Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 13:27   #76
BHPian

Hi Case,

(Why do people call you nut? You are the case, I think. No offence intended)

That was a good write-up. Re-lived my own dilemma, repentance, and joys for similar reasons as yours. Congratulations on your choice; the car looks pretty good to me, to the point of envy. I liked all your pictures, especially the ones of nature. Wish joyful drives with your ride, and hope you will give us more such great pictures. Ah well, about the scratches, we all have gone through these experiences; to the point of acquiring a little immunity from that. But even today, a scratch makes me lose my appetite for a while. You description of cleaning was very educative. I will also get the detailer spray for my car.
Cheers, and drive safe.
Old 4th July 2010, 14:40   #77
BHPian

The latest FE reading

2.7.10 - Odo at 2614 KM - 13.73L for 197Km - 14.3Km/L - City traffic with AC (About 70 Km was a trip outside the city). I think thats the reason for better FE.

Otherwise the car is performing without any problems. The engine has opened up a bit and that has resulted in better driveability in B2B traffic.
The torque at low rmp/speed has improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
Hi Case,

(Why do people call you nut? You are the case, I think. No offence intended)

That was a good write-up. Re-lived my own dilemma, repentance, and joys for similar reasons as yours. Congratulations on your choice; You description of cleaning was very educative. I will also get the detailer spray for my car.
Cheers, and drive safe.
Haha thank you gostel.
Old 4th July 2010, 17:41   #78
SCH
BHPian

[B]2.7.10 - Odo at 2614 KM - 13.73L for 197Km - 14.3Km/L [/B]- City traffic with AC (

I guess your FE will increase once the engine opens up.

I read your full thread and I guess your FE and pick up has also improved. What is your opinion on the Noise level from the road which percolates in to the cabin. I found it to be on a slightly higher side but when i compare it to a Santro I found it comparable. What is your opinion on this.
Old 5th July 2010, 11:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

I got 17.1 kmpl from a Ritz that has just 2000 kms on the odo on a highway drive without A/c. I'm sure your FE will start moving up as you log in the kilometres. It has to cover 5k kms for the engine to fully open up.

Last edited by longhorn : 5th July 2010 at 11:08.
Old 5th July 2010, 13:00   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You will never be able to upgrade, as the Wagon R will make all equations go crazy. Its truly the most versatile car in its segment. You will want to change the car, but when you weigh all the pros and cons for changing it, You will realise it makes no sense to change it.
Heh; feeling the same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
I also wax the car . Have waxed it twice till now.
You are overdoing it. Each wax polish takes a bit off your paint. Read the "Care care aesthetics" thread for more details.

Quote:
I have not got the USB cable yet as it was out of stock with INDUS. The price they mentioned was app Rs 1500/ for the cable. Will let you know when i get it. As of now i use a Sansa R 1 Gb which can take MicroSD card as well giving it a capacity of 3GB as of now, connected to the AUX input .
Have you asked on Mount road, electronic shops?

I guess you are asking about USB male at one end, USB female at the other end type of cable. Just take the car; I feel the cable is less than 200 bucks there. What brand is the HU? How do the speakers sound? What brand are they?

The HU have a separate user manual?

Another question - are the tyres tube less ones?

Anybody know if these E-OVRMs can be retrofitted on older WagonRs?

Edit:- if the metal of the body panel is exposed due to that accident, please get it fixed ASAP. Rust can be corrosive.

(joke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So what's the point in taking a B-Pillar which is the same colour as the rest of the car & painting it black?
The poor go semi naked because they cannot afford clothes, the rich use designer wear.

(/joke)

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 5th July 2010 at 13:15.
Old 5th July 2010, 17:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
The latest FE reading

2.7.10 - Odo at 2614 KM - 13.73L for 197Km - 14.3Km/L - City traffic with AC (About 70 Km was a trip outside the city). I think thats the reason for better FE.
Hi -NUT-case, well, I agree to your choice of car, colour and mods; but if a Wagon R doesn't deliver good FE, what's the point?

Don't mind but every one out here has his or her own set criteria for a car. I know because I have mine. And very stringent ones at that. I always wanted a car with good Torque and Power, as I'm a spirited driver. (Though I don't own any cars, have driven a lot of them) I have let go this parameter looking at 2 other important ones - After Sales Service and Good FE. But it seems, this dark horse of Maruti is all talk and nothing else. And what was the point of scaling down the engine from 1.1 to sub 1 litre, when you can't deliver on FE? Hence I am in TWO MINDS over going for this car. I think Hyundai i10 will make better sense.

What's your take?
Old 5th July 2010, 20:46   #82
BHPian

If you had read the full review , you would have read that i had a problem with the windshield which had some sort of coating on it which was affecting visibility at night in rain.

Well finally solved the problem, no thanks to maruti service to whom i had complained about it during first service. They told me that they had done some kind of polishing to the glass(only windsheild). It did improve a bit but did not remove the coating totally.

Well after trying all sorts of things, i finally decide to use "Silvo" from Reckitt Benckiser which is meant for cleaning silver and it worked like a charm.

Now i have a perfectly clear glass. I cleaned the windows and back windshield as well, as they too had the same kind of coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
What is your opinion on the Noise level from the road which percolates in to the cabin. I found it to be on a slightly higher side but when i compare it to a Santro I found it comparable. What is your opinion on this.
The sound proofing is definetly better than the Santro. But as the 1L K engine is a little more noisier than the 1.1 irde of santro, the engine noise as well as the braking noise ( Front disc brakes) tends to be a little more intrusive in WagonR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I got 17.1 kmpl from a Ritz that has just 2000 kms on the odo on a highway drive without A/c. I'm sure your FE will start moving up as you log in the kilometres. It has to cover 5k kms for the engine to fully open up.
Lets wait and watch on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
You are overdoing it. Each wax polish takes a bit off your paint. Read the "Care care aesthetics" thread for more details.
I am a keen follower of that thread.

There is a difference between a "Wax polish" and a pure "wax" . Waxing can be done as many times as you want without any negetive effects except build up of wax. Please read through the thread to get a better understanding
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Have you asked on Mount road, electronic shops?

What brand is the HU? How do the speakers sound? What brand are they?

The HU have a separate user manual?

Another question - are the tyres tube less ones?

Anybody know if these E-OVRMs can be retrofitted on older WagonRs?
Yes i have asked but not searched very seriously for it

I do not know the brand of the HU or the speakers.

The speakers sound good. ( For a oem unit from maruti)

I did not find a separate manual for the sound system, which makes figuring out the functions of the various buttons a bit difficult.

Yes, the tyres are tubeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Hi -NUT-case, well, I agree to your choice of car, colour and mods; but if a Wagon R doesn't deliver good FE, what's the point?

Hence I am in TWO MINDS over going for this car. I think Hyundai i10 will make better sense.

What's your take?
Thank you.

Well the reason for scaling down the engine, i think has more to do with
keeping the cost of the whole package under check and also to position it right in MSIL lineup of models. The ritz with a 1.2 has almost identical FE figures.

As you say the biggest disappointment for me has been the low FE that this engine is giving so far. It could be a one off case with my car . We have to wait for more input from other owners before deciding on the FE.

Hyundai i10 with the very good 1.1 Irde engine will suit your needs very well i think(the 1.2kappa makes more sense if you do a lot of highway travel). Please do a test drive of i10 with both the engines if you can. Wagon R is cheaper and has more interior space. The fake wood panel effect in the i10 really put me off too.

Last edited by -NUT-case : 5th July 2010 at 20:48.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Don't mind but every one out here has his or her own set criteria for a car. I know because I have mine. And very stringent ones at that. I always wanted a car with good Torque and Power, as I'm a spirited driver. (Though I don't own any cars, have driven a lot of them) I have let go this parameter looking at 2 other important ones - After Sales Service and Good FE. But it seems, this dark horse of Maruti is all talk and nothing else. And what was the point of scaling down the engine from 1.1 to sub 1 litre, when you can't deliver on FE? Hence I am in TWO MINDS over going for this car. I think Hyundai i10 will make better sense.

What's your take?
If you think The i10 will give you better FE than the WagonR then you are off the mark. If you look overall, the i10 1.2 is a better package than the WagonR, but then you need to look at the price at which it is better offered, and then compare it to others in the same price range.

Between the new WagonR, i10 1.1 irde and Santro, I would pick the WagonR if I were you. The main issue for the WR is the lack of torque in 2nd gear. Then again, that's just me and each one is bound to have their own opinion which may or may not differ from mine. You need to weigh you reuirements and then pick the one that's best suits you.

Last edited by longhorn : 6th July 2010 at 11:59.
Old 6th July 2010, 13:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
; but if a Wagon R doesn't deliver good FE, what's the point?
The FE 'NUT-CASE' is getting is not bad. Also it depends a lot on driving conditions and driving styles. I personally know a couple of Santro 1.1 owners who are getting lower FE than the WagonR here.

Quote:
Don't mind but every one out here has his or her own set criteria for a car. I know because I have mine. And very stringent ones at that. I always wanted a car with good Torque and Power, as I'm a spirited driver. (Though I don't own any cars, have driven a lot of them) I have let go this parameter looking at 2 other important ones - After Sales Service and Good FE.
Torque, Power and Fuel Economy?? What? In the same car? Ever heard of a sportscar with FE figures of a regular sedan? Or better still, ever heard of someone's Baleno/Fiesta1.6/OHC with FE of a WagonR ?? My baleno is capable of giving me 16kmpl in chandigarh's traffic. But that is when I do not exploit a fraction of that torque and power.

And if you are a spitited driver, forget about the FE. Whether you buy a i10 1.1, i10 kappa, Ritz or a WagonR. Spirited driving and great FE, atleast I haven't heard of it.

Quote:
But it seems, this dark horse of Maruti is all talk and nothing else.
Well, if you are this quick in passing a judgment, go ahead and buy whatever you wish to. Do not bother checking with other WagonR owners if you are so eager to pass on a verdict.

Quote:
And what was the point of scaling down the engine from 1.1 to sub 1 litre, when you can't deliver on FE?
Remember how Hyundai dithced the TUD series diesel engine for a Detroit 3 cylinder unit for its accent?

Have you seen the 'power and torque' figures of the new engine and compared with the old 1.1?

Do you know that the old 1.1 was same as alto/m800's 0.8? Albeit with one more cylinder.

What will you prefer? A modern K-series are a double decade old F-series motor?

And if FE is your priority number 1, why not look at alto/nano or hunt for WagonR Duo which is still available in large numbers with many dealers?

Quote:
Hence I am in TWO MINDS over going for this car. I think Hyundai i10 will make better sense.
Comparing a i10 with a WagonR isnt the wisest thing to do. Compare a i10 with a Ritz and a Beat and then decide if you wish to go ahead with the i10. Also look at the Figo. Except for the dull 1.2 there is nothing much against that car.

Quote:
What's your take?
Compare a WagonR with the Spark/Santro/Estilo/A-star and you'll realise the leap that WagonR has taken with this model.

Yeah, the price of VXi may be close to some larger cars, but then you are comparing a fully loaded model of a lower segment car with the bare bones model of a higher segment car.

If you can afford a car like Beat/Ritz/i10 1.2 go ahead.
If not dont be so eager passing a verdict like that.

NUT-CASE's WagonR may be a one off case. More than that, his car's FE is bound to improve as he'll clock some more kms.

And don't ever judge a car's progress with its FE. The new wagonR is much better than the old one in almost all areas.Its not a mere facelift. And its much better than the Santro too.
But if you can buy a i10 1.2 ot a Ritz, why bother looking at a WagonR? Its a segment lower to be compared with such cars.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 6th July 2010 at 13:09.
Old 12th July 2010, 16:56   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

As you say the biggest disappointment for me has been the low FE that this engine is giving so far. It could be a one off case with my car . We have to wait for more input from other owners before deciding on the FE.

Hyundai i10 with the very good 1.1 Irde engine will suit your needs very well i think(the 1.2kappa makes more sense if you do a lot of highway travel). Please do a test drive of i10 with both the engines if you can. Wagon R is cheaper and has more interior space. The fake wood panel effect in the i10 really put me off too.
Welcome -NUT-Case.

I will be keenly following your thread to know more about your experiences. I am sure the FE will improve going ahead and you will have a great time with you car. I too will be following suit soon.

Cheers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If you think The i10 will give you better FE than the WagonR then you are off the mark. If you look overall, the i10 1.2 is a better package than the WagonR, but then you need to look at the price at which it is better offered, and then compare it to others in the same price range.

Between the new WagonR, i10 1.1 irde and Santro, I would pick the WagonR if I were you. The main issue for the WR is the lack of torque in 2nd gear. Then again, that's just me and each one is bound to have their own opinion which may or may not differ from mine. You need to weigh you reuirements and then pick the one that's best suits you.
Thanks longhorn for the info.

I am aware of the fact that New Wagon R (Blue Eyed Boy) and i10 (1.2l models) can be easily classified into separate categories given their engine differences, but uptil a few months ago these lines were quite blurred.

Even I am very much inclined towards the WR but would take a decision based on my requirements and available options.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th July 2010 at 23:21. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 12th July 2010, 17:52   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
The FE 'NUT-CASE' is getting is not bad. Also it depends a lot on driving conditions and driving styles. I personally know a couple of Santro 1.1 owners who are getting lower FE than the WagonR here.
Agreed. But I am neither blaming the driver nor the car 'directly' for the current FE mentioned in the post. The said words had been conveyed after reading through another review on this forum for the same car.

Quote:
Torque, Power and Fuel Economy?? What? In the same car? Ever heard of a sportscar with FE figures of a regular sedan? Or better still, ever heard of someone's Baleno/Fiesta1.6/OHC with FE of a WagonR ?? My baleno is capable of giving me 16kmpl in chandigarh's traffic. But that is when I do not exploit a fraction of that torque and power.
Dear Baleno, (I hope you don't mind shortening your handle to Baleno) as I have mentioned I AM READY TO OVERLOOK TORQUE & POWER for better After Sales Service and FE. Even I understand that asking these 3 parameters in one A+/B segment car is just a bit too much. Though I am yet to write my experiences of test driving various cars in these segments (read: 12) I have come to know that even a Wagon R is capable of delivering 'decent' pull if driven correctly. This is MY OPINION and hence there is no need to take it personally.

Quote:
And if you are a spitited driver, forget about the FE. Whether you buy a i10 1.1, i10 kappa, Ritz or a WagonR. Spirited driving and great FE, atleast I haven't heard of it.
Agreed.

Quote:
Well, if you are this quick in passing a judgment, go ahead and buy whatever you wish to. Do not bother checking with other WagonR owners if you are so eager to pass on a verdict.

Remember how Hyundai dithced the TUD series diesel engine for a Detroit 3 cylinder unit for its accent?

Have you seen the 'power and torque' figures of the new engine and compared with the old 1.1?

Do you know that the old 1.1 was same as alto/m800's 0.8? Albeit with one more cylinder.

What will you prefer? A modern K-series are a double decade old F-series motor?
Sounds like you are quite possessive about Maruti, which is perfectly fine with me. But I do not intend to, in any manner whatsoever, undermine the utility value provided by this lovely car. I too am EQUALLY PASSIONATE, if not MORE, for CARS. Hence my efforts to point out or to highlight issues with a particular model are only to improve the overall quality of this forum and help others; and in return gain VALUABLE INFORMATION from members like you.

Quote:
And if FE is your priority number 1, why not look at alto/nano or hunt for WagonR Duo which is still available in large numbers with many dealers?

Comparing a i10 with a WagonR isnt the wisest thing to do. Compare a i10 with a Ritz and a Beat and then decide if you wish to go ahead with the i10. Also look at the Figo. Except for the dull 1.2 there is nothing much against that car.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would stick to the New Wagon R.

Quote:
Compare a WagonR with the Spark/Santro/Estilo/A-star and you'll realise the leap that WagonR has taken with this model.

Yeah, the price of VXi may be close to some larger cars, but then you are comparing a fully loaded model of a lower segment car with the bare bones model of a higher segment car.
Agreed. I too LOVE this car and am ONLY considering the VXi.

Quote:
If you can afford a car like Beat/Ritz/i10 1.2 go ahead.
If not dont be so eager passing a verdict like that.
Hope you are getting my point by now and can understand my URGE to know more about Wagon R in particular. We all have our likes and dislikes and there is a place to put them in front of others. That is exactly what I did. I only want to discuss the pros & cons of this car and do not want to label this or any other car in any way. I LOVE CARS. PERIOD.

Quote:
NUT-CASE's WagonR may be a one off case. More than that, his car's FE is bound to improve as he'll clock some more kms.

And don't ever judge a car's progress with its FE. The new wagonR is much better than the old one in almost all areas.Its not a mere facelift. And its much better than the Santro too.
But if you can buy a i10 1.2 ot a Ritz, why bother looking at a WagonR? Its a segment lower to be compared with such cars.

Regards.
I wish -NUT-case's Wagon R gives him the ultimate satisfaction including the FE he is looking forward to.

I know that Wagon R is a segment lower to the i10 or Ritz, but as I mentioned I have already TD'd a lot of cars and have my reservations for each and every car model out there. If you go around other threads, you will see that as a true car lover I try to provide my inputs on other models too; and in this way I am making the most of my experience of the various cars I have driven over the years and very recently, TD'd for my buying purpose. I shall very soon write about my experiences on each and every one of those beauties.

Request you to look at my opinions in an unbiased way, whereby members like me can share our thoughts and in the process gain knowledge about this great unifying force called CARS, from more experienced people like you.
Old 12th July 2010, 23:09   #87
BHPian

@ SankalpDesai

Will try to keep the thread updated whenever something significant or useful is there to share .

As of now the driveability of the car has improved by leaps and bounds.
I dont notice the lack of torque which i was experiencing initially.

Either the engine has opened up and is delivering power more efficiently or i am learning to adjust my driving style to suit the engine.

My driving style is what you call "spirited" . Hence it can impact on my FE.

I too am like you in the sense i tend to criticize and find faults with whatever i am planning to buy. But it is through doing so that you contribute to the improvement of any product be it cars or any other.

As you rightly said every car available in the market has its strong and weak points. It is upto the buyer to decide what is important for him or her and choose accordingly.

Your inputs will definitely help anyone looking at the WagonR as an option.

Waiting for your test drive and ownership thread!

"When you are passionate about something, you tend to react emotionally to any issues related to your passion." and YC.BALENO.CHD is definitely passionate about cars.

@YC.BALENO.CHD

I too seriously considered the i10, Beat, Figo and the Ritz before settling on the WagonR. Being cheaper was not the main reason i setttled for WagonR. Infact at the time of buying the Ritz Lxi and WagonR Vxi was priced excatly the same.

I found the waggy to be an overall better package for my needs than the others. Its minuses being balanced out by its pluses quite nicely when compared to the others.
Old 25th July 2010, 23:25   #88

well i have read your complete thread as i am also thinking buying the same for my parents

their usage
a 10-15 km per day leaving sundays and an occasional evening out in a week .
b an occasional highway driving not more than 300 kms max in 3 months
c i hope your FE improves because waiting for another update from you before cementing my decision

but overall a very good review
helped me a lot in selecting the car
it helped to know that a difference of 20k make in goodies in lxi and vxi
Old 27th November 2010, 23:09   #89
BHPian

Hi guys . Sorry for the long gap in posting. I have been busy with a new job and what not and the other reason was that i wanted to finish the second service before posting further.

I have been pretty happy with the cars overall performance till now. The only sore point was the laggy pickup in 1st and 2nd gears in low RPM and also the jerky acceleration on clutch release after changing gears.

The second service which was to be done at 5000km was delayed and the car had already done near to 6500Km when i finally got the time.

So called up Indus Maruti to book for a service slot. I was informed that i could just drive in for the service and booking was not required. So went there at about 11Am and the guy incharge of service came out to meet me with the news that their pressure wash equipment was under repair and so body wash cannot be done which i felt was a little callous on their port as nothing was mentioned about it when i called up.

Anyway decide to leave the car for teh service except the body wash for which i have to go back.

I told him about the pickup and his reaction was " Sir , it is the character of the K10B engine so nothing can be done".

I anyway asked him to check the clutch and accelerator "play".

Went back in the evening and the car was ready. A bill for Rs 93/ was given . It was for

Screewash concentrate - 13.33 Rs
Distilled Water - 10.67 Rs
Consumables - 60 Rs
taxes - 27 Rs Total of 93 Rs.

I don't know if this is done in a free service , but didn't want to argue, so paid and took the car.

Immediately noticed a big improvement in drive-ability in 1st nd 2nd gears.
The clutch release too had become very smooth without the jerkiness on acceleration.

So it had been the clutch adjustment which had been causing the problems all along. The clutch was not adjusted properly the first 2 times even when i had specifically asked that it be checked. The last 2 days the driving is much more comfortable. When asked about the mileage he told that it should improve after 3rd service .

The other complaint i had was a slight rattle from the B-pillar . The service guy said that it was because of the seat belt mechanism inside the pillar and that it had been adjusted. But the rattle still persists.

The other day i was traveling in my friends i10 and he was playing some songs. The sound system which comes OEM in the WagonR is way better sounding than the OEM unit which comes in the i10 from what i could hear. So one more "+" there for the waggy.

The mileage till now

12.8.10 / 2889 Km / 28.2 L for 275 Km = 9.75 Km /L
31.8.10 / 3200 Km / 25.79 L for 311 Km = 12 Km/L
9.9.10 / 3624 Km / 28.16 L for 424 Km = 15 Km/L
11.9.10 / 4092 Km / 30.44 L for468 Km = 15.3 Km/L
15.9.10 / 4677 Km / 35.92 L for 585 Km = 16.2 Km /L
26.9.10 / 5274 Km / 40.41 L for 597 Km = 14.7 Km/L
8.10.10 / 5771 Km / 33.89 L for 497 Km = 14.6 Km/ L
5.11.10 / 6657 Km / 64.02 L for 886 Km = 13.8 Km/ L
16.11.10 / 7141 Km / 33.95 L for 484 Km = 14.2 Km/ L

From ODO reading of 3624 Km onwards, it has been mostly half highway and half city driving and hence you see that i am getting an average of about 14Km.

All in all i am very happy with the car till now.

@ MODS if you could, please change the title from 1000Km to "6000 Km Review"

Last edited by -NUT-case : 27th November 2010 at 23:12.
-NUT-case is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 07:46   #90
BHPian

Re: Why I was stupid enough to buy a '10 WagonR VXI. EDIT : 6,000 kms update on pg.6

@Nut- are you saying the new Wagon's pick up has improved after the 2nd service? I recently did a TD and liked the vehicle; planning to get one.

I had the older gen Wagon and I think the drivability of the new one is better. But I had TD with only 2 people on board, me and the sales rep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks