Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 14:57   #1

Value For Money Honda Accord At

I had earlier posted this in : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...-accord-5.html but thanks to GTO was informed to post here. So am doing that. Hope it is of help to all those who want to buy a value for money luxury car - Accord.

I got my delivery of the Accord VTiL-AT. Or in simpler words my Accord Automatic and will share an initial review. Might do one later also - after driving it for a couple of more kms/months.

I drove it for around half an hour, at first I was a bit hesitant as the Accord is much bigger in dimensions from the City, but surprisingly it didn't feel hard to drive and was pretty smooth and easy. I loved the automatic side mirrors that open and close automatically. Very classy and upmarket. While driving, I got complete peace of mind as nobody was looking or staring at me. I didn't attract any strange attention. Was smiling to myself and thanking Team-BHP for this choice. The acceleration and power is also very good, but also very smooth. The car is very smooth and silent to have under your hands. Taking turns also is easy and U-turns is also just as easy as City.

Interiors are also very classy and much better than City. The features like individual AC temperature control, parking sensors for both front and back and controls even at the back seat are all beautiful. The back seat has a very spacious and luxurious feel to it. The driver seat is fully automatic adjusted and I was told it has some massage feature, which I am yet to try. I am also yet to learn about cruise control, as I drove it only for half an hour within city. I drove it not with the paddle shift, but in usual D mode. Will try paddle shift later, I enjoy the City's paddle shift am sure this will be better.

My family liked the back seat, which also has a small space through which you can put small bags into the boot and the leg space feels like you are sitting in a much more expensive car. I might be wrong, but the car looks bigger in length and space inside than a BMW -3 series or Mercedes C class. On safety part it has six airbags - total curtain, which again I doubt are there in 3 series and C class. So I guess I also got a very value for money deal. Once again thank you Team BHP!

I was told I will get FE of 8-9 km/l - but am not sure if that is possible in Bombay traffic. One thing, I didn't like was that the steering wheel had no controls. City which is much cheaper has steering mounted controls. They should give these. Also there was option of Elegance - which had some wood trim and blue illumination, but I didn't take it as I already was fining interiors up to my liking.

I know I am gushing like a small boy, but then that is how we men are when we get our toys.

Will keep you guys posted more and have a great week ahead!
Old 24th May 2010, 16:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats !

I wouldn't really term the Accord as VFM, if compared to the Superb, I would term the Honda over priced ! But thats just my personal opinion.

The 3 and C certainly do have curtain airbags.

Don't expect an avg FE of 8-9 in Mumbai city, realistically it will be more like 6-7. And if you drive aggressively or in excessive traffic it could go below 6 too.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:51   #3

Thanks Sahil for the info on the BMW -3 and C-Class.

However, I still think a Honda is a great VFM compared to a Skoda. The spare parts of Skoda are much more expensive and as I hear and read on Team BHP too their service is not reliable. This is my second Honda and I think these cars are known to give you peace of mind.

The Skoda in my mind has a very east European rugged image and not as refined. In India it tends - specially the Octavia - to be driven mostly by the slightly more aggressive people.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on a very sensible buy given your requirements in the other thread I was following. It sure is a big, comfortable car at the price, and although the Superb beats it on equipment list, the Accord is proven to be more reliable and less expensive to run over the long term.

The 3 and C do have curtain airbags btw. And the Accord is far bigger than those two physically, so no wonder that you find the Accord to be more spacious and bigger inside. After all, there's a full 400mm between the Accord (4.95m) and the C/3 (~4.55m). Infact, the Accord is longer than even the 5/E.

Realistically don't expect more than 7 kmpl in the city. Also, cruise control is useless in the city, and only just finds use on the expressway if you have superhuman confidence in truckers and fellow motorists on the expressway.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations for the Accord AT. It's indeed a beautiful and luxurious car

I was seeing a comparison on TV this morning on a automotive channel between Accord/Superb/Passat

And, they rated the Superb as the best between the 3 and Passat next in line.

But, what Accord has the largest backseat space between the three and even i think its not really VFM.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.wadhwa View Post
Thanks Sahil for the info on the BMW -3 and C-Class.

However, I still think a Honda is a great VFM compared to a Skoda. The spare parts of Skoda are much more expensive and as I hear and read on Team BHP too their service is not reliable. This is my second Honda and I think these cars are known to give you peace of mind.

The Skoda in my mind has a very east European rugged image and not as refined. In India it tends - specially the Octavia - to be driven mostly by the slightly more aggressive people.
The Superb has yet to prove it's reliability since it's a newer car, however the previous gen Superb did not develop too many complaints.
In terms of service, Honda is probably cheaper but not by a big margin. For example, the Accord goes in for service every 5000kms and you get billed around 3000-4000rupees including oil change etc. The Superb however goes in for service only once every 15,000kms and you are billed around Rs.6000. Hence essentially in terms of service cost ONLY the Skoda actually might work out cheaper !
Owners have complained about the current-gen Accord's spares being on the higher side, however I still feel Skoda's major spares might be more expensive.

In terms of refinement, you will be surprisingly pleased to see how smooth the Superb 1.8TSi engine is. I upgraded my 2.3L Accord to the Superb hence I speak having tasted and tested(TD the new gen Accord too) the Honda.

Btw, the high revving Honda engine has its own charm

Last edited by Sahil : 24th May 2010 at 18:52.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The Superb has yet to prove it's reliability since it's a newer car, however the previous gen Superb did not develop too many complaints.
While I agree with the rest of what you've said, I've personally known four old-gen Superb owners going maaaaaaaad trying to keep the damn thing in working condition. Electricals were utter crap. Two sold it within a year.

Hopefully the new Superb will be a different story, because I love it. And because you have two to think about
Old 25th May 2010, 00:15   #8

For me compared to the other things I had in mind, the Accord is surely great value for money. There is a joke that if you want to get rich, please don't follow the idiot box - the business news channel. At least when it comes to investing, I don't follow them. Similarly when it comes to cars, I would rather follow a group like Team BHP than them.

A lot of people here did suggest the Accord to me.

On other thoughts, recently at a meeting I was speaking about how I made my choice thank to Team BHP and this other person started saying that Team BHP is a bunch of 'rich kids' with daddies money who do not accept anybody into their 'exclusive' club and are very snobbish. I got very angry with him because it has helped me a lot and is nothing like that.

Why would people have such strange views? Am curious to know.
Old 25th May 2010, 00:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On other thoughts, recently at a meeting I was speaking about how I made my choice thank to Team BHP and this other person started saying that Team BHP is a bunch of 'rich kids' with daddies money who do not accept anybody into their 'exclusive' club and are very snobbish. I got very angry with him because it has helped me a lot and is nothing like that.

Why would people have such strange views? Am curious to know.
I suspect it could just be because some cars sporting Team BHP stickers might have been spotted driving in a rash / inconsiderate manner. Else, beats me !! Here we get just as excited when a new member gets his Nano as when he does a Bentley ... and the age group of members might be concentrated towards the 20's and 30's but even then, hardly what you could call kids... lol.

Also, it's very difficult for a non-enthusiast to see any value in performance modifications and 1 lac+ ICE setups etc. It might seem all too frivolous and show baazi.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th May 2010 at 00:38.
Old 25th May 2010, 00:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car. As long as you are happy with your car, it doesn't matter if it is really VFM or not. Which colour did you choose? Post some pics.
Old 25th May 2010, 01:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Conratulations S.Wadhwa for your Accord.

I agree with Sahil on the VFM part. I too feel each and every Honda car sold in India is overpriced.

In comparison to the Accord the Superb feels like atleast 10lakh rupees more expensive and has genuinely good equipment list unlike the Accord which has a big clutter of buttons on the central console but basic safety equipment expected from a 20lakh+ rupees car like ESP and TCS missing.

I Agree Honda Accord is very comfortable and spacious car, for someone who is just looking for comfortable drive won't be much disappointed if he picked an Accord over E-class. The Accord though is not a match to the driving pleasure.

I was reading the June edition of the Autocar India today, this time again they have a 20l Rupee sedans shootout, just like every time the Accord is humiliated again.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th May 2010 at 01:05.
Old 25th May 2010, 04:55   #12
BHPian

Congrats......and this from a aggressive skoda driver . Enjoy your Honda.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:42   #13
BHPian

Congrats on the Accord.The engine is a real gem and loves to rev high.It is boringly efficient, if you know what I mean.

However, the accord definitely isn't "Superb value for money"(pun intented).I am certain that you have'nt sampled the Superb.Many features on the Superb would shame cars which are a whole segment up.And if it is interior room and comfort you are talking about then the Superb has them all licked.I understand many people's fears about going in for a Skoda, but with a couple of big launches lined up in the near future, things are improving I hear.How much?Only time will tell.(No, I'm not a skoda fan-boy).

Do post some pics.

Last edited by octane1002 : 25th May 2010 at 09:48.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:10   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So am doing that. Hope it is of help to all those who want to buy a value for money luxury car - Accord.
Thanks for sharing your review & congratulations on the car! I do hope you keep updating this thread as the odometer climbs up.

Quote:
but surprisingly it didn't feel hard to drive and was pretty smooth and easy.
It's got very light controls, yes, and is a breeze to drive (despite the barge-like proportions!).

Quote:
While driving, I got complete peace of mind as nobody was looking or staring at me. I didn't attract any strange attention. Was smiling to myself and thanking Team-BHP for this choice.
I remember you specifically wanting a car that isn't attention grabbing.

Quote:
The back seat has a very spacious and luxurious feel to it.
Its a better backseat than even the E Class & 5 series.

Quote:
I was told I will get FE of 8-9 km/l - but am not sure if that is possible in Bombay traffic.
As the others have mentioned, expect 6 - 7 kpl in Bombay.

Quote:
One thing, I didn't like was that the steering wheel had no controls.
That's Honda for you. The single grouse I hold against them is their stinginess with features.

Do upload pictures! We'd love to see you & the car. Remember to drive safe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I wouldn't really term the Accord as VFM, if compared to the Superb, I would term the Honda over priced ! But thats just my personal opinion.
Depends on what your priorities are. Some people attach a price to long-term reliability & headache free ownership experience (on which Japs and more specifically, Honda & Toyota have well proven themselves), while others do to features. I am part of the former, and if I were in the market for a 20 odd lakh rupee car, only the Fortuner & Accord would be on my list. Its barely a year since the Superb has been launched, and there's already reports of failed gearboxes, air-conditioners & excessive oil consumption. Fact is, after the Octavia, no Skoda has proven itself in long-term reliability (just like most other Europeans in the market). What makes the problem bigger is the shoddy service. We need to understand that not everyone is a car guy who will keep an eye on the service center when the car goes in for a service. And yes, previous generation Superb owners have given the car a thumbs down for long-term reliability as well as frighteningly expensive parts.

Note that I do think the Superb is an outstanding car, but NOT without flaw. Ditto with the Accord. Which car is perfect in the Indian market? None. It really depends on what your priorities / needs / requirements are.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:14   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the Accord. It is indeed a best bet on your requirement. While Superb may be loaded with equipments and is a VFM car, there is simply no value tied to peace of mind, which to me Accord wins by a huge margin. Remember Accord is one of the largest selling cars along with Camry in it's segment. It's time to feel proud on your prized pocession. Happy and safe driving

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks