Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:40   #286
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updates @~16500kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I wish the metal wasn't exposed.
Yeah agree. Just to let you know, the other day went to mdsaab's and saw the old bent trunklid kept outside, open to the elements. In about two months it has already rusted; rust starting at portions where paint has gone and inner metal has been exposed. Not to scare or set panic, but this is monsoon time unfortunately. At least a color-less nail polish is a must.

Quote:

Ah, the things one has to do for one's career.
Tell me about it.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 01:17   #287
Senior - BHPian

Re: ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T

Frankly my primary concern is rust. I'm ok if a localised touch up job is visible as long as it protects the area.

As much as it pains me, the fact is that given Calcutta traffic the car is bound to pick up more such nicks .. in a way it's impractical to paint full panels everytime this happens. Currently both bumpers have scratches. I'll get them painted when they become significant.

Sadly ALL the scratches on the car till date have happened at speeds 0 to 2-3 kmph :(

@spadix, yes, 9kmpl would mean around 8.1 - 8.2 actual. I've normally seen a sub 10 to 10% difference.

Last edited by shuvc : 3rd September 2011 at 01:20.
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:41   #288
BHPian

That is true, given the traffic in Calcutta , one is bound to get minor nicks all over.

My car was parked on a wide road , and I come back to see that some body has scraped the bumper a lot. I will not get it repainted now and wait for more scratches.

I can feel how much it hurts when your car gets scratched for no fault of yours.
Old 17th September 2011, 01:36   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
As a first step, I was thinking of taking it to HASS and requesting my friendly Service Advisor to touch it up locally and then see the results.
And so I did just that after 3-4 days. He brought a bit of paint and a brush and started .. later I took over. I ended up with quite a bit of touch-ups on the bumpers too !

The touch up areas are obviously rough and visible from up close. But the scratches don't show up at a glance from a bit of a distance .. let alone from far away. This will have to do for now !

ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-touchup1.jpg
ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-touchup2.jpg
shuvc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 10:11   #290
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The touch up areas are obviously rough and visible from up close. But the scratches don't show up at a glance from a bit of a distance .. let alone from far away.
I agree. From the pictures, the touched up area is virtually indistinguishable. They have done a good job. Only the owner will know where to look as their eyes goes to those spots first.
Old 7th December 2011, 07:04   #291
Senior - BHPian

No updates on this thread for long time? Thanks for a wonderful and detailed ownership thread. Few questions

Whats up with that cabin filter thingy?
How bad the underbody scrapes have been? and any update on the Rattle

A wonderful car and engine. Loved the picture of the White car on Green grass on page 17 ( guess).
Old 11th December 2011, 01:25   #292
Senior - BHPian

5th / 20K Service completed on 8th Dec
Service cost: Rs. 3260

Car has run ~ 18250kms in 18 months.
Total service cost till date: Rs. 6906, which translates to 40paise/km

Nothing to report ! Did not have any complaints. So a routine 5th service was done. Rs. 1500 for service, rest for oil change. Decided to stick to mineral oil.

I asked for an air filter change. SA had a look and said it's not required. He got it cleaned.

This is truly a C segmenter in terms of routine maintenance costs. I had spent around Rs. 7500 for the first 5 services of the Baleno - 4-5 years back !!

Love jap cars .. touch wood !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
No updates on this thread for long time? Thanks for a wonderful and detailed ownership thread. Few questions

Whats up with that cabin filter thingy?
How bad the underbody scrapes have been? and any update on the Rattle
Missed your post !

The reason for no updates is .. well, as you can see above, there are no updates, lol !!

#1 The cabin filter does not come with the car. I got it from Amazon. Since I've been using it, the foul smell on AC startup after a gap of a few days seems to have disappeared. So far so good !

#2 GC has not been much of an issue for me. But then my car is lucky enough to travel on fairly decent roads most of the times. And 99% drivetime is with max 2 adults.

#3 Steering boss rattle is a lot less of late. The armrest does creak when I rest my left arm on it. But the creaks happen only in the default position. If the armrest is moved forward then all is quiet.

Last edited by shuvc : 11th December 2011 at 01:28.
Old 6th February 2012, 23:16   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
5th / 20K Service completed on 8th Dec
Service cost: Rs. 3260

Car has run ~ 18250kms in 18 months.
Total service cost till date: Rs. 6906, which translates to 40paise/km

Nothing to report ! Did not have any complaints. So a routine 5th service was done. Rs. 1500 for service, rest for oil change. Decided to stick to mineral oil.

I asked for an air filter change. SA had a look and said it's not required. He got it cleaned.
I was palpitating until I read that last line. My car's 20k kms service (done at Ring Road Honda, Gurgaon in Aug. '11) set me back by around 6.2k.

I am using synth (~1.5k extra over mineral), but that didn't explain the additional 1.5k and I got a bit worried.

The air filter change and the brake pad cleaning that I got done should account for that difference. I still have the old filter with me. Let me take a picture and post it on my thread or on the maintenance thread., just for reference.

Didn't you get wheel alignment and balancing done as part of the 20k service? I had them skip that as I had that done at the 17.5k (4.5th) service.

Regards,
spadix
Old 8th February 2012, 12:13   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was palpitating until I read that last line. My car's 20k kms service (done at Ring Road Honda, Gurgaon in Aug. '11) set me back by around 6.2k.

I am using synth (~1.5k extra over mineral), but that didn't explain the additional 1.5k and I got a bit worried.
Haha !
Synth I think costs around 2K more than mineral.

Quote:
Didn't you get wheel alignment and balancing done as part of the 20k service? I had them skip that as I had that done at the 17.5k (4.5th) service.
Nope. I never get wheel alignment jobs done at the workshop. Alignment and balancing was last done at around 15.5K kms. Car is inching towards 20K. Still a few hundred to go.

The things that keep bugging me, but have learnt to live with (as mentioned earlier too) :
- steering boss rattle (lesser than earlier)
- armrest rattle (in default position)

Pending stuff
- slightly uneven front discs (my laziness in not getting them faced !)
- The front left mud guard has a crack. Again laziness is a factor. Solutions are some sort of 'jugaad' or replacement. HASS quoted around Rs. 1100 (550 for the flap, 550 for painting).
- Polish. Long overdue.

At 19425.5 kms
Car has consumed 1730.1 litres of normal petrol
With an overall FE of 11.53 kmpl
With approx 50% AC usage
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:57   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quick update.

Been a satisfying couple of weeks, attending to pending stuff. However it began with me managing to knock off one of the chrome exhaust finishers :( ... must have happened when going through a seriously bad patch of road, extremely slowly. But did not hear it falling off.

Anyway, checked with @spadix. Around 2.5K for each !! Decided to check out the local used spare parts den (Mallick Bazar). Meanwhile spoke to my service advisor. He said 3K including labour et al !!! I told him I'll go the used way. He said he will check too. And lo !!! He arranged for a replacement. Damage? Rs.300. Clap clap !

Quote:
Pending stuff
- slightly uneven front discs (my laziness in not getting them faced !)
- The front left mud guard has a crack. Again laziness is a factor. Solutions are some sort of 'jugaad' or replacement. HASS quoted around Rs. 1100 (550 for the flap, 550 for painting).
- Polish. Long overdue.
Then followed the pending stuff. Got the car detailed. Took care of quite a lot of the minor scratches. Rear bumper looks good again.

Brake job next. Went to the dealership to put in a formal complaint. They took off the brakes. Took snaps, measured with vernier calipers etc and then sent in a report to Honda. Advise from them would come in a week I was told.

So I waited around. I waited for 10 days. Dealership kept checking. Apparently no word from Honda. The verbal word was that warranty replacement would not happen. At most they would advise on a disc facing with new pads and then observe. So I said, I will wait for the email to arrive and then act on it.

Meanwhile looking at the delay I registered a complaint at Honda one-on-one toll free number.

The next day the service manager (very helpful person), called me up asking me to bring the car. Discs and pads would be replaced !!!!! Wow !

So I went yesterday. And they were replaced ! Service manager and SA (not my regular guy) confirmed replacement with new discs/pads.

Yes. It sounds too good to be true. And I hate myself for still wondering, whether they actually replaced the set or got them polished or got them off some other car ... I mean, if I had paid for the same items, the thought may not have crossed my mind, even though all those possibilities could still be true !!

Oh, and while the car was up on the ramp the jugaad on the left front mudflap was done by the dealership.

Happy Happy !

E-mailed an appreciation to the service GM today.

The morning after the polish job.

ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-post-polish.jpg
Old 15th April 2012, 01:54   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The next day the service manager (very helpful person), called me up asking me to bring the car. Discs and pads would be replaced !!!!! Wow !
Car crossed 22K kms.

Tested the 'new' set last weekend during the T-BHP meet. Took the highway drive opportunity to brake test from all sorts of speeds - some of which cannot be mentioned here .. returned with alloys covered in brake dust !

The confidence in the brakes are back. They once again bite nice and smooth without any drama.
Old 17th July 2012, 00:04   #297
Senior - BHPian

6th Service @ 25K kms / 2 years

6th / 25K Service completed on 11th July
Service cost: Rs. 3442

Car has run ~ 25000kms in 26 months.
Total service cost till date: Rs. 10116, which translates to 40paise/km

My regular SA was on leave, so I was assigned someone else. And for the first time I had a below par experience. He was not at all proactive and did not get half the work done. All the while keeping me waiting. To top it all the left rear tyre had a sidewall cut and it chose to give up during the day.

No major complaints. I just listed out quite a few rattles to be taken care of.

- Steering boss once again (half done)
- LHS dash (not done)
- Armrest squeaks (not done - he got it done after I inspected)
- Driver window jerkiness when rolling down (not done - said it's there in all civics !! I proved him wrong. So then he says, will replace under warranty ! I wonder if he even opened up the door pad !)
- Oil change (Hopefully done !)
- Remove some tar marks that the bumper had picked up (Done)
- Polish away some marks on the LHS rear fender (Not done)

I was glad to just leave the workshop. Was there from 930am to almost 6 !!

On my way back I found two new issues.
- A slight spring release kind of a noise when braking at times. (This sound has gradually gone away over the last few days)
- Steering wheel going click click click when turned lock to lock at standstill.
Old 28th August 2012, 22:58   #298
Senior - BHPian

FE drive

I had posted in the Civic shoes thread that I recently switched to an odd tyre size. 225/60/15 C-Drives.

This weekend I took the opportunity of a NH-2 highway trip to test the FE if the car is driven at 'normal' smooth speeds.

So ..
- Covered 523kms
- 10% of it within city
- 100% AC
- Fat tyres (as mentioned above) with normal 30psi pressure
- Mostly 80-95kmph and below 2.5K rpm. I did speeds-that-cannot-be-mentioned-here for around 20kms only
- Drove smooth and steady and tried maintaining momentum

Topped up with 32litres.

Net FE - 16.3kmpl !

* I could have managed 17 surely, but for the high speed stint.
* The max I saw in the display was 19.1kmpl after 150kms.
* After the end of leg1 of the journey (with no high speed antics) the mid read 18.7kmpl for 216 odd kms !!
* I wonder what the FE would be in winters without AC and on OE tyre size !

I am honestly impressed !!!

ShuvCivic - Tafeta White VM/T-picsart_1342449593447.jpg

Last edited by shuvc : 28th August 2012 at 23:01.
Old 29th August 2012, 00:17   #299
Senior - BHPian

@shuvc - considering the wider 225 cross sections, the FE is great! I have got around 15 kmpl in 2400 kms I did from Bangalore to Delhi a few months back with the 205/65/15 PLC with AC on all time, with varying speed @ 100-140 kmph. In winter, I managed to pull up to 18 kmpl easily with sedate driving. Its been 3 yrs of ownerships and the car still surprises me
iTNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 22:44   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
In winter, I managed to pull up to 18 kmpl easily with sedate driving
I'll try out a FE drive this winter

Another observation about the tyres. I was testing high speed braking and each time it braked fine but with a squeal from the tyres. ABS however did not kick in. With the AVS db 550s I had earlier, I don't recall squeals, though ABS probably used to engage earlier.

Does this mean the C-Drives will squeal first before losing grip and handing over to the ABS?

Most Viewed