Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 12:05   #226
BHPian

Re: ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Problem is I may have to go the Honda Assure way, if the workshop is so adamant about cashless.
The Honda dealer was adamant on select few insurers when I had first requested them a quote from TataAIG and gave all the crap that they dont provide cashless facility for TataAIG.
The moment I told them that I had a quote from TataAIG, they started competing with them and provided quotes for TataAIG and had no issues accepting that it will be cashless.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:58   #227
Senior - BHPian

I always take insurance from outside of dealer and none of the dealers have ever refused to provide cashless facility yet. This is just a trick from their side. Avoid them completely and go directly to insurance companies for the best deals. I am still surprised to see the high 20k+ quotes you guys have received for the first renewals. Did you take the first insurance from the dealer? That may be the reason why your new quote also is high.
Old 7th April 2011, 15:15   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I always take insurance from outside of dealer and none of the dealers have ever refused to provide cashless facility yet. This is just a trick from their side. Avoid them completely and go directly to insurance companies for the best deals. I am still surprised to see the high 20k+ quotes you guys have received for the first renewals. Did you take the first insurance from the dealer? That may be the reason why your new quote also is high.
The 20k quote in my case involves NCB protection and No depriciation add-on covers. Cost of these covers is 6320 before tax. Without these the premium would be 13.5K.
Old 18th April 2011, 16:41   #229
Senior - BHPian

I had quite a few interactions with the dealer on the insurance renewal. The last few over e-mail.

In one e-mail they have provided in writing, that cashless facility will be offered only for Honda Assure cover and have gone ahead mentioning specifically Tata-AIG, Reliance and ICICI cover will not get cashless facility !

ICICI Lombard sales rep calls me and says, 'Sir we have cars in the workshop right now which are getting cashless facility'.

What confusion !
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:04   #230
Senior - BHPian

Locked out !!

Got locked out of the car yesterday. My mistake ... this is what happened.

Was at a resort 65kms from home this weekend. Checked out at mid-day and was preparing to leave with family. I opened the boot with the key, without unlocking the car.

Loaded the luggage and then kept the key on the subwoofer, to arrange the bags. I often do this when I go shopping. This time the law of averages caught up. I was distracted and closed the boot. Bingo ! Key inside boot, car locked !

Had some friends around too. Options explored:
a) opened the window beadings and tried poking around to open the door. Nada.
b) call up Honda dealer customer care. They gave dealer helpline number. No answer (yesterday being May Day, the dealership was closed !!!)
c) Dealer customer care then gave Honda helpline. Very prompt.
'Sir, we are not authorised to open any Honda car !!!
What? What do I do then?
Sir, all we can do is send someone to break the driver side window.
What?!!! Incredible ! Why do I need to call you for that? I could do it myself !
Sir, that's all that can be done. Honda's are safe cars etc etc .. can't be opened.
You want me to believe that technically there is no way to open the car? Or are you quoting policy? Or are you not competent enough to open it?
Sir, it's not policy. It cannot be done. At least our mechanics cannot do it. Yes sir, we are not competent enough to do it !!!

That was it .. I called the dealer again and asked them to connect me to my trusted service advisor. He promptly responded on his holiday. Put me in touch with his mechanic. Mechanic says, it can be done. But very complicated. Says, the front right wheel has to be removed. Some lining opened up to gain access to the wiring. Power required from battery of another car. And then some way to short the wiring. Says 1.5 - 2hr job. And being a holiday it would take 3-4 hours to reach.

His advise, sir it's best if you could somehow get the duplicate key from home.

And hence we decided on option
d) Go home with a friend and return. So I went home with wife and kid. Got the duplicate key. Requested my driver to come down curtailing his holiday, drove the Baleno back (2 hr drive). And returned with both cars.

Lesson learnt. When going on a long drive (with other cars), it's a good idea to keep your duplicate key in another car's glove box !

Quote:
In one e-mail they have provided in writing, that cashless facility will be offered only for Honda Assure cover and have gone ahead mentioning specifically Tata-AIG, Reliance and ICICI cover will not get cashless facility !
Btw, went ahead and renewed with Honda Assure today. Rs. 23K
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:23   #231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Locked out !!

Quote:
Lesson learnt. When going on a long drive (with other cars), it's a good idea to keep your duplicate key in another car's glove box !
Not safe dada - what if the other car remains at home 65kms away from your car ? it is the same thing naa?

Better idea - keep spare key with wifey or, in your purse (if it can fit inside)

Did you get the camera from the other car?
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:32   #232
Senior - BHPian

Something similar happened to me last year, I was at my office in Gurgaon, which was about 46kms from my place. I took out some stuff from the cedia's boot and closed it without taking out the key. Called for a mechanic from local Maruti A.S.C. he tried but couldnt open the car using scale. He said, manual central locking can be opened with scale (swift vxi types). But opening a electronic central locking is difficult (sx4, grand vitara).

I had to leave my car in the office underground car park, which is a secured area and go back home in a cab. Next morning a colleague picked me up in her almost brand new alto and asked me to drive (long distances, girls dont like to drive). I was at naraina flyover with bumper to bumper traffic. And I saw an a4 in the opposite lane driven by a very beautiful gal. As all my attention was divered by the a4 and the lady in it, I bumped into an accent. The accent's paint came off, so I paid a grand to him, and then alto's headlight broke and bumper paint came off. So I paid another 1400 for alto headlamp and 1500 for painting the bumper. Since that day, I always carried my car's duplicate key in my wallet.

Another incident happened with my friend who went to jaipur in his fabia and left his car's key inside the car (car locked itself or something). He called Skoda A.S.C in Jaipur and they said, only way to open the car is to get duplicate key or break the glass. My friend asked them which glass was readily available with them and they had driver side rear glass. So he broke the glass, got the key and then went to Skoda A.S.C to get a new glass.

Best idea will be to break the small rear door glass (fixed one, there in both civic and cedia) and open the car. One can get it replaced and I am sure, it wont be very expensive either.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd May 2011 at 16:40.
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:26   #233
Senior - BHPian

What a (mis-)adventure, ShuvC! I'm glad that it worked out without breaking anything open etc.

I was on a week-long drive vacation to Goa this past week and about 100 km into the drive on the day we set out I remembered that I'd forgotten to "pack" the spare key in! I was just very careful with the key since that moment. The biggest scare was when we went to the beach with key still in pocket and unprotected by plastic. I was afraid that the water and especially the salt content in it would mess the electronics up, but thankfully all was OK.

It's very useful to carry the spare key on your person (somehow) when driving out of town.

Regards,
spadix
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:38   #234
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Locked out !!

Quote:
So I went home with wife and kid. Got the duplicate key. Requested my driver to come down curtailing his holiday, drove the Baleno back (2 hr drive). And returned with both cars.
Must have really pained you when this was really happening. But IMHO, this was the most sensible decision. Breaking car windows, liners are not only expensive but all the hassle of repairing them afterwords. Thank god, the place was 2 hours away. Imagine that you had gone to Siliguri and there this had happened.

Keeping the spare key in wallet while on a long drive seems to be the best fix for such a situation. Thanks for sharing, will keep in mind incase law of average catches up with me again (It had done so once, but that was in Santro and a steel scale did the trick).
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:58   #235
Senior - BHPian

@Planet, yes you are right. It could happen that the other car is at a distance - slim chances when the group travels together, but still.

Carrying it personally is probably a better option. And carrying it ideally in one's own pocket. For eg, if in this case I had given it to wifey then I would have been in a fix. Since she had put her handbag in the boot too !!

The bright side of it all was - asked the driver to move over to the passenger seat and I had a wonderful 2 hour drive in the Baleno! After more than a year. Quite enjoyed it.
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:14   #236
Senior - BHPian

Got the 4th service done yesterday. Almost a year old and @ 14200+ kms.

Total cost Rs. 2427

This included primarily oil change (mineral) and paid service charges. I insisted on a oil change although the service advisor said it's still not due since the last change was during the 3rd service at around 7K kms.

The horn pad was misfiring at times when pressed on the edges. This was rectified.

The front discs are a concern. Both have become uneven (circular bands). They did not want to polish it as it would reduce thickness. But said it's good to use still. I do not face any braking issues during normal driving. There's however some judder when braking from high speeds.

Apparently only the discs cannot be changed. The pads need to be changed too. Is this correct?

Both disc and pad sets are around 5K for a pair. So a 10-11K damage in case I decide to replace them.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:52   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Got the 4th service done yesterday. Almost a year old and @ 14200+ kms.

Total cost Rs. 2427

This included primarily oil change (mineral) and paid service charges. I insisted on a oil change although the service advisor said it's still not due since the last change was during the 3rd service at around 7K kms.

The horn pad was misfiring at times when pressed on the edges. This was rectified.

The front discs are a concern. Both have become uneven (circular bands). They did not want to polish it as it would reduce thickness. But said it's good to use still. I do not face any braking issues during normal driving. There's however some judder when braking from high speeds.

Apparently only the discs cannot be changed. The pads need to be changed too. Is this correct?

Both disc and pad sets are around 5K for a pair. So a 10-11K damage in case I decide to replace them.
I had read that if pads are not changed while discs are changed they will cause uneven wear on the new disc.

Could you please and approx breakup of the cost?
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:01   #238
Team-BHP Support

You can change the discs alone and there's no need to change the pads. To remove the uneven wear on the pads they just have to sand down the pads to level them.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:13   #239
Senior - BHPian

OMG, what a (mis)adventure! Sorry to hear.

Btw, Discs wearing out at 14k kms & under a year - shouldn't they be replacing under warranty? Or is that the average life of a Civic's discs?

Last edited by suman : 3rd May 2011 at 16:16.
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:22   #240
Senior - BHPian

It is a good learning. I am used to forgetting the keys inside my Santro. But I was always able to open the door using a foot scale.

In my civic when driving with family, I always ask my wife to carry the duplicate key in her hand bag. And ladies will never forget that anywhere.

Most Viewed