Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 22:23   #196
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats sam on nice car . BTW you got a green land lover right .What happened to that ?
Old 14th May 2010, 22:58   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It is a basic question.

What do I need it for and what do I need from it.

Sam - as usual a standing ovation for a brilliant , honest, soul searching thread starting with the fundamental first principles as it were.

A car is meant to take you from point A to point B - check.
Car for car - you want more car per rupees - check.
if you are paying 20L + for a car - it better be a luxury sofa on wheels, and the sofa (and wheels) better perform at least for a few years - check.
and finally
your luxury sofa on wheels cannot be trusted with just about anybody, least of all the unscrupulous car dealers - check.

wishing you many many years of happy riding !!!
Old 14th May 2010, 23:22   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I wasn't in the audio business, I might even have been rather pleased with the audio system.
Sam there is a whole section on TBHP devoted to members who are NOT part of the audio business but are rarely pleased with any OEM audio system.

That said all the EU cars I have used in India have had quite lisetable OEM stereos. The OPEL Astra, Corsa Sail, Skoda Octy, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
And these 10 speakers are all powered by the HU alone? That's impressive.
Skoda counts each tweeter and woofer as a seperate speaker. Lets see...if we counted speakers liek Skoda does Bhagwan and LBM would have umm...about 30 speakers in each of their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Are you thinking about changing the system?
Oh yes! ...and I intend changing it back!
Old 15th May 2010, 00:09   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Skoda counts each tweeter and woofer as a seperate speaker. Lets see...if we counted speakers liek Skoda does Bhagwan and LBM would have umm...about 30 speakers in each of their cars.
The Superb has 3 way components up front and 2 way components at the back. So if you count each driver it comes to 10.

I agree with you that the superb has a very good OS system. It's one of the best I have heard.

After reading your thread I am getting buyer's remorse as my dad wanted only this car but I managed to convince him otherwise due to A.S.S. and maintenance.
Old 15th May 2010, 01:42   #200
BHPian

God i have never been this badly addicted to reading a piece of literature!!
No novel,No auto mag ,no newspaper..leave alone my course books..i have never ever felt such an urge to read more of any ones writings!!..
Trust me sam you should become an authour .Start witing novels or something...I bet you will have a hard time couting your royalty
Old 15th May 2010, 10:34   #201
Team-BHP Support

Nice reading for a lazy Saturday morning. Just finished reading all the 14 pages.
Maybe its coming in a while - but did you get the 1.8 TSI, or the V6?
Old 15th May 2010, 11:47   #202
BHPian

Quote:
You can see his glee for yourself
Certainly he has acquired some serious attitude behind the wheel of your beloved Skoda. Surely both of you are enjoying the Superb thoroughly.
The best thing which I liked about your writing style is that its slightly non T-BHPish. It cuts out all the trivia regarding engine, transmission, suspension, etc. and emphasizes more on gizmos, techno wizardry and other such indulging stuff. Kudos!!!
Old 15th May 2010, 13:01   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam, on behalf of your innumerable fans, may I very politely insist that you stop dishing out homeopathic doses of the story, and ladle out the stuff in "pagefuls" over the weekend?

And if polite requests don't cut ice, would veiled threats work? Like "The Lord Above shall make you wait for Skoda to deliver your Superb to you after every service, for as long a time as you make your friends & fans at t-bhp wait for your story" ? Maybe coupled with "The Lord Shall make your service experience with Skoda as short and pleasant as your appointment with your barber, if the story is completed this weekend" ??

Heck, we don't even know if you got the do silencer wali or chaar silencer wali Superb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
...did you get the 1.8 TSI, or the V6?
You paid 22L for a Skoda brolly.Did you perchance part with 4L of loose change for a couple of extra silencers to make Akbar really happy?
Quote:
You can see his glee for yourself
I can visualise that glee on your face too, reading this...
Old 15th May 2010, 13:21   #204
BHPian

So Sam will we see an upgrade of the stock speakers, amp and maybe even an MS8?

Last edited by pranava999 : 15th May 2010 at 13:22.
Old 15th May 2010, 13:49   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Before I continue my review, I'd like to state again for the record - I got the petrol Skoda 1.8 BHTNBXi Automatic DSG with the works. SO that will set the record state, it has 2 silencers.

I have been reading around the forum about people complaining about the air conditioning on the superb.
Here is my review of the AC.

It's lovely.

In the front it has the normal vents, nothing out of place or extraordinary. In the rear it has 2 AC vents that are beautifully placed on the B Pillar.

The YetiŽ writes a car story - (and review of Skoda Superb)-dsc_6825t_l.jpg

In auto climatronic something mode, when you enter the car, the fan is just too fast and too loud. Usually the Superb is super silent on the inside and this fan is a bit jarring.
When I sit in the car and the auto ac switches on, I reach into the controls and lower the fan a few notches. It's too much (hair bloody flying all over the place) and too loud.

Another strange thing is that in auto mode, air comes out from everywhere, even the defrost apertures on top of the dashboard. While this doesn't bother me, because of the heat and humidity in Mumbai, it causes condensation patches on the outside of the windshield.

Similarly, the front left and right holes for the AC, if slightly angled cause condensation patches on the left and right front glass. I hate that.

Both the front and rear are cooled sufficiently. It is more than sufficient for me.

Perhaps this requires additional explanation. I never drive without the AC on, I find the outside too dusty and noisy. However I like the inside of my car to be at 23 or 24 degrees, not freezing.
I used to keep my thermostat controls (on my previous cars) at about 9'oclock on the dial. Unlike every typical Indian car whose airconditioning is either as low as it can go (If they could turn it even further left, they would) or off.

I also like the sun shining into my car and I'm not a big fan of films. In the evening on my way home, I usually have to turn the AC temperature up, or I'm cold.

Coming back to the Skoda Superb, there is no basic thermostat control as it has this climatronic crap. Of course it has all this dual ac mode and all that whatever you expect from a high end automotive AC.

By day in the hot summer of Mumbai, I find that a setting of 22 or 23 degrees is sufficient for me. The Aircon takes 5 minutes to cool down the car and stays nice and cold all the way to my office.
I have no film, nothing. Sometimes I keep the sun roof open (open to light, not to air) so I get some more sun into the car. I like that. I do it if I'm in a good mood, not always.

The rear has sunshades which I use if the sun is burning my arm, otherwise that stays down too.

By evening I have to set the temperature to 24 degrees, or I feel cold with the 22.

The AC is strong and efficient and more than meets my needs. I have no complaint against it.

Maybe Skoda has improved the airconditioning on the Superb (as I was told by someone), or what they have meets my standards. I am happy with it.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th May 2010 at 19:33. Reason: Merged the photo post with original post
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2010, 14:07   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I have no film, nothing. Sometimes I keep the sun roof open (open to light, not to air) so I get some more sun into the car. I like that. I do it if I'm in a good mood, not always.
Sam, please have a look at the CR(Ceramic) series or the RE(metallic series) from 3M.
You have maximum Visual light transmission but without the UV and a good part of the heat.
You can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 15th May 2010, 14:25   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Sam, please have a look at the CR(Ceramic) series or the RE(metallic series) from 3M.
You have maximum Visual light transmission but without the UV and a good part of the heat.
You can have your cake and eat it too.
Why Nitrous?
Quote:
Both the front and rear are cooled sufficiently. It is more than sufficient for me.
I'm happy. When I'm unhappy I'll use sun film. If it was imperative, it would have come with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
So Sam will we see an upgrade of the stock speakers, amp and maybe even an MS8?
Ah. A good catch there Pranava. Yes, second car in India to feature a fully operational MS-8. (The first was the Powernano). This car will indeed feature an MS-8 and an Infinity Basslink. But the stock speakers will stay.

More detail in the right section, not here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Oh yes! ...and I intend changing it back!
I need to opt for some kind of high-security device to keep Mr. Navin Advani away from my MS-8.

By the way guys, I am unable to upload any photos on Team-BHP today. I'm not so sure if it makes sense for me to post my review sans photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

After reading your thread I am getting buyer's remorse as my dad wanted only this car but I managed to convince him otherwise

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th May 2010 at 14:28.
Old 15th May 2010, 14:35   #208
BHPian

@SAM - Will eagerly wait for the MS8 thread on the other section. Please don't make us wait, we so wanna see the MS Late...oops 8
Also maybe a few wip pics of the ice upgrades.
Old 15th May 2010, 17:57   #209
BHPian

Waiting for the next installment !!

Hi Sam, please post the next update/installment to this blockbuster of a review.... Its close to 20 Hours since your last post. Waiting to read your detailed experience about your first ride in the Superb.
Love the excitement and fervor expressed in your descriptions of various incedents and experiences. Keep them coming....
Old 15th May 2010, 19:13   #210
BHPian

Good, now I have a Vent, an umbrella & a curtain to show to people when they brag about their modded sedans, often proclaiming their ride to be better than Luxury sedans. Your article has started the itch to trade the SX4 for a Skoda.

Sam, you sure are responsible for milking our wallets dry. First the ICE threads and now the Substrate(Car) interests you.

Cheers!

Last edited by JustCause : 15th May 2010 at 19:15.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks