Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 23:05   #376

re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

I too am facing this mysterious problem with the driver side power window. I have a polo trendline 1.2L. Done about 1200kms till date and is about 2 months old. So far on 3 ocassions when the car is running, the driver side power window refused to roll down even when I activated the roll down action switch on the door. In all 3 instances, within a few minutes, the power window restored normal behaviour, though at the particular instant when I tried, it refused to respond. During this issue, I was able to control the passenger side power window normally. One another instance, Upon a cold start I faced an issue where I felt that power steering pulled to the right, I stopped the car and restarted and things became normal. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to resolve? Otherwise the car is awesome and a real treat to drive.
Old 9th February 2011, 11:09   #377
BHPian

Hi degakc,
I have not seen anyone in the forum claiming that they have got a solution for this from VW. I was at the VW workshop 2 weeks back when I told them about this problem. They did not have a ready solution. They applied some lubrication in the window mechanism and cleaned the channel on the door. But the problem reappeared once within a weeks time.
However your problem seems to be different than what we have faced. You have said that the window refuses to roll down. Our problem was with the window rolling up but not staying there. In the H/L all windows have auto roll up/down function with pinch protection. In our case it seems that the pinch protection gets activated though there is no obstruction and the window automatically rolls down when you try to roll it up.
For your problem I suggest you take your car to the VW workshop as it is a major inconvenience if the window refuses to roll down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by degakc View Post
I too am facing this mysterious problem with the driver side power window. I have a polo trendline 1.2L. Done about 1200kms till date and is about 2 months old. So far on 3 ocassions when the car is running, the driver side power window refused to roll down even when I activated the roll down action switch on the door. In all 3 instances, within a few minutes, the power window restored normal behaviour, though at the particular instant when I tried, it refused to respond. During this issue, I was able to control the passenger side power window normally. One another instance, Upon a cold start I faced an issue where I felt that power steering pulled to the right, I stopped the car and restarted and things became normal. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to resolve? Otherwise the car is awesome and a real treat to drive.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:52   #378
BHPian

Degakc- I had the exact same issue once when driving down to Pondy. I have a trendline and it had the same kind of issue as you said.

My car is also around 2 months old and is 1200 kms run :-)

I am waiting for the sundaram dealership to open so that i could drop in get a view from them
Old 9th February 2011, 14:15   #379
Senior - BHPian

Can they disable just the pinch protection feature? You could use the windows normally until they find out the problem.
Old 9th February 2011, 17:30   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Disabling safety features is probably a big no-no. Elsewhere in the world, the legal department would probably veto it.
Old 9th February 2011, 21:15   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Disabling safety features is probably a big no-no. Elsewhere in the world, the legal department would probably veto it.
Is there a pinch protection feature in the Polo Trendline versions. I guess best way would be to pinch a carrot from kitchen and try out

If any one knows about this i can spare the Carrot :-)
Old 10th February 2011, 12:30   #382
BHPian

Ditto here. Exactly the same problem of right side driver window refusing to roll down. I clocked 1200 kms 2 days back. It started working after a while (3 to 5 mins)
Old 10th February 2011, 12:45   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
However your problem seems to be different than what we have faced. You have said that the window refuses to roll down. Our problem was with the window rolling up but not staying there. In the H/L all windows have auto roll up/down function with pinch protection. In our case it seems that the pinch protection gets activated though there is no obstruction and the window automatically rolls down when you try to roll it up.
For your problem I suggest you take your car to the VW workshop as it is a major inconvenience if the window refuses to roll down..
Exactly, H/L problem is as explained. Some issue with pinch protection mechanism. Also if this happens the glass won't go in fully at the lowest position with around 10% still outside. From this position when it rolls up again, I think the pinch protection gets activated when it reaches the top. But looks like T/Ls have a different problem. My only worry is this should not end up as a major issue once the warranty period is over.
My Polo has crossed 10500Km with nothing much to update. Everything is going smoothly and this problem has not surfaced again.

Last edited by poloman : 10th February 2011 at 12:52.
Old 10th February 2011, 15:52   #384
BHPian

Poloman, Congratulations on crossing the 10K mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Exactly, H/L problem is as explained. Some issue with pinch protection mechanism. Also if this happens the glass won't go in fully at the lowest position with around 10% still outside. From this position when it rolls up again, I think the pinch protection gets activated when it reaches the top. But looks like T/Ls have a different problem. My only worry is this should not end up as a major issue once the warranty period is over.
My Polo has crossed 10500Km with nothing much to update. Everything is going smoothly and this problem has not surfaced again.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:38   #385
BHPian

IRVM Night mode issue with Polo..

I am not sure whether discussion has happened on this issue on this forum.

There is a serious flaw with design of Internal Rear View Mirror of Polo.

When you switch to night mode the covered area of IRVM shifts (lower half portion goes out of view and unwanted area in top is added). In technical terms 'Field of Vision' changes. You have to then readjust the mirror to get the correct view.

Usually, one shifts to night mode only on highways particularly when you get irritating reflection of high power lamps of vehicle following you. Many a times this happens as you are driving close to 80 kmph. While driving at that speed after dusk needs much closer and continuous attention to road in Indian conditions. (You may come across vehicles without tail lamps, pedestrians crossing, etc) Under such circumstances, one can not afford to take eyes off the road to adjust IRVM to get correct view after switching to night mode. Its dangerous to do so.

I had opportunity to drive on highway after dusk almost 6 months after my Polo arrived when I realised this problem. I thought its problem with my vehicle only. When I talked to VW helpline they did not understood the problem on phone and directed me to the service center. Going to service center means I had to take half day off at work. Which finally I did yesterday and showed the problem to Service Advisor at VW Pune. He told me that this is same with IRVMs all Polos and my mirror is no different.

I believe this is a serious design flaw and VW must make correction and replace IRVMs of all Polos.

Other Polo owners please share your viewpoint.

Modrators: If this is not in right section will you please put it in the right one. Or is it fit to begin a new thread with this?

Last edited by Dippy : 25th March 2011 at 10:45. Reason: Only two smilies per post please . Do go through the Rules. Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 10:56   #386
Senior - BHPian

Re: IRVM Night mode issue with Polo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
I am not sure whether discussion has happened on this issue on this forum.

When you switch to night mode the covered area of IRVM shifts (lower half portion goes out of view and unwanted area in top is added). In technical terms 'Field of Vision' changes. You have to then readjust the mirror to get the correct view.

Usually, one shifts to night mode only on highways particularly when you get irritating reflection of high power lamps of vehicle following you. Many a times this happens as you are driving close to 80 kmph. While driving at that speed after dusk needs much closer and continuous attention to road in Indian conditions. (You may come across vehicles without tail lamps, pedestrians crossing, etc) Under such circumstances, one can not afford to take eyes off the road to adjust IRVM to get correct view after switching to night mode. Its dangerous to do so.

I had opportunity to drive on highway after dusk almost 6 months after my Polo arrived when I realised this problem. I thought its problem with my vehicle only. When I talked to VW helpline they did not understood the problem on phone and directed me to the service center. Going to service center means I had to take half day off at work. Which finally I did yesterday and showed the problem to Service Advisor at VW Pune. He told me that this is same with IRVMs all Polos and my mirror is no different.

I believe this is a serious design flaw and VW must make correction and replace IRVMs of all Polos.

Other Polo owners please share your viewpoint.

Modrators: If this is not in right section will you please put it in the right one. Or is it fit to begin a new thread with this?
This has been mentioned earlier in the forum somewhere else and it is not only
true for Polo and Vento but for Jazz as well!
I can live with it because - when it shifts to the night mode, though the field of vision changes, I am able to see the headlights behind when the road is dark ( due to reflection I guess ) but when the road is very lighted, all I see is the rear seats etc. Then, there is no other option than adjusting the mirror manually. This is a serious flaw and I don't know if there is any easy solution.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:14   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Hi Canpush,

The rear-view mirror of the Polo is functioning correctly.

When you flip it to "night mode", you see an indirect image reflecting off the mirror off the front of the wedge-shaped glass rather than directly off the mirror in "day mode".

When you are adjusting the mirror in night mode to set the "field of vision", you are inadvertently setting it back to "day mode" but with a tilt.

If you are uncomfortable with "night mode" as a lot of people are, I suggest keeping your mirrors in "day mode" all the time.

This however may not be an option for people wearing glasses with higher powers as at night the beam of light is not diffused and overwhelms the retina, temporarily blinding the driver.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:23   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Hi Canpush,

The rear-view mirror of the Polo is functioning correctly.

When you flip it to "night mode", you see an indirect image reflecting off the mirror off the front of the wedge-shaped glass rather than directly off the mirror in "day mode".

When you are adjusting the mirror in night mode to set the "field of vision", you are inadvertently setting it back to "day mode" but with a tilt.

If you are uncomfortable with "night mode" as a lot of people are, I suggest keeping your mirrors in "day mode" all the time.

This however may not be an option for people wearing glasses with higher powers as at night the beam of light is not diffused and overwhelms the retina, temporarily blinding the driver.
Hi Nowwhat?,
The IRVM in Polo does have a problem switching from Day to Night mode. When you switch to Night mode, the angle of view changes a bit. You need to readjust the mirror to get full view of the rear.
For example - set the mirror in day mode such that the top of your mirror aligns with the top of the rear glass pane and you can see the rear seat head rests through the bottom of the mirror. Now switch to night mode and the mirror darkens. Now check the alignment of the top of the mirror carefully, you will see that instead of the top of the glass pane, you are seeing the roof line just above the rear glass and you no longer see the rear seat head rests. You would need to adjust the mirror once again to acheive similar field of view, though darkened.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:30   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Hi Nowwhat?,
The IRVM in Polo does have a problem switching from Day to Night mode. When you switch to Night mode, the angle of view changes a bit. You need to readjust the mirror to get full view of the rear.
For example - set the mirror in day mode such that the top of your mirror aligns with the top of the rear glass pane and you can see the rear seat head rests through the bottom of the mirror. Now switch to night mode and the mirror darkens. Now check the alignment of the top of the mirror carefully, you will see that instead of the top of the glass pane, you are seeing the roof line just above the rear glass and you no longer see the rear seat head rests. You would need to adjust the mirror once again to acheive similar field of view, though darkened.
Yep, that's exactly how the "night mode" works.

HowStuffWorks "How does a car's rearview mirror work when it's in the glare-res"
Old 25th March 2011, 13:57   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I think you missed my point. In the other cars there is no need to readjust the mirror after switching to Night mode. Infact the Swift user manual claerly mentions that you adjust the field of view in Day mode and switch to Night mode - the field of vision remains unchanged but it becomes dark.
However in the Polo, there is a need to readjust slightly after switching to night mode. I shall try to take a few pictures over the weekend and post them.

Most Viewed