Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2011, 12:38   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poloman's Polo has arrived, Edit: 1 year, 13025Km, First service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
My figo is about 14 months old. In 1 year its completed 2 services. Total cost for both services put together wont cross Rs2,000. Second service at 10,000KM
But then these must be free services, isnt it? Would be interesting to know when Air filter, fuel filter are changed in Figo and whats the cost. Dont think Figo will have an AC filter.

Quote:
Then yes the figo uses some cheap mineral oil which costs Rs178.00 per litre.
Service interval 10,000KM, which I feel is too much. Car has done 2,000KM after the second service and oil has started turning a little back. No way this oil will last another 8,000KM.
The mineral oil price is similar across all OEMs. But I am bit surprised, it is turning black in 2k kms, sometimes, when the original colour of oil is dark, (say red in case of castrol GTX), it may look dark after few k kms but that doesnt mean the oil has gone bad. What brand of oil do Ford use, VW uses Castrol, Mitsubishi uses Motul, and Honda Ide -Mitsui.

Quote:
I will have to change oil at 5,000KM intervals
Personally dont think 10k will be an issue on stock oil, but changing at 7-8k will ensune carbon free engine in long run. you might wana check, what service intervals ford recommends with synthetic oil. If its 15k kms, then you may get synthetic, will save you going to ASC 2-3 times a year. If you add laubour charges of 2 extra services, your oil cost is more than half recovered.

Quote:
Even if the car takes Synth oil I still feel 8,000 for service is very expensive. That too for a small hatchback.
Well, it depends, if I am to visit ASC once a year, I can justify it.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 29th May 2011 at 12:44.
Old 29th May 2011, 13:35   #422
BHPian

The main factor driving up the service cost of the Polo is the synthetic oil itself. The 8K bill for a year is pretty reasonable according to me considering the fact that the supposedly low maintenance Santro we had used to come up with 3-4K bills once in 5-6 months, and that too running on mineral oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Polo supposedly is the only car in sub 15 lac segment which is coming with a AC filter (dont know about skodas). Civic and cedia have a space for filter but there is no filter installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
But then these must be free services, isnt it? Would be interesting to know when Air filter, fuel filter are changed in Figo and whats the cost. Dont think Figo will have an AC filter.
Figo does have an AC filter which was replaced in my car during the first service for 181/- including tax.

Air filter is replaced every 20K kms. The cost is around 400/-
Fuel filter is replaced as following
Petrol → at 60K kms
Diesel → Every 30K kms.
Cost of the diesel fuel filter is around 1,300/-

Cost of spares and servicing of the Figo is definitely on the lower side compared to the Polo. But which is the car better put together? I would surely say the Polo.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 14:11   #423
Senior - BHPian

Polo is one of the best put together car in its segment.There is no doubt in that. Every one who owns the car holds it with high esteem. The one year service interval it self is a daring step from VW which no Japanese car maker in India can boast of.I did not have a single complaint with the car for the entire one year.
But the major turn off is the pre sale and after sales service. The knowledge level of dealership guys is very poor. They are poorly trained and attrition is sky high.
An simple example: there were some offers going on as a part of summer camp which were advertised in a big banner. 10% discount on VW original bluetooth kit. I was intererted to know more. But no one there had a clue on the item and told me they have to call VW to get more details.There is no sync up between the dealer and VW.
The Summer camp is going on and they never advertise or call and inform the customers about this. Only the lucky few who by chance visit the dealership could avail the services.

Agreed that the service cost of Polo is high mainly due to synthetic oil. But that is coming only to 3.3K.Even the part prices are ok. But the rest items like washing for 495, wheel balancing for 1.4K, Consumables 650/- etc are outright ridiculous. A bill of 6-7K would have been judicious.

Last edited by poloman : 29th May 2011 at 14:25.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:54   #424
Senior - BHPian

@Poloman, I agree with you on most of your post . Though, senior technicians know the cars in and out, we cant really say that about SA and normal technicians, who do service.

For the sales, I have met an idiot who claimed that 1.2 petrol can do 20km easily, because its VW, and I have also met a sales guy who knew about complete international line up of VW in detail from golf, to Scirocco, to Turan..

I agree, atleast an SMS informing cutomers about different camps can be sent to customer. In fact, both Mitsui and Honda dealers do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The one year service interval it self is a daring step from VW which no Japanese car maker in India can boast of.
Well, Mitsubishi reconmmends 20k kms/1 year service interval in case of synthetic oil.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 29th May 2011 at 14:55.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:55   #425
BHPian

My 8 year old Palio developed Power Windows problem similar to the ones mentioned here last year. The windows would stop working abruptly. Tried the service centers trice to see if they could diagnose the problem .. no one was able to do so. Got lot of reasons like Fuse, coked-off switches, faulty assembly, etc. Finally I was able to trace the problem to loose contact in wiring harness round connector near the door hinge. Spraying some contact spray worked for a few weeks before the problem resurfaced again. Looks like this is a recurring problem with many older Palios.
Old 29th May 2011, 22:08   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Polo is one of the best put together car in its segment.There is no doubt in that. Every one who owns the car holds it with high esteem. The one year service interval it self is a daring step from VW
+1, being a VW owner I feel exactly the same. Yes, there are reported cases of some serious issues, hope VW takes care within their initial warranty period and the car owners are given their car back to its original state, .i.e, with no niggles and nothing to complain about and issues rectified at the earliest with no charge to the owner.

This 01yr warranty / 15km warranty is indeed a unique one in our country. I have been asked by some of my friends who are associated with our automobile industry directly or indirectly, suggesting me to read the manual again when I told them that my car would go to first service after 1 yr/15k kms.

This is my first owned/driven car ( please note, what I mean to say is any first time driver would be stalling their car/incorrect change of gears etc in the initial 500-1000kms at least, and I am no exception), so even without any service its running fine, *touchwood*.

I have heard from my friends, colleagues that - the car will run smooth after 01st service, mileage will increase after 02nd service etc which is not the case with Polo. So, definitely something is good and right about Polo which is different and superior w.r.t. competition in Indian market in its category, IMO.

No offence to any other brand/car, this is purely my opinion about my car --> POLO.

Quote:
But the major turn off is the pre sale and after sales service. The knowledge level of dealership guys is very poor. They are poorly trained and attrition is sky high.
Exactly, a recent example (today morning) - I called up the VW helpline no. to inquire about the VW extended warranty program on POLO.

When I asked my query about the extended warranty program, I was put on hold for a minute, then the executive started telling me the VW Polo normal warranty, .i.e., 2 yrs unlimited KMs warranty, no free service, 03yrs paint warranty etc.

I had to stop the executive and repeat my query again - that I am a VW Polo owner and I am interested in knowing about the extended warranty, its conditions, price etc (in addition to the default 02 yrs warranty).

Now the shock -

CC exe: Sir, there is no extended warranty on Polo, extended warranty is only available on Jetta & Passat.

Me : Are you sure VW didn't launch the extended warranty on Polo recently ?
CC exe : Yes

Me : Are you 100% sure ? Could you please tell me your name again.
CC exe : Hello, sir your voice is breaking.

Me: May I know to whom I am talking to ?
CC exe : Yes sure, << told me his name>> and then, Sir, I`ll check with my senior and shall come back to you (noted down my contact no.)

I am yet to receive any call.

Quote:
Agreed that the service cost of Polo is high mainly due to synthetic oil. But that is coming only to 3.3K.Even the part prices are ok. But the rest items like washing for 495, wheel balancing for 1.4K, Consumables 650/- etc are outright ridiculous. A bill of 6-7K would have been judicious.
To anyone who wish to buy a Polo and hesitating due to service cost, please note the service interval is 01yr.

Remove the 1.4K+495/- = 1.9K, so it comes to 8K-1.9K = ~ 6K.
Top up with 02 ltrs of engine oil, that will save 01K more,
which is = ~6k - 01 K = ~05K in an year - come on, thats not too high!

Disclaimer : I am just an owner of Polo and no way related to VW, directly or indirectly other than being one of their many customers.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 29th May 2011 at 22:29. Reason: edit
Old 29th May 2011, 22:33   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post

Exactly, a recent example (today morning) - I called up the VW helpline no. to inquire about the VW extended warranty program.

When I asked my query about the extended warranty program, I was put on hold for a minute, then the executive started telling me the VW Polo normal warranty, .i.e., 2 yrs unlimited KMs warranty, no free service, 03yrs paint warranty etc.

I had to stop the executive and repeat my query again - that I am a VW Polo owner and I am interested in knowing about the extended warranty, its conditions, price etc (in addition to the default 02 yrs warranty).

Now the shock -

CC exe: Sir, there is no extended warranty on Polo, extended warranty is only available on Jetta & Passat.

Me : Are you sure VW didn't launch the extended warranty on Polo recently ?
CC exe : Yes

Me : Are you 100% sure ? Could you please tell me your name again.
CC exe : Hello, sir your voice is breaking.

Me: May I know to whom I am talking to ?
CC exe : Yes sure, << told me his name>> and then Sir, I`ll check with my senior and shall come back to you (noted down my contact no.)

I am yet to receive any call.

This is the problem everyone is facing. The person who is having the latest information on the car is none other than the customer. Dealer does not know what manufacturer is offering. or is pretending so.Customer care is a bunch of ignorant people who give out recorded messages.
Callbacks never exist.You have to fend on your own.
The headache for VW is going to start now.A year has passed since the launch. Polos and ventos are going to queue up for service now. VW, please understand no customer will be ready to wait for two days delivery time(as initially promised me which can even increase) for a normal service.Service had proven to be the archilles heels for many a companies in the past which enjoyed a good initial reception in the market.

Last edited by poloman : 29th May 2011 at 22:36.
Old 30th May 2011, 21:29   #428
Senior - BHPian

My AMC issue is still pending. But the dealer has orally committed that he will regularise it. Good that I got it!

By the way my Polo has crossed 21,000 Kms and going great! Recently I had removed the battery connection and parked it for a month, since I was not in station. After coming back, I just had to connect the battery and run it. Except for the jammed brake, it did not have any other issue. Touch wood!
Old 31st May 2011, 10:38   #429
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back Chethan. Your Polo might have crossed 25K milestone by now, had you not gone out of station.

My Polo has run 200Km after the service. No post service jitters. Mostly cars come out with more problems after the service than with what, when they had gone in.

Last edited by poloman : 31st May 2011 at 10:39.
Old 1st June 2011, 18:17   #430
Senior - BHPian

I went to Madhu's Tyre shop which is hardly 100m from my office for wheel alignment. I was in and out in 15 minutes. The bill came to 300Rs for which the dealer had qouted 750/- I am totally happy with the car now. There was a slight left pull( I had attributed this to the road banking) which is gone now. The car is as good or better than what was on the delivery day. Also I am noticing a improved second gear which I had mentioned in an earlier post.Do a simple test.
Slow down completely on a good sized hump. Try to accelerate quickly after going over the hump in second. Previously the car used to struggle. Now it is responding with a new found energy.
To all Polo owners in Bangalore whose first service is approaching.
If you forgo washing and go for wheel balancing and alignment in a proffesional tyre shop you can save a whopping 1K with much better results.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:54   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went to Madhu's Tyre shop which is hardly 100m from my office for wheel alignment. I was in and out in 15 minutes. The bill came to 300Rs for which the dealer had qouted 750/- I am totally happy with the car now. There was a slight left pull( I had attributed this to the road banking) which is gone now. The car is as good or better than what was on the delivery day. Also I am noticing a improved second gear which I had mentioned in an earlier post.Do a simple test.
Slow down completely on a good sized hump. Try to accelerate quickly after going over the hump in second. Previously the car used to struggle. Now it is responding with a new found energy.
To all Polo owners in Bangalore whose first service is approaching.
If you forgo washing and go for wheel balancing and alignment in a proffesional tyre shop you can save a whopping 1K with much better results.
to a certain extent. No point in getting a (regular) wash, alignment / balancing done at the dealership. But one word of caution - Car wash should be supervised. Under bonnet wash is a BIG NO, if it is not done by an experienced person. If water gets inside the ECU, expenses incurred will be around a lakh.

But considering that these things need to be done only once in a year - It gives piece-of-mind to get everything done at one place, which is competent.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 2nd June 2011 at 15:56.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:05   #432
Senior - BHPian

You won't believe Chethan, the wash at the dealership is more dangerous. They were happily directing the pressure spray in to the under bonnet region. Also I had painted the wiper bite on my Polo just before the wash. These wash guys lifted the wiper again and I had to touchup the scratch a second time. Also I am seeing big micro scratch on my hatch door. Not sure how that happened. But a run with DA polisher can remove it.
I normally do wash in a small Maruti service station near my house for 150Rs I will be near the car for the full duration giving instructions. No under bonnet wash, no lifting wiper.
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:33   #433
BHPian

Quote:
The wash at the dealership is more dangerous. They were happily directing the pressure spray in to the under bonnet region.
+100 to that! I have myself seen this happen; I had accompanied my friend and I was shocked to see that the cleaning bloke was happily spraying water with a jet in the engine bay of a customer car!

Even the battery was not spared!

Note to all: Please supervise the staff when you ask for under the hood cleaning!
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:07   #434
BHPian

Does anyone know exactly where the ECU is located in VW Polo?

What other components need to be covered or protected from water under the hood?

Knowing this information will enable us to cover these critical components with waterproof material (polythene bags) before spraying water under the hood and maybe direct the service guys to do the same as well.

IMO, engine bay does require regular cleaning with water jet spray as it gets really messy with all the pollution & dust around.

Last edited by Omega Man : 2nd June 2011 at 18:09.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:21   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You won't believe Chethan, the wash at the dealership is more dangerous. They were happily directing the pressure spray in to the under bonnet region. Also I had painted the wiper bite on my Polo just before the wash. These wash guys lifted the wiper again and I had to touchup the scratch a second time. Also I am seeing big micro scratch on my hatch door. Not sure how that happened. But a run with DA polisher can remove it.
I normally do wash in a small Maruti service station near my house for 150Rs I will be near the car for the full duration giving instructions. No under bonnet wash, no lifting wiper.
This makes me think. I should check places where they do only water wash and nothing else. They may be more serious about the work they do.

ECU is right under the passenger side wiper - and it is not very well covered/sealed. High pressure wash is not recommended for any parts under the bonnet. It is best avoided. We can probably use more liquid soap to remove grease and dirt.

It will be nice if somebody who has a good knowledge on "cleaning under bonnet and engine parts" help us with details.

Most Viewed