Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 17:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Yes the lugs are a perfect fit. I think the connector should be available! But you need to try each one to find a perfect fit which is almost impossible unless you own an electronics shop or is very familiar with them.

I actually got two size of plugs(please see the pic). The sleeves where only available for the big plugs. The small plugs where a real press fit for the HU terminals. So went for them and insulated them with electrical insulator tape.
Hooray ! I managed to reproduce your DIY successfully. Thanks for the idea.

Even I bought terminals of 2 different sizes since I wasn't certain which one would be the correct fit, and in the end it was the smaller ones which were the right size . I also ended up having to throw away one USB extender cable. After cutting off one end I realized that it didn't have a shield, tried with just the 4 wires and it didn't work. So went and bought another one with shield. (Come to think of it, the reason why the first one didn't work could have been a reversal of the D+ / D- terminals. I had the same problem in the second cable also and had to interchange the White and Green wires).

I did a small improvement on the insulation tape part. Used heat-shrinkable sleeve as the insulation - heat it with a soldering iron and it shrinks to the exact shape of the terminal, so looks much cleaner.
Quote:
I got HU removed by service center itself. I asked them not to disconnect any wire and just to pull out the HU out of its locking mechanism! I think that is the safest method!

The HU can be removed using the double DIN removing tool(all car accessory shop has one). It is just a small latch that holds it in a socket.

Happy DIY!
Was too lazy to go to the workshop or a stereo shop, so cut up an old steel clothes-hanger and bent it to create 2 U shaped pieces to improvise as a removal tool. Worked fine, and now I have a 100 Rupee USB cable

Thanks once again, Sedate.
Old 18th September 2010, 22:11   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Hooray ! I managed to reproduce your DIY successfully. Thanks for the idea.

Even I bought terminals of 2 different sizes since I wasn't certain which one would be the correct fit, and in the end it was the smaller ones which were the right size . I also ended up having to throw away one USB extender cable. After cutting off one end I realized that it didn't have a shield, tried with just the 4 wires and it didn't work. So went and bought another one with shield. (Come to think of it, the reason why the first one didn't work could have been a reversal of the D+ / D- terminals. I had the same problem in the second cable also and had to interchange the White and Green wires).

I did a small improvement on the insulation tape part. Used heat-shrinkable sleeve as the insulation - heat it with a soldering iron and it shrinks to the exact shape of the terminal, so looks much cleaner.

Was too lazy to go to the workshop or a stereo shop, so cut up an old steel clothes-hanger and bent it to create 2 U shaped pieces to improvise as a removal tool. Worked fine, and now I have a 100 Rupee USB cable

Thanks once again, Sedate.
Congrats!
The mental satisfaction out of a DIY is priceless!
and the mental satisfaction out of not spending Rs.1200 for such a simple cable is just equivalent to priceless!

Let the USB rock!
Old 25th November 2010, 16:07   #63
BHPian

V Kool K-37 Review

Has been waiting for the sun to shower those infra red rays! Finally got some sunlight for one full day! And Sedate is writing review for the V Kool K-37 film on side and back of Car

The sun film work was done by V-Kool authorised person in Cochin(Marson) through Carnation!

I always thought VKOOL is expensive. So thought of settling for 3M. But the Carnation representative(not disclosing name for privacy) enlightened me. He pointed me to VKOOL and I took the vfm K-37 film.

And I have just one word for the entire work :- This is PERFECT!

And V KOOL - They really cool! Yes, they are the real sun control film!

Impressive cooling. When you place your hand against sun light and behind the film, the difference is really sensed. I love this! It is keeping the cabin cool and also looks cool!

More than the sun film, it is the cleanliness and the professional attitude of these people makes me go to them again! I have seen may photos of sun film installation, but have never seen and installation done in a "dust controlled" room! Yes it is a completely closed room, where installers even dont wear footwear. Almost all the VKOOL films where sticked on shops front glass so that picking the right shade is always easy.

If you are going in for a sunfilm, please go for VKOOL. They have vfm options like K-37!

This is Rs.5k well spend! I am one delighted cutomer!

Thank you VKOOL Cochin(Marson) and Thank you Carnation for getting it done for me!

Carnation review will follow after the second paint protective coating(3M) and fixing of some good fog lamps (and if possible an extra horn)!

Will be doing it next week or the week after next!
Old 25th November 2010, 16:11   #64
BHPian

Figo 1.2L 3000+ km review

Awesome!

Except for masked rattle from roof and from instrument console, the car is simply making me drive more and more!

Great ergonomics, not so bad mileage(13+ kmpl - AC always 3-4 gear mostly), good comfort!

Ford is yet to give me my warranty card/paper/certificate!
Old 1st January 2011, 13:03   #65
BHPian

Re: An Tarbh – Diamond White Ford Figo 1.2 L Titanium of Sedate

Sedate ,
Nice review till now .I enjoyed reading it.One request-Can you write my english exam . About the USB -Why not you put it into the glove box?It will be safer for your I pods and pen drives from prying eyes.
Happy new year.
Dive safe
Sreehari
Old 1st January 2011, 23:40   #66
BHPian

Unique narrative style, Sedate. Really enjoyed reading that Figo review of yours. Quite humorous, I must say. And that USB thing is such a neat "jugaad", something at which we, Indians are really good at.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:03   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Sedate ,
Nice review till now .I enjoyed reading it.One request-Can you write my english exam . About the USB -Why not you put it into the glove box?It will be safer for your I pods and pen drives from prying eyes.
Happy new year.
Dive safe
Sreehari
Darn- I still dont know how I did my graduation!
The usb is actually inside the glove box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Unique narrative style, Sedate. Really enjoyed reading that Figo review of yours. Quite humorous, I must say. And that USB thing is such a neat "jugaad", something at which we, Indians are really good at.
Cant stand the price quoted by Ford for just 1 meter length copper cable and two sockets!

They can charge premium, but 20 times the cost of manufacturing is day light robbery by any standard!

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th January 2011 at 11:57. Reason: Back to Back posts not allowed. Wait for 20 minutes before making your next post or use EDIT button
Old 13th January 2011, 10:16   #68
BHPian

Joined the MudFlap broken Figo Club!

Replaced the mud flap. Scheduled the service for the replacements/extra parts that need to be added.

Driver came and picked up the car for service. Waiting for Service Advisors call

Issues are : -

A springy sound when turning the steering when stationary

As usual the squeaky sound from back right seat part - Gemi`s solution didn't solve it. Neither did first service.

Immense rattles from instrument console. Seems like wiring harness is hitting the plastic parts in dashboard.

And the usual replacement.

Kilometers done : 3947

Waiting to write a clean service experience!
Old 13th January 2011, 11:28   #69
BHPian

For the rear seat rattle, try this-

First clean and then apply some lubricant to the door beadings. I had the exact same problem with my Fiesta and this is how the service center fixed it. Do it on all doors and you would surely have a much more quiet car. Do post if it works. I am sure it would.

Although the rattle in no way sounds rubber-y, this is how to stop it.

I am pretty sure this would work.
Old 29th January 2011, 18:29   #70
sun
BHPian

Re: V Kool K-37 Review

Quote:
If you are going in for a sunfilm, please go for VKOOL. They have vfm options like K-37!

This is Rs.5k well spend! I am one delighted cutomer!
Can you post a pic of the car with sunfilm in the sun ? Just to see the V kool film
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:16   #71
BHPian

Got the USB cable ready for Rs. 40/- (30 for cable, 10 for 5 small thimbles). Now tomorrow, I get the A.S.S to take out the HU. Wish I could do it myself and get it over with now. Only if I had a picture of the removal tool and the locking mechanism. Will try to get those pics here so anybody else going for the DIY has it easy.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Got the USB cable ready for Rs. 40/- (30 for cable, 10 for 5 small thimbles). Now tomorrow, I get the A.S.S to take out the HU. Wish I could do it myself and get it over with now. Only if I had a picture of the removal tool and the locking mechanism. Will try to get those pics here so anybody else going for the DIY has it easy.
Hope u managed to get the pics! How is it functioning?
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:16   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hope u managed to get the pics! How is it functioning?
Its working fine with 8Gb drives, the pics are in this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2232137. I have not tested the limits with number of folders and songs that has been reported by others.
Old 1st March 2011, 22:04   #74
BHPian

I am looking forward to buy the Figo 1.2 titanium. For 4.15L . Reviews specially on the engine are needed.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:13   #75
BHPian

After a long break finally had a good service from a dealer in Kochi!
A completely satisfied service even if I felt a bit robbed.

Did a complete service and an under body 3M 5 year warranty coating.

Replaced the front mudflaps with the "sparco" Chinese rubber flaps. I had had my time of replacing 3 mud flaps.

Did the complete AC check, a gear bush replacement(500 rupee for simple rubber thingee?) and engine oil replacement.

Car runs smooth as always. Love the sound and the driving experience.

Most Viewed