Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2010, 23:39   #211
BHPian

Thanks Poloman for the info!
Anyways, booked Polo, so shall stick to it till Aug`10. Lets see what happens, but I am really impressed with the car even though its less in features, after all love is blind !!!
Lets see what turns out! Your posts are quite informative. Keep up the good work
Old 27th June 2010, 02:01   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay-JS View Post
And recently when I was at the showroom, I saw a polo floor mat which had a good amount of padding in the area where the foot rests (Only that portion had double thickness). I felt that the padding is added on purpose after the feedback from the customers regarding the high clutch position. Or probably the padding was always there and I didn't observe.

Please clarify.
This padding is always there. This is in the area where we keep our heel. Double layer is provided for the longevity of the mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Polo is not responsible for my back pain. But the seat height adjustment was giving some jerky feeling on hard braking. This was aggravating the pain.
Chetan, Any luck on the RC book?
If the seat height is increased, back support decreases since the seat angle increases. I have observed this. In the lowest position, back support is best.

I have not yet received RC card. I got a SMS from ICICI Lombard that the Insurance is dispatched.
Old 27th June 2010, 18:21   #213
Senior - BHPian

Went for a refill today. The car took in 34.21 liters. The tripmeter read 470Km. So the mileage returned is a very healthy 13.73kmpl. This with 76:25 city/Highway usage. I am highly impressed with the figures which is matching the MID.
Old 27th June 2010, 19:18   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
This padding is always there. This is in the area where we keep our heel. Double layer is provided for the longevity of the mat.
So, in that case, is it still required to use 2 floor mats to reach the clutch easily?

Quote:
Went for a refill today. The car took in 34.21 liters. The tripmeter read 470Km. So the mileage returned is a very healthy 13.73kmpl. This with 76:25 city/Highway usage. I am highly impressed with the figures which is matching the MID.
Good figures poloman. I am assuming the figures are with the AC on. Even otherwise, the figures are good considering the car is still new.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:42   #215
Senior - BHPian

Vinay the figures are with 75% A/C. The clutch issue is highly subjective and will be prominent for the people who are not used to cars with such type of arrangement.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:08   #216
Senior - BHPian

The RC smartcard has arrived. As usual with lot of address errors. Also Polo is mentioned as a saloon ..!!
Old 30th June 2010, 19:03   #217
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The RC smartcard has arrived. As usual with lot of address errors. Also Polo is mentioned as a saloon ..!!
Even my figo was mentioned as Sedan in the paper RC. I think there is no classification as hatchback.
Old 12th July 2010, 01:14   #218
Senior - BHPian

I have come back from my first long drive in Polo.A total of 1250Km in 3 days ..and the impression is absolutely fantastic. This car is built for the highways.Excellent dynamics and mileage.
Bangalore>>Salem>>Kovai>>Palakkad>>Thrissur>>Home
504Km,5 people, Mileage 15.8
Max speed: 130Kmph and I setled for a cruising speed of 90-110Kmph
The Polo some how loves Kerala roads and in one of the drives of around 75Kms in Thrissur, I got an astonding mileage of 18.6
Return
Thrissur Palakkad road is in absolute bad condition so I decided to avoid Thrissur during return journey and took Ottapalam-Palakkad route.
Home>>Palakkad>>Kovai>>Salem>>Bangalore
497Km, 3 People, Mileage: 17.1
Reduced the cruising speed to 80-90Kmph in night.
Everyone in my family enjoyed the pleasant and comfortable driving experience in Polo.While at home performed Pooja for the car at Guruvayur temple.

Also I had a terrible experience on road near Salem during the onward journey. I got to see in first hand how bad dynamics of a car can spell doom. I was cruising at around 90Kmph on the left lane and a TNSTC bus was in the right lane at around same speed around 30m behind me. A Tata sumo Grande approached us from the back at astonishing speed and the driver tried to do a quick maneuver between the bus and Polo. But the speed and the vehicle momentum was too much for him and he screeched the brakes. I could not believe what I saw in my rear view mirror. The Sumo violently oscillated like a kite caught in the winds,took a 180 degree turn and went in the opposite direction. Luckily he was able to get to a halt with out toppling and getting in the path of the bus. We were also lucky not to get rear ended by the rampaging giant.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:13   #219
BHPian

poloman, a close one there.These maniacs never realize the car potential and drive accordingly. The safe speed in a Sumo is 80 and not anything more.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:42   #220
Senior - BHPian

gopikb, a close call indeed. On the highways, I always get frustrated seeing people pushing their cars beyond their limits. Maruit 800s, Altos etc getting blatsed over 120. Massive SUVs cutting lanes like bikes and so on..No idea, what they are trying to achieve. Law of averages always catch up and finally they end up gaining 30 minutes maximum during such long drives.
Coming back to Polo, I have completed around 2000Kms. Most of other cars would have gone for first servicing by now, But Polo does not need such favors
Also worth mention, the zero squeaks,rattles and niggles.

Last edited by poloman : 12th July 2010 at 11:46.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:49   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Almost the most worth mentioning! That is a great reference
Old 12th July 2010, 15:02   #222
Senior - BHPian

Thad, I would say Polo is a shining example of build quality. This car will impose so much confidence in you, that you start feeling, nothing can go wrong.The car would have been near perfect, if VW had plonked in a better engine.
Also few words on the A/C. As usual TN was blazing hot with outside temp at around 35C. Still inside was totally comfortable with a fan speed of 2.
Old 12th July 2010, 15:53   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Polo some how loves Kerala roads and in one of the drives of around 75Kms in Thrissur, I got an astonding mileage of 18.6
Poloman - Welcome back! Sumo's scare me more then the BTS buses in Bangalore!

Good FE!

I have noticed something similar in south canara - Roads and the curves being similar. IMHO, because of the dynamics of the car, we drive in a relaxed way, so the FE. If the dynamics are not good, we tend to apply brake more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
The safe speed in a Sumo is 80 and not anything more.
It is literally built like a match box. CG must be on it's roof rails!

Quote:
Law of averages always catch up and finally they end up gaining 30 minutes maximum during such long drives.

30 minutes saved, is nothing compared to the risk factor (of not reaching at all) !

Quality speaks - without words!!

Quote:
Thad, I would say Polo is a shining example of build quality. This car will impose so much confidence in you, that you start feeling, nothing can go wrong.The car would have been near perfect, if VW had plonked in a better engine.
Also few words on the A/C. As usual TN was blazing hot with outside temp at around 35C. Still inside was totally comfortable with a fan speed of 2.
AC is really good. I never had a problem even though I have a Black-Polo.

Why do you say so - poloman? Did the engine feel underpowered or is it the refinement, you are talking about?

Any pics to cool our mind and eyes!?
Old 12th July 2010, 16:05   #224
RGK
Senior - BHPian

German Engineering is always at its best. Enjoy your drives.
Sorry Polo - Sumo's are manufactured to reduce population in India and not to carry people. Always better to control the main axle based vehicles using gears rather than brakes.
OT- Now the other devils seen lot in roads are the Tata Ace's and Ape Piaggio's - No rules, full of passengers, opposite direction driving, min of 80kmph.
Old 12th July 2010, 16:37   #225
Senior - BHPian

Chethan, My point is more from a refinement angle. if you try to accelerate suddenly, you will hear that 3 pot roar clearly. Some will like it but most will term it similar to diesel clutter.Power is quite adequate and the car pulls effortlessly with 5 people on board.
Apologies Chetan, I too forgot the camera on the trip.

Most Viewed