Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 19:59   #1
BHPian

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*

Most of my pre-booking discussions have happened in this thread Jetta 1.9, Cruze 2.0, Sonata Transform 2.0 , Laura 1.9 - Need Help!! so I would like to not repeat the same here. To make a long story short, I had narrowed down my choices to the Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 VCDi, VW Jetta 1.9TDi Trendline and the Hyundai Sonata Transform 2.0 CRDi budget being Rs.15 lakh.

Started test drives in November 2009. Finalized the car around February 2010. Thanks to TBHP, I found out from a prospective Laura buyer that the 1.9TDi Pumpe-Duse engines were being discontinued as they were not willing to upgrade it to Euro4 and the new engine would be a CRDi 2.0. On hearing this, I was excited and decided to wait. Pulled some strings and spoke to some higher officials in VW and confirmed the news on the promise that I won't let out the news until the vehicle arrives. Anyways the news was out on TBHP so that wasn't an issue.

Initially I had chosen the Trendline for want of an MT. I already have an AT Civic and it is kinda boring to drive on highways. But on finding out that the DSG box is discontinued and the Comfortline would be available as an MT, I jumped at the idea, upped the budget a little bit and went straight with the cheque on April 1, 2010 to book the car at VW Chennai. As always the showroom welcome is very warm and having developed a personal rapport with the GM there, it was always royal treatment whenever I went to the showroom. I made the payment for the Trendline as booking amount as on that date, they didn't know the final pricing for the Euro4 cars. GM had promised delivery latest by April 18th.

On April 16th, I had called to ask about the status of the car and to make the remaining payment. To my horror, they said the Test car has arrived now only and they had sent it for RTO approval and that itself would take another 2-3 days. And they had got only black and white in the first lot. I was kinda furious as I had made the booking well in advance, before they could even dispatch anything from the factory and I was told I would be getting the first car in Chennai. Which means the first lot should have had my color The Heaven Blue. Then there were some stories that they had no control over the initial lot and this only was available at the factory etc. Finally on April 22, the GM personally called me and told that the heaven blue comfortline has been invoiced and they would be getting it in a week. Delivery was now promised on April 30th.

But they had received the vehicle only on April 30th morning. So could not be sent for RTO the same day. I insisted on visiting their yard and checking out the car, so went to their Ambattur workshop and did so. Checked out a couple of Touaregs there, the new Passat and a customer taking delivery of a bright red Polo. The workshop was spic and span and very neatly maintained. Couldn't check out much as the PDI wasn't done and even the white sheets stuck on the body from the factory weren't removed.

Meanwhile on May 3rd, went and booked a special number with the RTO Chennai West. The car was registered the same day. Delivery was scheduled at 6pm. Went to the showroom along with my wife. Did a mini PDI not the whole list on the PDI-TBHP list. Listened to the Team Lead's explanation of most of the features and a mini-puja was done and the keys handover.

Overall, except for the delivery delays, the sales process was smooth. I should've been mentally prepared for a one month waiting period. But I guess in the end it is all okay. There were no freebies except a box of Cadbury celebrations. All the floor mats, boot mats, everything were from the factory. There was absolutely no need to do anything to the car. I am planning to put some 3M tints soon. Will need to check up on the relevant threads here before deciding on one.

So far, have done 700km in a week. During delivery went straight to a tankful. Today was the next. The average was 16kmpl with full time A/c on (mixed highway + city 50-50). Which is really not bad compared to the ARAI test mileage of 19.5kmpl and that too a brand new car. Which itself convinced me that I have got a brilliant piece from the factory. The pull after 1.5k rpm is very addictive. I have been shifting at 2.25k rpm though at times I shift at 2.5k rpm if I need to overtake in a hurry. I have hit a max of 116kmph which is the speed it cruises at 2k rpm in 5th gear.

I have taken some pics in my wife's phone camera which I will upload tonight. So I guess in case you reading this now, you will need to revisit the thread in case you do not find the photos already.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:41   #2
A.R
BHPian

Congrats on buying a great Car!!! How much did the OTR come to? And how is VW service in Chennai?

Awaiting pics ....
Old 10th May 2010, 20:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

The VW Jetta is a great car and with the new diesel engine it's probably a great drive too! The gearshift is fantastic and it's precise action really makes you feel like shifting more than necessary

Can't wait for the pics!
Old 10th May 2010, 22:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Excellent car. Congratulations !

Just does not feel like a diesel once inside. NVH levels are very good. The Comfortline steering is sooooo nice to hold.

Enjoy !!!!
Old 10th May 2010, 22:19   #5
oss
BHPian

Congrats man. I think you are the first own Jetta CRDi in T-BHP.

How is the drive - city & highway. Do post your detailed initial drive experience and some good snaps of interiors.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:56   #6
BHPian

Pics

Pardon the quality of pictures. Taken with my phone cam. Have taken a couple of pics from the outside as well will put them in my next post.
Attached Thumbnails
My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010031.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010032.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010033.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010034.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010035.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010036.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010037.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010038.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010039.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010040.jpg  

Old 10th May 2010, 23:04   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your new car, waiting for better pics.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:12   #8
BHPian

More pics

Once I go on my first outing to attend a marriage by this month end with friends I will take some more pictures and put it up here. Have been busy with work lately.
Attached Thumbnails
My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010041.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010042t.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010043.jpg  

My new 2.0L CR TDi Jetta Comfortline - 75,000 km *UPDATE*-09052010044t.jpg  

deepakchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2010, 23:13   #9
oss
BHPian

Awesome. Steering mounted controls seem to be a new addition in the CRDi version. Does it have a rear armrest? If i remember correctly the PD Comfortline version didn't have them - quite strange!!
Old 10th May 2010, 23:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Congrats man. I think you are the first own Jetta CRDi in T-BHP.

How is the drive - city & highway. Do post your detailed initial drive experience and some good snaps of interiors.
Thanks. I was just wishing I was the first on tbhp to write a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Excellent car. Congratulations !

Just does not feel like a diesel once inside. NVH levels are very good. The Comfortline steering is sooooo nice to hold.

Enjoy !!!!
Under 1.5k rpm it is really hard to say it is a diesel. Above that the noise can be heard. The NVH levels are top notch. Apart from the engine sound, nothing from the outside enters the cabin. The A/c at 23 chills sufficiently for the 43 degree humid weather of chennai that too without sun film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Congrats!

The VW Jetta is a great car and with the new diesel engine it's probably a great drive too! The gearshift is fantastic and it's precise action really makes you feel like shifting more than necessary

Can't wait for the pics!
The pics are up though only from my mobile phone. It IS a great drive indeed. The gearshift as you said is slick and precise. Slots in no time. I can go from 0 to 100 as quick as a DSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Congrats on buying a great Car!!! How much did the OTR come to? And how is VW service in Chennai?

Awaiting pics ....
Thanks a.r. The OTR was 17.86L. I just visited their workshop. So I won't be able to comment on their service yet. The appearance and welcome was good. So the first P (Presentation) - Result: Pass.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Jetta is the best choice in that segment. Does the music system have a touch screen interface? Awaiting more pics.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Nice... Very Nice!

116 @ 2KRPM @ 5th Gear is Really great to hear. Now that is some machine to cruise on a highway.

Some basic questions:

- How are the suspensions? Any bottom scraping?
- How much was the OTR?
- Did you need to buy any thing (accessories) more than what they offered?
- Did you feel it is worth buying a Comfortline compared to a Trendline?
If yes, what tilted the decision?

Once again congrats on the new purchase. I have been mulling for a longtime on a good diesel to upgrade. After hearing the recent news (I should say scoop), I am waiting for the Altis diesel. Need to see how one fares against the other.

Congrats once again.
Old 11th May 2010, 00:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics, the car looks great! Nice interiors too (dials elude German classiness)!

How customisable is the stereo in terms of equalizer settings and stuff?
Also how good is the rear seat space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
The pics are up though only from my mobile phone. It IS a great drive indeed. The gearshift as you said is slick and precise. Slots in no time. I can go from 0 to 100 as quick as a DSG.
Yep! I'd love to buy the car for it's super-sweet gearshift itself

PS: I like Hosanna too

Last edited by anekho : 11th May 2010 at 00:32.
Old 11th May 2010, 04:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice car. Does comfortline come with 2-tone beige-black??
Old 11th May 2010, 05:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nice car. Does comfortline come with 2-tone beige-black??
It depends on the outside colour. If you go for black then you get two tone beige and black.

If you go for grey or maroon or silver you get the grey interiors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks