Team-BHP - Swift VDI ABS - Photos and Initial Ownership
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Swift VDI ABS - Photos and Initial Ownership (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/83087-swift-vdi-abs-photos-initial-ownership.html)

Hi fellow team bhpians,

Starting with an apology for not posting photos of my recently purchased Swift VDI (ABS) white car. Here are a few that I clicked.

My initial experience with the car has been very good. This is my first car and due to my inability to draw any comparison with a petrol car, I am enjoying this diesel variant quite good. The car is a week short of completing its 1 month and has run around 700 kms so far.

Few things that I like are -
1. Turbo boost past 2000rpm (much noticed on 3rd gear)
2. Silky smooth (read refined) engine feel especially on 4-5th gear and past 60 kmph on the highway
3. Effective AC

Few things that I do not like so much are -
1. Slight knocking/jerking while gear shifts at Maruti recommended speeds (change 1st at 10kmph, 2nd - 20, 3rd - 30, 4th - 40 and 5th -50).
2. Slight rattling/tinkling sounds from driver's door/right back door while travelling on slightly rough roads (might as well be in other doors but they are feeble sounds so I can hear only here while driving)
3. Not so smooth operation while changing to 5th gear, and back to 4th. Also, sometimes engaging reverse gear isn't easy. Feels like gear lever gets stuck and needs conscious effort to shift.

You are most welcome to throw in your opinion/advice. Also, I will update this thread with some other key points that I come across. And yes, I do have some questions that I will be posting here soon. Thanks!

Regards,
Jiimbaa

:OT (MODS: I am awaiting my membership in this esteemed forum (been rejected twice), would be very thankful for your kind consideration so that I don't need to request sharan's help for my postings).

Let me be the first one to congratulate you, Jiimbaa(difficult to spell handle :D). Looks so good in white. Engaging reverse gear is always a tricky job in the Marutis, you will get used to it in due course of time. :)
Happy mile crunching with the Swift!

congratz jimbaa!
The swift d will always bring a smile on your face when ever you drive it.
Press the clutch a tad longer and then engage reverse. It will slot quite smoothly

Congrats shantyrocks!! It certainly looks amazing in white! .Can you please share the OTR of the car( you can PM me if you want).:thumbs up

Congrats on the new car Jiimbaa.

Please give a thought to your "why team-bhp" and "which policy" note, and you will get through. Just plain, simple and an original note. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancham (Post 1922991)
Congrats shantyrocks!! It certainly looks amazing in white! .Can you please share the OTR of the car( you can PM me if you want).:thumbs up

Hey panchamda its not me but JIMBAA whos got the new car :)

congrats on your new ride jimbaa,.
i agree there's a resistance while engaging reverse gear, engage 1st gear and then try reverse gear, it should engage smoothly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantyrocks (Post 1923739)
Hey panchamda its not me but JIMBAA whos got the new car :)

Oops!:p I am really sorry Jimbaa. (Now can you share the OTR).
Sorry:p

Hey congrats on the new car man. Enjoy. Drive safe.

The reverse-gear thing...

I've experienced it on so many different cars that I never gave it any thought on the swift.

If at first you don't succeed, back to neutral, foot off clutch, down clutch and try again.

You just need to spin those cogs: 99% of the time, second try and it will go in with no trouble.

I do not notice any lack of smoothness with any of the gears after a short time of tuning yourself in to gear/clutch/engine speed of this particular car. One thing that I find "odd" is that, on the flat at least, the car will not stall if you move off without even touching the gas pedal!

The turbo is even better in 2nd :) --- but there can be anxious moments, while, for instance, having just pulled out in front of a bus, you wait to reach 2,000RPM, as I felt only the other day <Blush>

My Swift VDI has just had its third birthday, by the way. Celebrated with an accident, and the discover of some nasty rust, neither of which were much fun, but it is back in commission now

Hi,

I am driving a swift vdi abs which has done 34k kms and 15 months old. I am noticing a loud sound when i touch 70kmph mark (+/- 3 kmph) on 5th gear - this would be at 1600rpm or so. The sound is so loud that is makes me feel that this is due to some resonance phenomenon. The sound diminishes substantially when car reaches 80kmph (however, there is huge noise and sound between 95 and 145 kmph which I guess is typical due to high speed?). So, when I am at 70kmph the car is fully stable, no pressure or jerks observed in clutchs, steer ring wheel, or any other area.

I may not have given some importabt information out of my ignorance, please ask for the same and help me with advice.

(PS: multiple words in subject for ensuring better searches)

Hello, anyone who has some suggestion?

Where does this noise come from buddy? Is it the engine or transmission?

At what RPM does it come

No such sound comes from my swift

Are you talking about the "BOOM" sound from the engine? Thats perfectly normal for the speed/RPM combo that you mentioned and means you are driving a gear more than the recommended gear for that speed.

Try cutting down a gear and you should be fine. This is not an problem, but a common phenomenon across all turbo charged diesel cars.

We have two Maruti Swift diesel VDi ABS cars.

The first has done about 65k, is Feb 2008, and runs silently at all engine and car speeds. Original and replacement tyres JK.

The second has done about 54k, is August 2009 (close to santsharan's car in age) and makes the same solid booming noise when crossing 75kmph. Original tyres MRF and replacement 2 tyres JK.

I have tried everything - changing tyres from JK to MRF , changing front bearing, changing air pressure, changing number of passengers from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4, but no joy. The resonance is so loud when rolling at 75-90 kmph in any gear (4th or 5th or neutral coasting) that we feel like we are inside a woofer.

Before I head to Maruti with this, anybody here got any ideas on what this is about? This is not an engine sound, that's for sure, because I've coasted to 120kmph and let the speed drop.