Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Just another love affair: Hyundai Verna (SX CRDI VGT)

I have always been a fan of the Type 2 Honda City VTEC but since it’s not available new off the shelf so asked myself is it worth it? I mean I am not a big time racer with cars and all and top it all up its a petrol so wont be too easy on the pocket for me, so thought of something close to it for daily use and easy to maintain.

So the Verna Affair Finally Begins Now
when I first drove the Verna back in 2008 when a friend bought it just out of the showroom, earlier I had an misconception that diesel cars are not fun to drive and I was very casual about it thinking maybe my friend has bought it due to affordable running costs and I respected his decision since I myself was a petrol car owner and it’s not easy on the pocket when one has to fill up every now n then. Anyways my misconception was cleared when he told me to drive it I was not very excited because I was thinking “he could have bought a Honda city in this price. What a dumb guy” I was literally angry at him. But since did not want to ruin his experience I giving a false happy face and sat on the driver seat got my myself comfortable and engaged 1st gear and started rolling felt the engine is sluggish then suddenly at 1800rpm I got a big push and I was like what the F slowed down and looked at my friend and he said “aaram se chala bhai” I started again and accelerated slowly and was waiting for 1800rpm and again the turbo kicked in I had a grin on my face as I shifted at 2.5K in all gears since the car was new. The power delivery was so beautiful that I was jealous of him and the Verna started growing on me, in fact I drove it for around 100kms after that and reached his place and got off bid goodbye and congratulated him again and sat in my 2000 lancer and drove off.

All the way home I was thinking how can I get my hands on one ASAP but I knew finances will not permit now and two months passed and I got over it and met my friend again he had completed 3500kms already so was driving fast so I asked him whether I can see how good it feels at high speeds, took it to an empty stretch slowed down shifted down in 1st and accelerated hard I was just wow the punch it was giving me so kept shifting at 4K all gears and I was doing 155 in 4th and shifted to 5th and slowing the speedo climbed to 190 I was like WOW with 32 all out , but I did find the car was not comfortable at those speeds steering was very light felt weird maybe I was not used to it that’s why. We stopped at a dhaba for a glass of lassi and chatted with him asked him about mileage and again I was shocked he was getting 15kmpl with ac on at all times and in a city like Kolkata 15 is amazing trust me.

Last year 2009 October end I sold of my lancer and have been trying to get one since months but budget was not permitting. So 10days back I started searching for used Verna’s which are in pristine condition but no luck. finally found one which was in pretty decent condition (2006 brown) 17Kkms with aura alloys along with stock tires I guess 175 and PU seats overall nice clean car. So I booked the car giving 10K advance but 2days later I was having 2nd thoughts because it was costing 5.10lakhs + approx 20K for name transfer and insurance so 5.30lakhs + it was not the top model I think because it did not have ABS, airbags and climate control. So I along with my mother went to mukesh Hyundai and took all the details the car was costing us 9.11lakhs (CRDI SX ABS EURO IV) and after talking and negotiation we came to a conclusion of getting 28K cash discount but my mother was liking the new I20 because of it’s interiors and styling and the fact that it is almost 2lakhs cheaper, I too was getting diverted so Returned home reviewed the I20 here @teambhp found out that the AC is not strong enough and being it only 90bhp and rethinking the experience I had with the Verna I was not too excited so back to my 110 horses which will change my fortune well that’s one thing the ad says anyways the next day went to the dealer I was taking the used Verna took the refund after reducing 3K it was ok since I was already getting a discount of 28K on the new one.

25th May, 2010
Today 4pm i reached Mukesh Hyundai and booked my Crystal White Verna (SX CRDI VGT) and I have specifically told them that I need the car on 25th June because it will be a Friday which is an auspicious day for us, so I have made it clear to them that if I don’t get the car by then I am going to cancel my booking (just dhamki). So now will have sleepless nights for a month and will review each and every thread which has Verna ownerships the ones which are left obviously.

15th June 17, 2010
I get a call from Hyundai that my car will arrive tomorrow morning and I’ll have to take care of the formalities by the 18th so they can send the car for registration on 21st and I get delivery as fast as possible maybe a day before as promised.

17th June 17, 2010
Today at 12pm got a reminder from Hyundai regarding the formalities & I am sitting at home in front of the laptop typing this, eyes which are sleepy as hell with dark circles and restless because as everyone knows the last few days are the worst.

18th June 18, 2010
I’ll be going to the showroom at about 4pm to see my Car and get my 1st sighting, as a matter of fact will give a complete detailed look at the car but I guess that will be more important when I take delivery will post pictures if I don’t forget to take any. I mean really the wait is really irritating as a matter of fact I was thinking weather I should take the car without registration not that I don’t want to but don’t want to be harassed by cops. What do u guys think?

Note: Not a big writer so please bear basically just penned down whatever I felt like. Hope it’s appreciated. Really looking forward for valuable inputs like run-in and other do’s and don’ts.

Mods: Hope i am not posting this in the wrong section because will be starting off the inital report soon.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:36   #2
BHPian

Congratulations on the Verna! You did a wise thing by going in for the SX version with ABS. It is absolutely essential in this car.

Do post some exterior and interior pics of your car. Oh, and enjoy the mad turbo!
Old 18th June 2010, 15:43   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on your dream ride.

Have fun and drive safe.

Was 1month from booking a waiting period or your requirement.

Couple of months ago when I booked my Verna (cancelled though for ANHC) in RED was made available in weeks time.

But for sure can say it's a beast when it comes to torque.

Enjoy it.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 18th June 2010 at 15:45.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new Verna! Happy munching miles...
Old 18th June 2010, 16:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.White color goes good with Verna.
I have almost done about 91000 kms in Verna.
Enjoy the drive.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:30   #6
BHPian

Congrats on your new Possession. Wishing you many many more happy (s)miles with it.
I too had a similar expression on my face when I too drove my friends Verna CRDI VGT. Actually I have an ANHC and was always feeling good about the surge everytime I used to hit the highways, until, my friend who bought a new Verna was kind enough to hand over the steering control to me once on our way back from Mysore.
Man, the torgue is addictive and it took me some time to get adjusted to the 1.8k surge.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:37   #7
BHPian

Congratulations. I had the same experience as yours, ufff..where on earth it gets so much power..man.really a rocket. I would only wish if Hyundai had paid some attention to handling.
Old 18th June 2010, 18:14   #8
BHPian

congrats.i have also verna vgt in white and it brings a smile to my face when i accelerate,and when i top up with premium diesel knowing the fact that running it is cheaper than santro.lovely.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:58   #9
BHPian

@all thanx for the well wishes guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
Congratulations on the Verna! You did a wise thing by going in for the SX version with ABS. It is absolutely essential in this car.

Do post some exterior and interior pics of your car. Oh, and enjoy the mad turbo!
when i drove my friend's car which is non ABS i did feel that i should opt for the ABS, will post pictures and my impression once i get the keys where they belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Congratulations on your dream ride.

Have fun and drive safe.

Was 1month from booking a waiting period or your requirement.

Couple of months ago when I booked my Verna (cancelled though for ANHC) in RED was made available in weeks time.

But for sure can say it's a beast when it comes to torque.

Enjoy it.
well 1 month was the booking time, i too wanted to go for ANHC but petrol is getting more expensive and besides i dont want to think twice before fillling her up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
congrats.i have also verna vgt in white and it brings a smile to my face when i accelerate,and when i top up with premium diesel knowing the fact that running it is cheaper than santro.lovely.
well i read here @teambhp that using premium diesel makes the car smoke so it's better to use normal diesel. Do give me feed back on this.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:21   #10
BHPian

I have been using hi speed and extra mile from day 1.my car has run 46000 kms.no hint of any smoke.Accelerates like it did when it was new.Just like to buy the best for my beast.
Old 19th June 2010, 16:29   #11
BHPian

Update

18th June, 2010 "Continue"

well when i went at mukesh hyundai by 4pm they took me to their storage house and i saw 3 white Verna’s, so matched the chassis no to figure out which one is mine. When i finally found mine i was disappointed because i could not examine the car very well as it was raining a little and parked right behind every car stored there, so just went near it and saw as much as i could. Well went back to the showroom and asked for the form 22 to match everything like month of manufacture, chassis no, engine no and everything that i knew off.

19th June, 2010

So finally the quest for the seat covers, sunfilm,mats & fullmatting has begun.
As everyone knows this is the most complicated think and I too am in a dilemma thinking what color seat covers should it be whether beige or completely in contrast. My budget is very normal 9K is the max I can afford for seat covers which complement the car.
So kept looking around with my mom starting from 12pm 1st Glix, 2nd Mukesh Hyundai, 3rd Xtreme
Well just to let everyone what I have chosen for my car because it looks sober enough. I am getting everything done at Xtreme Saltlake since their prices are fair and I had got all my lancer work done from them thus I trust their work.
Attached Thumbnails
Just another love affair: Hyundai Verna (SX CRDI VGT)-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by Lancer.ized : 19th June 2010 at 16:31.
Old 19th June 2010, 17:23   #12
BHPian

Even I got the same brand but U-CHEER (if I remember correctly) versions of AutoForm on my ANHC and Iam happy with it.

How much did they cost you?
Old 19th June 2010, 17:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car. I also have Verna. Verna is a real power in hands...
Old 19th June 2010, 19:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer.ized View Post

19th June, 2010

So finally the quest for the seat covers, sunfilm,mats & fullmatting has begun.
As everyone knows this is the most complicated think and I too am in a dilemma thinking what color seat covers should it be whether beige or completely in contrast. My budget is very normal 9K is the max I can afford for seat covers which complement the car.
So kept looking around with my mom starting from 12pm 1st Glix, 2nd Mukesh Hyundai, 3rd Xtreme
Well just to let everyone what I have chosen for my car because it looks sober enough. I am getting everything done at Xtreme Saltlake since their prices are fair and I had got all my lancer work done from them thus I trust their work.
For my Verna, I got very classy, beige seat covers, in false leather and fabric from Hyundai's accessory store. The sweat areas like the middle of the back and the bottom of the seat are in a jut kind of fabric, and the rest is false leather. They compliment the color scheme of the interiors very well too. I paid 6.5K for mine.

Hyundai also sells great rubber mats in beige, which do the job of protecting the beige carpet nicely.

For the sunfilm, I would highly recommend V-Kool. I got mine done for 12.5K (including front windshield), and the results are amazing. It cuts off UV radiation and heat by over 90 percent, while letting all the light in.

Check out my car pics here.

Last edited by newcoolgadgets : 19th June 2010 at 19:18.
Old 19th June 2010, 19:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Even I got the same brand but U-CHEER (if I remember correctly) versions of AutoForm on my ANHC and Iam happy with it.

How much did they cost you?
well this is costing me Rs 6800, The 2nd best best price i had got was Rs 8000 from Glix & Rs 8400 from the Hyundai Showroom.

Most Viewed