Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 14:16   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Had spoken too soon. The rattle from around LHS dashboard area was becoming quite an irritant again. Am quite unhappy with these rattles. The Baleno was a lot more rattle free initially !
I hear you. The parcel tray rattle (rear left area) on BQ which was fixed (to their credit) during the 1st free service has re-appeared. While I know it's a minor issue and can be fixed easily, the Civic is also apparently a "premium" car .

Quote:
I now feel more comfortable in the Civic seat than the Baleno seat (which in itself is quite a lovely place to be). Am getting used to the spacious Civic seat. I've now sorted out the seat adjustments and don't miss the lumbar support.

It's another thing that I have to readjust the seat everytime after it goes to the service centre! Next car should have power seats and memory, eh?
In my case it seems like I've just gotten over the initial "discomfort" (for lack of a better word) and the body has adjusted to the current seating position. The only issue is when I have to crawl through 1st gear traffic for more than 15-odd minutes, because in the current setting, the clutch pedal requires a very tiny stretch which is OK for gear-changing but not for keeping the foot on the clutch for extended periods of time (such as in stop-go jams).

Power seats and memory are really required. Have you seen the feature set on the new i10? It's one thing to have a Cruze beat the Civic on features, but to see the i10 doing it as well... words escape me! I say get rid of cruise control and give us all of the other cool stuff the manual talks about!

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th December 2010, 14:21   #167
Senior - BHPian

3rd Service

3rd Free Service was done on 1st December. Bill - Rs. 1219.
This was around the 7K kms mark. I was not in town for a month, else it would have been closer to 10K. Crossed 8000 kms yesterday.

No issues as such. Except the dashboard rattles. Once again there were rattles from the LHS and from the dash area behind the steering wheel. They rectify it and it comes back in a week or so.

Oil was changed. Synthetic was not mentioned even. The LHS rattle was fixed. Has not recurred in these 2 weeks. The other rattle returned in 2 days.

Went for a 450kms round trip this weekend. The engine seems to have opened up a bit. Not by a huge perceptible margin, but maybe 10-15%. What I love is that it can travel at very high speeds without guzzling fuel. I was trying this out. One just needs to shift between 3-4K and go up the speedo in 5th. I did manage 11.8kmpl without AC, which is less than my current non-AC city average of 12-13kmpl. But then I was expecting sub-10 figures on the highway .

Oh and it's got a few scratches. ALL of them almost at standstill !!
1. I was carefully trying to park at the kerb. Did not notice a concrete boulder. Pushed it at 2kmph and the LHS bumper had a dent + scratches.
2. I was parked alongside the kerb. Fairly empty Rajarhat side road. A Santro comes alongside, apparently to cross me and park in front of me. Instead he bangs his left wheel into the RHS bumper !!! I was stunned. He backed out and fled.
3. Parking carefully at City Centre mall. Inching towards the bushes at the back. Dhuk. Bootlid nudges a fire hydrant wheel lurking inside the greenery! 1mm sq dent.
4. Stationary in a traffic snarl on the highway. Omni comes and kisses the rear bumper. 1mm sq. paint removed.
5. Crowded narrow street. One side dug up. Ambulance approaching from the opposite direction. I go extreme left and park. Ambulance crosses. I see auto parked in front of me. Do a full right lock to inch past it. LHS bumper scratches against something jutting out from the bottom of the auto body. Biggggg scratch :(:(
6. A couple of scratches on the RHS doors. I suspect kids in the society.
7. Some on the mirror cases. Mainly LHS. Brushed against some hedge/bush.

Sigh ... need to get a paint job done soon. At least for the front bumper.

But what the heck ! It's a wonderful car. A hoot to drive on the highways.
Old 15th December 2010, 13:21   #168
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3rd Service

Quote:
3rd Free Service was done on 1st December. Bill - Rs. 1219.
How come there's a bill for 1219 for a free service? Did you get any "treatment" done? Or is it just the oil change (which I thought would be higher)?

Quote:
No issues as such. Except the dashboard rattles. Once again there were rattles from the LHS and from the dash area behind the steering wheel. They rectify it and it comes back in a week or so.

The LHS rattle was fixed. Has not recurred in these 2 weeks. The other rattle returned in 2 days.
The rattles are the truly day-to-day maddening aspect. For all its build quality and the fact that the doors thud (rather than clang) shut, it's still a Jap where you essentially pay for the engine and reliability and everything else is a bonus.

I've got one on the rear parcel tray (fixed and recurred), had one from the dashboard (fixed) and am now hearing some squeaks from the steering wheel assembly. It turns out that the housing has snapped open just above the ignition/lock keyhole and try as I might, it will snap open moments after I snap it shut :(.

Quote:
What I love is that it can travel at very high speeds without guzzling fuel. I was trying this out. One just needs to shift between 3-4K and go up the speedo in 5th. I did manage 11.8kmpl without AC, which is less than my current non-AC city average of 12-13kmpl. But then I was expecting sub-10 figures on the highway .
+1 to that. The FE is astonishing for the thrills the engine provides. My highway FE figures are upwards of 13.5 kmpl (AC on all the time) with not-very-constant-speed driving (including some bursts of really high speeds).

Quote:
Oh and it's got a few scratches. ALL of them almost at standstill !!
It's sad but that's just how it is. I share your pain. The last couple of months has seen BQ racking up more scratches than miles and this is just the way of life in our conditions. There's nothing we can do about it, so let that not affect you too bad!

Regards,
spadix
Old 15th December 2010, 13:49   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
How come there's a bill for 1219 for a free service? Did you get any "treatment" done? Or is it just the oil change (which I thought would be higher)?
Just the oil change + filter. Normal mineral oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
+1 to that. The FE is astonishing for the thrills the engine provides. My highway FE figures are upwards of 13.5 kmpl (AC on all the time) with not-very-constant-speed driving (including some bursts of really high speeds).
11.8kmpl surprised me, since I have managed max around 10.5/11 with the Baleno with the same driving style and under similar circumstances on the same highway.

I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to get the bumper painted at an independent garage.
Old 19th December 2010, 21:45   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
11.8kmpl surprised me, since I have managed max around 10.5/11 with the Baleno with the same driving style and under similar circumstances on the same highway.
Same highway stretch once again this weekend. But a very sedate drive. Between 80-120 mostly with no high-revving.

FE - 15kmpl !!! Still can't believe it !
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:49   #171
Senior - BHPian

Re: ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T

Pinnacle Honda had followed up after the 3rd service. I had mentioned I was unhappy with the dashboard rattle. Good of them to keep following up on it and then I finally took another appointment today.

The mechanic who went for the TD was not convincing. He started insisting that the tyre pressure could be an issue ! So I said check it !

Anyway, then he said they might need to open up the steering wheel and the airbag. The sound is probably there. I'm pretty sure it's up ahead behind/below the instrument panel. I wonder if the airbag hint and the subsequent complicated procedure to dismantle and reassemble, was mentioned to get me off their back.

I'm not too keen on letting them take apart that steering wheel. I think I'll live with it and bring it up again during the next service with a different mechanic/service advisor

The bumpers are picking up too many scratches :( .. might need to go for a paint job soon.
Old 25th December 2010, 12:16   #172
dot
Senior - BHPian

Hey, great review on a "wonderful car" so far. I must say, reading all the reviews on Civic so far on this forum, that all owners, including me, sound like excited kids when they talk about Civic. It brings back the boy in us, I guess. Please dont take me wrong, I am not intending to sound condescending. It is the pleasure, wonder and excitement of driving a Civic which I am trying to highlight. For example, discovering the joy of the armrest being extendable, first glance after a nice wash at Honda service station. Or, after all the ripping, the mileage return. Too good, no?

Somehow missed your thread before, am glad that I found it now. Wish I had read it during my Civic purchasing time, it would have simply reinforced the decision. Also it is nice to see great looking highway near Calcutta. Must be a pleasure to drive. I have been away from my beloved Cal (not Kol) for far too many years and have not seen the newly constructed highways. Good, you have a great car to enjoy nice roads.

By the way, did you evolve the ICE? If yes, would like to know more about it. Another point I saw in may Civics is that the gear knob and power window switch holders loses the "matt silver" coating with usage. Are you seeing any such effects?

Last edited by dot : 25th December 2010 at 12:20.
Old 25th December 2010, 12:27   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, then he said they might need to open up the steering wheel and the airbag.
Why can't they simply dismantle the dashboard and assemble it back in. Trying to find the source sometimes seems futile but in dismantling/reasembling the rattles are mostly removed. If there is something in the steering rack, you would feel it on the steering while turning at speed on rough stretches. But you dont have any such syndrome. Airbags never rattle, they are always pressure packed.

BTW, my Ikon goes around 16 kmpl between home and Durgapur driven between 80-110.

Quote:
The bumpers are picking up too many scratches :( .. might need to go for a paint job soon.
Dont worry, Marengo's bumpers and running boards are picking up scratches too, a few were added yesterday trying to "conquer" a 2 feet diameter concrete cylinder. In the end the cylinder won, nostly because it was, well, round. Attempts to climb on it would set it rotating in opposite direction!! How clever!!
Old 26th December 2010, 12:19   #174
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
By the way, did you evolve the ICE?
Ok, saw your ICE thread. Silly me, missed that one also. Answered all my questions. I am planning a very similar setup, so this really helps. Thanks.
Old 26th December 2010, 17:03   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or, after all the ripping, the mileage return. Too good, no?
This I'm still marveling at ! Yes, the FE does drop when I revv beyond 6K, but for all practical purposes, one can make pretty rapid progress even when shifting between 3 to 4K. And FE is remarkable within this range.

Quote:
Also it is nice to see great looking highway near Calcutta. Must be a pleasure to drive.
It surely is. Though there are not too many other such roads around.

Quote:
the gear knob and power window switch holders loses the "matt silver" coating with usage. Are you seeing any such effects?
No such signs yet. It's actually the one aspect of the interiors that I do not really like. The matt silver stuff.

Quote:
Ok, saw your ICE thread. Silly me, missed that one also. Answered all my questions. I am planning a very similar setup, so this really helps. Thanks.
Thanks. Glad to be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Why can't they simply dismantle the dashboard and assemble it back in. Trying to find the source sometimes seems futile but in dismantling/reasembling the rattles are mostly removed.
Not too keen on them doing that either. The lesser the dismantling of stuff in Jap cars, the better !
Old 26th December 2010, 20:01   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The lesser the dismantling of stuff in Jap cars, the better !
That would probably be true on lesser Jap cars. But Civic, in my opinion, is a better built vehicle.
Old 26th December 2010, 20:50   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another point I saw in may Civics is that the gear knob and power window switch holders loses the "matt silver" coating with usage. Are you seeing any such effects?
I see this effect on the parking brake lever but not on the other two mentioned above. How much ever one tries to be careful while releasing the parking brake lever, this is not avoidable.

Last edited by rr_zen : 26th December 2010 at 20:52.
Old 27th December 2010, 14:34   #178
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This I'm still marveling at ! Yes, the FE does drop when I revv beyond 6K, but for all practical purposes, one can make pretty rapid progress even when shifting between 3 to 4K. And FE is remarkable within this range.
Me feels that at 3-4k rpm range, VTEC does the best job. For example in the City ZX, Vtec engine gave better power and mileage than the iDSI engine for a similar reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I see this effect on the parking brake lever but not on the other two mentioned above. How much ever one tries to be careful while releasing the parking brake lever, this is not avoidable.
Yes, the parking lever also loses the coating. Since I saw several 06-09 Civics during my purchase time, I saw this issue in almost every car. My car also has this effect in some tiny areas. Wonder what can be the cure, maybe a fresh coat of paint. Looks like Honda gave a coating without checking its long term weathering resistance. I showed the power window areas to Honda service and they applied a wrong shade of silver paint, which aggravated matters. To replace the parts, it can cost around two grand.

Last edited by dot : 27th December 2010 at 14:37.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:17   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I showed the power window areas to Honda service and they applied a wrong shade of silver paint, which aggravated matters. To replace the parts, it can cost around two grand.
Maybe a more permanent solution would be to have them leather wrapped at an accessory shop.
Old 27th December 2010, 18:55   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Me feels that at 3-4k rpm range, VTEC does the best job. For example in the City ZX, Vtec engine gave better power and mileage than the iDSI engine for a similar reason.
The VTEC is activated only after 5200 odd rpm so below that the engine would give better economy.

Most Viewed