Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 11:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a great car. Now that you own both a Civic AT and this, would like you to give a detailed comparison of both cars in terms of ride quality, driveability, equipment levels, feel good factor etc. What about WAF (wife acceptance factor)?

Last edited by vasoo : 20th May 2010 at 11:46.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:20   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Congrats on a great car. Now that you own both a Civic AT and this, would like you to give a detailed comparison of both cars in terms of ride quality, driveability, equipment levels, feel good factor etc. What about WAF (wife acceptance factor)?
I shall add that to my to-do list.

1. Add pics of engine bay and boot.
2. Compare Civic AT with Jetta MT

By the way, while in Yercaud last weekend, I noticed that Jetta had a feature that the Merc M-Class has. When on an upward slope, I am in 1st gear with clutch engaged and brake pedal fully pressed at stand still, when I take my foot off the brake pedal to press the accelerator, the car doesn't roll back. The brake is automatically held for a couple of seconds to give you time to shift your foot to the accelerator. I didn't expect this feature in a manual transmission car. I was pleasantly surprised and patted myself again for choosing this car.

Guys, I have one major doubt. I know that from April 1 2010, 13 major cities have shifted to BS4 fuel and hence the 1 rupee premium that you pay per litre. On the same deadline, all other cities and towns should have shifted to BS3 fuel. But the deadline has been extended to September 30,2010. So when I go on trips out of Chennai I am sceptical if I can fill with BS2 fuel. Last weekend, I managed to squeeze out 800+km and return to Chennai to tank up with BS4 fuel. I didn't want to take a risk. I have to make a trip to tiruchengode near Salem next week, and I don't wanna risk running empty when I return. So what do you guys suggest, carry a 50-litre can from Chennai itself and stuff it in the boot or 10 litres of BS2 fuel will not do any harm?
Old 21st May 2010, 19:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
The combination of all trips from tankful to tankful was calculated by self to be 15kpl.
Thanks. When you get a chance to compare the actual and the meter in a long distance trip, do update about the accuracy!
Old 24th May 2010, 11:42   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Thanks. When you get a chance to compare the actual and the meter in a long distance trip, do update about the accuracy!
I shall do that on my next outstation trip. Cos when I am in the city, the driver drives it rarely and I may not be able to note it accurately.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
I shall do that on my next outstation trip. Cos when I am in the city, the driver drives it rarely and I may not be able to note it accurately.
Thanks in advance.

You can do it when it is convenient. Just to see how accurate these readings are!
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:00   #51
BHPian

Headlights

I find that the headlights on the highway are a joke. Or rather everyone else is having very powerful lights and I am having legally correct Wattage but it doesn't help. I have to slow down to speeds less than 100kmph whenever any vehicle comes in the opposite direction on 2-lane no-median highways.

I am looking to upgrade my headlights. When I called Haute Car Zone here in Chennai, I was given two options. You can put 100/90 or install a HID kit both from Philips. The question which comes to my mind is, Jetta has individual lights for low and high beam. So it cannot be a 100/90 right? What should I be asking for here? Is there a way I can keep the wattage the same and the light more powerful? I've heard of something like the Philips CrystalVision or SilverVision which does not require and cut-outs or relays and there is no need to touch the wiring harness. Anybody can throw light on this? Many cars have independent beams rite? Like fiesta, corolla etc..
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:44   #52
BHPian

Hi Deepak,

The car looks very good, IMO I like the steering very much
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:50   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I find that the headlights on the highway are a joke. Or rather everyone else is having very powerful lights and I am having legally correct Wattage but it doesn't help. I have to slow down to speeds less than 100kmph whenever any vehicle comes in the opposite direction on 2-lane no-median highways.

I am looking to upgrade my headlights. When I called Haute Car Zone here in Chennai, I was given two options. You can put 100/90 or install a HID kit both from Philips. The question which comes to my mind is, Jetta has individual lights for low and high beam. So it cannot be a 100/90 right? What should I be asking for here? Is there a way I can keep the wattage the same and the light more powerful? I've heard of something like the Philips CrystalVision or SilverVision which does not require and cut-outs or relays and there is no need to touch the wiring harness. Anybody can throw light on this? Many cars have independent beams rite? Like fiesta, corolla etc..
i would suggest you get HIDs in only the low beam and not in the high beam because HIDs take time to warm up, and we use the high beam more for flashing than anything, so HIDs wont make sense. also HIDs are 35w so they are less powerful than your stock headlamps.
the philips crystalvision dont really give anymore light than stock, they are just for looks.
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:08   #54
BANNED

Quote:

Why dont you get a opinion from some good Garage for this ? or try tecnokrat

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...t-chennai.html

I should be frank in giving the comment on Jetta. I just used to hate its looks and used to tell my friends that its another Indigo.

But after seeing the pic of the interiors now i changed my mind,Jetta is just fantastic,The Quality and Fit and finish is just outstanding like a merc

Congrats Man !!
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Hi Deepak,

The car looks very good, IMO I like the steering very much
Thank you. I love the steering too. Except the fact that the phone bluetooth kit could've been integrated and sold with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i would suggest you get HIDs in only the low beam and not in the high beam because HIDs take time to warm up, and we use the high beam more for flashing than anything, so HIDs wont make sense. also HIDs are 35w so they are less powerful than your stock headlamps.
the philips crystalvision dont really give anymore light than stock, they are just for looks.
I understand that HIDs are less powerful than my stock. But they light up better right? Otherwise, what's the use in going for it after paying so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Why dont you get a opinion from some good Garage for this ? or try tecnokrat

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...t-chennai.html

I should be frank in giving the comment on Jetta. I just used to hate its looks and used to tell my friends that its another Indigo.

But after seeing the pic of the interiors now i changed my mind,Jetta is just fantastic,The Quality and Fit and finish is just outstanding like a merc

Congrats Man !!
I read about Technokrat. It is a little too far for me. I tried calling Haute Car Zone which is near my office and from the phone call, they didn't seem very competent.

When I chose the car also, I didn't like the exteriors that much. I bought it for VW, the interiors, the engine, the suspension. Later the exteriors grew on me. Now even my friends who were against its looks when I bought it, appreciate my decision.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:16   #56
BHPian

Congrats on the Jetta and welcome to the club.
I have a 1.9TDI Comfortline with the DSG and simply love the comfort and the imperceptible gear changes in the auto.
Plan to use the paddle shifts for the Bombay-Poona megameet to Lonavla.

Re. your headlights, do give an update once you decide and experience the difference at first hand. I have not found the headlight illumination a problem so far, although you are right when you say that most cars have brighter lights, which dazzle you at night.

Regards and happy ( and safe) driving.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:22   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I understand that HIDs are less powerful than my stock. But they light up better right? Otherwise, what's the use in going for it after paying so much.
yes they will give you at least twice the amount of brightness are stock headlamps.
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:05   #58
BHPian

6000km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
yes they will give you at least twice the amount of brightness are stock headlamps.
Thanks for the clarification. I will be going in for the HIDs then. I will talk to Tecknokrat too before making a decision.

Then here comes the major update since the opening of the thread. I have completed 6000km in exactly 60 days. This has included many trips within Tamilnadu to attend weddings of friends. Almost half my class (collegemates) got married in the months of May and June.

Last week I had to attend a conference in Kodaikanal. I did around 1k in 2 days. During that trip, the Trichy-Dindugal stretch 4 laning was under progress. Onward journey during day, no problem. Return after sunset, so I couldn't judge some bumps and diversions well. One bump was totally unavoidable, something like a concrete over a passing small waterway covered with tar road. Before and after that concrete was a trough. I was at about 80kmph, slowed down to 50 just in time, but still I heard the front bumper scrape the bottom. Stopped in another 10 minutes at a local hotel for a smoke break when I literally lay flat on the ground to check its underbody. Just a small brush over the blackened engine protector (nothing major). From the magnitude of the thud I heard, I thought something must be broken. Now I understand those rhino ads by VW for the Polo. Their cars are really built tough. Breathed a sigh of relief and continued on my onward journey to Chennai. Tried using Cruise control @ 120kmph. It was the correct speed to drive at night on proper 4 - lane median separated highway. But it tended to put me to sleep and the no. of times I had to brake everytime there was a heavy vehicle in front. But it was bliss. After braking just click the + or - button and it returns to 120kmph. I decided to go without cruise control in order to keep myself alert.

Overall it has been a very smooth and pleasurable experience. The showroom guy had asked me to visit the workshop once at 7.5k kms although the first service is only at 15k kms to get the oil levels checked and topped up if at all necessary. I am planning to change the headlights asap cos I believe had I had them already, even this little brush on the underbody protection wouldn't have happened. Was really kicking myself why I hadn't changed it earlier as I already knew the lights weren't that powerful. But some lessons are learnt the hard way. I am still thinking of the Bluetooth kit. It is not only that it costs too much, but also the fact that it costs more than both my mobile phones put together.
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:45   #59
BHPian

import the bluetooth kit from the UK - if friends travel there and there is another option as well!

pm me if you need help
Old 6th July 2010, 15:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Congrats on the Jetta and welcome to the club.
I have a 1.9TDI Comfortline with the DSG and simply love the comfort and the imperceptible gear changes in the auto.
Plan to use the paddle shifts for the Bombay-Poona megameet to Lonavla.

Re. your headlights, do give an update once you decide and experience the difference at first hand. I have not found the headlight illumination a problem so far, although you are right when you say that most cars have brighter lights, which dazzle you at night.

Regards and happy ( and safe) driving.
Ya. It is not our headlights that is the problem. It is because of the dazzling headlights that others use. At least if I am not flashing back at them, I need at least the road ahead of me well illuminated when the opposite lights are almost blinding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
import the bluetooth kit from the UK - if friends travel there and there is another option as well!

pm me if you need help
I am pm'ing you right now. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks