Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 17:01   #1
BHPian

My First Car - Santro Xing GLS

Hello Everyone,

This is my first ownership thread.

I have purchased a Santro Xing GLS in Nov '09.Regret for the delay in posting the ownership as I was not a member then and was just surfing as a guest.

Initially I was thinking of purchasing a second hand Santro Xing, may be a 2 yr old one but after enquiring with various used car dealerships, came to a conclusion that its better to purchase a new one rather than going in for a used one as the used cars were also almost near to the actual cost. There were cheaper ones available as well but their condition was not so good.

Took the delivery of the vehicle on 29 Nov '09. Initial review of the vehicle is quite satisfying. As I am a newbie to cars (this being my first car), Santro is the perfect choice. It is gentle and comfortable to drive in the chaotic traffic of Delhi. I have driven it about 2700 kms so far and enjoyed every km.

Though the ride seems to be a bit bumpy, but when I checked few of my friends cars, it seems as normal for a Santro. There is a bit a change in the performance of the car when the A/C is switched on. Though the drop in power is normal after turning on A/C, still would prefer to check with the A.S.S. when I take it for the second service.

As far as fuel efficiency is concerned, while the car was delivered to me, the Sales Advisor said that till the first service, the vehicle would not give a fuel efficiency of more than 10 km/ltr. But when I went for the first service, he was amazed to hear that I got a fuel efficiency of 16 km/ltr. He praises my good driving skills for the same

List of Accessories given as compliment by dealer :
================================================== =
  • Hyundai Genuine Gear Lock
  • Mud Flaps
  • Fabric Carpets
  • Free Insurance
List of Accessories installed so far :
======================================
  • Autcop central Locking
  • Teflon Coating and Anti-Rust Coating
  • Sunfilms - Dark (10% visibility on Sides and Rear) + 50% visibility on the front windshield
  • Art Leather seat covers - Beige + Brown (to match with the interior color scheme)
  • Fog Lights - Genuine from Hyundai (Though now I regret, could have got it from outside, would have been cheaper)
  • Philips Diamond Vision bulbs for Headlamps - Wanted the same for Fogs as well but unable to get
  • Skoda type Horns
  • Leather Steering wheel wrap
  • Perfume - Glare (I really like its aura)
  • Plastic Mats - As the fabric ones attract dust quickly and are not easy to clean
ICE Setup :
===========
  • Sony Xplod HU - CDX-GT680UI
  • 2 Sony Xplod Speakers - 150W (Front)
  • 2 Pioneer Speakers - 400W (Rear)
  • JBL 1100W Sub Woofer
  • Alpine 4 Channel Amplifier
  • 2 Pioneer Tweeters
Time for some pics. Regret for the bad quality as these were taken just after delivery from my crappy mobile camera. Will post better pics later with all the installed stuff. Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
My First Car - Santro Xing GLS-image_029.jpg  

My First Car - Santro Xing GLS-image_030.jpg  

My First Car - Santro Xing GLS-image_031.jpg  

My First Car - Santro Xing GLS-image_032.jpg  

My First Car - Santro Xing GLS-image_033.jpg  

My First Car - Santro Xing GLS-image_034.jpg  

My First Car - Santro Xing GLS-image_035.jpg  

Old 14th May 2010, 20:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy - really nice accessories to go with the car!
Ain't a sunfilm a little too dark for the cops?
Do you plan any upgrades soon? (Alloys/tires/aftermarket filters etc.)
Post some nice pictures soon!!
Old 14th May 2010, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the new car.

Shouldn't the sunflims be the other way round. 10% on front and 50% on sides.
Old 14th May 2010, 21:20   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the car. Thats a very good FE that you are squeezing out of it. Great going on that front. Is this FE purely from city driving conditions with 100% AC usage?

And pretty neat ICE configeration for a santro!
Old 14th May 2010, 21:26   #5
lsp
BHPian

Congrats Repsol!!
Santro is an excellent choice for a newbie driver. The tall seat gives an excellent view of the road and the surroundings. The A pillar blocks very little view and the car is low. Some drop in power is there. The FE figure you have posted is amazing. Please do post better quality pics including interiors.

Santro does hold its value pretty good. 5 year old samples with 50k+ on the odo are no less than 2.2-2.5L in Delhi.
Old 15th May 2010, 07:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the car. The Santro is a good car to start off with. Hyundai should keep you happy with the service cost and experience.

Enjoy many more miles with the Santro
Old 15th May 2010, 08:48   #7
BHPian

Congrats! How much did you pay OTR for this?
Old 15th May 2010, 09:18   #8
BHPian

Santro is still one of the best cars in its segment.

Congrats on your lovely purchase.
Old 15th May 2010, 10:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post

As far as fuel efficiency is concerned, while the car was delivered to me, the Sales Advisor said that till the first service, the vehicle would not give a fuel efficiency of more than 10 km/ltr. But when I went for the first service, he was amazed to hear that I got a fuel efficiency of 16 km/ltr. He praises my good driving skills for the same
Hi Repsol,

Thats a great choice, Santro has proved time and again that it's one of the best cars in the segment.

I got my first car in the form of santro in Oct'06. It has done 92000 Kms + till date and I never had any major issues with it. Only thing which I had changed in my car are the tyres.

I still get 14 + KMPL in city conditions and 17 + KMPL on high ways. I was also informed that FE would be around 10 + KMPL till the first service but I got a FE of 14 + KMPL.

Regards,

Vikram
Old 15th May 2010, 10:40   #10
BHPian

Congratulations.

Hey there!
Congratulations to you on your new car!
When I started off my analysis for our first family car (in Oct 09),

Dad: Alto!
Me: Santro!!
Dad: Ok, Santro is better, you are right! * **

(*well, he did not say "you are right".. I just added it )
(**ya, neither did he say Santro is better )

But, I convinced him, to go for a better car than Alto in similar bracket.
Slowly, I managed to woo him in for a Santro!
(I liked Santro too!)

When we went for a TD, I saw i10 ready for TD!
We had a drive and Santro purchase was escalated to i10!

Anyway.
Point of all the rambling,
I do feel the enthusiasm of owning a first family car!!
Congrats again.

Good car.

Better pics. We Wait.

Care.

Ace.
Old 15th May 2010, 11:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey Repsol welcome on board the Most Revved forum online today !! TBHP
I am pretty new myself but all the wonderful people here have never really made me feel so.

More Importantly bro, welcome to the Sunshine Gang.
I would never compete in a drag race with Santro but boy can this little hatch hold its own in city traffic. Its almost as good as having a 2 wheeler when you have to zip in between the thick city rush, especially in cities like Delhi and Bangalore!!

All Said and Done, as all the other Bhpians have confirmed, its a Great choice and since Santro was my first Car as well, I can comprehend the way it makes you feel every time you even think about taking her out for a spin!!
Please post some better or day time pics of your latest acquisition when you can.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 15th May 2010 at 11:13.
Old 15th May 2010, 11:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
  • Sunfilms - Dark (10% visibility on Sides and Rear) + 50% visibility on the front windshield.
Congrats on your purchase. Repsol IIRC, as per law the VLT (Visible light transmission) for front windshield must be 70% and for sides it must be 50%, isn't your choice too dark? Wont the cops trouble you, specially in a place like delhi?

Spike
Old 15th May 2010, 12:33   #13

@ Repsol : Congratulation!! and I must say a good write up..
Santro is our first car and the only car too..We bought our car in April,2008 and still driving..Yes deciding your first car indeed is a great task..It was the car we needed for the necessity..and it took me a long time deciding what to take - considering there were good options across different models in swift, i10,santro and of course alto..then there were Indica and Palio..

My need was :

1. Least expensive - as it was a necessity and I was almost heading for 90% + car loan
2. I wanted at least some amount of power and better driving comfort
3. Good for a highway drive as well as zippy city drive

Alto - was out of choice of sheer lack of power, low and cramp sitting position and did not have the fun to drive.
Swift - Nice car to drive - but was dead against the look.
Palio - Would be a good choice for diesel, but all calculations between diesel and petrol cars resulted in a no profit for diesel, considering my monthly drive would not be more than 1200KM..It was not worth spending that much more for a diesel car..
Indica- did not want to posses bcoz of lack of refinement in tata car at that point of time.
i10 - Liked it..but i was getting the same features of i10 Era in Santro GLS. Santro was 51K cheaper.

I was happy driving it, nice proven car..the only concern was back seat was not very pleasant. But after lot of calculation, using method of elimination and discussing the same old points again and again with @Shuvc, almost pushing him to his end of patience level, we decided to go for Santro

We are proudly owning it till now and have no plan ( read it as no capacity ) to change it in near future..
I will come with my 27000 + km ownership report shortly in your thread..
Old 15th May 2010, 13:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats buddy - really nice accessories to go with the car!
Ain't a sunfilm a little too dark for the cops?
Do you plan any upgrades soon? (Alloys/tires/aftermarket filters etc.)
Post some nice pictures soon!!
@blackasta : Thanks. Yes I know the sunfilms are a bit too dark, but really could help. I really like the killer looks which it gives to the car and not to mention the A/C effectiveness.

I was thinking of getting better tyres and Alloys, but dropped the idea as of now due to the warranty thing (But the same will remain at the bak of my mind )

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
Congrats on the new car.

Shouldn't the sunflims be the other way round. 10% on front and 50% on sides.
Thanks @ anupamsinha. Its not 10% dark. Its 10% visibility. That means that the tints are 90% dark. Alsmost like Jet Black.

[quoteSilkDrive;1886416]Congrats on the car. Thats a very good FE that you are squeezing out of it. Great going on that front. Is this FE purely from city driving conditions with 100% AC usage?

And pretty neat ICE configeration for a santro![/quote]

Thanks @ SilkDrive. The FE figure quoted is 100% City driving conditions with 70% AC usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Congrats Repsol!!
Santro is an excellent choice for a newbie driver. The tall seat gives an excellent view of the road and the surroundings. The A pillar blocks very little view and the car is low. Some drop in power is there. The FE figure you have posted is amazing. Please do post better quality pics including interiors.

Santro does hold its value pretty good. 5 year old samples with 50k+ on the odo are no less than 2.2-2.5L in Delhi.
Thanks @lsp. Yes, a 5 yr old car was almost costing the same figure when I enquired with some used car dealers. But somehow, my dad was not so impressed. So went in for a new one. And surely will post better quality pics of interior and accessories soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the car. The Santro is a good car to start off with. Hyundai should keep you happy with the service cost and experience.

Enjoy many more miles with the Santro
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Congrats! How much did you pay OTR for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Santro is still one of the best cars in its segment.

Congrats on your lovely purchase.
Thanks @nkrishnap, @joy_swift and @quadmaniac

@quadmaniac : OTR = 3.68 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram.vns View Post
Hi Repsol,

Thats a great choice, Santro has proved time and again that it's one of the best cars in the segment.

I got my first car in the form of santro in Oct'06. It has done 92000 Kms + till date and I never had any major issues with it. Only thing which I had changed in my car are the tyres.

I still get 14 + KMPL in city conditions and 17 + KMPL on high ways. I was also informed that FE would be around 10 + KMPL till the first service but I got a FE of 14 + KMPL.

Regards,

Vikram
@vikram.vns : Thank you so much for your wishes. In fact after reading all those revies and ownership experiences in T-BHP, was I able to decide my first ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hey there!
Congratulations to you on your new car!
When I started off my analysis for our first family car (in Oct 09),

Dad: Alto!
Me: Santro!!
Dad: Ok, Santro is better, you are right! * **

(*well, he did not say "you are right".. I just added it )
(**ya, neither did he say Santro is better )

But, I convinced him, to go for a better car than Alto in similar bracket.
Slowly, I managed to woo him in for a Santro!
(I liked Santro too!)

When we went for a TD, I saw i10 ready for TD!
We had a drive and Santro purchase was escalated to i10!

Anyway.
Point of all the rambling,
I do feel the enthusiasm of owning a first family car!!
Congrats again.

Good car.

Better pics. We Wait.

Care.

Ace.
Thanks buddy. Infact the story is almost similar for my case as well. My dad was very keen on Alto, but I kept emphasising on Santro and it took close to 4 months to bring him to Santro. Now he is happy with the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Repsol welcome on board the Most Revved forum online today !! TBHP
I am pretty new myself but all the wonderful people here have never really made me feel so.

More Importantly bro, welcome to the Sunshine Gang.
I would never compete in a drag race with Santro but boy can this little hatch hold its own in city traffic. Its almost as good as having a 2 wheeler when you have to zip in between the thick city rush, especially in cities like Delhi and Bangalore!!

All Said and Done, as all the other Bhpians have confirmed, its a Great choice and since Santro was my first Car as well, I can comprehend the way it makes you feel every time you even think about taking her out for a spin!!
Please post some better or day time pics of your latest acquisition when you can.
Thanks @vik0728. Will definitely post better day time pics asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Repsol IIRC, as per law the VLT (Visible light transmission) for front windshield must be 70% and for sides it must be 50%, isn't your choice too dark? Wont the cops trouble you, specially in a place like delhi?

Spike
Thanks buddy. Yes, I know that the choice of tints is abit too dark. But really wanted the ride to look stunner. As far as the cops are concerned, I am able to manage well in Delhi, but its a bit hard in Gurgaon. The cops there are a bit more alert
Old 16th May 2010, 12:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Buddy .
Its a great feeling to own a new car, specially if its the first one, and i know how it feel.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks