Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 20:17   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Iso propyl alcohol experiment also failed. The haze was back with vengeance when it rained.
I am ready to change my wiper blades, but what if that is not the root cause? Polo wipers surely will cost a decent amount.
Thad, are you aware of any Autoglym Glass Polish equivalents freely available in India.Looks like the wiper blades are not gripping on to the glass hard enough and a thin layer of haze is formed in the process.

Last edited by poloman : 16th September 2011 at 20:20.
Old 17th September 2011, 00:00   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

No, sorry... I brought mine back from a London trip, and because I am such a scruff, and my car is so unclean, it lasts me a long time <Blush>

(Actually, the car may be filthy, but I insist on being able to see out of the windows)
Old 17th September 2011, 15:09   #498
BHPian

Sorry to hear that, I will figure out on how to drain the Wiper Reservoir today and post the details. If I manage to successfully drain the Wiper Reservoir, I will replace with SONAX Clear View 1:100 Concentrate 25ml for Rs.79/-only. 25ml makes 2.5 liters of Wiper Washer Fluid.

Matching Bosch Wipers for Polo are available at an affordable price.

Autoglym products are available in India at Belapur, New Mumbai. I had written to them and they promptly emailed a pricelist of their entire range of products.

Autoglym Car Glass Polish is available with them for Rs.499/- for 325ml at www.autoglym.in

Hope this helps, Cheers

(Mods, please note: I have no commercial interest in promoting the above mentioned products).

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Iso propyl alcohol experiment also failed. The haze was back with vengeance when it rained.
I am ready to change my wiper blades, but what if that is not the root cause? Polo wipers surely will cost a decent amount.
Thad, are you aware of any Autoglym Glass Polish equivalents freely available in India.Looks like the wiper blades are not gripping on to the glass hard enough and a thin layer of haze is formed in the process.
Old 18th September 2011, 00:44   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mods, please note: I have no commercial interest in promoting the above mentioned products
Neither have I --- and I suspect many of them to be overpriced, but the glass polish has always worked for me, and better than any other car glass cleaner.

The price is shocking, though and it's not much less in UK it seems (Halfords). I think I got three-for-price-of-two last time.

You do only need to use a very little, though. A bottle should last quite a long time.
Old 18th September 2011, 11:08   #500
BHPian

Tried to figure out how to drain the wiper reservoir yeaterday but failed. The wiper reservoir is set in such a way that only the top portion is visible, tried reaching from bottom but everything seems covered, not reachable from the sides as well right next to the fan belt.

Eventually decided to spray all the liquid out, took less than 3 minutes with short bursts and interval of a few seconds. Used both the front and rear nozzles. Filled it with about 3 liters of distilled water.

The liquid that came out was extremely foamy, soapy and smelt strongly of chlorine/ammonia. Went for a drive last night and used the distilled water to wiper clean the glass. All seems well as of now till I get Sonax Clear View 1:100 today, then mix it with distilled water again, fill it in after emptying the current distilled water so as to flush out any remaining old washer fluid.

Will keep you posted.
Omega Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 14:32   #501
Senior - BHPian

VW Whitefield (Apple Auto) is going to be opened soon. Fourth VW dealer in Bangalore. Expecting a relief from the suffocating premises of VW downtown.
Old 30th October 2011, 14:02   #502
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I have a small problem over here. I was washing the car and I kept my wedding ring on the dashboard. It slipped and fell in to the a/c vent shown in the picture. Now how can i take this out? Where it might have landed finally? Any chance of the ring falling out of the car if driven? If taken to service centre how big is this task for them?
Attached Thumbnails
Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update-dsc00377.jpg  

Last edited by poloman : 30th October 2011 at 14:05.
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:29   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Tried to figure out how to drain the wiper reservoir yeaterday but failed. The wiper reservoir is set in such a way that only the top portion is visible, tried reaching from bottom but everything seems covered, not reachable from the sides as well right next to the fan belt.

Eventually decided to spray all the liquid out, took less than 3 minutes with short bursts and interval of a few seconds. Used both the front and rear nozzles. Filled it with about 3 liters of distilled water.

The liquid that came out was extremely foamy, soapy and smelt strongly of chlorine/ammonia. Went for a drive last night and used the distilled water to wiper clean the glass. All seems well as of now till I get Sonax Clear View 1:100 today, then mix it with distilled water again, fill it in after emptying the current distilled water so as to flush out any remaining old washer fluid.

Will keep you posted.
Omega Man, any updates on the windshield haze issue after using Sonax 1:100 additive? Based on suggestions given here, I too opted for the same to tackle the terrible fogging & I'm yet to fully test the effectiveness of Sonax. Haven't really got many opportunities to drive (especially in the rainy nights with heavy incoming traffic) after refilling the windshield washer tank with distilled water and Sonax. Just had one chance early in the morning a few days back. As usual, windshield was fogged badly and I use the wiper once along with spraying the liquid. Then, just normal wipes (without spraying the liquid again) seemed to work well, without any fog after that. However, I think a prolonged drive under more tricky condiitons would probably tell the real effectiveness of Sonax. Anyone else have had success with this, please post.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:20   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Omega Man, any updates on the windshield haze issue after using Sonax 1:100 additive? Based on suggestions given here, I too opted for the same to tackle the terrible fogging & I'm yet to fully test the effectiveness of Sonax. Haven't really got many opportunities to drive (especially in the rainy nights with heavy incoming traffic) after refilling the windshield washer tank with distilled water and Sonax. Just had one chance early in the morning a few days back. As usual, windshield was fogged badly and I use the wiper once along with spraying the liquid. Then, just normal wipes (without spraying the liquid again) seemed to work well, without any fog after that. However, I think a prolonged drive under more tricky condiitons would probably tell the real effectiveness of Sonax. Anyone else have had success with this, please post.
Hey vw19d, After cleaning the wiper blades with a household detergent to remove any grime on them and using SONAX clear view 1:100 concentrate Windscreen Washer System, we have had no issues with haze & fogging even during the rains. In addition, we had also got a complimentary winshield treatment done thru CarzSpa. We are trying to source the heat insulation shield under the hood which is not provided in petrol Polo's. That may also help prevent fogging during the rains. Officially it costs 9k.

The paint on the new bumper which was installed just 3 months ago started bubbling and peeling off while washing. Requested the dealer to repaint it again which they have agreed. Anyone wants to see some pix of a Polo 1.6L Petrol without a front bumper?
Old 4th November 2011, 19:42   #505
Senior - BHPian

My fogging problem also got resolved. What a relief..! I was about to change my wiper blades. As a last resort I again clayed the windshield and wiper edges thoroughly. Also rubbed in some Ultimate compound on the glass. Still I was not very optimistic. Today it rained heavily. It fogged initially. I increased the wiper speed to maximum to maximise the polishing effect on the blades. Voila..! the fogging disappeared fully in less than 5 minutes.
Lessons learnt,
Never use the washer fluid supplied by VW to clean the dusty windscreen.This is having corrosive effect on wiper blades.
Don't rush in to change the wiper blades unless all options are tried out. I am sure the OEM Polo wipers with wind deflector will cost a fortune.

Unfortunately my ring is still stuck in the dashboard. Tomorrow have an appointment with SC. They are telling you may need to fully remove the dashboard and it may take a day.

Last edited by poloman : 4th November 2011 at 19:44.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 21:08   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I have a small problem over here. I was washing the car and I kept my wedding ring on the dashboard. It slipped and fell in to the a/c vent shown in the picture. Now how can i take this out? Where it might have landed finally? Any chance of the ring falling out of the car if driven? If taken to service centre how big is this task for them?
Quote:
Unfortunately my ring is still stuck in the dashboard. Tomorrow have an appointment with SC. They are telling you may need to fully remove the dashboard and it may take a day.
Please share the outcome.
After I read your post, checked with one of my friend who is working in this field, he also suggested dashboard removal, however, this is the first time he faced this query !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
... Anyone else have had success with this, please post.
Clay the windscreen followed by Sonax 1:100, no issues w.r.t. visibility after that as per my experience (of driving ~10hrs/~500kms in non-stop drizzle with approx. 45 mins. of driving in heavy rain). IMO, point to be noted here is --> Claying. Best method of cleaning windscreen, car exterior. Also, post claying, water droplets doesn't get stuck on the windscreens (can be observed on the rear windscreen).

Last edited by AvonA7 : 5th November 2011 at 21:15. Reason: edit
Old 6th November 2011, 12:48   #507
Senior - BHPian

Avon, Went to SC and did one round of investigation. Removed HU, A/c blower vents etc. No trace of the ring. Looks like it went some where deep inside. I feel I should have called the service guys straight away with out driving the car. In that case it should have been easily retrieved by removing the a/c vent.
Old 6th November 2011, 13:46   #508
BHPian

Hi Poloman.
I have a WagonR currently and i plan on upgrading it to the Volkswagen Polo (preferably the Comfortline variant). I would be opting for the TDi Engine and need a little help with the car.
Just wanted to know about the maintenance costing and if rattling sounds are an issue on the Polo. I know, my WagonR is close to 5 years and the entire dashboards shakes and produces drum beats when i drive over bumps and cracks on the road.
Volkswagen, being a premium car brand, i have huge expectations with it, and i do not want to be disappointed after buying it, especially when i have all sorts of creaking and rattling noises and other issues here and there.
If you could be kind enough to let me know bout the same, I will be very happy.
Old 6th November 2011, 18:55   #509
Senior - BHPian

contimental,
My Polo is nearing 20K km and many other Polos are there on the forum which have equal or more running. One thing you can sure with Polo is build quality. It has hardly rattled or given a niggle in the 1.5 years of ownership for me. This car is built to last. The consistent volumes(refer monthly sales thread) Polo and Vento is clocking in these hard times is I think mainly due to this.
Maintenance cost average 8K per year.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 19:50   #510
BHPian

Hi Poloman,
Thanks for your inputs. It is really a great sign that your car hasn't rattled in these months of your ownership. A lot of people are under the misconception that the Polo, being a Volkswagen is very hard on the pocket to maintain. This is the primary reason why people go back to the Tata Indica and other such cars which lack on build quality. 8k per year is definitely the same or even less than some other hatchbacks on the road today.
If driven carefully, I am sure the Polo would continue to satisfy you for many more years to come.

PS - One of my cars is a Tata Vista and I am facing a lot of issues when it comes to build quality. Lesson learnt. My next car will definitely be a German.

Last edited by DeKay : 6th November 2011 at 19:52. Reason: PS Note.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks