Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 12:29   #1

My New Hyundai i20Crdi BS IV - Full Circle

Hello! This is my first post on Team BHP.

My new Silver coloured Hyundai i20 Crdi Asta BSIV version was delivered at Trident Hyundai, Indiranagar, Bangalore yesterday. This has been one long journey and I thought I would share this journey, that has for the moment culminated with this purchase.

Let me start off by saying that I have been lurking on the pages of Team BHP for well over a year now. I own a Fiat Palio and consider myself a fan of that car (Its 6 years old and giving me some problem nowadays though!). I love my Palio for its' build, the handling and ride quality, the general car quality (At least when I purchased my Palio in 2004 I believe it was ahead of the competition) and the Passion it invoked in me (Some may ask why. I don't know the answer myself! I guess only when you own and drive one will you be able to experience the passion/pride that comes with it)

With this background, I consider myself somewhat of a Fiat Fan. So when I first started looking at these forums over a year ago it was when the Linea was being launched. I was looking for a replacement either for my Palio or my wife's Santro from those days. The Linea had me mesmerized for a while with its looks and the incredible Fiat build and I was sold on that. I trawled through these forums and the test reviews, user feedback, bought tons of magazines those days on the Linea.

Finally, I asked for a test drive. Being a Petrol Head so far, I had not really thought about the Diesel Option. So I asked for a TD of the 1.4 L Petrol. I found the car build solid as usual, the looks were brilliant, Driving - Engine and Power - was quite good -nothing to rave about, ride quality and handling were its Pièce de résistance. The Blue and Me thing was a creature comfort too. However, my folks found the rear seating a little too cramped for comfort. i too was not sold on it after my drive impressions. I didn't even think about the Diesel for reasons mentioned earlier.

I then considered the ANHC. Tested one and it was good. Liked the looks, the quality interiors, the known Honda reliability, fuel economy was good and so were resale values. Didn't like the Honda pricing, comparative lack of equipment, thin tyres that do not allow you to use the power available. However, I was almost on the verge of picking one but then thought I would wait to see the Punto before taking the plunge on the ANHC.

The the wait for the Punto began. I waited for the launch and what a launch too! The engine specs for the Petrol looked great on paper. I will tell you this - The Punto is a gorgeous car! Even more so than the Linea. I tested the Petrol version again. Found it quite good to drive. Liked all the things above in the Linea and the 'silent at idle and throaty at speeds' engine. Didn't like the rear seating comfort though.

At pretty much this same time I considered that i20 Petrol. Tested it and found it to be quite ok too. I didn't really think that there was a huge difference in the Engine/ Driveability between the Fiat and the i20 (Petrol Versions). On paper there is a 14 BHP difference between the two. But I did not feel it in real world performance. Equipment levels were good in the i20 too.

That's when my wife too started giving me thoughts on the reliability or shall I say serviceability of a Hyundai Vs a Fiat. Being a Fiat Fan myself, I gave her the usual about my Palio - How robust it is, how it handles, the sturdy build like a tank feel etc. She didn't quite but it. In the meanwhile, I had also read GTO's posts here about the fact that the way to go with the Puntos was with the Diesel ones. So I changed tracks - I said lets look at the Punto Diesel!

That's when the pain started. There were these series of Fiat ads those days that talked about testing a Punto. So I went ahead and messaged Fiat at their advertised lines for a test. And then I waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing! So I called up their lines for a test. They said somebody would get in touch with me. And the I waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing again! That was it - I mailed the CEO through their website. That was when things started moving. Somebody called me from FIAT and they arranged a test drive with KHT Motors in Bangalore - a newly opened dealership in the Whitefield area.

The sales rep from KHT brought the car on a Saturday. As soon as he cam, I noticed that the car was noisy. Not just a Diesel Vs Petrol Noisy bit noisy in an annoying way. Anyway, we sat in the car and took it for a spin on the Inner Ring Road - Indiranagar to Kormangala. Found the gears way too tight to slot in. Didn't feel it to be underpowered but certainly didn't feel it raring to spring either. On the way back my wife wanted to drive. She found it a little tough to turn (We Fiat owners are used to the turning radius but believe me this is a huge pain point for people not in the know about the turning radius - especially when one needs to take a U on a narrow and crowded Bangalore road). I too got to appreciate the space or rather the lack of it in the rear bench. The fact that my head touched the ceiling too didnt help. The black interiors further contributed to what I can only deduce to be a sense of claustrophobia in the car for my wife.

At pretty much that time I was reading all these posts about the lack of top end grunt in the i20 Petrol. I liked the fact that Hyundai seemed eager to sell the car unlike FIAT. Started thinking if FIAT does not want to sell me the car will the want to take car of it later. With all these thoughts in my head I started feeling I was 'betraying' FIAT and looking at the Hyundai - the not so new kid in town!

Anyways, I thought that given the above, and the fact that I had looked at the Punto Diesel, might as well give the i20 Diesel a chance. So tested an i20 Diesel.

I guess there are a number of posts here that talk about the i20's positives and negatives so I will not repeat those here. But briefly this is what I felt - I really liked the power. I also liked the airy feeling in the cabin (Although the brown beige combo is not really my cuppa tea). The equipment levels were generous too and the Diesel had discs all round. Found the rear space better as well and somehow the interior quality and space seemed better than the Punto. I didn't like the lack of adequate power below 1800 RPM, I much preferred to FIAT'S steering setup (Low that feel and the way the Fiat eats up the Bangalore bumps and potholes) and somehow there was this feeling that I am going from an Italian to a Korean make.

But I thought I would take an impassioned decision here : Weighed all the pros and cons of the Punto Vs i20 - Came to the conclusion that - for me (Please note that I am not saying i20 Diesel is better than a Punto Diesel. This would be true only for me.) the i20 was the way to go.

The price compared to the Punto and the fact that it bordered in the Sedan segment was something to chew on. But here is the way I looked at it - In the i20 I get all I would want in a Sedan with maybe 200 Litres lower bootspace. But this makes City driving a parking easier. So do I want to pay a 100k more for a boot? Nope! So the i20 Diesel it was.

I booked the car in the middle of April with Trident Hyundai. Rajesh from Hyundai was extremely helpful in the whole process. He brought the car for test drives multiple times to my house and was courteous during the whole buying process. I would recommend him if any of you decide to got to Trident Hyundai on 100 Feet Road.

I was told that the delivery would happen on Akshaya Tritiya day Mid May. Here is where the problems started. Apparently there were strikes in the Hyundai factory. This couple with the fact that I had asked for the 6 Gear BSIV version meant that the delivery went though 2 rounds of delays before I finally took home the car last evening. There was also a small hiccup in the form of a darker sun film than we had asked for. Rajesh has promised to get those changed free of cost during our first service.

I have not driven the car too much yet. Will keep you posted as things evolve. Thanks for your patience in reading this long post.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:44   #2
BHPian

Let me be the first to cogratulate you. Happy miles. The i20-CRDI is a wonderful car. Do post pics.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:47   #3
BHPian

Dude i20 CRDI is a wonderful vehicle to drive. Drive safe and enjoy your ride (I am sure you would).
Old 17th June 2010, 12:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

The i20 Crdi is a great choice.
Hope you get to use the 6th gear soon, and for that you will have to hit the highways!

And please do post pictures of the car.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:56   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the new car, it is indeed feature loaded, what was the OTR and any discounts?
Old 17th June 2010, 13:04   #6

@jayanth, mutantx and pulsar56 - Thanks for the wishes guys!

I will post pics of the car over the weekend. And I would really like to use the 6th - So might just plan on a Mysore drive over a relatively free weekend in the near future.

Will keep you guys posted on the drive experience.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:49   #7
BHPian

good write up there and congrats on the new car...!!
quick question though, why wasn't Maruti Ritz in your list of desirables ??
Old 17th June 2010, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Congrats avinash. i20 CRDI is an awesome choice. Has great looks and good power too. Drive her safe.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the i20 Crdi. With the additional cog, the driveability should be better in city.

Do post the pictures of the car and enjoy many more miles with the oil burner.
Old 18th June 2010, 11:33   #10

vinayak007 - I didn't consider the Ritz because I didn't like it looks plus I am not a fan of the tall boy design.

Gene, nkrishnap and Schoudhury - Thanks for the kind words. Will post pictures over the weekend.

Initial driving impressions to follow.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:02   #11

This is only the second day of the car. Funnily enough my Palio has started indicating a red light on the hand break unit on the console just about the same time that I got home my i20 - I think it has this distinct feeling that I have betrayed it :(

Ok - On with the initial driving impressions:

This is my first Diesel purchase. All my previous cars have been Petrol. I have driven less than a hundred kilometers - all in Bangalore's peak hour traffic.

I found the car similar to my petrol cars in the initial couple of gears. Maybe lacks that petrol pep at crawl speeds. But as the speed builds up, it feels like it is ready for take off.

I will be getting my license plates fixed today. Have been driving along on a Temp number so far. I wonder if that is a traffic violation? Checked with the showroom folks who said that this was a normal practice with them. Still not sure if it is legal.

I found that I need to drive the car one gear lower than in the petrol at similar crawl speeds and when I slow down to take one of Bangalore's numerous speed breakers. If I do not do that, it accelerates very slowly and almost stalls. So I need to keep the car in that 1500-1800 RPM range to have a good response. My Palio and Santro do not have that issue.

I tried to accelerate hard from second gear last night as I was heading home after my badminton sessions at Indiranagar club. I found that it picks up very, very well. But as I looked in my rear view mirrors, I also saw some smoke (White and not Black) which I do not see in the petrols. Is that normal with Diesels?

As I was parking in the basement, I also smelt a different smell (Engine sort of). Not something I get in my petrols. Is this a new engine/Diesel effect?

All the people whom I showed it to very suitable impressed with the car - especially the equipment and interior space. I am hoping that this was not only to make me feel happy.

The interiors of the car are very good - feel a class above. Not a great fan of the brown-beige interiors but they are not too bad either. Also would have preferred the earlier black console to the silver one. The ORVMs that fold electrically with the indicators on them is a nice touch.

I found the stock music system average at best. I would like to know if I can change the system but still retain the stock steering mounted remote. I would also like to know if this would effect the electricals or void guarantee?

I was also told to use premium diesel (HP Turbo Jet) and an additive (System D) from BP called by an auto enthusiast/rally friend of mine. Any thoughts on that? Also any thoughts on filling the tubeless tyres with Nitrogen?

Found the car easy to steer in the city. But still need to adjust to this steering type after my Palio. Suspensions soak up the bumps pretty well not unlike my Palio. Overall it feels very easy to drive in the city so far.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:23   #12

carfanatic007 - On Road was about 8.35 Lacs. I did my own insurance and got about 7k less than the showroom quoted rate. Also got a 5.5k waiver because of the delays in delivery from the dealer. Got sunfilm, mats, idol, perfume, teflon coating (Not sure I can check if this was done) as 'freebies'.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:28   #13
BHPian

Hi Avinashpai, congrats on your new i20 CRDi. Happy and safe driving.
Soon following you. Waiting on i20 CRDi sportz delivery.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:24   #14

Thanks classicselva. Wishing you an expeditious delivery of your car.

I had another query - The BSIV Crdi was advertised as having a gear shift indicator. I have not spotted that in my car. Have they done away with it?

Also there was the extended 3yr warranty available on the non BSIV Crdis that no longer seem available.
Old 19th June 2010, 13:15   #15

Have driven about 20km this morning to my inlaws' place that is on the way to the Airport at Bangalore. The car was brilliant to drive on the new airport road. It was absolutely strain free and picks up very well. Found myself overtaking most cars without - I would think - really pushing hard. In city though, as I slowed down to crawl speeds, I find that it makes sense to downshift to the first gear unlike my other cars which I could drive comfortably at second in similar circumstances.

I also did a back to back drive of the Crdi with the Swift Diesel. The Swift Diesel is a brilliant vehicle too. Pickup seemed more linear than the i20. But the i20 seemed smoother. If only they introduced more features in the i20! It would sell even more than it does currently if that was possible!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks