Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 11:09   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Check out the condition of your air filter after 3 to 4 thousand kilometers.
Hi,
Is it possible to check/clean the air filter at home or it is too technical that a service center visit is necessary?
Old 7th September 2011, 18:09   #482
BHPian

Re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidzPolo View Post
Hi,
Is it possible to check/clean the air filter at home or it is too technical that a service center visit is necessary?
Must not be a tough job. But do it only if Service stn is far away.

If you are driving in dust laden environment better check Air filter every 7500 km. Else nothing to worry for 15000 km.
Old 8th September 2011, 12:36   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH

Must not be a tough job. But do it only if Service stn is far away.

If you are driving in dust laden environment better check Air filter every 7500 km. Else nothing to worry for 15000 km.
Although I don't drive in too much dust (comparatively) I would like to learn how to do at home. I would like to learn how to clean air filter and AC pollen filter, are there any special chemicals to clean or is it only dusting or is it only water soaking and cleaning ?
Old 15th September 2011, 21:57   #484
Senior - BHPian

My Polo has crossed 17500Km. Nothing much to update but for a nagging problem of wipers leaving mark on the windscreen.This is some thing like fogging and will be cleared in 2-3 seconds. but in those 2-3 seconds the visibility is very poor. Does this means that wiper blades are at end of life? Has any one replaced wiper blades on Polo?
Old 16th September 2011, 02:10   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

It could be that you have got a greasy layer on your glass. Even car polish can cause such an effect. Try a good glass cleaner and polish hard, preferably with a microfibre cloth, and preferably-preferably with a microfibre cloth that is meant for glass and doesn't leave lint.

Having said that, I think that blades should be replaced annually on any car --- but, you still have to get the grease off the glass, or your new blades will disappoint you through no fault of their own.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 08:50   #486
Senior - BHPian

I was also suspecting the same and cleaned the glass as well as wiper blades thoroughly with Colin. Even I clayed the glass.The fogging has only increased.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:12   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
My Polo has crossed 17500Km. Nothing much to update but for a nagging problem of wipers leaving mark on the windscreen.This is some thing like fogging and will be cleared in 2-3 seconds. but in those 2-3 seconds the visibility is very poor. Does this means that wiper blades are at end of life? Has any one replaced wiper blades on Polo?
Quote:
I was also suspecting the same and cleaned the glass as well as wiper blades thoroughly with Colin. Even I clayed the glass.The fogging has only increased.
We faced similar issues with our windscreens and since we realised that the stains got worse after we used Glass Science Rain Clear, which we bought online from Autofresh, we wrote to them and got an immediate response apologizing for the inconvenience and requesting us to take our car to CarzSpa, their nearest detailing outlet, which is right next to where we live in Thane, for a complimentary Windscreen Treatment.

We took our car and Rain Clear to CarzSpa who confirmed that a lot of impurities were firmly deposited on the windscreen. They initially used a clay bar before using a DA polisher with some compound. In about 2 hours, both front and rear windscreens looked like new, completely crystal clear.

We were also informed by the owner of AutoFresh, that a particular batch of the product may have issues and requested us to ship it back to them. They promised to get back to us in a weeks time after getting a response from Glass Science whom they have contacted.

We took the car for a drive at night and amazingly, under certain light conditions, the windscreens were just not visible. The wipers too worked smoothly and extremely well unlike previously, where there was a lot of wiper judder and they were hardly effective.

I also suspect the wiper fluid used by the VW dealer as well as the wiper blades to be of inferior quality as a lot of VW owners are complaining of stained and foggy windscreen issues.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:27   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
I also suspect the wiper fluid used by the VW dealer as well as the wiper blades to be of inferior quality as a lot of VW owners are complaining of stained and foggy windscreen issues.
I think you have rightly identified the culprit. The fogging increased after the first service when they refilled the wiper fluid. I used this to clean the windscreen extensively during muddy conditions. It is more like foam than like a liquid, also with a pungent smell.

Last edited by poloman : 16th September 2011 at 15:31.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:47   #489
BHPian

Quote:
I think you have rightly identified the culprit. The fogging increased after the first service when they refilled the wiper fluid. I used this to clean the windscreen extensively during muddy conditions. It is more like foam than like a liquid, also with a pungent smell.
Ditto, the strong pungent smell of chlorine or ammonia.

I realised the wipers too were faulty after observing and making the following changes:
The rear wiper would go noiselessly one way (180 degree, Anti-clockwise) and make a juddering/rubbing sound while returing to its default position (180 degree, clockwise). I removed the rear wiper blade and fixed it the other way round. Now the issue is opposite. It makes a juddering/rubbing sound one way and comes back noiselessly to its default position.

Now I am trying to figure out, how to empty the wiper reservoir. I always use distilled water in wiper reservoir and radiator bowl. I have beed suggested to use Sonax Clear View and Sonax Glass Microfiber.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:59   #490
Senior - BHPian

I think pure distilled water is the best. Mixing additives won't help in a big way, in turn may lead to unwarranted problems like this. The fogging is so severe that you are virtually blinded for 2-3 seconds. Let me know if you find a way to drain out the reservoir. Mean while I will try to get a better glass cleaner. Colin is not helping.
Old 16th September 2011, 16:21   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think pure distilled water is the best. Mixing additives won't help in a big way, in turn may lead to unwarranted problems like this. The fogging is so severe that you are virtually blinded for 2-3 seconds. Let me know if you find a way to drain out the reservoir. Mean while I will try to get a better glass cleaner. Colin is not helping.
Hey Poloman,

I too am facing similar issue in my Jazz.
I also clayed the glass and cleaned with Colin but it is not helping.

After claying, the windscreen has become crystal clear and the night view has also improved drastically. Earlier, the wipers used to make an annoying sound which is gone as well.
But there is fogging and it is blinding the view for few seconds as you mentioned.
I was wondering if the issue is due to the glass or the wiper. May be replacing the rubber blades will solve this issue. I am not sure the wiper blades will be covered under warranty or not.
Please do keep us posted on this.
Old 16th September 2011, 16:28   #492
BHPian

Hi Poloman,
I am facing the same problem with my One month old Polo. I have spoken to VW Thane and told them about the same problem. Even the wipers make hell of noise for a new car. I will be sending the car to thier service station on Tuesday and let us see how they get this resolved. Also the wiper quality of VW is not up to the mark I am sure.
Also another problem I am noticing is the some kind of funny noise coming when I brake on the slope. Its very prominent and can be heard inside the car. Initially the car was quite silent however now the noise has increased while I am driving in 2nd or 3rd gear. I am not very expert with technical and mechanical aspects of the car, however having driven other cars I have not experienced such an issue ever. Your views please.

Last edited by aryashiv1 : 16th September 2011 at 16:33.
Old 16th September 2011, 16:48   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey Poloman,

After claying, the windscreen has become crystal clear and the night view has also improved drastically. Earlier, the wipers used to make an annoying sound which is gone as well.
But there is fogging and it is blinding the view for few seconds as you mentioned.
I was wondering if the issue is due to the glass or the wiper. May be replacing the rubber blades will solve this issue. I am not sure the wiper blades will be covered under warranty or not.
Hi Adi, My windscreen also is crystal clear and night view is excellent. But once the wiper makes a wipe as you also is experiencing a misty trail is created which clears off in a second or two and it remain crystal clear till the next wipe.This is more troubling in the night with oncoming traffic. Since both our cars are more than a year old we can suspect the wiper blades. But new owners also reporting the same is perplexing. i have cleaned my wipers with isopropyl alcohol and let me check if that helps.
aryashiv1, i think wiper noise will gradually diminish. is the noise on braking coming from suspension or brakes?
Again on the engine noise, Polo is not known to be a silent car. I think you should not worry about it too much.

Last edited by poloman : 16th September 2011 at 16:52.
Old 16th September 2011, 19:24   #494
BHPian

Quote:
I will figure out how to drain the wiper reservoir tomorrow and keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey Poloman,

Its definitely not the glass, its got to be the wipers or the washer liquid.
Wiper blades are not covered under warranty, you may try Bosch wiper blades. TeamBHP members have given a very positive review on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryashiv1 View Post
Hi Poloman,
I am facing the same problem with my One month old Polo. I have spoken to VW Thane and told them about the same problem. Even the wipers make hell of noise for a new car. I will be sending the car to thier service station on Tuesday and let us see how they get this resolved. Also the wiper quality of VW is not up to the mark I am sure.
Also another problem I am noticing is the some kind of funny noise coming when I brake on the slope. Its very prominent and can be heard inside the car. Initially the car was quite silent however now the noise has increased while I am driving in 2nd or 3rd gear. I am not very expert with technical and mechanical aspects of the car, however having driven other cars I have not experienced such an issue ever. Your views please.
Asking VW Thane to look into our cars issues is like banging your head on a solid wall All the Best.

Quote:
Hi Adi, My windscreen also is crystal clear and night view is excellent. But once the wiper makes a wipe as you also is experiencing a misty trail is created which clears off in a second or two and it remain crystal clear till the next wipe.This is more troubling in the night with oncoming traffic. Since both our cars are more than a year old we can suspect the wiper blades. But new owners also reporting the same is perplexing. i have cleaned my wipers with isopropyl alcohol and let me check if that helps.

I am going to get to the root of this problem and resolve it for sure.

aryashiv1, i think wiper noise will gradually diminish. is the noise on braking coming from suspension or brakes?
Again on the engine noise, Polo is not known to be a silent car. I think you should not worry about it too much.
The front brake discs of Polo catch rust overnight during the rains, hence the issue of wierd noises during braking as also handbrake jamming up. Those sounds will disappear in a few months. Is the cabin noise more when the AC is ON? I guess due to Polo's excellent cabin sound insulation, its engine and AC, sound very noisy, as all other sounds are shut out.

I always refer to my Polo as Polo Prowler as its very silent and Prowls like a Silent Prowler.

Last edited by Omega Man : 16th September 2011 at 19:30.
Old 16th September 2011, 20:06   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

This stuff always fixes it for me: Autoglym Glass Polish.

It's good for inside and out --- if available in India.

Although generally cleaner, London's air seems much more oily, and it was needed every few weeks. Here, I do it every few months.

I know I should use proper windscreen cleaner in the screen wash, but i pour a glug of Colin, or similar, in with the water.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks