Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 11:18   #76
Senior - BHPian

Just spoke to Windshield Experts here in Bangalore, even they don't have stock of it. They will get back to me by next week on the time frame required to source the windshield. Their quote was a bit on the higher side (as compared to BCS), WE quoted me 5.9K for the replacement and fitting charges.

Lets see, waiting to the change the windshield ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
If no night driving is involved, then nothing to worry about... except if its rains hard.
There is a little bit of Night driving involved, but since most of it is going to in a 4 lane median separated highway I don't think there would be too much of problem.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from the 1100 Kms road trip to Munnar. Car performed brilliantly. The only grouse was the scratched windshield which caused a lot of heartache on the way back as I had to drive between 6PM-12AM.

The changed sparkplugs are showing their effect, the throttle response is a tad more peppy and mileage has taken a definite upward turn. Got the following mileage figures :-
  1. 18 Kmpl - 4 Lane highway, 80-110 Kmph cruising, 80% AC On
  2. 13.5 Kmpl - 4 Lane highway (30%), Single Lane Highway (30%), 2nd/3rd Gear Ghats ascending (60%) ,80% AC On
  3. 15.5 Kmpl - 4 Lane highway (30%), Single lane Highway (20%), Ghats descent (50%), 70% AC On
The 1.2 L motor does make the lack of torque quite apparent at times in the twisties, but on the plains it feels pretty adequate for the amount of braking it offers.

I think the Live to Drive stickers pisses a few people off when I overtake them, they take it as an open invitation to race. I don't have a sticker that says Live to Race
Old 6th July 2010, 13:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hey praful, suffering from a badly scratched windshield as well so am interested in seeing how things go for you. was planning to check at WE but will wait a bit and see how things go for you
Old 6th July 2010, 16:44   #79
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the pics? HeadLamp issue solved? W.E. can get rid of wiper marks / minor scratches. Did they take a look in person?
Old 6th July 2010, 18:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

hmmmm, I never managed more than 17.6 kmpl.. Seems the car is really in love with you
Old 6th July 2010, 21:42   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
hmmmm, I never managed more than 17.6 kmpl.. Seems the car is really in love with you
I managed 1km less. It is really difficult not to drive this car fast, so sprightly is the car. BTW, my car was also the same metallic silver as posted in most pics.
Old 7th July 2010, 01:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Got my windshield replaced today at Windshield Experts . AIS glass for 4.9k
Old 7th July 2010, 01:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Mr Praful, Did you get a secondopinion on the clutch defect?
From what I could gather from the posts your clutch does not have any serious issues except perhaps the spring issue discussed or the cable tightness.Your clutch is also not slipping as seen from the posts.
A clutch overhaul may open up some more expenditure like flywheel rings etc.
So I feel if you do not have long outstation drives for the time being clutch overhaul can wait.
Old 7th July 2010, 08:57   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Praful. That some good mileage with the 1.2

Damn, even I try to be sedate while driving. Invariably you will end up with speeds of 120-130 (speedo) on the 4 lane highways which will burn more fuel.

Do post your trip log.
Old 7th July 2010, 10:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
What happened to the pics? HeadLamp issue solved? W.E. can get rid of wiper marks / minor scratches. Did they take a look in person?
I got out of town for the weekend, so could not click pics of the headlamp.

Need to get in touch with BCS if they have managed to source the H/L assembly. Windshield will take sometime I'm sure.

I did not take it to W.E., the scratches are too many to be fixed. Its best that I just replace the glass. Waiting to get an update from W.E. as well regarding stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
LoL. Even I was shocked to see 18 that too with AC running. Need to do a proper mileage run sometime to see what is the max I can extract from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Got my windshield replaced today at Windshield Experts . AIS glass for 4.9k
They had stock, amazing. Bangalore W.E. did not have stock last week. Was it 4.9K inclusive of fitting charges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Mr Praful, Did you get a secondopinion on the clutch defect?
From what I could gather from the posts your clutch does not have any serious issues except perhaps the spring issue discussed or the cable tightness.Your clutch is also not slipping as seen from the posts.
A clutch overhaul may open up some more expenditure like flywheel rings etc.
So I feel if you do not have long outstation drives for the time being clutch overhaul can wait.
I took an second opinion at BCS itself regarding the clutch. I was told that there is definite need to replace the clutch assembly, but nothing very urgent. The clutch hardness will remain, and only in the situation that it gets harder or the pedal movement become erratic then only I need to go in for a replacement. And the clutch will last most probably another 10-30K depending on usage patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Praful. That some good mileage with the 1.2

Damn, even I try to be sedate while driving. Invariably you will end up with speeds of 120-130 (speedo) on the 4 lane highways which will burn more fuel.

Do post your trip log.
I'm rarely at 120+, usually just stick to 100-110. But the mileage increase is definitely after the change in plugs.

Trip log will take some time as I have huge backlog of pictures to be posted!
Old 7th July 2010, 15:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

4.95 all inclusive.. This was in Bangalore only. Go to the Madivala branch ASAP if you are looking to change since there is only one more piece left
Old 6th September 2010, 17:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quick Update

Silver Surfer has been lying parked for most part of the time in the last 45 days or so. All due to work/life commitments. Have hardly clocked 200 odd kms in these last few days.

So the Headlamp and windshield issue was forgotten for the time being. In the meantime a third issue has cropped up, a more killing issue.

A few days back I noticed the battery light come on whilst driving and I also noticed that the music system would shut off if I switched on high beam. Nothing happened on that drive, but the next time I took the car out it started fine. But once I had switched it off, it did not crank up. Luckily this happened close to a mechanic and I got the car jump started and managed to drive back home.

I assumed this to be a battery issue and was looking forward to replacing it anyway as it was over 5 years old. So I got the car jump started again and headed out to Bosch Car Service. By the time I reached there another problem had started, when I switch the ignition ON, the battery light would not come ON. They connected a tool and verified that the alternator was weak and unable to charge the battery. So it turns out that its a alternator issue and not a battery issue.

BCS said they will try to clean up the carbon deposits on the brushes and make this work, but sadly they were not able to achieve that as the RR unit and the brushes were shorting. So Alternator repair is out of the window for now. The only other option is Alternator replacement. BCS has said that they are getting varying quotes from the market from 8-9.5K. 9.5K being the most genuine Magnetti-Marelli piece available.

Any ideas? Any cheaper solutions?

One thing I've learned albeit the hard way, the first 5 years is the best time to own a car after that its just parts replaced here and there and a lot of empty pocket moments. :(
Old 6th September 2010, 17:39   #88
BHPian

Hello Praful,

Same is the case with me. Palio 1.6 Sport driven for 43K (in 4.5 years) kms after which the battery was not charging. Replaced the battery as it was 4.5 years and finally the alternator is not able to charge.

Got it repaired that costs around 5K (without taxes). Mine is a Bosch make.
Old 6th September 2010, 17:43   #89
Senior - BHPian

Why do I have a feeling a rat has been munching on some wires? Have wiring checked before opening the alternator. That alternator is an expensive piece of kit, don't touch it unless absolutely necessary.

I had a similar problem on the vtec, a single frayed wire brought down the legendary Honda. Also after that I found a rat sitting cosy on top of the warm engine of the GTX on a rainy day when I had gone down to start and run the engine for a bit.

Drifter
Old 7th September 2010, 00:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post

Got it repaired that costs around 5K (without taxes). Mine is a Bosch make.
Where did you get it repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Why do I have a feeling a rat has been munching on some wires? Have wiring checked before opening the alternator. That alternator is an expensive piece of kit, don't touch it unless absolutely necessary.

I had a similar problem on the vtec, a single frayed wire brought down the legendary Honda. Also after that I found a rat sitting cosy on top of the warm engine of the GTX on a rainy day when I had gone down to start and run the engine for a bit.

Drifter
Thanks will get this angle examined as well! 10K out of the blue was a shocker in an otherwise well running car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks