Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 22:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

DDiS Monster has Arrived!

It was the summer of May 2008 in Delhi when I had recently gotten promoted and was planning to buy a car. May of 2010 and Maruti Suzuki Swift LDi is cooling down (or warming up) in my garage.

Before I proceed I want to thank my Mom & Dad who helped me financially and went way over the budget just to see their son happy. This was not possible without their support and help and my first, foremost & most sincere thanks to them, they are the greatest!

The Journey so far...

There are a few things to which you say that they are just too good to be true and today was THE day when I felt that owning a Swift DDiS seems too good to be true but, it is GOOD (read A-W-E-S-O-M-E) and it is TRUE! Words cannot explain the feeling of driving back home in a car that I longed to own for soooooooooooooooooo long now.

The idea of purchasing a car came to my mind in May 2008 when I got promoted and thought that with my increased salary getting a small car (an alto maybe) should be a cakewalk. My dad refused right away telling me that it was not time yet for a new car in the house (I was driving an M800 then). I kind of argued and finally he agreed that I could buy one provided I myself pay for it and that too in one single down payment - I did not think of cars at all for the next 6-7 months.

Then came the dawn of 2009 and I, with some money saved, gathered a little confidence to again ask my dad for a car (this time a santro maybe) and he told me that my savings weren't enough for a new purchase and he would need to put his thinking cap on for arranging funds, may be ask a friend or get a loan or rob a bank (no I don't think he would've thought of this one). Ok so this meant that I had to give him some time (a month maybe) and I gladly did and did not bother him until one day I asked my girlfriend (my wife now) to elope with me.

Relax, you are still on the team-bhp forum. So now when I decided to bring my girlfriend to my place and introduced her to my dad (my mom knew beforehand that one day I would just ask her to come with me without telling her parents as they would never agree for our marriage so she kept her cool <wink>) and this was a pretty decent shocker to him. So the point I'm trying to make is that getting a new car was again out of question for another 2 months at least. Hell broke loose and it took a month to get this sorted and there was finally a social marriage arranged for us wherein both the families agreed (mine were always cool just the wife's side was the problem). However, during all this I decided to stop going to work and when I did after about a month I just did not feel like taking all that crap from my boss again so I quit ekdum filmi style by throwing papers across his desk and all. Now without a job and a marriage about a month old, car was out of the picture for a very long time. Thanks to my stars or whatever you wish to call it I got a new job within a month and I shall again take you back to the original track.

So now with a better paying job a car was an obvious demand and my dad agreed instantly however then it came down to which car to buy. My dad was now suggesting alto/santro but I now wanted nothing less than a Swift. So this meant stretching the budget from 3.5 lacs to 4.5 lacs or more. A few months went by and now with lack of funds and the year coming to an end and everybody telling me that I better get the new model I ultimately decided to let go of this until next year's beginning.

Now came 2010 when talks of Swift with the new K series engine started doing rounds and I decided to AGAIN wait for another month. Finally in the first week of February we decided that it was time to book a Swift Lxi, no Vxi, no Vxi w/abs, or Zxi maybe, how about diesel, diesel should be better, no petrol is recommended.....

In short, all the research and what not meant another month gone by and finally I booked Black Swift Vxi w/abs. The dealer quoted at least 2-3 months of wait time and after about a month I thought why not check with team-bhp to ensure that I was making the right choice. Thanks to fellow BHPians that I swapped Black Vxi w/abs with a White Swift LDi and today i.e. the 27th of May, 2010 I am a proud owner of the Swift DDiS Monster.

Thanks again guys, without your expert advise this just was not possible and this is a great team to be associated with, thanks again.

I am sure you would forgive me for not posting any pics as of now because there was a little something that had me occupied since evening, I'd brought the car home at around 4 PM.

Little Something(s) - 4 PM onwards

# Michelin XM1+ 185/70 R14 - all five
# Wheel Covers - Would get alloys with a minimum of 195s & R15 and did not want to compromise on performance for at least a year
# Fog Lamps with a separate switch
# Rear De-badged (Only the Suzuki Logo remains) and boy do I love that fat rear now!

The car is as of being driven slow and serpent-like on the roads of South Delhi and would continue to do so until the run-in period. The clutch feels sooooo smooth as compared to the Lxi (my dad's) but the gear changing is the other way round, pretty hard, and from what I've read it would smoothen by the end of first few thousand kms. The sheer power that I could unleash with that pedal gives goosebumps but have no plans to really rev it till the first 1000 kms. Turbo lag, have been reading about it for so long but could only understand it when I drove the DDiS, is something that makes the car very slow initially (I think I saw a cyclist pass by) but a little pedal to the metal compensates for more than what is lost.

Bottomline: Owning a Swift DDiS is A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2010, 02:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I asked my girlfriend (my wife now) to elope with me.

so I quit ekdum filmi style by throwing papers across his desk and all.

Quote:
# Michelin XM1+ 185/70 R14 - all five
# Rear De-badged (Only the Suzuki Logo remains) and boy do I love that fat rear now!
These two mods really make a difference. Eagerly waiting for the pics!

How did you remove the logos? DIY or shop?
Old 28th May 2010, 03:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up. Congrats on the car. As usual pics please. Drive safe.
Old 28th May 2010, 09:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How did you remove the logos? DIY or shop?
Shop, but when I saw him do it I felt I could have saved those 50 bucks.

From what I had read here one has to be extra extra careful while removing the badges, people talked about using a hot dryer and then some thread to take the badges out. But this guy, he just pulled them off, some with his bare hand and some with a sharp edged object that is usually used with paints. The glue was still stuck so he then used thinner and rubbing material to take that off. I asked him if thinner could damage the paint to which he said that thinner can't damage the original car paint and I should not bother and till today morning there isn't any mark or paint difference or anything. I hope it stays this way or I might get blood on my hands - Yes! Kill the paint shop guy.

Apart from this the guy from Ahuja's (where I got fog lamps & wheel covers installed) wanted to know why most of the BHPians get the badges off I just smiled to that
Old 28th May 2010, 10:20   #5
BHPian

So, your beast is finally here. Congratulations!!!
And happy touring weekends from now on .

Could you please let me know how much did the Michelins cost you, and the buy back value that you got for your stock rubber.

Also, I have seen in most cases that when people install wheel-caps on LXI/LDI, they do not paint the steel wheels black, as in the VDI/VXI. Does this void warranty or something?
Old 28th May 2010, 10:26   #6
BHPian

Nice Write-up Swift DDIS is sure a monster. Congratulations for your new ride.
So much filmi Drama for once i thought i am reading filmi script(no offense).
When we thrive for something and struggle to get it and finally get it, that happiness cannot be measured.

Alto / Santro -- Swift Vxi to Swift LDI for sure a better choice.
Please do upload pictures of your car am eagerly awaiting for those, specially the De-badged fat rear .
Enjoy your ride, have a happy and safe Drive

Last edited by driving_smartly : 28th May 2010 at 10:28. Reason: additions
Old 28th May 2010, 10:37   #7
BHPian

Congrats for your purchage and you would love your monster after run in period...... Turbo i addictive and it always gives you a smile ......... few good pictures as your write up would do justice to this thread......
Old 28th May 2010, 10:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Could you please let me know how much did the Michelins cost you, and the buy back value that you got for your stock rubber.

Also, I have seen in most cases that when people install wheel-caps on LXI/LDI, they do not paint the steel wheels black, as in the VDI/VXI. Does this void warranty or something?
Buy back for JK's was 1600 per tyre (its fixed as per BK Tyres if your run is below 100 kms, mine was 59 kms). New Michelins cost me 3900 per tyre so I paid 11500 net, no discount even on reference of team-bhp :(

Painting rims black was what I had planned but for some reason I'm liking the wheel caps on silver rims only and no, neither the wheel caps nor the black paint voids any warranty

Mods: Sorry if its a consecutive post

All: I shall upload the pics by today without fail but only by night as I'll be in office till evening

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th May 2010 at 13:13.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:14   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your fine buy,fine69.
please tell us about the dealer experience.
Good to know you changed your tyres,any difference in ride?the buy back on your tyres was pretty good man,doubt if I'll get such a buy back in chennai.
Waiting for an auspicious day to book my swift and soon join the S-W-I-F-T club.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey dude , CONGRATS.
I have been following your other posts and thread also , and now finally your ownership thread, cool !
So how much discount finally you managed to get with the big shot contacts :-)
Post pics man, we are all waiting for those .
Cheers
And drive safe.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
please tell us about the dealer experience.
I wanted to write about the dealer experience but thanks to my dad that we got some extra-special treatment and the head of sales was running around trying to get things done. I just had to sign a few papers and drink coffee. I mean there wasn't anything else at all that I did. I just had the necessary documents like ID/Address etc. proofs ready and rest everything was taken care of by dad - I just can't thank him enough.

The car was ready within 2 hours of our reaching there and all I did was pretty much sit there. My wife was bored as hell and my younger brother wanted to kill me for dragging him along

Preparation for Crushing Lemons under Car Tyres

So everybody was getting ready to get the car and my mom comes up to me and says, "Here you have 4 lemons. Now when the guy over there hands over the car to you and you are on the driver's seat you must these in front of all 4 tyres and crush them as you accelerate". I reply back, "Ma please explain this to Jyoti (wife). I don't think I'd even remember this in all the excitement".

So my mom goes to Jyoti and says, "Here you have 4 lemons. Now when the guy over there hands over the car to Vikram (me) and he's on the driver's seat you must..." I intervene, "...serve 2 glasses of Shikanji (Lemon Juice) to me and that guy!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
So how much discount finally you managed to get with the big shot contacts :-)
Post pics man, we are all waiting for those .
Cheers
And drive safe.
Well it cost us 5.01 On-road, Gurgaon. Smiley for Dad

As for pics I'm sitting in office right now and can't get out till evening. So first thing I'm going to do once back home is take out the camera and get clicking.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th May 2010 at 13:15. Reason: Please read the note in your post very carefully, thanks
Old 28th May 2010, 13:14   #12
BHPian

^^ Well you have managed a great deal there!
As per the details i have collected form the showrooms in Hyderabad, it is going to cost me 5.82 lacs here. The LXI will even cost more here that the price you have paid for your LDI.
Old 28th May 2010, 13:14   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your new monster!! Be nice to her in the run-in period. After that, drive it like you stole it ..
Old 28th May 2010, 14:23   #14
BHPian

Congratz buddy!

Ur story has all the makings of a bollywood movie with a sequel
Do put some pics
Old 28th May 2010, 14:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from this the guy from Ahuja's (where I got fog lamps & wheel covers installed) wanted to know why most of the BHPians get the badges off I just smiled to that

Tell him, we at TBHP prefer sleepers

Congrats on the car, wait till 1st service is over, you will always stay in the power band

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
^^ Well you have managed a great deal there!
As per the details i have collected form the showrooms in Hyderabad, it is going to cost me 5.82 lacs here. The LXI will even cost more here that the price you have paid for your LDI.
I think NCR has lesser tax.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks