Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 20:11   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I have come back from my first long drive in Polo.A total of 1250Km in 3 days ..and the impression is absolutely fantastic. This car is built for the highways.Excellent dynamics and mileage.
Bangalore>>Salem>>Kovai>>Palakkad>>Thrissur>>Home
504Km,5 people, Mileage 15.8
Max speed: 130Kmph and I setled for a cruising speed of 90-110Kmph
The Polo some how loves Kerala roads and in one of the drives of around 75Kms in Thrissur, I got an astonding mileage of 18.6
Return
Thrissur Palakkad road is in absolute bad condition so I decided to avoid Thrissur during return journey and took Ottapalam-Palakkad route.
Home>>Palakkad>>Kovai>>Salem>>Bangalore
497Km, 3 People, Mileage: 17.1
Reduced the cruising speed to 80-90Kmph in night.
Everyone in my family enjoyed the pleasant and comfortable driving experience in Polo.While at home performed Pooja for the car at Guruvayur temple.

Also I had a terrible experience on road near Salem during the onward journey. I got to see in first hand how bad dynamics of a car can spell doom. I was cruising at around 90Kmph on the left lane and a TNSTC bus was in the right lane at around same speed around 30m behind me. A Tata sumo Grande approached us from the back at astonishing speed and the driver tried to do a quick maneuver between the bus and Polo. But the speed and the vehicle momentum was too much for him and he screeched the brakes. I could not believe what I saw in my rear view mirror. The Sumo violently oscillated like a kite caught in the winds,took a 180 degree turn and went in the opposite direction. Luckily he was able to get to a halt with out toppling and getting in the path of the bus. We were also lucky not to get rear ended by the rampaging giant.
Hi PoloMan, Love the updates you give on your ownership experience with the POLO. It is really helpful to prospective buyers. I have been following your posts regularly. Thanx. BTW what I wanted to clarify was about your mention of the top speed of the polo. You have mentioned 130 Kmph however the claimed Top speed is 157 Kmph. Was it because of 5 People on board?? How was the overtaking experience on the highway? The mileage seems to be amazing for a petrol.
I have myself driven on Kerala roads from Waynad to Cochi in a santro Xing. It was 100Km of bliss and pure driving pleasure. I can imagine how a POLO must have felt.
Too bad about your highway incident though. May god save us from these crazy transport drivers. The only way to drive on our highway's is to consider all other vehicle drivers Blind fools.
Old 14th July 2010, 20:19   #257
Senior - BHPian

Comfortable driving position in Polo

In my earlier posts I had complained about the uncomfortable clutch position and seating discomfort. I would like to update that the problem is fully resolved after finding my ideal seating position. The height adjustment should be at the lowest. Seat should be comfortably pulled back and steering pulled towards you. I had driven my last trip of 1250 Km in this position and no issues for my back.In stop go traffic also I am not getting strained by the clutch as before.So this should be the ideal postion for a person of height around 5'10" and above. Chetan also is driving in the same position.
Old 18th July 2010, 13:08   #258
BHPian

Mileage

Sorry fr being offline for a while..

Yesterday i drove from Delhi To Chd.
Overall FE 17kmpl.

Special Mention - covered 105km in 5.5 km ( A strech from Karnal to Ambala).. drove at a speed of 90-100kmph with AC 100% on.

But i 'm able to get a good FE in bumper to bumper traffic..it is hardly 10kmph but then my 90% drive is in 1 or 2nd gear in delhi.
Old 18th July 2010, 13:17   #259
Senior - BHPian

Some Pictures of my Polo after a wash and eagle nanowax spray treatment. Excuse the poor qaulity pictures due to a 4MP camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-100_5515.jpg  

Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-100_5516.jpg  

Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-100_5517.jpg  

Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-100_5519.jpg  

Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-100_5518.jpg  

Last edited by poloman : 18th July 2010 at 13:20.
Old 18th July 2010, 14:53   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueensait View Post
Hi PoloMan, Love the updates you give on your ownership experience with the POLO. It is really helpful to prospective buyers. I have been following your posts regularly. Thanx. BTW what I wanted to clarify was about your mention of the top speed of the polo. You have mentioned 130 Kmph however the claimed Top speed is 157 Kmph. Was it because of 5 People on board?? How was the overtaking experience on the highway? The mileage seems to be amazing for a petrol.
I have myself driven on Kerala roads from Waynad to Cochi in a santro Xing. It was 100Km of bliss and pure driving pleasure. I can imagine how a POLO must have felt.
Too bad about your highway incident though. May god save us from these crazy transport drivers. The only way to drive on our highway's is to consider all other vehicle drivers Blind fools.
Sorry Muneem, I missed your post. The top speed of Polo will be much above 130Kmph. But I did not push the car too much with family inside. It can easily reach 150Kmph. Overtaking is smooth with some occasional reach to the gear lever for downshift.

Last edited by poloman : 18th July 2010 at 14:54.
Old 18th July 2010, 15:11   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Now we have Polo and Micra with 3 pot engine. Classic example of a 3 pot engine that I can think off is MATIZ. It had a engine life of more than 2 years - Easily!
What stopped you from thinking about the humble little Maruti 800 / Omni / Alto?
Old 18th July 2010, 23:16   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What stopped you from thinking about the humble little Maruti 800 / Omni / Alto?
Only reason I mentioned about Matiz was because, I had first hand information. I have owned Matiz for 10 Years and have driven it for 1,75,000 Kms! It's engine has a mileage of above 2L Kms (3L claimed by the company). That is - no need to even bother to open the engine for a long time! FE was also great.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:35   #263
BHPian

@ polomon , good to see the updates .
Can I request for some pics with side profile , front 3 quarter , rear 3 quarter , Tyre close up , interior dash .
Well I know that some of these are already given in your initial posts , but some more if its ok ?
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:32   #264
Senior - BHPian

After a long time I took my Zen to office. And i realize how much I missed this car. What a sea difference in the city driveability compared to Polo. I don't know why, but my back simply loves the seating position of Zen. I feel excellent support to my lumbar which is missing in Polo. Also I feel the power delivery is much smoother in Zen across the gears. I always felt lack of power in second gear of Polo. And what a refinement from the engine? VW, why did you not plonk such an engine in Polo?
Old 24th July 2010, 12:13   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a long time I took my Zen to office. And i realize how much I missed this car. What a sea difference in the city driveability compared to Polo. I don't know why, but my back simply loves the seating position of Zen. I feel excellent support to my lumbar which is missing in Polo. Also I feel the power delivery is much smoother in Zen across the gears. I always felt lack of power in second gear of Polo. And what a refinement from the engine? VW, why did you not plonk such an engine in Polo?
Poloman - May be you have to dream that you are driving your Zen all the time - while driving Polo!

Nice to see the attachment you have developed towards your car. By the way - when are you planning to move it to your native place? Don't tell me that you will move your Polo - instead!

Now, on a serious note - Did you get the water wash at the dealer place? Could you get the car serviced?

Edit: Poloman - let us meet sometime to check out on this seat position. May be, with too many adjustments, things are a bit confusing. PM/SMS me when you are free.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 24th July 2010 at 12:17.
Old 24th July 2010, 13:07   #266
Senior - BHPian

Chethan, It is true that I am highly attached to my Zen, but some of my comments are objective.In city driveability I have not found a better car than Zen. Zen will go to my native place in August.
I have not yet taken Polo to the dealer place.
Sure, We will meet some time to check out the seat adjustments.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:00   #267
Senior - BHPian

Another opportunity for Polo to munch miles. This weekend I am going to visit my native place again for some personal work. Will try to capture Polo in beautiful Kerala background this time.
Chetan/Polo owners, Any idea how to flash headlights in Polo.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:08   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It isn't the usual pull-the-stick-towards you?

It'd been quite a few years, but the only thing I remember as odd about VW controls is that Reverse position.
Old 5th August 2010, 22:05   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another opportunity for Polo to munch miles. This weekend I am going to visit my native place again for some personal work. Will try to capture Polo in beautiful Kerala background this time.

Just pull the stick towards you.

Surprised Poloman - You are asking this after driving nearly 2000 Kms! Drivers coming from the opposite direction would have cursed you!

We need some good Pics to cool us down from this shock!
Old 5th August 2010, 22:09   #270
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Chetan,In city I always drive in low beam. First time I am going to drive on highways during night. I am confused since the headlight control is on the separate rotary switch in Polo.

Last edited by poloman : 5th August 2010 at 22:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks