Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 11:31   #1
BHPian

Fiesta SXi 1.6 Moondust Silver - I love it

Dear freinds,

It has been a privilege to be part of this forum and i have been waiting to start my activities by writing this review as i am closing in on 1000kms with my new Fiesta. While there are plenty of reviews about this great car, it still deserves one from every owner and here it goes.

Previous ownership : Opel Corsa GSi 1.4 for 5 years - a good car and served very well.

Selection : Test drove Hyundai I20, Fabia Petrol, VW Polo Petrol, Fiat Punto and Fiat Linea

I20 - Stylish, descent space, good features, but did not like the air conditioning even after driving it for 20 minutes in chennai. I did not want to compromise on this
Fabia - Spacious, nicely laid out interiors, good to drive, Air conditioning was much better, but reviews and concerns over services, not many buyers scared me out.
Polo - Solid, good interiors, great finish, lovely wheels, nice drive, but waiting period of 3 months, gave up
Punto - really good to drive, nice air conditioning, solid, nice looking, but somehow, i did not want to take a chance with fiat and tata service as my experience on a TD itself put me off - unclean car, slow response from the sales guy and things like that
Linea - Stunning looking, luxury feel - unfortunately the length of the car was little too much for my car parking area
Fiesta - All above TDs were done before sitting in a Fiesta, the moment i drove it, i knew this is my car based on its power delivery. This became the benchmark and the rest looked "no go" to me. Fiesta was comparitively expensive by over a lakh, still deserve that for that power and handling alone.

Booking and delivery - dealth with MPL, Chennai and the process was absolutely smooth and the car delivered on May 19th as promised on the rainy Laila cyclone day. Inspite of heavy rains, i just went there as scheduled and took delivery of this beauty - a breif pooja, a token gift to the sales guy, a soan papdi pack in return and done. I was on my way.

I drove the car straight to LAL Enterprises for a tyre upgrade and changed my stock tyres to Michelin 185 65/R14. I paid an additional Rs.1300 per tyre after exchange. They did a quick job and was back on the road. (since it was raining, i was the only one in the tyre shop as i heard this place is full of people otherwise, lucky and easy) - Balancing and wheel alignment done for a reasonably additional cost.

Experience in general :
  • A great car
  • Silky smooth ride
  • No noise in the cabin (offcouse, we will hear the blarring noise of close up trucks and auto rickshaws for sure !)
  • Short and sweet gear shift
  • Visibility from all angles - good
  • Solid on the road and brakes are efficient
  • Overall looks - simple, proportionate, straight forward, appealing and a descent road presence
  • Headlights and horns are powerful enough for safety
  • Suspensions are good and a comfortable ride (while corsa was much more smoother and i like leaning on its boot and pushing it downwards for fun ! - it jumps like a spring matress - Corsa - THE CUSION)
  • Accelaration was awesome and this is most liking factor in this car - i simply love the confidence, power delivery of this car in various gear ranges.
  • Music system - a very descent one, but for complete audio nirvana, one needs to upgrade - i probably will upgrade just the speakers later and that will do for me.
  • Air Conditioning - very cool in position 1 and excellent - no dearth of power while the compressor is on and a very minute different in acceleration (Corsa drops power heavily when the HVAC comes into action - that was not comfortable for me)
  • Alloys - Stocks are OK, while i would still prefer something with a gun-metal and aluminium/silver finish combi for this moondust silver coloured car.
  • Chrome features - i know many people do not like this upgrade by Ford. But, fortunately this looks cool on the silver car
  • Front Grill - i need to mention this. I preferably like the previous black front grille with came with the earlier versions of Fiesta - that was bold, distinct and prominent. This one is very thin and somehow for me, not very good looking
Upgrades apart from tyre : I fixed 3M CS35 for windows and rear + CR70 for the windshield from Balaji Agencies and it costed me Rs. 9200 with 3 years warranty. The shade gels with my car colour well and the CR70 for sure is very effective. They did a great job and i could not find any irregularities.

Issues observed :

A feeble noise from the dash board and on careful inspection it just resembles the sound which comes when the indicators are on. I am sure, something is loose inside as when i hold the dashboard forcefully, it stops.

The driver side seat when leaned back feels a little loose and probably something needs to be tightened.

Else so far so good and i am approximately getting a FE of 11.5 kmpl and i am just using the regular unleaded petrol. My DTE is working fine as of now and there are no fluctuations.

Overall, me and my family are enjoying this car everyday and my kids wants me to drive at slow speeds and for longer distances just to make sure that they sit in this beauty for a longer time. ha ha. (i should teach them fuel conservation and effect on global warming !)

Thanks for your patience in reading through this and would await any suggestions and feedbacks from much experienced owners. Have a great time.

swami
Old 21st June 2010, 11:40   #2
BHPian

Swami, Congrats from another moondust silver SXI owner!

Did I miss the cost breakup somehow?
Old 21st June 2010, 11:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Swami,

A Big Congrats on the Fiesta a bit late I thought so, already 1K kms on the odo. A good shift from the hatchbacks to sedan.
Apart from the cost pls post the pics soon along with the accessories with their cost. Would help a lot of would be Fiestians.
Did you check out with the dealer whether the warranty on suspensions gets void when you changed to 185 tyre size.
Great driving ahead, drive safely and take care of the car.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Swami, Congrats from another moondust silver SXI owner!

Did I miss the cost breakup somehow?
Good catch sanjayc - i missed it somehow. The Onroad price quoted was 8.02 lakhs. I reduced the Essential pack (approx 5k) and reduced the Insurance of 26K as i did not opt for the E.Pack and i paid an insurance (outside) of 11700 (NCB 50%) - so eventually my Onroad worked out to 7.82L, but still got the Mud Flaps, 3rd Year EW and Door scuffs included as part of the deal.

swami
Old 21st June 2010, 12:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Swami,

A Big Congrats on the Fiesta a bit late I thought so, already 1K kms on the odo. A good shift from the hatchbacks to sedan.
Apart from the cost pls post the pics soon along with the accessories with their cost. Would help a lot of would be Fiestians.
Did you check out with the dealer whether the warranty on suspensions gets void when you changed to 185 tyre size.
Great driving ahead, drive safely and take care of the car.
Thanks. Yes, i agree it was a late review at 1000 kms and i am sorry as i thought i could add some quality to the review by driving this car a little.
Accessories :
3M CS35 - Windows and rear - Rs.4200
3M CR70 - Windshield - Rs. 5000
Total 9200 after a bit of negotiation
Tyre :
Old tyre taken back for Rs. 2500 per tyre
New tyre cost - Rs. 3800 per tyre
So, paid 1300 x 4 - Rs.5200
Number Plate : got it done from speedex - Rs.400

Suspension warranty - i checked and they were non-commital - i just took a chance hoping that nothing will go wrong.

I have only added these so far as the SXi comes with all the essential things anyway. Sure, i will take some photos soon and post.

swami
Old 21st June 2010, 12:07   #6
BHPian

congrats..pics please.

any idea whether the limited edition 1.6 EXI is available in chennai
or only in select cities?
Old 21st June 2010, 12:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Swami,
Congratulations on your new Ford Fiesta 1.6.
As you drive more and spend more time with it, you will fall deeper in love with your car.Fords are so fun to drive.
And yes, no review is complete without a pic. You please post pics of your beauty.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
congrats..pics please.

any idea whether the limited edition 1.6 EXI is available in chennai
or only in select cities?
The LE 1.6 petrol varinats were normally available for North & West India cities whereare LE Diesel variants were available for South Indian cities as per the ads during the recent LE offerings. Dont know the present status, a bit weird logic by Ford.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Another proud Fiesta Owner - Congratulations!

As said, you are bit late on giving the ownership post, also missing the photographs of your beauty?
Old 21st June 2010, 14:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Fiesta. Though this car is there in the market for quite some time is a real good car. You will love drive it and will find reasons to get behind the wheel.

Do post the pictures of the car sir.

By the way, does the SXi version come with alloys and leather seats?
Old 21st June 2010, 14:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the Fiesta. Though this car is there in the market for quite some time is a real good car. You will love drive it and will find reasons to get behind the wheel.

Do post the pictures of the car sir.

By the way, does the SXi version come with alloys and leather seats?
Yes, the pictures are pending and i will sure take some shots and post soon. The SXi comes with vinyl leather seats and alloys factory fitted.

Thanks everybody.

swami
Old 21st June 2010, 15:19   #12
BHPian

Congratulations Swami for owning this great car. Wish you happy mile munching. You are sure to enjoy the power of this beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Dear freinds,
Else so far so good and i am approximately getting a FE of 11.5 kmpl and i am just using the regular unleaded petrol. My DTE is working fine as of now and there are no fluctuations.
Sanjayc, look at this FE figure. I do not know whether swami is driving in city or highway. But this figure is coming from Chennai. Isn't it a little thought provoking?
Old 21st June 2010, 16:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Good catch sanjayc - i missed it somehow. The Onroad price quoted was 8.02 lakhs. I reduced the Essential pack (approx 5k) and reduced the Insurance of 26K as i did not opt for the E.Pack and i paid an insurance (outside) of 11700 (NCB 50%) - so eventually my Onroad worked out to 7.82L, but still got the Mud Flaps, 3rd Year EW and Door scuffs included as part of the deal.

swami
Did you get a 60K corporate discount? Regular on road price is 8.6L for the 1.6 SXi if I am not mistaken. This includes insurance at 28K but I am guessing you bought your own insurance for 19K.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:57   #14
BHPian

Congrats Swami!
You have bought the most well deserved and well loved car of Team BHP!
Fiesta is a superb and complete car. I have the 1.6S and just completed 1000kms too.
Just be careful of the quality of fuel you get as I am facing this issue currently.

Enjoy your ride buddy and you will never stop smiling behind the wheel of a Fiesta.
Post some good pictures soon. We all want to see your new baby!!

You can follow Gileads or my thread for a comprehensive upkeep and analysis guide for this beauty!

Enjoy and drive safe!!
Old 21st June 2010, 21:20   #15
BHPian

congrats swami. nice to see a good number of 1.6s ownerships popping up in team-bhp now.

Most Viewed