Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 11:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sanjay, My Polo is standing with lot of dirt,mud and grime from rains. I was not confident of using Jopasu. Will try out your technique. I have purchased a sprayer bottle yesterday. i assume results will be good if you use warm water.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:11   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Thanks Sanjay, My Polo is standing with lot of dirt,mud and grime from rains. I was not confident of using Jopasu. Will try out your technique. I have purchased a sprayer bottle yesterday. i assume results will be good if you use warm water.
Well, I can understand the initial pangs of having a new car

Never use the Jopasu duster in wet conditions...it will work only when both the duster as well as the surface is completely dry..even slight moisture content on the body or air will worsen the condition. Duster should anyway be used only on the top and side..towards the bottom, where heavy dirt/mud accumulates, it is better to have a separate wet cloth (I use old disposed of vest/banians) just to wipe off the stubborn dirt.

The overall idea is to avoid scrubbing altogether...concentrate on treating the paint surface beforehand, so that one single lateral wipe later on by a cloth will clean the surface.

I am not sure about warm water though...from what I have noticed, if you spray normal cold water on a hot bonnet, it will evaporate quickly leaving so called white water spots...going by this logic, who knows what warm water can do to the paint surface.

Apart from conserving water and other environmental concerns, the idea is to use as little water/shampoo as possible, so as to minimize the chances of water accumulation in various nooks & corners, inviting rust formation. Also, quality of water, esp in Chennai, with salt content, I am extra careful, since it has a tendency to remove the wax coating, if done frequently. A lot of course depends on conditions prevalent at your place.

I clean my vehicle myself and do not trust hired help for this. Also, in my experience, self-waxing with those liquid waxes, does not give good results apart from being time/energy consuming. Hence, I rely on professional wax polish once every 3/4 months by spending some 1000 bucks (including underbody wash/engine compartment degreasing/interior vacumming etc). I have leather seats...this I take care myself by waxing the leather every month...the buffing/polishing of the wax is left to my kids to give them some heavy excercise

Last edited by sanjayc : 11th June 2010 at 12:12.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:23   #93
Senior - BHPian

poloman, I am not sure how I missed your thread. Congrats! Your car is a beauty. This is easily the best color on a Polo. I am yet to see one in person in Chennai though. Spotted only a couple of silvers till now. You must be at peace now I guess.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:54   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
poloman, I am not sure how I missed your thread.
I am surprised! I was keenly following Poloman's dilemna, particulary during the later period, the anxiety being, wll Poloman turn into a Figoman becos of delivery issues? That would have been an irony! Finally, Poloman turned out to be the man with the polo, albeit with a large hole in the pocketNow all he should care about is to keep his polo in mint condition.
Old 11th June 2010, 15:49   #95
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I nearly became Figoman. My choice was very clear. Figo TDCI Titanium if not Polo. I miss the roomy feeling of Figo.
I still fell Polo is not that costly for a German car. To me Jazz takes that sole honor of the least VFM.
Looks like Polo is a hit in Bangalore even with delivery issues. 3-4 Polos can be spotted every day.

Last edited by poloman : 11th June 2010 at 15:55.
Old 11th June 2010, 23:08   #96
Senior - BHPian

In the night went for a short drive of 15Km with in the city. The trip mileage shows 15.4. So the car is quite capable of >17 on highways on long stretches.
I have developed some form of lower back pain in the last few days. But unable to correlate the pain to Polo seating. I did not take out the car for two days.Still there is some amount of pain.But some times I feel that the seat is little shaky on hard braking
Old 12th June 2010, 10:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

Got the first scratch

Got the first blemish on the car not from bikers but due to some very poor, thoughtless design from VW. Thanks to Sidkapur30 for bringing this to the notice of Polo owners.
The Driver side Polo wiper cannot be lifted. If you try to lift it it will scratch the bonnet paint.My blemish is around 1 inch. Sid has put up the pictures in his thread. In India lifted wipers is a sign of car being washed. All prospective and current Polo owners, Please keep this point in mind and instruct the people who wash your cars accordingly.Assume most of the Polo owners will have this problem by now.

Last edited by poloman : 12th June 2010 at 10:12.
Old 12th June 2010, 11:08   #98
BHPian

Can you please post your FE figures?
Old 12th June 2010, 12:50   #99
Senior - BHPian

Hi Joe my FE average is 13.2 for a total odo reading of 260. The drive is 80% city 20 % highway till now. The highest mileage has been 15.8, surprisingly on a late night city drive. All from MID readings. Yet to check on the tank full method.

Last edited by poloman : 12th June 2010 at 12:54.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:42   #100
BHPian

Car Cleaning

This topic is confusing me... I'm thinking of buying a Jopasu duster but then how exactly i should use it? and how much time will this activity take? is it to be done on a daily basis?
Old 12th June 2010, 14:55   #101
Senior - BHPian

Steve you can do dusting every day. This will take hardly two minutes.
Old 12th June 2010, 15:13   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I have developed some form of lower back pain in the last few days. But unable to correlate the pain to Polo seating. I did not take out the car for two days.Still there is some amount of pain.But some times I feel that the seat is little shaky on hard braking
Poloman:

Can you please clarify this a bit for me? What do you mean when you say the seat shakes a bit on hard braking? It's also not clear if you suspect the lower back pain problem due to driving in the Polo.

Thanks a ton,
Old 12th June 2010, 15:21   #103
Senior - BHPian

diffsoft, Yes some sort of jerky or shaky feeling on hard braking..!! But I tried pushing and pulling the seats when stationary. I could not find any issue. It is not very clear to me that whether this is linked to my lower back pain. Some other polo owners please comment, whether this is normal.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:48   #104
BHPian

Quote:
diffsoft, Yes some sort of jerky or shaky feeling on hard braking..!! But I tried pushing and pulling the seats when stationary. I could not find any issue. It is not very clear to me that whether this is linked to my lower back pain. Some other polo owners please comment, whether this is normal.
I have not experienced any shaky feeling on hard braking when I drove my new car from Bangalore to Mangalore. As far as lower back pain is concerned, I did have it occasionally (even before I got the Polo) but never experienced it when I drove the Polo. In fact I found the Polo driving seat very comfortable.
Old 13th June 2010, 00:31   #105
BHPian

Quote:
The seat does shake a lill fwd on hard breaking..But since 8-10 days i'm driving in a telescopic down and tilt up with seat upright minus 1 position..now its ok.. in my car if i keep the seat in the max up level position then it does shake but wen 1 level down it is ok.. Or maybe this adjustment solution is psychological..
Back ache... i dont think so.. I'm absolutely comfortable..even in long drives..

Poloman - have you bought the duster?

Most Viewed