Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 14:28   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
This one is driving me nuts - isn't BSIV equivalent to Euro IV?
Quoting my post from the BSIV thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent questions. Before delving into stage IV, its important to remember that Bharat Stage I prompted the switch over (of Indian cars) from carburettors to fuel injection systems. And it was BS III that led to common-rail diesels becoming the norm! Emission norms are great news for the enthusiast too

Bharat stage IV is equivalent to Euro-IV emission norms (only difference is the speed that emissions are calculated at). We are atleast 5 years behind Europe when you consider that E-IV kicked in (in Europe) in 2005. Though, for a country that got serious about emission norms only in the mid-nineties, I'd say we are doing pretty well. The BS-IV will kick in from day after in about a dozen Indian cities, yet will apply to the entire country sometime in the future.

How do manufacturers comply with newer emissions regulations? Tweaking the engine (including ECU / mapping), more efficient combustion, a better catalytic converter etc. I bet that the 1.2 kappa (being a new gen engine) is E-IV compliant already, though I don't think the same of the ol' Santro motor. Note that that engines compromise their power delivery characteristics (e.g. Ritz doesn't have the punch of the Swift diesel) and may even lose a horse or two.
Quote:
If so, shouldn't all i20 cars ever manufactured be Euro / BS IV compliant already? What is the funda of this new "upgrade"?
I would certainly think so!
Old 13th May 2010, 18:53   #17
Team-BHP Support

A Question here:

How is the I20 Diesel in terms of power with 5 people, loaded boot and AC in full throttle?
Old 13th May 2010, 22:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Now since we do not have the Getz CRDi, the i20 CRDi has the best performance amongst current generation of Diesel hatchbacks. Performance is best in the class, though the turbo lag is more prominent due to taller gearing.
Old 14th May 2010, 05:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

I am OK if the 0-100 numbers come down. But it should not be left wanting for more power in the middle of the road either in the city or on the highway.

That is the only concern.
Old 14th May 2010, 17:55   #20
BHPian

Euro 4 Vs California emission norms

Quote:
Quoting my post from the BSIV thread:
GTO,

How would the Euro 4 / Euro 5 (to be enforced) norms compare with that of the California emission norms for cars? Which is the more stricter one?

Nikhil
Old 15th May 2010, 20:14   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is the I20 Diesel in terms of power with 5 people, loaded boot and AC in full throttle?
It's the quickest diesel hatchback there is in India. Except for the turbolag (which I got used to driving around in a couple of kms), it'll transport those 5 people faster than any other currently sold common-rail hatch. Tell you what : If there is a lot of interest in the i20 CRDi 6 speed, I'll run a GTO-style test report on it. Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
GTO,

How would the Euro 4 / Euro 5 (to be enforced) norms compare with that of the California emission norms for cars? Which is the more stricter one?

Nikhil
Don't have the stats, yet I'm willing to bet that its California. CA state has such strict laws that they sent manufacturers back to the R&D to find newer ways in lowering emissions.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2010 at 20:15.
Old 16th May 2010, 00:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If there is a lot of interest in the i20 CRDi 6 speed, I'll run a GTO-style test report on it. Cool?
Yes Sir, We need a GTO style i20 CRDi Report, To Prove:
  • It has the best engine in the segment
  • The Steering is really bad
Old 17th May 2010, 17:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's the quickest diesel hatchback there is in India. Except for the turbolag (which I got used to driving around in a couple of kms), it'll transport those 5 people faster than any other currently sold common-rail hatch. Tell you what : If there is a lot of interest in the i20 CRDi 6 speed, I'll run a GTO-style test report on it. Cool?

Don't have the stats, yet I'm willing to bet that its California. CA state has such strict laws that they sent manufacturers back to the R&D to find newer ways in lowering emissions.
Go ahead and run a GTO style test report, I am requesting you!
Old 17th May 2010, 18:07   #24
BHPian

Hey,there is no petrol i20 GTO style review either as far as i searched.so how about delighting us with a combo?
Old 17th May 2010, 18:09   #25
BHPian

Yes GTO sir, that would be fantastic !! Looking at the current trend, There will be super competition between the Punto Sportz and I20 6 speed. Very very interesting indeed !!
Old 17th May 2010, 18:18   #26
BHPian

Frankly dont expect punto "sportz" to match acceleration of I20 though dynamics may be better.
Can anyone please post 0-100 of 6 geared i20?
Old 17th May 2010, 22:14   #27
BHPian

This forum begs a GTO-style test report on the Hyundai i20 CRDi. Please do the honors, GTO.
Old 17th May 2010, 22:19   #28
BHPian

+1 to GTO. I love the 6th gear too!
Old 18th May 2010, 09:52   #29
superveloce

Please GTO, give us your expert review. I am also confused and need a clear the air unbiased professional review.

Old 18th May 2010, 10:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
GTO,

Nikhil
In california, they have same standards for petrol and diesel passenger cars. So it is much stricter. The blue motion, clean diesel technologies that manufacturers are implementing is after they got the CA kick, not euro.

Coming to the topic of backdoor entry to satisfy the emission norms, most cars that are certified in Europe also adhere to norms during the standard cycle. Just put some load and emissions go through the roof. Still its better I guess. There was a test conducted by Autoexpress on which measured the real world emissions and they were off by a big margin.

Last edited by srishiva : 18th May 2010 at 10:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks