Team-BHP - Figo TDCi Titanium Vs Punto MJD Emotion Pack - 2 Diesel cars, 1 buyer - Tough Choice
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Figo TDCi Titanium Vs Punto MJD Emotion Pack - 2 Diesel cars, 1 buyer - Tough Choice (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/81251-figo-tdci-titanium-vs-punto-mjd-emotion-pack-2-diesel-cars-1-buyer-tough-choice-3.html)

amazing review i must say. i couldn't afford to skip reading even a single line of your thoughts. Well, you made me to start thinking crazy about PUNTO now lol:. ENjoy your new car and do post your buying experience and reviews soon with pics. BTW, which color FIGO?

Rahul,
Would say its quite unbiased, Ma whip is a Swift Diesel done around 55K in 25 months. Would strongly suggest you to have checked th swift as well for the simple reason of the its refinement. Understand you would be missing out on certain features but performance is something which brings a smile on ma face each time i get off the seat. Figo is pretty new to the market and i found it to be quite noisy. Punto is a great looking car, but the Swift would strike a comfortable balance with all your requirements.
PS: Understand you had a petrol Swift. But no harm in testing the Diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkh (Post 1884745)
GTO: i guess you say that for both (reading your reviews), buying the diesel makes sense, but does it make sense to buy it when not going to run it that much? Also the service costs of a diesel are much higher than for a petrol, not to mention the initial buying cost

No Euro petrols really impress. When it comes to petrol hatchbacks, the Japs & Koreans rule. The petrol variant of either of these cars is outshone by the diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 1884704)
GTO, what a coincidence? A friend of mine has zeroed in on Figo D Titanium. But for same 6.5 lakhs, he is getting a 63000 km 2007 Octavia Elegant D. He is in a dilemma. Brand new hatch or used but excellent condition sedan. Whatsay GTO?

Read my lateral upgrade guide again :). European premium cars don't make for the best used buys. I don't think your friend will appreciate spending mega bucks on clutch + flywheel replacements (and more) on the Octavia. Though the Octavia 1.9 TDi is a rare robust & reliable Skoda, the difference in maintenance costs will be too high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 1884933)
This could be the other way round, as discussed in the various ownership threads. Figo owners haven't been too happy with the FE figures they are able to achieve.

The Fiesta 1.4 diesel running the same engine easily does 14 kpl in the city, if not 15. I don't see why the Figo shouldn't. Wait for the cars odo to clock 10,000 kms. I'm pretty sure the FE will meet the Fiestas easily.

Thanks a lot GTO.:thumbs up Now he has settled for Figo. Was tempted initially by the deal because Octy is several notches above Figo, however a few Skoda horror stories scared him into backing out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 1887605)
Thanks a lot GTO.:thumbs up Now he has settled for Figo. Was tempted initially by the deal because Octy is several notches above Figo, however a few Skoda horror stories scared him into backing out.

Guys today i had experienced a strange occurrence. I stopped my figo petrol and switched off the ignition and removed the key. I stepped out of the car and realized that the engine was running.

First thing is how can this happen? Second thing, i inserted the key again and restarted the car and after a few seconds switched it off. The engine switched off!! Can someone tell me what and how this happened? GTO help!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumathindra (Post 1887692)
Guys today i had experienced a strange occurrence. I stopped my figo petrol and switched off the ignition and removed the key. I stepped out of the car and realized that the engine was running.

First thing is how can this happen? Second thing, i inserted the key again and restarted the car and after a few seconds switched it off. The engine switched off!! Can someone tell me what and how this happened? GTO help!!

Strange! Just to clarify-

Since you mentioned "i inserted the key again and restarted the car"? Did the car switch off after sometime? How long did it run after the key was removed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_63 (Post 1885131)

One question. Has Fiat / Tata not improved on the A.S.S aspect ?? I was under the impression that after the success of the Linea & Punto, they had pulled up their socks right upto their knees. :D No first hand experience, just hearsay, what's your POV ?

I think they have improved a lot. This is my personal opinion based on my experience. But way to go to come along with the competition.

Excellent comparison. Congrats on your new buy.

When Punto first came into the market, I thought FIAT had a winner on hand. FIAT has to do a RCA on why their products are not so successful in India.Would having an independent dealership help them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumathindra (Post 1887692)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 1887835)
Strange! Just to clarify-

Since you mentioned "i inserted the key again and restarted the car"? Did the car switch off after sometime? How long did it run after the key was removed?

Its the engine fan. If its running in second speed when you turn off the ignition it will continue to run till the temperature comes down a bit. This does not happen if the fan is running in speed 1. So you would very rarely experience this. Dont worry. Its a feature not an issue. :)

Congrats on your Figo, one of my friend who looking for an hatch test drove almost all petrol hatch available excluding Marutis(he hates MSLlol:), I was with him for every test, finally he booked a Figo Titanium petrol, for the VFM the car was giving. Though at same price he could have got Punto Active D, but figo scored on features, but here as you have a Figo Diesel, I am little surprised that no one mentioned the power and torque factor where Figo is at Power (PS@rpm) 69@4000 and Torque ( Nm@rpm) 160@2000, and punto scores 76@4000 & 197@1750, with the ride quality and handling. And Figo Titanium with no front fog lamps, rare power window, stearing mounted controls, alloys, and the FE factor. But its a new car on the road so happy driving.

oops that's cool. For a second i thought i have an issue at hand...Thanks Gemi, appreciate it..

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1887447)
The Fiesta 1.4 diesel running the same engine easily does 14 kpl in the city, if not 15. I don't see why the Figo shouldn't. Wait for the cars odo to clock 10,000 kms. I'm pretty sure the FE will meet the Fiestas easily.

I have a small doubt on this and slightly differ - as per the tbhp ownership reports (not seen any other sites or other e-reviews & reviews) Figo will settle inside 13 and 18 - city & highway with AC on. If it reaches Fiesta's then Figo will be a strong diesel player in this segment very close to Swift.
Is it advisable to add 2T oil of 500 ml along with a tank full of diesel to make fuel pump & injectors smooth.

rahulmd, excellent reivew! It's surprising to see how closely I have mirrored your thought process ! Its a fight-out between Punto MJD emotion Vs Figo Titanium for me ! Not sure which way I will go.. I am more of a heart person though stupid:

just imagine the success figo would have had if it was designed with a bit more flair and slightly snazzier interiors.

Figo i would also say is a definably complete VFM considering the price point and what is on offer. But punot just make you fall in love with it once you look at it, especially in red and black color.... its literally orgasmic :D Also i feel the interior quality is an issue only when you are comparing cars aginst each other. Once you start using a car and have put on couple of thousand kilometers, you dont feel it so much. Plus Puntos interiors on the emotion pack are quite engaging compared to figos... I wont get in to the drive experience as much has been said about it before. The only factor which keeps me away from buying a punto is the service experience i have had with my palio 1.6 sport. The worst service experience i have had with all the cars i own and have owned till date and i definitely have had a very good experience with ford service when i owned a ikon. So the best time to enjoy a punto is after the warranty gets over and you give it to a good mechanic who knows more about cars than the service advisers at Tata service center (from past experience with BU Bhandari in pune where the service adviser was not able to answer one single question and had to refer to her team leader all the time)