Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:39   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Delivery experience was nothing to speak about .. very average. It came with a mis aligned bonnet, glove box, crack on rear wiper and wheel balancing issues. But next day I got all this rectified to my satisfaction and enjoying every bit of it since then. But nothing much to complain as I was prepared for it But one thing surpirised me was the kind of support I got from FIAT. Mr. Ravi Bhattia assured me all support and he has called me up as soon as I post my concerns about FIAT services experience and spare parts availability. From the dealer I got to hear that he has called them up on the day of delivery to make sure that everything should be smooth (though they have messed up the whole experience)
Can you please tell which dealer you went with in Bangalore for FIAT?
I registered in Prerana Motors website for a TD about a week back and I never heard anything from them. On the contrary, I got a call from Lathangi motors within few minutes after i requested for TD in their website. It was again followed up with multiple calls from some marketing guy.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:43   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have enough budget and looking for an excellent city car look no beyond I20(I heard it is not bad on higways too).
With in budget and still need an amazing diesel car then it is FIGO.
Then the question is why PUNTO???
I have no answer .

I simply loved it,looks..ride and big car feel but that was not the deciding factor. My heart told me PUNTO is the car for you, so went by heart.
Loved that statement. I think thats the same with all FIAT owners. You really cant have any logical reasoning.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:41   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Can you please tell which dealer you went with in Bangalore for FIAT?
I registered in Prerana Motors website for a TD about a week back and I never heard anything from them. On the contrary, I got a call from Lathangi motors within few minutes after i requested for TD in their website. It was again followed up with multiple calls from some marketing guy.
Prerana Motors, Outer ring road. KHT motors was very prompt in giving test drives, but I felt their sales guys were not very serious after that. The sales manger Mr. Niranjan had not time to meet me, though I have been asked to come down to the showroom to finalize the deal. Mr. Ashok and Hemanth from Prerana were better, and Prerana has offered a good exchange price for my WagonR.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:09   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Loved that statement. I think thats the same with all FIAT owners. You really cant have any logical reasoning.
I'm one of those guys. Till the moment i laid my eyes on a Punto, I had never thought that i need a car. I always thought cars are not very practical on indian roads and that my bike is good enough to cover most of the areas in the city and that Buses and trains and planes would do the rest . But once i saw the Punto, I decided i needed a car . I think the Punto is like the ring of Sauron, once you see it, it keeps calling out to you till you get your hands on one .
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:52   #95
BHPian

Quote:
. If you have enough budget and looking for an excellent city car look no beyond I20(I heard it is not bad on higways too).
With in budget and still need an amazing diesel car then it is FIGO.
If it is i20 CRDI you are talking about, you should see the way it moves in the highway! Overtaking is a breeze with 90 BHP/224 Nm torque coming off a state of the art 1.4 CRDi imported mill with FGT.

Simply, the smoothest, most powerful in class, luxurious hatch I've been in. (I assure you I am not biased

I also drove Ford Figo TDCi titanium and boy I was floored! AWESOME hatch. Excellent steering (in class) and I simple loved the way the 1.4 mill pulled and how the car handled. I'd pick it up anyday over the Punto MJD (though you might lack a few gizmos).

PS:
[1] I own a i20 CRDi Asta(o) driven it for over 25,000 kms
[2] Bugged showrooms throughout Bangalore, Put Blue Punto as my Wallpaper, Went to showroom early in the morning on the day of launch, stood first in queue when Punto was launched to book that car. Took the first test drive (car had clocked some 56 km) and went back home without booking and in total dis-belief
[3] Also own a Ford Ikon 1.6 - Can vouch for the dynamics of a Ford car
[4] Also owned a Swift VDi (ABS) - Engine of TDCi is way too refined than the punchy 1.3 MJD in Swift
[5] Driven most of the cars in this hatch/premium hatch for a good distance (one or other friends own them and have been on long drives) - In premium hatches, I'd rank:
1. i20 CRDi - The BEST (overall - not the best handling car)
2. Ford Figo TDCi - Awesome engine + Handling
3. Punto MJD - Good car. Inconsistent interior quality, poor fit and finish. Great ride and handling
4. Vista - Very good!
5. Swift DDiS - Excellent Driver's car. Build is suspect. I hate the brakes (even with ABS)

If you prefer to drive a slower car though it handles better in high speeds, love Punto's looks, take Punto.

Else, you just can't go wrong with Figo TDCi! (rear windows don't close full, no power windows in rear is the fly in the ointment)
Old 16th September 2010, 00:26   #96
BHPian

This is really a very interesting thread running here..!

As a prospective diesel hatch buyer..i have a few question..
for a budget of 6L, I have a choice between Figo ZXI and Punto Active.

so considering purely the following, which one would you recommend:

1. Safety (considering how unsafe our roads are)
2. Ease of driving (I am a new driver when it comes to cars..but have done more than 100000 km on 2 wheels)
3. Build quality & Vehicle Dynamics
4. FE
5. Engine refinement (This I feel adds to my overall satisfaction)

All suggestions are welcome.
Old 24th September 2010, 19:18   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
This is really a very interesting thread running here..!

As a prospective diesel hatch buyer..i have a few question..
for a budget of 6L, I have a choice between Figo ZXI and Punto Active.

so considering purely the following, which one would you recommend:

1. Safety (considering how unsafe our roads are)
2. Ease of driving (I am a new driver when it comes to cars..but have done more than 100000 km on 2 wheels)
3. Build quality & Vehicle Dynamics
4. FE
5. Engine refinement (This I feel adds to my overall satisfaction)

All suggestions are welcome.

As I can see from you requirements list I think safety is your primary target. I have rated the cars below as per my knowledge. More people can chip in if need be.

1. Punto
2. Debatable - I'd go with the Punto.
3. Build Quality - Ford, Vehicle dynamics again debatable - I'll stick with Punto
4. FE - Both are equal.
5. Debatable again if Diesel. I'll stick with Figo. I've no idea about the petrol, but as per the reviews, I think the Punto 1.4 FIRE.
I think there is a separate thread running on the difference between the TDCi and MJD a.k.a the national engine.
Old 27th September 2010, 21:33   #98
BHPian

Congrats on the Figo.. i am actually in the same ship of confusion.

But did you atleast vaguely consider the service interval for both. Punto has a 15000 kms interval. Well i am not sure of the Figo. What is it?
Old 28th September 2010, 12:28   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Congrats on the Figo.. i am actually in the same ship of confusion.

But did you atleast vaguely consider the service interval for both. Punto has a 15000 kms interval. Well i am not sure of the Figo. What is it?
The Figo has a service interval of 10,000km.

After having driven my Figo for over 5000km over the last 3 months, my likes and dislikes:

Love:
1. Handling - The steering feel is absolutely fantastic
2. Very stable on the highway at speeds in excess of 130kmph
3. Fairly Lagless Engine - There is some lag below 1500rpm, but once you cross that the engine revs freely till about 4400rpm
4. The stock music system - the system which came with the car sounds really nice
5. While the 0-100kmph figures are supposed to be quite slow, in the real world, the car is quite fast and peppy and is no slouch on the highway

Hate:
1. Headlight - It is not confidence inspiring on the highways at night. Thinking of trying out the Philips Xtreme Power 55/60. Not too keen on getting the 90/100 since I hate people driving around in the city with such powerful lights and blinding everyone unnecessarily. I would ideally like a 55/100 kind of bulb, so that in the city i drive around on low beam and turn on the high beam only on the highways at higher speeds :-)
2. The front seat lacks adequate lower back support - Had to get a lumbar cushion to rectify this

Irritants:
1. The lane change indicators are quite irritating. The way the lane change indicators work is that if you gently tap the indicator up or down, without applying enough force to turn it on, the indicator will blink for 3-4 seconds and turn off by itself. This is great while changing lanes. BUT, when you have an oncoming vehicle and if you are trying to flash your headlights, the slightest vertical movement will trigger the lane change indicator which is very misleading. The "slightest" vertical movement is quite possible since i typically flash the light using my fingers while my hands stay on the wheel....

2. There are squeaks from the rear parcel tray which is quite irritating. A liberal application of WD40 would probably resolve the issue, but its still irritating
Old 18th October 2010, 00:52   #100
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma and not sure which way I would go. I haven't had a chance to test drive Punto though! With B U Bhandari terminating ZFiat dealership - there is only one Punto dealer - Pandit and it's quite far from my place, besides I haven't many good things about him! :(

Wish Fiat really provided some attention to details that this car really deserves!
Old 24th November 2010, 15:17   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the benefit of others:

Looks : Punto. Italians understand style better than anyone else

Build : Punto feels a tad more solid (though both are NOT flimsy). But the Figo has better consistency in fit & finish (especially interiors).

City driving : Ford Figo. Minimal turbo lag.

Light controls & chuckability : Figo

Fuel efficiency : Both equal, though I'd presume the Figo would have an outright edge (lighter, no turbolag).

Straight line expressway stability : Punto

Steering : Punto. At speed, Punto. Best steering this side of 10 lakhs

Interior comfort : Both more or less the same

Equipment : Punto. But then, its priced higher too

Niggles : The Punto has / will have more. The Figo feels decidedly built with more precision

VFM : This is where Ford's brilliant pricing kills the Fiat. The Figo clearly gives you more car per car. Its popularity in the market, and on the forum, clearly demonstrates that.

Personally, my advice would be : If you can afford it & stretch your budget, go for the Punto. If on a budget, or VFM matters very highly to you, the Figo. My brother may need a hatchback in the coming months (I'm convincing him on a pre-worshipped luxo sedan though ), and the Punto is top on my list. Especially with that sport version 'em Fiat India is talking about. Somehow, the Italian hatch pulls the strings to your heart like no other.
Read everything
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2065194-post406.html
This included and this is where I am frying my brains.

If it will be the 90 HP we shall be opting for a loan, though for the Figo, it should be an outright cash purchase.

The A.S.S of Ford isn't as good in Siliguri though my friend is satisfied with Bajla at Siliguri.

Lets see how things pan out for me I still dunno myself. Not considering any other Car, though can think of a petrol Car, but should be dynamically competent.
Old 4th February 2011, 13:48   #102
BHPian

Re: Figo TDCi Titanium Vs Punto MJD Emotion Pack - 2 Diesel cars, 1 buyer - Tough Cho

Rahul,

Sorry for bumping an old thread but wanted to know whether you got the Figo pete'd?

I have searched across the complete forum and no one seems to have Pete'd it as yet or even a ECU remap. If you have done it, can you share your experience on the before and after performance of the Figo?
Old 5th February 2011, 15:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Re: Figo TDCi Titanium Vs Punto MJD Emotion Pack - 2 Diesel cars, 1 buyer - Tough Cho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread but wanted to know whether you got the Figo pete'd?
JayD had got 'Green Cotton Storm filter' fitted on to his car. His car also spots a 'Petes' sticker.

Here is the link to his ownership thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...p-display.html
Old 20th May 2014, 16:58   #104
BHPian

Alright folks, please spill all your wisdom here. I am in the market of a diesel hatchback. I own a 2005 Corolla which has crossed 1 lakh km recently (in process of writing the long term ownership report) which I use as my daily drive in the city of Pune. Now I think I will buy a workhorse and keep the corolla for family outings only.

Following cars are being considered:
Toyota Liva Diesel: I am obviously biased towards the T-badge and the 1.4 D-4D engine. I had an opportunity to travel in this car on the expressway and I must say the engine is very powerful. However, everything else is a let-down. I am trying very hard to like this car but every time I sit in the car its doors, plastic quality, centrally located speedometer, skin size body shell lets me down.

Figo Titanium TDCi: I am getting approximately 50K discount on the OTR price. I am getting 3rd-4th year warrant, 36 months RSA inclusive in the price. I like the city driveability aspect of this car. The hydraulic steering unit is a gem. It moves fairly effortlessly from a stand-still and I am comparing it to Punto which has exact weight has the Figo. I haven’t tested it on highway so not sure how strong footed it remains on the highway when a volvo bus overtakes it or while on the bumpy section of the highway that you tend to take at 80 km/h. My driving style is expected to be mostly sedate so I ain’t really looking at performance beyond 100-120 km/h on highway (I have my corolla for that). However, overtaking that irritant cab shouldn’t be an worrisome exercise.

Punto 1.3 MJD emotion: I am getting decent discount (~75k) on OTR price. I am getting 3rd-4th year extended warrant + 48 months RSA inclusive in the cost. This car feels sturdier than the Figo but it is very lethargic to move on from a stand-still. It is a rockstar in the 3rd gear but city driving mostly warrants 2nd gear drivability which I find missing in it. I have read numerous ownership reports about handling and steering feedback but honestly I didn't find the steering as inspiring as Figo. Also the rear bench leg room is really at a short supply.
Question to the experts: Will a tuning box make significant difference to get rid of the initial lag?

Swift ZDi: I have owned a ZXi in the past for 75000 kms. Although the gear shifting and driving this car is fun, the rattles and expensive servicing cost is a downer. Not considering it at all.
Guys, please give me your perspective on Figo, Punto and Liva diesel versions. A.S.S. for all 3 is comparable in Pune (yes I count DSK Toyota in the same category as others).
Also, I will need someone from Pune to help me with the PDI very soon.

Most Viewed