car is a "vastly improved" version of the previous one. He claimed since this had been incorporated, there have not been any complaints. He also hinted that if this problem was to occur again, even after the warranty period but within the 2+2 period, Skoda would replace it free of cost even if I don't have the 2+2 warranty.
Awesome news.
If Skoda start providing such support, no other car can even come close to the magical driving experience of the DSG.

BTW, what's the cause of failure according to them?
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:39   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Awesome news.
If Skoda start providing such support, no other car can even come close to the magical driving experience of the DSG.

BTW, what's the cause of failure according to them?
I am hoping to find out the cause when I visit the dealership tomorrow. But I have my doubts whether the local people will have the expertise to find out why the problem occurred. They are more likely to just say the mechatronics has a fault. Thats it! But will try and probe. I'm also hoping to confirm what engineer Jitinder has stated on the replacement of parts, which faulted during the warranty period, after the expiry of the warranty. Its too good to be believed!
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:43   #105
BHPian

Got my car back on wed Aug 31 from Millenium Skoda Coimbatore. The mechatronic unit was replaced and all is well!!
Must commend Millenium Skoda - Their service levels were terrific. The service manager did mention that the 2009 manufactured mechatronic units seem to have the inherent fault. The 2010 and 2011 manufactured units are fine. She mentioned that my car was fitted with a 2011 unit.
There was a Skoda official who also happenned to be there at that time - however, he had no answer as to why the fault is hapenning on the 2009 units. have asked him and Skoda India to revert in writing with the reason for the failure and how this has now been addressed. While the dealership (millenium) has been extremely proactive - have got no real response for Skoda India. Checked at Millenium - Apparently they have had 5 reported mechatronic failures. Also, Gurudev motors chennai said that they have had 5-6 mechatronic failures which they have attended to. These seem pretty high no's. What we now need to figure out and validate through this forum if these failures are only hapenning in the 2009 manufactured mechatronic units or are there any instances of 2010 / 2011 units also failing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks