Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 16:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

The THICK 6 spokes looked more suited for an SUV (no offence - just my POV), I think the current set of alloys is much nicer & suited to a sedan.

Cheers
Old 18th June 2010, 17:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

TDed a 530i couple of months back(or it was a 535i :-/ ), someone else called up the TD car and i ended up driving it hehe. What a awesome engine, had also driven the diesel side by side 530d. If i had to buy it will be 530i eye closed. The way the speedometer moves is incredible. i think the most powerful car i had driven :P , so its easy to get intimidated. but i like the petrol more than the diesel, can't begin to imagine how the same engine will feel in much smaller lighter 3 series
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 19:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Blackasta, punto/polo/i20 are not exactly "bread-and-butter", these are "premium hatches". The civic/camry substitutes are WagonR/i10 IMO.
Come on - WagonR/i10 are odd species from a third world country in US !
Agreed that the car market in US starts from Jazz/Yaris/Versa/Accent hatches (smart/beetle/mini are exceptions) - which find few takers, & the real car market starts from civic/corolla/sentra.
But don't you think its a bit harsh to compare a Honda civic to a Hyundai i10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Great review guys!

What fuel were you guys running on? I'm not sure if I missed it but I guess this clause should be included in every petrol car review as the fuel quality makes a huge difference. Also a Gtech Pro figures on actual timing would help.

@Lambo- Your E60 does not have the same design steering. This is the sports steering that comes only on the highline version E60.
The fuel cap image posted clearly shows the mandated 95 RON fuel. I guess our reviewers made no exception.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:17   #34
Team-BHP Support

Great review of a great car!

The 330i should satisfy the few enthusiasts who'd like a quick, petrol-powered sedan. It seems to be well priced too and 250 odd horses sounds great on paper. But I reckon people would settle for a 320d Highline. It may not be quicker but the difference isn't much. The lack of a spare tyre might shun a few customers away. Plus, the Audi A4 3.2 Fsi is proving to be more than just a handful. Not everyone will be able to exploit the Bimmer's handling ability either and the fact that the Audi offers a lot more space might just tilt it in its favour.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the comments guys!
It sure was a nice day for photography with those blue skies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
...Regarding the limited rear seat legroom, we should not forget that, in most developed/western markets,...
...It is simply not intended to be chauffeur-driven.
Absolutely, infact i had brought this very point up in the Nissan X-Trial review. However, we need to evaluate these cars in their Indian context - which more than likely will have the owner sitting in the rear seat (maybe more-so in the other 3-Series than the 330i though )

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
....The horns are as it is, a little harder than what you find in Japs, apparently to dissuade honking or something like that...
Most Germans have never even heard what their car's horn sounds like! Its a vestigial organ for them.

Quote:
What fuel were you guys running on? I'm not sure if I missed it but I guess this clause should be included in every petrol car review as the fuel quality makes a huge difference.
True, this can have a big impact. The car came tanked up from BMW so i can't really say, but we'd just have to assume that they had their own best interests in mind!
As for reccomended fuel etc - the filler-flap snapshot usually points that out.

Quote:
Also a Gtech Pro figures on actual timing would help.
Was hoping to do some runs, but we just didn't get the chance.

cya
R

NOTE : A few posts regarding the 316D and the 320D Efficient Dynamics have been moved to a new thread HERE

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 11:23. Reason: Splitting post between two threads.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

The 330i is only a halo model and hardly contributes to in terms of volumes which exactly is the reason why the 535i is not assembled in India. My dealer here has 2 330i's since quite a while now and the answer is always the same,"They just don't move off the floor". Ofcourse there are clients who do buy them but those are very few in numbers.

Regards,

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 11:22. Reason: Splitting post between two threads.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:59   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Not saying their other cars are not nice but I seriously think BMW and Mercedes-Benz offer superior products with far better dealers to deal with.
I do not agree.

The Audi A4 3.2 FSi is a fantastic all-rounder and a great product even when compared to the top of the line 3/C. It's substantially larger and more spacious, it comes loaded with plenty of features, it offers stellar performance, it handles very well and is very sure footed, and let's face it, it's quite a looker.

Give them more time and they will be right up there.
Old 19th June 2010, 00:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Audi A4 3.2 FSi is...a great product even when compared to the top of the line 3/C.
But almost 5L more expensive without any options.

Quote:
It's substantially larger and more spacious...
Larger, yes, but spacious? Just barely.

Quote:
...it comes loaded with plenty of features...
Which add another 5-7L to the already stratospheric price. Just ask Platzda how much that 3.0 TDI goes for.

Quote:
It offers stellar performance...
This one, I have nothing against

Quote:
Give them more time and they will be right up there.
But the A4 3.2 is not the one that's going to get them on top. I want them to be up there too, man. But look where their attention's been lately. The CE has been around since November and Mercedes is now in the game too since April. Seven months have gone by since BMW has been making unreal money on the CE and yet there is no sign of a competing A4 in the sub-30L range for the CE / EE. Their reaction time is incredibly poor, and with an engine (the 143 bhp 2.0 diesel) that's already a slouch compared to the recently uprated 320d / C220 CDI, it's not helping their case at all. They have to focus on volume sellers like the entry-level diesel if they are to continue what they have achieved in terms of brand building. And the dealerships, of course. What's worse, adding an LED strip to the A6 was never going to help them with things. Merc / BMW are doing very healthy business in the 40-50L segment while Audi sells next to nothing in comparison.
Old 19th June 2010, 01:10   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But almost 5L more expensive without any options.

Larger, yes, but spacious? Just barely.

Which add another 5-7L to the already stratospheric price. Just ask Platzda how much that 3.0 TDI goes for.

This one, I have nothing against

But the A4 3.2 is not the one that's going to get them on top. I want them to be up there too, man. But look where their attention's been lately. The CE has been around since November and Mercedes is now in the game too since April. Seven months have gone by since BMW has been making unreal money on the CE and yet there is no sign of a competing A4 in the sub-30L range for the CE / EE. Their reaction time is incredibly poor, and with an engine (the 143 bhp 2.0 diesel) that's already a slouch compared to the recently uprated 320d / C220 CDI, it's not helping their case at all. They have to focus on volume sellers like the entry-level diesel if they are to continue what they have achieved in terms of brand building. And the dealerships, of course. What's worse, adding an LED strip to the A6 was never going to help them with things. Merc / BMW are doing very healthy business in the 40-50L segment while Audi sells next to nothing in comparison.
Checkmate.

Very well said!

The 2.0 is a slouch in comparison. It's horrendously slow.

I've seen quite a number of 2.0 TDis doing the rounds in Bangalore. There are several 3.2 FSis as well. I was aware of the higher price but lesser equipment?

Is it the after sales - service that's hurting Audi?
Old 19th June 2010, 09:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I was aware of the higher price but lesser equipment?
The really good stuff about the A4 3.2, like the DriveSelect and the B&O audio are all very expensive options costing several lakhs, none standard kit. That's why it goes beyond 50L with all these things added to it.

Quote:
Is it the after sales - service that's hurting Audi?
It's what took my business away from them. My brother was keen on the A4 from day one, but the A.S.S. etc. were not proven. Further, the BMW's BSI plans really do present a strong case for BMW.

And now after seeing the thread on how Shreyans has botched up the Audi dealership, I'm glad I didn't go with them, else I would have been waiting for a car right now.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
I agree AUDI has been rising, but I think it's more of a rising star and not a brand which was always known or aspired to in India or by the majority of Indians, I also believe they gained a lot of ground only with Q7 and A4 with the LED's? (Correct me if I am wrong)

I know 2 people who choose the A4 over the 3/C and when I asked why? The answer given was "LED" Not saying their other cars are not nice but I seriously think BMW and Mercedes-Benz offer superior products with far better dealers to deal with.

Believe me you need to walk into 'Parsoli Motors, Ahmedabad' they are the dealers for BMW and the experience you get from them is second to none. The owner, The GM are all people who not only will make you feel at home but ensure you are satisfied before you give them the check. First time in my life I experienced when I was willing to give an advance check to them, I was refused saying why don't you let all the variants come in and then choose from the one you find better for your requirements?
Quote:
This is going a little off-topic, I realize. But since it's gotten upto here, lemme add. No less than six of my friends asked me why we didn't pick the Audi. It is surely gaining acceptance and mileage as a luxury brand, and heck, most people do love the looks of the LED'd A4 more than the C/3.

I think the people who buy a particular car because of the LED's, may as well NOT buy the car. If one cannot appreciate the finer points in a car, why spend all the money for the LED's

Nowadays you can get LED's fitted even on an Alto

All in all Audi is a great car to drive & own. The service here is at par with Merc & BMW. The sales staff is very well trained. The showroom is like WOW.

When I bought my A4 back in 2008, I knew that the LED wali A4 is coming, but I wanted an understated look & hence "chose" to go for the "outgoing model" I have had no regrets, as yet, and I have a FULL SIZED TYRE WITH ALLOY in the spare

P.S. No offence to people who love the LED wali lights

Cheers
Old 19th June 2010, 12:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the great review. Except that the following is a error. Its the Bavarian flag colours and not the propeller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Trivia: The BMW logo denotes a white propeller spinning against a blue sky, quite apt for this photo

Top quality pictures. I somehow do not like the rear of the BMWs. Doesnt look tight anymore from sides and rear. Or maybe I am biased since I had a year 1999 3 series.
Old 19th June 2010, 13:04   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Thanks for the great review. Except that the following is a error. Its the Bavarian flag colours and not the propeller.
I knew someone would bring this up

There are a few different theories about the origins of the logo, the colours, and what it means. I'm not saying i know which one is correct or not, but I chose one of the most common ones, that was also apt for the pic.

Another thing i was expecting someone to point out is that i used the term beemer.

We have full threads discussing both of the above :

What do these logos mean

Manufacturer logos and what they mean

Bimmer, beemer, beamer?

Cheers,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th June 2010 at 13:07.
Old 19th June 2010, 13:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Suhaas307,

Like I said they sure have good cars but their dealer experience is not at par with Mercedes / BMW, While this may not be applicable in all regions but the company does have issues in terms of deliveries etc. Also A4 is a FWD car unless you get into the 3.0 TDI / 3.2 FSI which are Quattro, but the mass choose the lower diesels which do their jobs perfectly well and for the enthusiasts in that range RWD offers a better platform (Which some may not agree but it is true to a certain extent) Make no mistake I am not saying Audi makes bad cars I am only saying BMW and Mercedes deliver the whole experience in a much better manner.

Ricky63,
Well don't worry about the relatives I talk about, I'm a gujarati and bling I guess is in for us

And coming back on topic, called up my dealer about these new variants and he has absolutely no idea on them, so is this an error from BMW India or are they upcoming launches?

Regards,
Old 20th June 2010, 11:07   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review, Rehaan, and stunning pictures to boot! Rated thread a well-deserved 5 stars.

This car is clearly built for the open road. That's where she excels : the engine gets into its own above 3,000 rpms, the steering weight is just perfect and the stiff suspension setup results in rich dynamics. For someone who uses the Autobahn / Expressway / freeways on a daily basis (Germans, Americans etc.), the 330 is ideal. Premium customers from these countries are also very particular about engine refinement, an area where the 6 cylinder layout delivers like no four-banger can manage.

On the other hand, its within the city & for daily usage patterns that the current 3 series (NOT only the 330i) falls short. The steering is much too heavy <60 kph, the ride is too stiff and the interior space is beaten by my humble Civic. I wasn't ever impressed with the current 3 series, and its truly showing its age now (all new generation expected next year). The last-gen C Class (mine) and A4 had similar characteristics. For urban runs, the steering of my C220 is heavy (though lighter than the 3) and the ride is simply too stiff.

Its precisely why the big three Germans are now moving to accomodate a broader audience. Make the car 2X better within the city, with only a marginal (10%) compromise on how it behaves at 200 kph. The new C Class may not have the steering feel of my C220 on the expressway, yet its a superior car to live with on a daily basis (excellent ride quality, lighter steering at low speeds and of course, more space). Ditto with the F10 5 series and the outgoing E60. End of the day, the newer Germans offer an immaculate balance between city & expressway behaviour, than the previous-generations ever did. What we are witnessing is a subtle change in product philosophy....a change that suits markets like India completely.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2010 at 11:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks