Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 15:11   #76
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series (330i) : Review & Test Drive

Akshay ,I have not considered a Superb, but after having owned a skoda for couple of years am hell bent on a BMW or an Audi..am looking at the Q3.

I was not aware that the BMW kit offered in India has all these things incorporated, its quite a list which covers all aspects of the power increase and as you said coming from the makers there will be no issue of warranty. I shall surely go for a test drive in the 320d with infinity when I am back later part of the month. The 320 d then looks very promising. As for the paddle shifts I can imagine the novelty wearing off so that should not be a deciding criteria.

Thanks for your advise, now I am atleast clear about the BMW. I just have to wait and see what engines are offered on the Q3???
Old 6th March 2012, 15:18   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa View Post
Akshay ,I have not considered a Superb, but after having owned a skoda for couple of years am hell bent on a BMW or an Audi..am looking at the Q3.

I was not aware that the BMW kit offered in India has all these things incorporated, its quite a list which covers all aspects of the power increase and as you said coming from the makers there will be no issue of warranty. I shall surely go for a test drive in the 320d with infinity when I am back later part of the month. The 320 d then looks very promising. As for the paddle shifts I can imagine the novelty wearing off so that should not be a deciding criteria.

Thanks for your advise, now I am atleast clear about the BMW. I just have to wait and see what engines are offered on the Q3???
The Superb V6 is a real beast. Though not as pure a drivers car as the E90, it is not bad at all. And its quick with that 260bhp engine. Though the petrol costs can be bad.

Yup do test drive it and update.

The Q3 should come with the 2.0tdi with 177bhp and the 2.0t with 185bhp. Both with quattro I think. IMO this is not comparable to a 3 in terms of driving pleasure.

MODS - Time to make the last few posts into a new thread?
Old 7th March 2012, 10:58   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Superb V6 is a real beast. Though not as pure a drivers car as the E90, it is not bad at all. And its quick with that 260bhp engine. Though the petrol costs can be bad.

Yup do test drive it and update.

The Q3 should come with the 2.0tdi with 177bhp and the 2.0t with 185bhp. Both with quattro I think. IMO this is not comparable to a 3 in terms of driving pleasure.

MODS - Time to make the last few posts into a new thread?

Akshay, It is strange that I am looking at two different cars when I talk of a 320D and Q3 in the same breath but the reason I am looking at Q3 is

1) Build quality which is comparable to the BMW

2) The ground clearance, now having driven a lowered Skoda RS with GC of about 130mm it is heart wrenching if there is a scrape over the Mumbai road speed breakers and this has happened a few times plus I do go to Goa a lot with that car. This issue will not be there with the Q3 and I am not too sure of the 320D undercarriage not scraping.

3) With 2.0 L TDI engine to a good tune it will be good to drive, ofcourse the handling will not be as the 3 series.

4) lastly hoping that the higher spec Q3 will be around the 30-35L , as thats the max I want to put in the car. Price wise the 320D fits well.

Maybe this could go as a upcoming 30L premium vehicles comparison thread
Old 7th March 2012, 14:12   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa View Post
Akshay, It is strange that I am looking at two different cars when I talk of a 320D and Q3 in the same breath but the reason I am looking at Q3 is

1) Build quality which is comparable to the BMW

2) The ground clearance, now having driven a lowered Skoda RS with GC of about 130mm it is heart wrenching if there is a scrape over the Mumbai road speed breakers and this has happened a few times plus I do go to Goa a lot with that car. This issue will not be there with the Q3 and I am not too sure of the 320D undercarriage not scraping.

3) With 2.0 L TDI engine to a good tune it will be good to drive, ofcourse the handling will not be as the 3 series.

4) lastly hoping that the higher spec Q3 will be around the 30-35L , as thats the max I want to put in the car. Price wise the 320D fits well.

Maybe this could go as a upcoming 30L premium vehicles comparison thread
First and foremost you should figure, whether you want the crazy driving experience of the RS or you are done with that and want a more practical car.

1) Being an Audi the interiors will probably be better than the BMW and the build quality about the same.

2) If you could manage with the RS you can manage with a 3. Mine hasn't scraped in Mumbai even once, the suspension is stiff so you just got to slow down enough. Goa is possible and the roads will be totally smooth in a few months.

3) The 2.0tdi with a tuning box will be about the same as the 3 with the performance kit, but then the Q3 is AWD and heavier so driving experience will be nowhere close to the 3.

4) Price can't be predicted, you may end up disappointed because Audi seems to be pricing a slight bit above BMW. The current 3 with the discounts is a good deal, and the new 3 will be quite a bit more expensive considering the discounts on the current one.

Honestly after driving a modded RS the Q3 won't do it for you. You will still want a proper drivers car. Thats where the 3 comes in. It will be as quick as the RS without most of the drama but yet with RWD and its tail happiness it is superb fun. I think I'm going to stick with RWDs after owning the current 3, very few sport executive saloons are as tail happy as the 3.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:27   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

I wanted to read about this long forgotten car so I got here. The 2010/2011 3 Series in my opinion were stunning to look at, having curves at the right places yet an understated design.

I usually restrict myself to a drab, boring writing style intentionally because I don't feel one should use exaggerated adjectives for a car. For the E90 I cannot exercise that restraint, Freude am Fahren is an understatement for the car, even ahead of the present F30. A true athlete in formal guise. This car defines feedback and handling even today. Sure there were complaints like low rear space, high center floor hump and tight steering.. to all those I say you were looking at the wrong place. This is a drivers car out and out, specially the petrol model. None can match the way it communicates to the palms. No nonsense interior with the layout facing the driver, beige trim with well laid out switches makes it look sophisticated. No one can guess it was made to put curves to shame. I know commercials about cars are mostly exaggerations, not BMW. They mean it when they say "freude ist BMV". I've driven it once long back and I can safely conclude that this is the ultimate driving machine, any other German manufacturer seem 20 levels below.

dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 14:36   #81
BANNED

Used 330i advice needed

Hi Friends,

I am exploring a 2011 330i (MH registered, first owner, no insurance) with approximately 35000 KM running. Car is decently used and there's some work of Rs. 2 lakh needed on it, as per my trustworthy mechanic.

What should be the right price I should consider buying ?

Since this would be my first attempt in the land of BMW, any help would more than appreciated.

If anyone need more information for advice, kindly PM me and I will provide all necessary information I have.

Thanks in advance for your time !
anandjoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 13:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I've driven it once long back and I can safely conclude that this is the ultimate driving machine, any other German manufacturer seem 20 levels below.
Brilliant words in your entire post, I know exactly what you mean. Almost 10 yrs and 121,000 kms completed recently on our 330i. Still gives me the buzz and kick while driving like no other car, even more so around bends, on the hills.

Last edited by haldar_siliguri : 1st December 2019 at 13:26. Reason: Spelling errors. Sentence additions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks