Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 23:10   #46
Joy
BHPian

First, Joy congratulates Sedate for his new car.
Second, Joy urges Sedate to update the review (It is really a nice and refreshing read).
Third, Joy asks Sedate, about any FE and After Sales Service updates as because Joy is currently facing a dilemma between Ford Figo and Chevy Beat?

Thanks.

Last edited by Joy : 31st August 2010 at 23:11.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:36   #47
BHPian

A day at Ford ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
First, Joy congratulates Sedate for his new car.
Second, Joy urges Sedate to update the review (It is really a nice and refreshing read).
Third, Joy asks Sedate, about any FE and After Sales Service updates as because Joy is currently facing a dilemma between Ford Figo and Chevy Beat?

Thanks.
Joy, I enjoyed it

Here you go!

It was a wonderful afternoon! Phone rang and on the other end it was a sweet FORD lady. She wanted sedate to service his car! Sedate thought - Good, after all its free service! The lady fixed the appointment for August 31st and promised that a driver will come and pick up the car!

The fine morning of August 31st saw Sedate dashing in his brand new(yeah 3 month old new!) car. He was attacking the 60 degree curves at 80kmph! The deserted new roads to his office was like a super highway. Sedate was like the man in Indica drivetech4 ad!

Power with full control! This is a car that delivers that!

It was on a steep climb that Sedate stopped to ogle a lady. AC was on! Gear was in first slot. And there where some noise from engine when Sedate was releasing the clutch! Damn! They call it knocking! A car knocking in first gear! Sedate turned the AC off! No sound! No knock!

Truely power comes at heights! Reev the engine and you have power!

Just like knock, the door will be opened!

Low power at low rpm helps in moving slowly(crawling) at b2b(bumper to bumper) traffic

So finally after knock, and turning off the AC, Sedate reached office on time! 8.45am was the time promised by the sweet lady to have the driver pick my beast.

And the entire day went off without the driver taking my beast away!

Promises are meant to be broken! At least in this case!

Days passed and no communication!

Sedate shoots a mail and there come the call apologizing! The usual "drivers where on leave" excuse! Sedate thinks that the girl at call center need to learn some new rebuttals.

A service was scheduled for Sep 6th and an offer to send driver again which Sedate flatly refused. He agreed on the date and offered to drop the beast at service center! There comes the promise from sweet lady that she will do "quick service" and it will take hardly 3 hours!

Delighted Sedate took the bait and booked it! Now he need to be at the SS at 8.45 am!

He did reach there on Sep 6th! and that too at 8.30!

Came the security guard asking to move the vehicle to a particular spot!

Sedate was astonished! - No good morning, no pleasantries, no requests, just commands!

A relationship starts on a low note is hard to be brought up! When will automotive companies learn this! When ever a customer enters a service station, his mode gets affected by a lot of elements! A way (cost effective way) of elevating the mood is a tough guy wishing you good morning!

That went well and sedate leisurely sat in the car! No response, no one came to him and the others parked the car and went in and started filling slips!

OMG! Booking service is nothing! Thought Sedate. He quickly got out and stood in queue! And finally filled the form and submitted it!

Sweet lady had asked Sedate to see "NIBU(name changed)". Sedate searched for nibu and found one! Nibu asked Sedate to wait for sometime in coffee shop(where no coffee was served! I think it got its name because it had a coffee machine!)

At 9.25 Sedate was asked to accompany to the vehicle! And there starts the real episode!

Sedate was asked about the mileage and he told it as 12 kmpl.

Balance to follow soon!
Old 7th September 2010, 15:40   #48
BHPian

DIY on FIGO

You get VFM car! But not VFM accessories! That`s about Ford Figo!

A car antenna- just the screw in type costs Rs.600/-

An USB extension - Just shell out Rs.1100/- for the luxury!

And Sedate was really horrified by seeing the quality of the cable! Sedate started his DIY and finally made his stereo play from USB!!!

Eureka!!! Photos and details about the DIY soon!
Old 7th September 2010, 22:55   #49
BHPian

Play with Pride

The 2$ USB extension cable for Ford Figo Zxi and Titanium(dont know about EXI and LXI)

Following is the photo log on a DIY of Figo USB extension cable. Ford is not providing VFM accessories. They are selling their USB extension cable for Rs. 1100/- which is not justified by any economics!

Things needed -

USB Extension cable - Male to Female - 1 - Rs. 35/-
Plugs(available in electronics connectors store) - 5 - Rs. 20/-
Electrical insulation - 1 - Rs.10/- (I got this free with Figo just like Captain Slow got scissors with black donkey!)

Just put the plug to the leads in back side of stereo. The small plugs are a direct press fit! Make sure you insulate each plug to avoid any short circuit.

The ford audio manual has the pin configuration! It also has a diagram on pin configuration!

Total cost - Rs. 65/-

GO buy an 8GB usb for your MP3`s with the saved 1000 bucks!

Dont forget to treat yourself with a nice serving of food after work! After all its one novel way of protesting against "ill" priced accessories!

If someone is threatening about loss of warranty, please note that USB is an universal standard and it cannot be monopolized. Extension cables has a standard and regular short circuit prevention need to be ensured at equipment side(the ford stereo). So legally you can connect any non power generating source to USB port, whether it is on backside or on front side!

I have a working usb port extended! If trying this on your HU, the risk is solely yours. What is there to lose? Anyways we will have the next best HU once vitamin M starts building up!
Attached Thumbnails
An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00829-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00832-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00833-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00834-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00835-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00836-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00837-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00839-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00840-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00842-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00843-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00845-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00847-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00848-large.jpg  

An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate-dsc00856-large.jpg  

Sedate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2010, 23:14   #50

Incredible writing style, even the wife screaming from the back sides couldn't stop the Zam's from readings till the ends.
Congratulations Sedate. Figo seems like a wonderful car and only if the dealership was a lot more sensitive to their customers, this car would take Ford very close to where they aspire to be in the Indian market. I seriously hope someone from Ford (India or wherever it matters to make a difference) is reading this thread.
Also, the DIY for the USB cable is going to be very handy for lots of us. Thank you.
Old 7th September 2010, 23:15   #51
Joy
BHPian

Great DIY. Congrats.

Please complete the A.S.S. report asap.
Old 8th September 2010, 10:36   #52
BHPian

Is this mod possible for a Fiesta 1.6S (July 2010)?
I see nothing like USB mentioned on Figo's headunit. So, is the case for Fiesta.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:31   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Joy, I enjoyed it

A relationship starts on a low note is hard to be brought up! When will automotive companies learn this! When ever a customer enters a service station, his mode gets affected by a lot of elements! A way (cost effective way) of elevating the mood is a tough guy wishing you good morning!
+1 to that
Infact, when i took my Punto for the Fiat monsoon Camp in Pune last month, I was so surprised by the courteous inquiry and the crisp salute by the security guard, i literally turned back to check if the owner of the showroom was behind my car..

Quote:
Balance to follow soon!
Awaiting the balance...
Old 8th September 2010, 14:59   #54

Sedate, Looks like a good job. But man, look at the mess you have done with your wiring harness. Once you disturb the electrical settings, things can go horribly wrong. Especially with your Engine Module. Watch out buddy. I firmly believe in buying approved products as they come with warranty. I would rather have a sumptuous meal at home and not be penny wise.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Could you point out the messy bit? I for one could not see it except that the photos show the factory wiring as it comes and the USB cable thimbles properly insulated and connected.

BTW it is the auto company that is being pound foolish by skimping on a connecting cable for a feature that already exists in the HU. As for approved products the OP has already pointed out that the cable being provided was exorbitantly priced and besides that the less we speak of the quality of work that gets done at the dealers accessories departments the better it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hook View Post
Sedate, Looks like a good job. But man, look at the mess you have done with your wiring harness. Once you disturb the electrical settings, things can go horribly wrong. Especially with your Engine Module. Watch out buddy. I firmly believe in buying approved products as they come with warranty. I would rather have a sumptuous meal at home and not be penny wise.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hook View Post
Hi Dr.Hook,

This involves no cutting or soldering! Its just like plugging a power cord to a socket! And the funny thing is even if you short circuit all those points(in the usb socket) your HU shouldn't get fried(at least technically it shouldn't - please dont try this on you HU)!

Its +-5V with less than 100 mA that we are talking about! No harm was done to any wiring harness! Just addition of a small cable as an extra part!

This is just a plug and play extension! Remove it when ever you feel like getting a FORD APPROVED VFM extension cord.

PS :- I too love home food!
Old 8th September 2010, 19:58   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Is this mod possible for a Fiesta 1.6S (July 2010)?
I see nothing like USB mentioned on Figo's headunit. So, is the case for Fiesta.
Please see the audio guide provided with fiesta. Normally the details will be on the last pages(technical specifications).

The easiest thing will be to ask the service center guy whether you can make the HU to play USB. If they say you can, then this DIY will work for your HU.
Old 8th September 2010, 20:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Great DIY. Congrats.

Please complete the A.S.S. report asap.
The SA guy was small but smart! He took Sedate to the car and noted down all the details like fuel, odo reading and sort of things.

He stated asking sedate about problem!

A masked crackling noise at drivers right ear!
The famous squeak from left/right back!
A small and masked rattle from instrument cluster!
Braking seems to be not in straight line!
Check and update the on board computer with latest firmware/updates
The headlight leveling switch seems to be not working!
The roof light is misaligned and switch is moves like an old mans tooth!
ABS light not turning on when ABS is active!

He wrote down everything! Never hesitated to note down anything.

Included the extra observation as tires are filled with nitrogen!

He asked Sedate to wait in car for a test driver to come and have a drive!

Test driver took the car and braked at about 80 kmph. The car stood in straight line in all the three hard braking!

Good! And they came back to the service center!

Time of delivery - 3 PM on paper and 2.30 if everything works fine! Duh!

Sedate left half minded!

Balance for the next day!
Old 9th September 2010, 12:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This involves no cutting or soldering! Its just like plugging a power cord to a socket! And the funny thing is even if you short circuit all those points(in the usb socket) your HU shouldn't get fried(at least technically it shouldn't - please dont try this on you HU)!

Its +-5V with less than 100 mA that we are talking about! No harm was done to any wiring harness! Just addition of a small cable as an extra part!

This is just a plug and play extension! Remove it when ever you feel like getting a FORD APPROVED VFM extension cord.
Excellent DIY stuff, Sedate. I've been wanting to try this on my HU for quite a while now, but never got around to it. I was actually trying to locate a female connector for the Cavity C connector on the HU and couldn't. Your idea of using those lug type terminals is brilliant ! Is it a perfect fit for the pins ?

Two questions.

1 : You seem to have bought insulating sleeves for those terminals, but looks like you didn't use them and used insulating tape instead. Any reason for that ?

And 2 : What's the easiest way to remove the Head Unit without causing any scratches on the plastic ? Any specific tool that you used ?
Old 10th September 2010, 17:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Excellent DIY stuff, Sedate. I've been wanting to try this on my HU for quite a while now, but never got around to it. I was actually trying to locate a female connector for the Cavity C connector on the HU and couldn't. Your idea of using those lug type terminals is brilliant ! Is it a perfect fit for the pins ?

Two questions.

1 : You seem to have bought insulating sleeves for those terminals, but looks like you didn't use them and used insulating tape instead. Any reason for that ?

And 2 : What's the easiest way to remove the Head Unit without causing any scratches on the plastic ? Any specific tool that you used ?
Yes the lugs are a perfect fit. I think the connector should be available! But you need to try each one to find a perfect fit which is almost impossible unless you own an electronics shop or is very familiar with them.

I actually got two size of plugs(please see the pic). The sleeves where only available for the big plugs. The small plugs where a real press fit for the HU terminals. So went for them and insulated them with electrical insulator tape.

I got HU removed by service center itself. I asked them not to disconnect any wire and just to pull out the HU out of its locking mechanism! I think that is the safest method!

The HU can be removed using the double DIN removing tool(all car accessory shop has one). It is just a small latch that holds it in a socket.

Happy DIY!

Most Viewed