Old 15th June 2010, 17:11   #1

Experience in Purchasing a Used Safari

i was trying for an used safari where in my use was very minimal to carry out my Pet to my home town, and do some Offroading.

started out searching the safari's

1. started out with a 1999 model 2wd, 2 nd owner clocked around 1,10,000 kms. missed the deal in the final stages because me out of station.
2. Searched out an 1999 model 4wd, 1st owner clocked around 1,00,000 kms. Cancelled the deal since the price expecting for a 1999 model was huge.
3. Drilled down on some other models and saw couple of 2003 , 2002 and 2000 models, but every where there were contraints on the vehicles(condition and maintanance).
4. Finally we thought to walk down to a dealer, as we were unable to get a good condition vehicle. Selected an 2006 model EX version from a dealer, which was quoated finally 5.2 lakhs intially quoated 5.9 lakh(single ownere clocked 42,000 kms, red color, after market alloys, and good ICE).
5. When i was about to pay the advance to the dealer one of my friend called me and informed that there is one good safari in JP nagar so we just wanted to have a try on this vehicle.
6. Reached JP Nagar, and when we saw the vehicle, it was in great condition did a PDI check up, and took it for a spin.

And finally decided to go for this one. and here are the details.

Its a 3.0 ltr engine(Dicor), 2005 model, 2nd owner, 66000 Kms Clocked, Comprehensive insurance(ID 6,50,000). it was never claimed.

the vehicle is an Top End(VX) Features(ABS, Airbags, Reverse camera, Head rest Screens, Seat Adjustment, Tilt Steering, Leather interiors, New Battery, Centralized AC, And Dual AC, 4 WD).

The Only Draw back on the vehicle was that the Winshield was Slightly Cracked(Spots) which we get on a Highway if we are behind a sand lorry.
and small clips which were lost on the fibre parts.

apart from that the Wheel Alignment problem and tyres may run for another 10 to 12 K kms.

thanks for Surjith(Alter_Ego) for the entire hunt for an safari.

checked with Tata Motors, and they confirmed that the vehicle was last serviced in 2009 at around 45k kms it was first registered in Hospet, then transferred to JP Nagar.

later there is no service record available. taking it to Concord this week saturday to do a compelte checkup.

the color of the vehicle is Blue. Token advance is made.

pictures were not taken, will get the pictures by Saturday.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:29   #2
SDP

Interesting indeed. A dream came true...isn't it?
So how much are you paying for this one?
Old 15th June 2010, 17:33   #3

The Price will be kept Secret till i post the pictures.

Surjith please keep the price secret.
Old 15th June 2010, 20:47   #4

congrats on your buy. From your excitement i can sense that you have got yourself a steal deal on this monster.

Waiting for pics and a detailed review.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:37   #5

A VX - good buy!

Hope you checked the history well.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:18   #6

Yes the records are good and correct.

the vehicle has not even met with any accident.

the insurance is having the NCB from day 1.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:24   #7

Excellent! I'm thinking you paid around 6L for the truck. Welcome to the truckers club. Congrats. Drive safe. Waiting for pics and the secret purchase price.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:41   #8

The Price is not in that mark.

and price is only known to Alter.

will dispose the price on Saturday once i get the pictures.

could not take the pictures as i went there with a basic camera mobile.

Please find the teaser.

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 15th June 2010 at 23:46. Reason: picture
Old 16th June 2010, 16:20   #9

Update 2:

Thinking that that these vehicle might not work out since we were tired up looking at the individual vehicles which were not in great condition. but wanted to give a try we decided to see the safari

Started from home around 9 on tuesday morning from Marthahlli.

the traffic was so huge and i had to pickup my friend from Belandur.

the owner had some work and he was ringing us in regular intervals, finally reached the place by 11:15 A.M.

the vehicle was parked in-front of his house and he told that he will come in 2 mins.

the out look was neatly mainted, and we thought we will work on this but need to see under the hood and interiors.

the moment lock was opened i jumped into the car and decided if the engine is good i will pick the deal.

the interior was so neatly maintained.

drove the vehicle for some 5 to 10 KMS, in and around JP Nagar, and was pleased with the vehicle perforamance.

minor NICK & Nacks were there which can be rectified in less time.

then the price negotiations started. the Intial price which the owner has quoated was 5.9 Lakhs for the beast.

the final price will be disposed later part.

Then negotiations happened for some 30 mins, and came to know he is some one from Politics. we hitted some blind arrows and that were success and we got the vehicle for a very good price.

as we dont want to loose this one made a advance of 50K and checked the records and came to know that every thing is correct.

will post the next update with pictures
Old 16th June 2010, 17:04   #10

Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
then the price negotiations started. the Intial price which the owner has quoated was 5.9 Lakhs for the beast.

the final price will be disposed later part.
initial asking price of 5.9L? wow. you have surely got yourself a deal.

anyways waiting for more details and a detailed photo shoot is expected.

Enjoy!
Old 16th June 2010, 17:09   #11

Why does it look like Goddy's safari to me? But it had Hellas.

PS: I think his was not a VX
Old 16th June 2010, 17:16   #12

^^ Definitely not Goddy's.

He wouldn't be parting company with that. At least not yet.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:27   #13

@threadstarter:

I have got deals for as low as 4.1 Lakhs for a neat and cleanly maintained Tata Safari 2.2VTT 2007 model 4WD, 60K kms old vehicle. Please search for more options before taking any decision. I am not the one who believes in 'rumours'. But, that's what has happened to me and I stated my words. It's a under 4Lakh deal not a penny more than that. Still, your decision will be the last.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:52   #14

@Mercedised, prices will vary. Karnataka has some of the highest prices, so we cannot be comparing what @SR has found with prices outside of KA. It looks like he has paid around 5L, which would be a pretty good price for a 12L vehicle.

SR & his friend have also checked the market before picking up this vehicle, so I will assume that they know how good their bargain is.

@SR, congrats ! Wishing you a happy, trouble-free ownership experience.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:06   #15

@Mercedised, prices will vary. Karnataka has some of the highest prices, so we cannot be comparing what @SR has found with prices outside of KA. It looks like he has paid around 5L, which would be a pretty good price for a 12L vehicle.

SR & his friend have also checked the market before picking up this vehicle, so I will assume that they know how good their bargain is.

@SR, congrats ! Wishing you a happy, trouble-free ownership experience.
Thanks a lot Condor.

and as you said we even took the car to the dealer, and he offered 30 K more for what we are going to pay to the vehicle. and i guess its a good deal.

see again the price matter depends on make, model and re-sale. and more over its a Tata vehicle

and 100% sure its not Goddy's vehicle.

Note: its not Grey color its a Blue color. the picture is taken from some basic mobile so color difference at the time of upload.